Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-07-26
Words:
20,804
Chapters:
6/6
Kudos:
22
Hits:
3,798

Dream A Little Dream

Summary:

When several of the Enterprise officers meet for drinks in an out of the way bar on a backward planet, Commander Data is approached by a young woman seeking asylum. A mystery concerning her origins generates a controversy that dregs up unpleasant memories for the android commander and when the woman turns out to be something other than what she seems, the Enterprise is thrust into a moral dilemma. Do they help her or abandon her to her fate.

Chapter 1: One

Chapter Text

Title: Dream A Little Dream
Author: Poodle
Rating: PG-13
Summary: When several of the Enterprise officers meet for drinks in an out of the way bar on a backward planet, Commander Data is approached by a young woman seeking asylum. A mystery concerning her origins generates a controversy that dregs up unpleasant memories for the android commander and when the woman turns out to be something other than what she seems, the Enterprise is thrust into a moral dilemma. Do they help the woman or abandon her to her fate.

 

 

DREAM A LITTLE DREAM
By Poodle~

 

"I haven't been in a place like this in years." Commander Riker twisted in his seat and looked through the smoke-filled haze. He watched as several Ferengi shuffled up to the bar across the room and disrupted a trio of Andorians, who shifted and displaced a scattering of Pakleds. Riker returned his attention to his comrades sitting at the table with him. "This place is a virtual zoo."

"A bar on the edge of nowhere." Deanna Troi's dark eyes deepened to pitch in the room's smoky dim. "You wouldn't believe some of the emotions I'm picking up around here."

The commander grinned and leaned near. The faint light lent a devilish gleam to his bearded features. "Oh, wouldn't I?"

The counselor laughed. "I can't read the Ferengi, but I imagine I've seen over fifteen different species shuffle through since we've been here."

"Twelve to be exact, Counselor." Commander Data chose that moment to interject. His golden eyes swept the bar with keen interest, and he commented, "I find this place most fascinating."

"You would." The woman leaned back in her chair and took another covert glance around the room, before turning her eyes on Riker. "I can't believe I let you talk me into coming down here."

"A little variety never hurt anyone." His eyes twinkled as his attention was drawn to a cluster of young women obviously employed by the establishment to mingle with the patrons. Several were dancing, and others, scantily clad, were encouraging the guests to drink to their heart's content.

Troi caught the direction of the man's gaze and smiled slightly. "If we'd waited several hours we could have toured the clubs on Darlaria. I seem to recall a little place called Bas'lana where the tables are suspended atop fountains. These," she peeked into the darkness beneath her feet and cringed, "seem to be suspended on top of some sticky substance." She poked it with her finger, then grimaced and returned her hands to her lap.

Data frowned and cocked his head to peer beneath the table. "I believe the sticky substance is a derivative of a plant extract that was once quite popular on Earth."

Riker laughed. "Gum." He returned his attention to the young women across the smoky haze. "This place has atmosphere. It's good to get out of your element now and again, and try something new."

"Doesn't this place give you the creeps, Will?" Troi tried unsuccessfully to catch his wandering eyes. "It's not the safest place we've ever stopped for a drink."

"Just think of it as a learning experience."

"The counselor's warning is well taken," Data spoke up. "The sign at the entrance disallowed criminal prosecution of the proprietors in the event of loss of life or limb."

Troi looked down at her limbs and cringed. "Will, I--"

"Have you noticed that young lady?" Riker interrupted, still looking across the room. "The redhead wearing that little blue outfit."

The counselor followed his gaze to where the woman in question lounged against the bar; a wisp of blue chiffon stood between her and total impropriety. Troi slightly pursed her lips. "I guess the sights around here are much more appealing to you than to me."

Data craned his neck and studied the object of their discussion. "She appears not unlike the other staff employed by this establishment."

"I'm not referring to her appearance. She keeps covertly looking in our direction." Riker caught the woman's furtive glance and tipped his glass in a silent salute. Her eyes darted aside, and she quickly turned away. "See what I mean?"

"She does appear somewhat reticent in her actions." Data agreed.

"Which belies that outfit she's wearing," Troi commented and returned her attention to her drink.

"It is quite probable that the attire is at the discretion of the proprietors and not the young ladies themselves." Data pointed out, still studying the flimsy apparel draping the woman's form. She turned and their eyes locked. The woman's widened in surprise, then she quickly looked away.

"Just as I suspected." Riker leaned forward in his seat and dropped his voice to a confidential level. "I've been watching her, watching us, since we came in."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Troi chuckled softly, and sipped her drink. "You manage to attract attention wherever we go."

A sly grin crossed the commander's lips, and he leaned nearer in the darkness. "It's not me, she's watching."

The counselor's eyes widened in a question.

Riker's grin broadened, and he turned to face Data.

The android's eyebrows inched into his forehead in bewilderment.

"Data?" Troi snickered.

"I suspected she was sizing him up for sometime, but now I'm certain of it." Riker's gaiety culminated in his eyes when he saw the look of utter confusion that crossed the android's face.

