Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
7,943
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,186

The importance of family

Summary:

Rating:R
Pairing: N/A
Archive: Yes
Fandom: Emergency!
Summary: While Johnny deals with the death of his father, he comes to regret the relationship that never was.
Content Warning: Harsh language. Death. HANKY ALERT!!!
Copyright: May 2002 By Robin R. Neher
THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES. Submitted through the Makebelieve_YG mailing list.

Work Text:

The importance of family
by Robin R. Neher

Roy DeSoto stood at the grave of Keith Gage in support of Johnny Gage, his best friend and working partner at station fifty-one.

"And then he was gone." Johnny whispered, wiping tears from his cheeks.

"Tell me what you're feeling." Roy gently encouraged.

"John Roderick," A female voice said. "Why are you here?!"

"To pay proper respect to my father." Johnny replied.

"Respect?!" The Native American woman spat. "How can you use that word?! You're the one that turned your back on your family when you were seventeen years old! You never cared for them or for your people!"

"Grandmother- " Johnny began.

"You have no right to call me that!" Mrs. Waxana Gage spat. "You're here to dance on my Son's grave!"

"No, all I want is to pay my respects!" Johnny argued.

"Johnny, let's just go. We have to catch a plane back to LA anyway." Roy suggested.

"You are Roy DeSoto." Waxana realized.

"Yes, Ma'am." Roy replied. "Mrs. Gage, Johnny told me about what happened when he was seventeen. He didn't kill your Son, nor did he cause his mother's death."

As they were talking, Johnny left the grave. He knew well why his Grandmother hated him and he understood. It was because of him that his father and mother were dead.

Back at the graveside, Waxana turned to Roy.

"Roy, everytime I look at Johnny, I see what never was." The old lady said. "You see, Keith had dreams for that boy, big dreams. He wanted Johnny to go to college and one day take over the family business."

"Johnny had dreams of his own." Roy guessed.

"All he could talk about was being a fireman." Waxana shook her head. "He'd visit the fire station down the street from our house everyday after school. He thought those firemen were heroes."

"To kids we are." Roy told her. "That's not why Johnny and I do it though. We fight fires and rescue people cause it's what we love."

"But, what do you have to show for it though when you can do it no longer?" Waxana wondered. "Are you married, Roy?"

"I was. We divorced last year." Roy replied. "I'll admit my job was a big factor in the divorce."

"Children?" The old lady asked.

"Two." Roy answered. "Thirteen and ten respectively."

"How long since you seen them?" Waxana inquired.

"Not since the divorce. Joanne has sole custody." Roy told her. "It was best for them. Why do you want to know?"

"Roy, don't you miss having a wife and family?" The old lady wanted to know.

"I do, but I can't go back and change what happened." Roy offered.

"I only wish Johnny could see how important he was to his Dad." Waxana shook her head again. "If only he could know how much Keith and Lucille loved him. That's Johnny's mother. That boy was as ungrateful as they come from the day he was born."

"How so?" Roy asked.

"Roy, Johnny was a good boy mind you, but he did have a stubborn and independent streak a mile long." Johnny's grandmother recalled. "Always had to do things his way Johnny did."

"He still does." Roy laughed. "That streak has gotten him into trouble with our Captain back in LA more times then I can count. I know that independent streak well."

"Then you understand." Waxana realized. "It wasn't a problem when Johnny was small, but as he grew into a young man, that stubbornness drove father and Son apart. His poor mother, her heart was breaking a little more each day. She wanted so for Johnny to follow the Seminole way of life, but he wanted none of it. It was Johnny's way or no way."

"Waxana, did you try to help them in any way?" Roy asked.

"I suggested that it might be better if Johnny were put in a home for troubled youth, but his parents thought that they could solve the boy's problems themselves. They gave him everything that a boy could want, but he just rebelled against, them, his tribe, our rituals, everything. The turmoil was so great that Keith and Lucille divorced just after Johnny turned sixteen. Lucille was so devested that she took her own life shortly after. After she was buried, Johnny packed his things and left for Los Angeles. You know the rest."

Roy nodded.

"I understand your resentment of Johnny now." Roy said, quietly. "What I don't understand is why you blame him for his father's death? His father died of cancer."

"That's what the doctors say, but Keith really died of a broken heart." Waxana insisted. "A broken heart brought on by his only child's rejection of him."

"Uh, Roy, we have a plane to catch." Johnny reminded his friend as he rejoined him at the gravesite.

"Mrs. Gage, my sympathies for your loss." Roy said as he and Johnny turned to leave.

"John Roderick!" Waxana called. "I warn you now, do not ever grace this sacred site with your ugly presence again! You have no family or friends here!"

"By your wish." Johnny answered, then left with Roy for their rented car, parked nearby.

****

The next day, Roy and Johnny were back on duty at 51's. Throughout the day, Johnny was noticeably quiet. Cap and Roy understood that Johnny was going through his own kind of grief over his father. Chet Kelly, however, was far from understanding.

"I don't understand why Gage went to that funeral anyway." Chet piped up. "We all know that you didn't give a damn about your old man, Johnny. You were just a punk kid the last time you saw him. You go there to dance on his grave?"

