Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,862
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
2,132

Midnight Cupid

Summary:

Rating: F
Warnings: Nice Madam Director and some might see a little Jen/Abby. It was unintentional
Notes: Thanks always to my quick beta, Cath
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash Mailing list

Work Text:

Midnight Cupid
by Glenda

Jen Sheppard was sure her ears were playing tricks on her, but there it was again, the loud screech of a trumpet. She opened her door and followed the sound of the mariachi band all the way down to Jethro Gibbs' desk.

"Kind of late isn't it, Jen?" Gibbs asked, turning off the blaring music.

"I was just about to say the same thing to you. I had paperwork to finish up; what's your excuse?" Jen leaned against the partition that separated Ziva and Jethro's workspace.

"Just tying up a few loose ends." Gibbs hit a few spaces on the keyboard.

"Did Franks get away?"

Gibbs sat back in his chair. "Yeah, he should be back at the cantina in time for happy hour."

"How about Tony? His head didn't get too scrambled, I hope."

Jen watched Jethro's blue eyes harden. It was never a good sign. It usually meant something was bothering the older man.

"He's fine," Gibbs said.

"That's good. I'd hate to see anything happen to him."

"Really?"

"He was instrumental in keeping everyone together after you left. I was sorry to lose him as a team leader."

"Then why haven't you given him another team?"

Shit, Jen thought, should she tell Jethro about her offer? She did promise Tony it was just between them. But maybe it was time for Jethro to realize what a prize he had in the younger man?

"What makes you think I haven't?"

Jen saw the conflict on Gibbs' face; he wanted Tony but he didn't want to stand in the younger man's way either.

Now was her chance to make her move and make everyone just a little happier.

"Tony really surprised me. I thought I was going to have to hold his hand the whole time, or deal with the rest of the team talking about how he wasn't you. But damn it all, he did good; you taught him well, Jethro."

"Sounds like you and DiNozzo got pretty close."

"What do you mean, Jethro?" Jen gave Gibbs a coy smile. She knew what Jethro wanted, now she just had to get the man to admit it to himself.

Gibbs stood up and leaned over his desk. "I think you know exactly what I mean. When did you and Tony get on a first name basis?"

Jen smiled. "You're jealous."

Gibbs snorted.

"You are so green."

"Jen, I don't care who you're messing around with."

"I know you don't."

"Then what the hell are you talking about?"

"I know you don't care who I'm spending my time with, as long as it's not DiNozzo."

"You're really starting to lose it."

Jen crossed her arms over her chest. "Listen, Jethro, you and I both know that there's nothing going on between us any more. Right now, we're two friends talking. I was stupid enough to think at one time there could be something, but that was before I watched you."

"Watched me what?"

"Look at Tony."

"Whoa, Jen, now wait just a minute. If you're saying what I think you're saying, then you are so barking up the wrong tree."

"Gibbs, remember Paris and that cab driver; there was only one way you were getting the information out of him, and it wasn't with francs." Jen gave Jethro a wink. "Now, what was that you were saying?"

"Fine, believe whatever you want." Gibbs looked around the bullpen. "But, I happen to know that Tony's strictly a woman's man. So, even if what you're saying was true, which I'm not saying is or isn't, I wouldn't stand a chance."

Jen reached out, placing her hand on Jethro's. "You might be surprised. Tony and I spent some nights talking after you headed for Mexico. He was devastated that you left him. Not NCIS, DC or even the country, but that you left him.

"The sadness in his voice when he found you had disappeared after clearing Ziva was enough to break the coldest of hearts."

Jen could see she was starting to make a dent in Gibbs' thick head.

"Talk to him, Jethro."

"I don't know what to say."

"Maybe start with telling him you're glad he's okay, and that you missed him, too. You did miss him, right?"

Gibbs chuckled. "Yeah. Once I was done mourning Kelly and Shannon, I kept getting flashes of green eyes and a goofy smile. I figured who I was thinking about when I saw Tony again."

"You need to tell him that." He needs to know that he didn't throw his career away for nothing, Jen wanted to say, but that damn promise again.

"Jen, I-"

"Jethro, I swear on everything I know to be true in this world, Tony loves you, and he'd do anything for you, but don't make him wait. At some point in time, there will be a new team that needs a leader, and Tony will take the job. If I have anything to say about it."

"That almost sounds like a threat?"

"It is. You can't believe that he's just going to sit around waiting for you to get tired of all this and go away again to get a team."

