Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,374
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,070

Double dating

Summary:

Fandom: Starsky & Hutch
Rating: Pre-slashyness
Feedback: please!
Submitted through the CreativeWriting_101 mailing list.

Work Text:

Double dating
by Willow

Starsky leaned back in the booth and tapped his foot to the music. He smiled as he watched Hutch and Candy dancing, well Candy danced and Hutch, he sort of gyrated. But Starsky loved to watch him dance. He laughed out loud as Hutch made a little twirl. He turned to look at Janice as he heard her glass smack the table. She had her arms crossed and what could only be called a scowl on her face.

"Something wrong?"

"Why do we always have to double date?"

"We don't always."

"We do more than not. You see him all day and practically every night. I hardly see you at all."

"I thought you liked Hutch?"

"It isn't about whether I like him or not."

Starsky frowned. "Then what is it about?"

"Why do you bother asking me out? Why don't you just go out with him?" Janice yelled. She got up, pushed the table out of her way and stomped off to the ladies room.

Starsky sat there with his mouth open. After a moment Hutch and Candy came back to the table.

"Was she mad?"

Starsky rolled his eyes at Hutch who shrugged and grinned. "I think so, Candy. Can you go see if she is okay?"

"In the bathroom?"

"Yes."

They watched as she headed to the restroom, mini shirt twitching.

"Sharp one you got there, Hutch."

"She's not the brightest bulb but she's fun." Hutch grinned. "You two have a fight?"

Starsky shrugged. "I don't know. One minute we're having a good time and the next she's saying we don't spend enough time together."

"Want Candy and me to disappear?"

"Nah, she'll cool down. Maybe Candy can talk some sense into her."

They shared a look and then started laughing. A few minutes later Candy came back to the table.

"Where's Janice?"

"She left."

"Left?"

"Yeah, she called a cab from the ladies room. They had a payphone in there. Isn't that funny?" She giggled.

Starsky got up and headed for the door. He looked around the front but there was no sign of Janice or a cab. He went back to the table.

"She gone?"

Starsky sat back down in the booth. "No sign of her. I'm gonna head over to her place, see if I can find out what's wrong." Starsky stood and pulled out his wallet. He tossed a few bills on the table. "See ya tomorrow, Hutch. Night Candy."

***

Hutch checked the street again, no sign of Starsky yet. He looked at the clock again. Where was Starsky? If he didn't show up soon they were going to be late. Finally he saw the red and white Torino pull up out front. He grabbed his jacket and headed down the steps.

"Hey, I was begining to wonder if we were going to work today."

Starsky grunted but made no other comment. Hutch kept glancing over as Starsky drove but Starsky kept his eyes on the road and his mouth shut. Hutch wasn't sure if he'd had a late night with Jancie or a fight. He decided not to bring it up until Starsky did. Which turned out to be a long, long time?

"Where do you wanna go for lunch? That Mexican place you were talking about?" Hutch would have rather walked on hot coals than to try that place Starsky had mentioned but his partner had been in a funk all day. He'd hardly strung two sentences together all day.

"Nah, I'm skippin' lunch. I need to take off a little early tonight. Taking Janice out to dinner."

"You two make up?"

"Guess so."

"Is something wrong? Something you wanna talk about?"

"No. Nothin' to talk about."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure." Starsky pulled some reports out of their box. "Go to lunch. I'm gonna do some paperwork."

***

Hutch heard the phone ringing from the hallway. He pushed open the door and headed for the desk he and Starsky shared and grabbed the phone.

"Detective Hutchinson."

"Can I speak to David Starsky?"

"Janice? He's down in records. Can I take a message?"

"No." She hung up.

Hutch looked at the phone as he replaced the receiver. What was her problem? He'd thought they got along okay. Well, not great but he tried to be pleasant around her. He still wasn't sure what Starsky saw in her.

***

Hutch was at the end of his rope. It had been a whole week of Starsky acting strange. Well, stranger than normal. Everytime he'd ask Starsky to do something, either for lunch or after work, he had plans. With Janice. What was it? Starsky had never shut him out because of some woman he was dating before.

"Hey, that monster film fest is on tonight. Want to grab a couple of pizzas and some beer and watch it at my place?"

"Can't. Got tickets to "Midsummer" or something like that."

"Shakesphere? You're going to see a play?"

"Something wrong with that? You think I ain't got class or somethin'?"

Hutch surpressed a smile. "No, I'm not saying that. Just surprised."

Starsky frowned. "Just cause I didn't go to college don't mean I'm stupid."

"Starsk, I would never say that." He reached a hand out to touch Starsky's arm but Starsky pulled away.

"I gotta go." Starsky grabbed his leather jacket and left.

***

"Did you enjoy the play, David?"

"Huh, yeah, it was fine."

"You seemed distracted." Janice put her fork down. "What is the matter?"

Starsky shrugged. "Nothing. So, did you like that play?"

Janice smiled. "Yes, I liked it a lot." She looked at David closely then sighed. "Is this about Ken? I bet he made some comment about you seeing this play didn't he? I've told you again and again, just because he's been to college doesn't mean he knows everything. I've heard the way he talks to you. I still can't believe he gave you that book about being left handed."

Starsky moved his food around his plate. "Nah, nothing to do with him." Starsky was thinking about the play, two couples but not with the people they should be with. He glanced at Janice. What were they doing together? Why did he keep going out with her? They really didn't have anything in common. He looked around the restaurant. Take this place for example. One of the most expensive places in town but that wasn't it. He hated the food and the snotty attitude, Janice always accused Hutch of reminding people he came from money but it was really Janice who always brought it up. She seemed to resent the fact that Hutch came from money but was a cop.

So why was he here? He'd felt badly that night Janice had accused him of spending more time with Hutch than her. He hadn't really thought of it before but he guessed she was right. None of the other women he had dated had mentioned it before. So he decided there and then to spend more time with her and less with Hutch. Trouble was he was discovering he didn't like her much and missed Hutch. He smiled to himself. This was kind of like the play they had just seen. Wouldn't Janice love that? After going to see a play she insisted on he discovered he was with the wrong person. Not that Hutch was the right one, they were guys. Starsky gave a snort of laughter and Janice glared at him.

end part 1