"Chet, I'm warning you, don't start." Johnny hissed. "I'm in no mood."

"Why did you go back to a reservation where you knew you weren't wanted?" Chet kept on.

"Chet!" Johnny warned again.

"Knock it off, you insensitive twit!" Cap ordered. "Johnny, don't listen to Chet."

"I never do. Chet, my parents and I didn't have the best of relationships and yes, I left when I was seventeen, but I chose to leave on my own accord. I left because my father and I were miles apart. I also wanted no part of the Seminole life. I hated every aspect of it."

"Johnny, you don't owe us any explanation, Pal." Cap soothed.

"I have to get this out." Johnny insisted. "I was not an angel as a kid, I admit that. I could be difficult."

"No kid is an angel." Roy told Johnny. "How did you feel about your father? How do you feel about him now?"

"I have no feelings for him." Johnny answered. "I never got to know him enough to care about him. I guess I never wanted to know him. I was a kid, and like most kids, I thought I knew all the answers. I pushed my parents away. Now that both my folks are dead, I wished I hadn't done that."

With that, Johnny got up from his chair and went to check the squad before the morning's first run. Roy then turned to Chet.

"You big insensitive jerk!" Roy said, softly. "That man in the apparatus bay there is going through a rough time as it is!"

"What did I do?" Chet asked. "I didn't say anything John didn't already know!"

"Johnny went to that service to honor his father!" Roy yelled. "You had no damn right to say what you did! How insensitive can you get?! You'd laugh at a funeral!"

"Roy, take it easy." Hank tried to step in.

"Captain, the last few days have been horrible for Johnny!" Roy informed Hank. "You know that his own Grandmother blames him for his mom and dad's deaths?"

"Well, he sure contributed to their demise!" Chet argued. "He was ungrateful for everything they ever gave him! YOU HEAR THAT, GAGE?! YOU'RE A KILLER!!!"

"Chet, back off!" Hank demanded.

Roy's eyes were flashing with anger as he glared at the Irishman. He was on the verge of throwing the short man against the nearest wall.

"Cap, do something about him or I will!" Roy hissed through his teeth.

"Oh, I'll do something all right." Hank smirked. "I'll just give Chester B. all of John's chores, for say, a month?"

"Cap!" Chet whined.

"Chet, you were being rather rude to him. I think it's only fair, Pal." Cap told him.

"Aw man!" Chet whined again, then marched off to do Johnny's latrine duty.

"Oh, and, Chet?" Cap called. "I wanna see a big grin on your face while you're cleaning."

"Aw, go suck a hose!" Chet muttered.

"What was that?" Hank asked him.

"I said, you have a booger hanging out your nose." Chet stammered.

"I thought so." Hank nodded as Chet entered the latrine.

Roy followed a short while later, entering as Chet was cleaning the toilet.

"Roy, no! Roy, don't!" Chet was heard to scream.

Cap and the others ran in to see Roy dunking Chet head first into the toilet.

"How does that grab ya, ya little shit?!" Roy demanded. "Always the comedian aren't you?! Always the smartass! Johnny!"

"Yeah?" Johnny replied.

"Run in and get that box of prunes from my locker!" Roy ordered.

"Right!" Johnny replied, then ran toward the lockeroom.

"Hey, Cap!" Roy called. "Chet's hair makes a pretty good toilet brush!"

"Is that right?" Cap asked.

"Cap, I think our friend here has a case of colic!" Roy grinned.

"Roy, don't!" Chet sobbed. "Let me up, please?"

"Let him up, Roy." Hank instructed.

"But, Cap!" Roy protested.

"Let him up. That's an order." Hank insisted.

Roy pulled Chet up to his feet.

"What do you say now, Chet?" Roy asked. "Think you're so funny now?"

A crying and coughing Chet shook his head. His uniform was soaked and he shivered with cold.

"You lay off Johnny, got it?!" Roy hissed. "You and the Phantom leave him alone or else you won't be so lucky next time!"

"Get this water cleaned up, Kelly." Hank instructed.

"Yes, Sir." Chet replied, through chattering teeth as the tones sounded.

Station 51, traffic accident with fire. At the intersection of 10th and McCall. 10th and McCall. Timeout: 08:50.

"Station 51, KMG-365." Hank responded.

"Cap, I can't go like this!" Chet shrieked, then sneezed.

"Bless you and no, you can't go change." Cap replied. "C'mon, Chet."

Chet sneezed again as he took his place on the engine.

"Besides, the fire will have you dry in no time and your turnouts will keep you nice and toasty." Marco teased as Mike guided the engine from the bay behind the squad.

***

When the squad and engine arrived on scene, it was to a pile up. Several cars were on fire with people trapped inside.

"LA, Engine 51, we have a traffic accident with several cars on fire and people trapped! Respond me a full first alarm assignment and four ambulances!" Cap requested, via the radio.

Engine 51. Sam returned.

Just then, a big explosion rocked the cars.

"Mike, lets move back a little." Hank ordered, then got on the radio again. "LA, engine 51, we've had an explosion at this location! Respond a foam truck and two additional squads! Squad 51, standby."

Squad 51. Johnny acknowledged.

"We'd better back off too for now." Roy decided as the cars exploded a second time.