"I... I never really gave it much thought."

"Maybe you better. Tony's very loyal but how long do you expect him to wait around to come into his own?"

"Sounds like you think I'm holding him back, Jen."

"No, I don't. I want Tony to stay here. I think you and he along with Ziva and McGee make a hell of a team. One of the best I've ever seen, and to be honest you make me look damn good. I'd love to have some of that spread around to a few other teams but I doubt the morale drop would be worth it."

"I doubt Tony would have a problem with morale. He wasn't too happy to see me back. He does deserve a team of his own. Maybe I should have stayed gone."

Jen was tired of Gibbs' self pity, and she didn't really care if Tony got mad at her for blowing his secret. It was time everyone knew what kind of person Anthony DiNozzo really was.

"Oh for God's sakes! Fine. Jethro, I've already offered Tony a job as team leader."

"That's great. He'll make a great one."

"It was in Spain, and he turned it down."

"He did what? Of all the stupid, idiotic things to- "

"He turned it down to be with you, Jethro."

"With me?"

"Yes, to be with you. In whatever form you're willing to give. Whether it's as co-workers, or more. I know he wants it to be more, just like I know you want it to be more."

"There's a reason for rule twelve."

"I give up," Jen said throwing her arms up in the air. "You win. Stay here and be a lonely bastard, if that's what you want. I'm going home. I can't believe I'm standing here at midnight on a Friday trying to get you to see reason. Get off your damn ass and go get your man. A man that for some unknown reason loves you."

Jen turned around and headed back up to get her bag and coat. She was pleased to see that Jethro had left when she returned. With any luck, he was heading for Tony's but she was going to have to wait until Monday to find out for sure.

~~\\~~

The following Monday morning, Jen stood at the top of the stairs looking down at her people. She had to stop herself from doing a little dance and pumping her fist in the air when she saw Jethro and Tony walking in together.

She knew better than to jump to the obvious conclusions, after all, she had been taught by one of the best. She knew that NCIS agents verified what they saw.

Jen stood back and watched her targets before she was able to find her first clue that her plan had worked.

Jethro had finally shaved off that horrible moustache. Guess Tony didn't want to kiss anyone with a hairy caterpillar on their lip, not that she blamed him in the least.

She watched as Jethro escorted Tony to his desk, and gave the younger man a quick pat on the back. Jen almost lost it when she saw Tony shifting his ass around on his chair. Jethro must have kept the poor man busy all weekend.

Then Jethro disappeared when Ziva and McGee wandered in. She decided to do a little hands-on investigating; okay, so, it was eavesdropping. As she headed down the stairs, she heard Ziva asking about Tony's weekend.

The blush on the younger man's face would have rivalled a stop sign.

"My weekend was quiet. Never left the house, actually," Tony said, looking Ziva in the eye.

Jen couldn't resist, she leaned over and whispered in Tony's ear. "I'll bet you never made it out of bed."

"I... I."

Tony was saved by Gibbs' return.

"Okay, people, saddle up. McGee get the truck. Ziva, go get Ducky and tell him to meet us on the Kittyhawk. We've got a dead petty officer."

Once the others were gone, Gibbs handed Tony a cup of coffee. That alone would have been enough to tell Jen Sheppard that she'd managed to play cupid. Gibbs never brought her coffee until they had been lovers for a month, and only then on cold nights when they were on a stakeout.

"Drink this, Tony, you'll be no good if you fall asleep."

"Nothing for me?" Jen asked.

"I've got something for you, but it's going to have to wait until later. Let's go, DiNozzo."

Jen was sure she saw Jethro patting Tony's ass when the elevator doors shut.

"Director Sheppard?"

Jen turned to see her assistant holding a box. "Yes, Cynthia?"

"These are for you."

The woman handed her a box full of red roses. "They're gorgeous," Jen said, pulling out the card. There was one word written on it, 'Thanks.'

"Nice flowers," Abby said, leaning over Jen's shoulder.

"Cynthia, can you take them up stairs? I'll be along in a minute."

"Of course, Director."

Abby smiled. "So, I guess everything went well Friday?"

"Just like we planned. Lunch later?" Jen asked.

"Sure, unless Gibbs bringing me something from today's case."

"Then we'll have to make it supper."

"See you later, Jen."

"Bye, Abby."

Jen headed back upstairs confident that her best team was on the job, and for now two of them were as happy as they deserved.

The end.

http://www.shadowandsoul.com