"Roy?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah?" Roy answered.

"Don't you ever feel guilty when we just have to standby like this?" Johnny asked his friend.

"Yes, but I know too that we can't help anyone if we become victims ourselves." Roy answered. "Thinking about what Chet said back at the station?"

"No, what grandmother said at the funeral." Johnny told him. "If only I hadn't pushed dad away and rejected my people's teaching-"

Johnny, you couldn't have saved your parents!" Roy told him. "As for your grandmother, I think it's easier for her to blame you then to admit that she herself may be partly to blame for what happened! Where the hell was she when you and your dad were having those fights?! She could've offered to have you live with her!"

Johnny realized that his friend was right.

"As for your people and their traditions, you were never exposed to them, so how could your mother expect you to understand? You only spent summers on the rez, right?" Roy asked.

"Two weeks every summer." Johnny answered as foam 127 arrived on scene along with more squads and other apparatus. At this time, Mike Stoker ran over to the squad at this time.

"Something's wrong with Chet! He just collapsed!" He told Roy and Johnny.

"I'll get the gear!" Johnny said, quickly getting out of the squad.

***

Grabbing their gear, Johnny and Roy made their way over to the engine.

"Cap, I'm fine!" Chet was insisting.

"Chet, you fainted!" Hank told him. "You're not going anywhere until Roy and John check you out!"

"Chet, you collapsed for some reason!" Johnny spoke up. "A normal person doesn't just faint! We can't risk-"

"Aw, screw you and screw you too, Roy!" Chet cut him off. "You guys aren't doctors! What do you know?! As for you, Captain, I'm a grown man who's perfectly capable of deciding whether I'm sick or not!"

"Chet, I'm not letting you near those cars until-" Hank began.

"CAPTAIN STANLEY!!" Chief MConnikee boomed.

"Sir!" Hank replied, startled.

"Just what is the meaning of this?!" The Chief demanded.

"Sir, Fireman Kelly collapsed." Roy explained. "He won't let us examine him."

"Chief, I just fainted, that's all!" Chet insisted. "I'm fine now!"

"Are you sure, Lad?" McConnikee asked.

"Sir, I'm fine, see?" Chet asked, rising to his feet.

"He looks okay." The Chief mused. "In this heat, it's not suprising that he passed out. Chet, you may be alright, but I'd feel better if Gage and DeSoto checked you out."

"Okay." Chet gave in.

After the checkup was complete, Chet turned to Roy.

"I'm sorry for being so difficult." Chet said. "I know you and John only have my best interests at heart."

"Chet, we care about all we serve with." Roy told him. "We're not trying to take your rights away from you, we're here to make sure that we're giving the department the most healthy firemen we can. We just wanna make sure that you won't endanger other fireman's lives unnecessarily."

"I know that too." Chet replied. "Can I go back to work now?"

"You feel up to it?" Johnny inquired.

Chet nodded.

"Go give Marco a hand." Cap instructed.

"Yes, Sir." Chet nodded.

****

A few hours later, the fire was out and Johnny and Roy were back at 51's. As Roy backed the squad into the bay, Chet was waiting to meet him.

"Johnny, I'd like to apologize right now for my earlier remarks." Chet said.

"Careful." Roy warned his partner.

"What remarks?" Johnny asked.

"What I said about your family." Chet answered.

"Is this for real?" A skeptical Roy asked. "How do we know you're sincere?"

"Roy, at least I'm trying!" Chet defended himself.

"Chet, I believe your doing this for self serving reasons." Roy accused. "I don't think your apology is sincere."

"Roy," John began.

"You're the type of guy, and I use that term loosely, that gets his kicks by playing jokes and making fun of people! You crossed the line this time! Making fun of a person's family is way out of line! Chet, you're the biggest asshole I've ever met" Roy said, his voice full of contempt for the Irishman. "There's not an ounce of decency or sensitivity in you!"

Just then, the tones went off.

Engine 51, squad 36, man trapped. 1000 Monroe St. 1000 Monroe St. Crosstreet: 6th. Timeout: 11:21,

"Engine 51, KMG-365." Hank answered as he and his crew left the station, code R.

****

"Roy, don't you think you were just a bit hard on Kelly?" Johnny asked.

"You would think that after what he did?" Roy asked of him. "I just don't understand you, Johnny. The guy makes fun of your family, yet you think I was too hard on Chet? I have no compassion or sympathy for a man who could be so crude."

"Look, Chet Kelly reacts to stuff with humor. Some people are like that." John countered.

"Maybe, but where do you draw the line?" Roy asked his partner. "I draw it at Kelly taking cheap shots at you! His apology was a self serving way of trying to kiss your ass. There are just some things that should not be joked about."

With that, Roy went to the kitchen for coffee while Johnny set to work cleaning the apparatus bay.

****

Meanwhile at their call, Chet Kelly seemed distracted to Hank Stanley.

"Chet? You okay?" Cap asked as 36's medics worked on the man hand had been caught in a garbage disposal.

"I'm sorry, Cap. This has been a lousy shift so far for me." Chet shook his head. "First I get yelled at, then dunked in a toilet. If that isn't bad enough, I'm made to respond to a call in wet clothes, given Johnny's chores for a month, then for the topper, Roy tells me that I don't have a sensitive or decent bone in my body."

"So?" Cap prompted.

"It's hurts." Chet said, sadly. "It hurts that people don't understand."

"What is it you want us to understand?" Hank asked, seeing the sensitive side of Chet emerge.

"Dammit, I'm a person too!" Chet burst into tears. "Excuse me!"

Hank watched as Chet walked out of the house. Chet definitely didn't want to be seen crying, by anyone. Cap, however was concerned and cornered the short man by the engine.

"Chet, what's wrong, Pal?" Cap wanted to know.

"I care!" Chet wept. "I care plenty! I wouldn't be in this fucking job if I didn't! I'm tired of people thinking I'm a jerk!"

"Chet, nobody said you were a jerk." Hank soothed.

"Roy called me the biggest asshole he'd ever met!" Chet sniffed. "Cap, I make jokes cause it's how I cope with the job!"

"I think that's how you deal with everything." Mike Stoker spoke up. "You use humor as a way of hiding the real Chester Kelly. It's refreshing to know that he hurts and cries like all of us."

"Your problem is you hide behind the Phantom." Marco Lopez added.

"Chet, I'd buy that, except what you do to John smacks of harassment." Hank accused.

"What harassment?" Chet sniffed again.

"Chet, Johnny Gage is on the receiving end of your pranks. That's called harassment." Mike added.

"Johnny never complained." Chet argued.

"Not to you maybe, but he may to the Chief one of these days." Hank warned.

***

When the engine arrived back at the station a few minutes later, Chet gulped to see Chief McConnikee standing in the bay.

"Kelly, let's go in the office, Son." McConnikee insisted, his tone serious.

"Am I in trouble?" Chet wanted to know.

"I'm afraid so." The Chief replied. "We'll talk in the office."

"Yes, Sir." Chet replied, following Cap and the Chief.

Once in the office with the door shut, the Chief began.

"Gage has filed a complaint against you." The Chief informed Chet. "He claims that you made some unkind remarks about his family. Is what he says true?"

"Yes, Sir." Chet answered, quietly.

"Why would you do that knowing Gage has just lost his father?" Cap asked.

"Cause he's an insensitive ass!" Roy boomed, slamming the door open. "He's been like that from the day Gage and I started work here, Chief! Anything that Kelly says here will be self serving!"

"DeSoto, don't you have lunch to make?" Hank hinted.

"Let him say his peace, Captain." The Chief instructed. "Roy, is Chet always this way toward your partner?"

"Ninety-nine percent of the time." Roy answered. "John's about ready to break Kelly's legs."

"Now wait a minute!" Chet started to yell in his defense.

"Shut up, Kelly!" Hank cut him off.

Roy whirled on Chet.

"I've had it up to here with you!" Roy spat. "The pranks, the insensitive remarks, the racial slurs! Chief, Chet here gets his kicks by making fun of my partner's mixed heritage!"

"Is that true, Kelly?!" The Chief demanded.

"They're just jokes, Sir!" Chet whined. "DeSoto's blowing the whole thing out of proportion!"

"Am I?" Johnny asked, standing by the door. "I don't consider your idea of humor funny! It's fourth grade! The kinds of jokes that kids would tell because they don't know any better!"

"Alright, I've heard enough." The Chief declared. "I'm sustaining your complaint against Kelly, Gage. Kelly, it has become obvious to me that you have a problem with minorities, especially John Gage. Effective immediately, you will report to headquarters for reassignment."

"Yes, Sir." Chet replied. "I'll go clean out my locker."

"I'm not done yet, Kelly." McConnikee added. "I'm also recommending to the Chief Engineer that when the next class of Paramedics begin training, that you be among them."

"But, Sir-" Chet protested.

"Kelly, you have alot to learn about compassion and sensitivity toward others. By being a Paramedic, maybe you'll learn those lessons." McConnikee soothed.

**************

THREE MONTHS LATER..........

"John? See you in the office, Pal?" Cap requested as the younger man finished dressing for work in the lockeroom.

"Sure." Johnny replied, following Hank.

Once in the office, Hank turned to the young man.

"Chet has completed and has gotten his certification as a Paramedic." Cap informed John. "You've just volunteered to be his partner."

****

Johnny sat up in his bed, breathing hard and soaked with sweat. As he looked around wildly, he realized that he'd been having a nightmare. Johnny sighed as he left his bunk and went into the latrine for a shower. Stepping under the hot spray, the young medic began to calm down.

Chet Kelly as a Paramedic? That'd give anyone nightmares! Johnny thought to himself as he lathered up. The jar of pickles I ate before bed didn't help either.

As Johnny rinsed off, another realization hit him.

Damn! Why didn't I see it before? Johnny's mind raged. I went to that funeral wanting Grandmother to forgive me! How can I ask her to do that when I can't forgive myself? I know I didn't kill my parents and that's all that matters. I'm the one that has to put what happened all those years ago to rest.

Stepping out of the shower, Johnny put on clean boxers and a T-shirt. He then made his way back to the dorm where Roy and the others were sound asleep. He quietly made his way over to Chet's bunk, which was across from his own.

As he stood over the sleeping man, Johnny began to say what was in his heart.

"Chester, I know that you are not racist by nature." Johnny whispered, so as not to awaken Chet or the others. "It is my wish that one day soon, you will get to experience first hand what it is like to be judged on race or nationality. Only then, will you understand the world from which I came and the pain that I myself have faced. You have had an easy life, unlike that of your parents and grandparents. You have never had to face prejudice as they have."

"Johnny, what are you doing?" Roy whispered. "It's two in the morning!"

"I'm sorry." Johnny whispered back. "This is just something I have to do."

"Can't it wait til later?" Roy asked.

"What's going on over there?" Hank Stanley called from his own bed across the dorm.

"Uh, nothing, Cap." Johnny quickly answered. "Go back to sleep."

Roy quickly grabbed his partner by his arm and led him out back.

"Okay, Johnny, what were you doing to Chet?!" Roy demanded. "It better not be another prank!"

"Far from it." Johnny answered. "I was just wishing that he could face what I have my whole life."

"I see." Roy nodded his understanding. "You want him to see and feel racism as you have."

"Exactly." Johnny nodded. "I just wish the Chets of the world could hear how racist and insensitive they sound to the rest of us."

"Johnny, that's just it. The Chets of the world don't know how they sound." Roy told him. "They didn't have to face what you always had to. If you want Chet to stop with the remarks, you're the one that has to stand up to him. You have to send him a clear message that you will not will no longer tolerate his insensitivity or his racism."

"How?" Johnny asked.

"Just be honest. Just come out and say it, no sugar coating " Roy advised as the tones sounded.

Johnny and Roy quickly dashed back into the station as the dispatch came over.

Station 51, baby sick. 2471 Morgan Ave. 2471 Morgan Ave. Crosstreet: Joseph. Ambulance is responding. Timeout: 02:25.

"Station 51, KMG-365." Hank acknowledged as Johnny donned his bunker pants and boots as did the rest of the crew.

"Hurry it up, Gage!" Cap commanded.

"I'm coming, Cap!" Johnny hollered struggling to get his boots on and running toward the squad at the same time.

It was then that Cap noticed that Chet was snickering.

"What'd you do to him?!" Roy demanded, grabbing Chet's boots from him.

"Oh, great! Chet switched Johnny's boots with his!" Roy realized as his partner was stumbling all over himself.

"LA, engine 51, respond another squad to our incident!" Cap requested as engine 51 left the station.

10-4, engine 51. Dispatch responded. Squad 10 in place of squad 51, baby sick. 2471 Morgan Ave. 2471 Morgan Ave. Crosstreet: Joesph. Timeout: 02:30.

"Damn!" Johnny yelled, throwing off his turnouts and Chet's boots. "If that kid dies cause we weren't there, I'll kill Kelly!"

"That was a stupid thing to do." Roy agreed. "Do you have a spare pair of boots in your locker?"

"My spare ones are in the shop for repair." Johnny shook his head.

"Look in the storage closet and see if any of the other guys are your size." Roy suggested.

Johnny did so and found a suitable temporary replacement for his turnouts. As he was trying them on, the tones went off again. This time, Johnny was ready.

Squad 51, man down at the corner of 12th and Vine. 12th and Vine. Timeout: 02:45.

"Squad 51, KMG-365." Johnny acknowledged as the squad rolled out, Code R.

***

Ten minutes later, the squad was on it's way back to the station.

"What a waste of time!" Johnny griped. "A passed out drunk!"

"It's all a part of the job, Partner." Roy soothed. "You make us available?"

"Squad 51, available." Johnny advised dispatch.

Both men groaned as tones came over the squad's radio.

Squad 51 with engine 51, man down. 5498 Hartman St. 5498 Hartman St. crosstreet: Loring. Ambulance is responding. Time: 03:01.

"Squad 51, 10-4." Johnny responded as Roy turned on the lights and sirens.

Engine 51, 10-4. Hank's voice came over the radio.

The squad was the first to arrive one scene minutes later. As Johnny went to gather the needed gear, he tripped.

"You alright?" Roy asked.

"These boots are too big!" Johnny answered. "I'm fine though."

Engine 51 arrived on scene at this time. Cap got off and came over to the squad.

"Gage, those pants are swallowing you up." Hank noted, trying not to laugh.

"He keeps tripping cause of Kelly's boots." Roy told him.

"Kelly!" Hank bellowed.

"Yeah, Cap?" Chet replied, from his seat on the engine.

"Give John back his boots." Cap instructed. "John, give Chet back his."

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied as Chet came over. "Cap, with your permission, I have something to say."

"I figured you might." Hank smiled.

"Kelly, I've had it up to here with your racism." Johnny told him. "I don't know what the hell your problem is, but enough is enough. I earned the right to be a fireman and a Paramedic. I had no special treatment, no affirmative action, none of that. I worked and worked hard to get where I am and I will not tolerate a stupid, uneducated big mouth making fun of something he don't understand or using me to get his kicks."

"Okay." Chet nodded.

"I'm not through yet." Johnny told him. "If you have a question about where I come from, I'll be happy to answer it, but everytime you make a smart ass comment or play a prank like the one tonight, it just reveals your stupidity not only to me, but to everyone around you as well."

"Are you through?" Stanley asked.

Johnny nodded.

"Go give Roy a hand then." Hank told him as Chet went back to the engine. "And, Chet?"

"Yeah?" Chet answered.

"I'm gonna be watching your every move and every word very closely from now on when you're on duty." Hank warned the shorter man. "You'll be on probation for the next six months and you'll be on a very short leash. One even remotely racist comment or I learn you're so much as planning a prank, I'll go to the Chief, got it?"

"Yes, Sir, loud and clear." Chet replied.

****

An hour later, Engine 51 was back at the station. Chet climbed down and headed straight for his bunk without a word to any of his colleagues.

"What's with him?" Marco wondered as his too headed for the dorm.

"I put him on probation." Cap sighed. "Just ignore him, Guys."

A few minutes later, the squad returned to the station. Johnny was anxious and Roy knew it.

"Johnny?" Roy asked.

"Roy, I hate to say this, but with Chet here, I don't feel safe in this station anymore." John stated. "It's gonna be even worse now that Stanley put him on probation. It's me he'll come after, you know that, don't you?"

"Johnny, you're being paranoid!" Roy scoffed. "Chet won't try anything!"

"But the second Cap turns his back, he will." Johnny insisted. "He can't watch Kelly every minute of every shift."

"That's true, he can't." Roy agreed. "More drastic measures are needed. Come on."

Johnny followed as Roy led the way into the dorm, then to Cap's bunk.

"Cap, we have a big problem." Roy began. "Johnny here just told me he doesn't feel safe here anymore."

"John?" A concerned Hank asked.

"It's true, I don't." Johnny simply stated. "Not with Chet here."

"Johnny, I'm watching him very closely." Cap tried to assure the Paramedic.

"You can't watch him every minute though." Johnny replied. "I just think I should be able to do my job without him bothering me. Tonight, it was my boots he messed with. Next shift, it could be my airbottle or my mask. It could be a rope that may well be my lifeline at a rescue."

"Johnny, I understand your concerns, but I can't transfer Kelly for no real reason." Cap told him.

"Cap, Johnny could've gotten hurt tonight, no thanks to Chet!" Roy defended his partner. "I want him outta here or Johnny and I will go to another station!"

"Guys, hold it." Cap held up his hands. "There has to be another way."

"Johnny cannot continue to share a station with Chet! That's all there is to it!" Roy insisted.

"I sure hate to have to choose." Hank shook his dark head. "Chet Kelly is a good fireman."

"So are Mike Stoker and Marco Lopez." Johnny answered. "Being a good fireman is not all it takes to make a shift work. Chet Kelly is a menace, that's all there is to it."

"Okay, I'll draw up the papers." Hank sighed. "Chet will be gone by next shift."

"Thank you." Roy smiled.

"You two owe me big!" Hank warned the medics. "How am I gonna explain this to Chet?"

"Just tell him that for the good of station 51, he's being transferred." Roy suggested.

"He may think he's being disciplined." Hank worried.

"It's a chance we have to take." Johnny shrugged.

****

Two days later, Johnny arrived for work to find Chet's replacement, changing for work in the lockeroom.

"Morning." Johnny greeted the newcomer.

"Hi." The new man smiled. "Chester Kelly Sr. at your service."

"John Gage." Johnny grinned, crookedly. "Is-?"

"Yes, he is." Chester smiled. "CJ is my first born Son. The one you call Chet."

Just then, Cap walked in.

"Chester, I see you met John." Hank smiled. "John, Chester here has just completed Paramedic training at Rampart. You're gonna see to his field training."

Johnny swallowed at this news.

"Where's Roy?" He wondered.

"Roy is field training someone in San Francisco for six weeks." Hank replied "Johnny, you're growing too attached to Roy. Too dependent on him. Last shift, he was your mouthpiece."

"He's right, Youngster." Chester agreed. "Cap has to be able to send Roy to help train others. You need to learn how to be your own person and to trust other partners like you do Roy."

*******

"AAAAHHH!!!!" Johnny screamed as he sat up in his bed.

"Gage, what's your problem now?" Demanded Chet Kelly from his bunk.

"Will you two shut up?!" Demanded Hank Stanley from his own bunk across the dorm.

"Yeah!" Agreed an annoyed Roy from his bunk next to Johnny's. "There are some of us who'd like to sleep!"

Much to everyone's relief, the lights came on and the tones went off.

Engine 8, engine 51, engine16, engine 2, station 110, truck 103, Battalion 14. Structure fire. 8147 W. Bailey. 8147 W. Bailey. Crosstreet: Hannah. Timeout: 02:14.

"Engine 51, KMG-365." Cap acknowledged as the engine roared from the station.

"Johnny, you're still sore at Cap, aren't you?!" Roy demanded to know. "You're sore cause he wouldn't transfer Chet!"

"Damn right!" Johnny replied. "I should be able to-"

"So should Chet!" Roy cut him off. "We can't just ship a man out for no reason! Look, Johnny, even if Chet were transferred, who's to say that whoever takes his place won't be worse? Think about it. We all have to put up with people we don't like."

"I had a nightmare that Chet's dad was assigned to be my partner for six weeks!" Johnny shuttered.

"Chet's dad?" Roy laughed. "Chet's dad is a Battalion Chief out of station 10! Why would he wanna be a Paramedic now?!"

"Me and my dreams!" Johnny shook his head.

Both men were alert as the tones sounded again.

Engine 60, squad 51, unknown type rescue. 601 Otter Ave. 601 Otter Ave. Crosstreet: Broadrick. Timeout: 02:45.

"Squad 51, KMG-365." Roy answered, then joined his partner in the squad.

As they left the station, each man readied himself for the job ahead, pushing Chet and Johnny's dream from their minds. As the sped toward the scene in the darkness, the radio came to life.

Squad 51, engine 60 requests your ETA. The dispatcher's voice came over.

"LA, Squad 51. Our ETA is twenty-five minutes." Johnny reported.

10-4, Squad 51. LA responded. Engine 60, squad 51 reports their ETA is twenty minutes.

"I wonder what they have?" Johnny asked.

"Could be anything." Roy answered.

When the squad arrived on scene, engine 60's Captain was waiting to meet them.

"Boys, we were working a gas explosion." The Captain informed them. "Chief Kelly went in and still hasn't come out yet."

"How long ago, Cap?" Johnny asked.

"Twenty minutes ago." The Captain replied.

"Hey, Roy, this is Chet's dad!" Johnny exclaimed.

"I know." Roy nodded. "Cap, I'd really appreciate it if you'd not put anything over the radio about this. Not now."

"Of course, DeSoto." The Captain nodded.

****

As Roy and Johnny were about to begin their search, engine 51 arrived on scene and Chet jumped off.

"Where's my father?!" Chet demanded, donning his turnouts and running toward the burning house. "Where is he?!"

"Chet, Roy and John are just starting their search." 60's Captain tried to assure the man. "Let's let them work."

"You think I'm gonna stand here and wait while someone else goes in?!" Chet screamed, then shoved Roy and Johnny out of the way.

"Chet!" Johnny called. "Get back here!"

Chet ran into the house anyway.

"You okay?" Roy asked.

"My face mask is cracked." Johnny replied. "I hit it when I went down."

"Me too." Roy nodded.

"Can you guys still see through them?" Hank asked.

"I think so, Cap." Roy nodded. "We gotta find Chet too now."

"How'd you guys find out about this anyway?" Johnny asked.

"We heard the initial report over the radio and the call for help." Hank explained. "We knew we couldn't keep this away from Chet. He had a right to know that his father was missing."

"It's not your fault, Cap." Roy soothed as he and Johnny made their way toward the collapsing house.

Making careful entry, Roy and John searched the inside as best they could, covering as much ground as possible. A few minutes later, they came upon Chet, holding his father's seemingly lifeless body.

"Chet, we have to get out of here!" Johnny said, his voice muffled by his airmask.

Roy took Chester, Sr. from Chet, then led the way from the house. Johnny then helped a weeping Chet to his feet and guided him from the house.

"Cap!" Johnny called to Hank.

Hank came over and guided Chet over to engine 51.

"I gotta be with my Dad!" Chet sobbed, as Marco and Mike helped Chet off with his gear.

"Chet, your dad's in good hands, Pal." Hank assured him. "Roy and John are doing all they can for him."

"Cap, I'm gonna take the squad into Rampart." Johnny told Hank. "You can ride with me if you want, Chet."

"Thanks, John." Chet sniffed.

"We'll be right behind you in the engine." Cap replied. "John?"

"Yeah?" Johnny replied.

"Thanks." Hank smiled.

****

A few minutes later, Roy. Johnny and Chet were sitting in the ER waiting room of Rampart general hospital. An uncomfortable silence was all that filled the room as the men awaited word on Chester, Sr. Johnny wanted so to reach out to Chet, but he knew that even though he'd lost his own father just days ago, he could hardly claim to understand what his colleague was now feeling.

The anguish on Chet's face was easy for both Johnny and Roy to read.

"Somebody, please say something!" Chet exploded, suddenly.

"Chet, I'm sure Dr. Brackett will have something to tell you soon." Johnny offered.

"I just never thought that my father could ever get hurt." Chet said, his voice cracking. "I never thought of the possibility that he might be killed."

"Neither did I." Johnny softly replied. "Nobody ever thinks that someone they love could die suddenly. I know I didn't when I left home at seventeen. You were right, Chet."

"About what?" Chet asked.

"I was a punk kid who thought he knew everything then." Johnny stated. "I was a jackass."

"No, Johnny, you were a kid." Roy stepped in. "Like most kids, you were stubborn and didn't wanna hear anything that their parents had to say. Your mother and father didn't listen to you either. As far as your Grandmother is concerned, it sounded like she didn't care about you either. My family was much the same as yours."

"How so?" Johnny asked.

"My father was a man who hid in his shell." Roy explained. "Dominick DeSoto was alot like his Son. I don't ever remember him speaking to me all the time I was growing up."

"Never?" Chet asked.

"I don't even once hearing him call me Son." Roy answered. "I know he never once said he loved me. My mom said that Dad loved me, but I never saw any sign of it."

****

Cap and the rest of 51's crew arrived at this time.

"How you holding up?" Cap asked Chet.

"Nobody's told me anything." Chet told Hank. "Why won't they tell me anything?!"

"The doctors have to examine him first, Pal." Hank replied. "They'll have something to tell you soon."

"Chet?" Dr. Kel Brackett said, coming into the ER waiting room.

"Doc, give it to me straight. Is he hurt bad?" Chet asked.

"I'm afraid so." Kel told him. "He has a ruptured spleen, broken ribs and a broken leg. He needs immediate surgery."

"Can I see him before you take him down?" Chet requested.

"Yeah, for just a minute." Kel answered. "I mean it."

"Johnny, I know I don't deserve this, but will you come with me?" Chet asked, quietly.

Johnny was taken aback by the request.

"Johnny, please? I need your support right now!" Chet pleaded.

"Okay." Johnny agreed.

"He's in treatment two." Kel told them.

Johnny followed at Chet led the way.

"What was that about?" The doctor wondered.

*****

Chet and his father talked for a few minutes, then, Chief Kelly was taken away for surgery. Johnny put a comforting arm around his friend as they left the treatment room.

"Dr. Brackett will do all he can for him, Chet." Johnny assured the distraught firefighter.

"I'm so scared!" Chet wept. "I don't wanna lose him, John!"

"I know." Johnny replied, walking Chet back toward the waiting room where their fellow firemen were.

"Is there anyone we can call, Pal?" Cap softly asked as Chet and Johnny rejoined him and the others in the waiting room.

"No, my Mom died last year and my sister and Dad haven't spoken in years." Chet answered, tearfully. "Johnny?"

"Right here, Chet." Johnny answered from the chair beside him.

"I'm sorry for all those horrible things I said when your Dad died." The Irishman sniffed. "It was stupid of me to say those things."

"Don't worry about it." Johnny patted Chet's shoulder. "I'm not sure I wouldnt've reacted the same way if our positions had been reversed. We all react differently to things that scare us or things we don't understand. You do it with humor, that's all."

"And with insensitive remarks." Roy piped up.

"Roy," Hank warned.

"He's right, Cap." Chet admitted. "I can be insensitive at times, just like I was to Johnny after his father's funeral. There was is no excuse for what I said and did. I'm suprised that he's even here now after all that."

"Chet, you aren't the only one who can be an ass sometimes. I can too." John told him. "I think it's all just a part of being macho in front of others. It's a front to hide our soft underbellies."

"It's just being a typical male." Joanne DeSoto smiled. "You guys have a tough exterior, but inside, you're all big, cuddly teddybears. Tell me something. What the hell is wrong with just admitting you care for each other? Why do you feel the need to tease and torment each other all the time?
Can't you boys put aside the horseplay and just act like the caring and sensitive men I know you all are?"

"Jo, how'd you know about this?" Chet asked.

"Dixie called me." Jo explained. "Chet, I'm praying for your father."

"Thank you." Chet smiled, weakly.

"We all are." Johnny added.

"With that said, You're all coming to Roy and I's house. Chief McConnikee has called in replacements for you at the station, so I don't want any arguments." Joanne declared.

"Who's arguing?" Cap threw up his hands as Joanne led all from the hospital.

****

Later that night, everyone else went to bed, but in Roy's den, Chet and Johnny were still awake.

"What am I gonna do?" Chet wondered. "What am I gonna do if Dad dies?"

"Chet, you can't think that way." Johnny told him. "You gotta think positive, for your sake and his."

"I've also gotta be real." Chet countered. "Dr. Brackett did say that Dad may not make it."

"He did." Johnny agreed. "There is a chance he may not survive."

"Johnny, were you and your father ever close?" Chet asked.

"No, we weren't." Johnny answered. "He wanted me to live the Seminole life. I didn't."

"So?" Chet prompted.

"So, he disowned me." Johnny told Chet. "When I was seventeen, he said I was no Son of his."

"That's too bad." Chet sympathized.

"Not really." Johnny replied. "You can't live your life the way someone else wants you to. You have to live the way you choose."

"Even if that cost you your family?" Chet wanted to know.

"I was never close with my family." Johnny explained. "Even when I was living with them, we were never close."

"Do you wish that you were?" Chet wondered.

"I have a good life." Johnny answered. "I have my station 51 family and my family at Rampart. As for my family of origin, they asked me to diappear, I did."

"And you're okay with that?" Chet probed.

"To them, I'm a disgrace." Johnny shrugged. "Even if they wanted to, they can't accept me. To do so would mean their deaths."

"Sounds harsh to me." Chet remarked.

"That's life in the Seminole tribe." Johnny told the Irishman. "Tell me about the Chief."

"My father was, I mean is, alot like me." Chet replied.

"He a prankster?" Johnny asked.

"Who do you think taught me how to play pranks?" Chet grinned.

"Ah, so that's where you get it from." Roy grinned as he and Jo entered the den.

"Did we disturb you?" Johnny asked.

"We were awake anyway." Jo answered, sitting down next to Johnny. "Johnny, Roy and I love you too and consider you family as much as you do us. I was sorry to hear about your father."

"Me too, Junior." Roy added. "Chet, did your father play pranks on a Johnny?"

END PART 19