"Sizing up?" Data cut a sideways glance in the woman's direction.

The commander leaned across the table and squeezed Data's arm in a grip of camaraderie. "I think she likes you. Why not give it a whirl?"

Data's eyes fell to the commander's hand gripping his arm and he frowned. "How is it possible that one can claim to like another person when the two have never met?"

"She's attracted to you. You should take advantage of it. Think of it as a learning experience, one of the little side roads on the path to understanding humanity."

"Will, I really don't think you should interfere," Deanna admonished, when she saw how deeply confused the android looked. "Just let it go. We should be getting back to the Enterprise, anyway. We'll be heading for Darlaria within the hour."

It was Data's turn to cast a covert glance in the woman's direction, but she'd disappeared from the bar. His eyes snapped forward and met Riker's. "I fail to see how you have reached your conclusion."

"Intuition." He grinned. "Trust me, she likes you. In fact," His grin widened, and he looked past the android's shoulder. "I believe you have a visitor."

Data stiffened and shifted his eyes toward the hint of blue chiffon that appeared on his right.

Riker smirked into his drink, certain he'd never seen the android second officer look so ill at ease. He almost felt a touch of pity for the guy...almost. His eyes twinkled with encouragement.

Data reluctantly turned and met two luminous blue eyes.

The woman tilted her head and gazed into his face, then glanced over her shoulder to cast a nervous look behind her. She faced the android. "It's really you, isn't it?" Her voice was a powdery whisper. "You're Lieutenant Commander Data."

"You know of me?" He blinked in surprise.

The woman clinched her hands and cast a second glance over her shoulder. She looked uneasy, then her attention returned to Data, and her head cocked coquettishly as she breathed, "We've heard of you. You're sort of a legend around here."

"A legend?" Data's confusion deepened.

She nodded and held out a long, slender hand. "I'm Dora. Please say you'll dance."

Data opened his mouth to decline when a subtle kick in the shin drew his attention to Riker. The commander's laughing eyes spoke louder than words.

Troi admonished the man with a stern look for his interference.

Riker merely smiled and leaned back, drink in hand, to watch the situation unfold.

Data's eyes shifted to the gossamer-shrouded woman with bountiful red hair. He hesitated then affected the best smile he could manage under the circumstances. "If you wish."

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Dora pressed against him in the smoky haze of the crowded tavern as they danced. Data had never attempted to lead under such conditions, and he fumbled when she draped into his arms. The android was uncertain if their combined movements created a dance or an embrace.

The woman smiled into his eyes. "I've wanted to meet you for years."

A frown wrinkled the android's brow. "I do not understand how it is that you know of me."

"I didn't exactly. I mean, I did, but I wasn't sure you were real."

"Explain, please."

She pressed closer as they danced. "I've heard rumors about your existence. We're pretty far out on the Trian Rim, and we virtually never see Starfleet personnel. Occasionally a group passes by, usually from a freighter. Several of them were talking about an android officer who served aboard the Enterprise. At first, I thought it was a joke, but now..." She trailed, and her gaze rushed over him. "It's true, isn't it?"

"I am indeed an android, and I do, in fact, serve aboard the Enterprise as second officer."

"Second officer!" Her blue eyes widened, and a hint of awe swam in their depths. "Who allowed this?"

Data frowned. "Allowed? I do not understand the question. I suppose it could be said that I permitted it."

The woman did not respond. Instead, she rested her head on his shoulder and melted against him as they danced. Data concluded the conversation was finished and paused to ponder the intricacies of such things as small talk and male/female interrelations.

Dora slipped her hand to his cheek and stroked its subtle sheen. "You feel alive."

The android was surprised by the sudden intimacy. "I am alive."

Her eyes cut toward a spiral staircase leading to the rooms above. She dropped her voice and breathed, "Come with me." She reached for his hand, but he resisted.

"I do not wish--"

"Please." She glanced over her shoulder and met the stern gaze of the establishment's proprietor, who stood closely watching them from behind the bar. She swallowed then returned her attention to Data. Her eyes instantly brightened and she smiled. "Come."

"I intend no offense, but if I understand correctly the implications inherent in your invitation, I have neither the time nor the inclination," he told her softly.

Dora remained undaunted as she tilted her eyes upward to look into his face. "You are even more beautiful than I imagined." She pressed against him and continued their dance. "Your eyes, they are wondrous."

Data was at a loss for words. His eyes were not often remarked upon favorably by those who cared to comment. In fact, no one had ever spoken in such glowing terms about his appearance. Realization struck him and he beamed. "Ah, flirting! The subtle art of trading amorous compliments. It is seldom that I have the opportunity to engage in such activities." He thought for a moment, brightened and countered, "The blue of your eyes is as serene as the Efimara seas."

A darkened cloud shaded the blue of those eyes, and the woman frowned.

His brow furrowed. "Did I misconstrue?"

Dora shook her head, then again brightened with a smile. "No, not at all. It's just that I believe gold is much lovelier." She tightened her embrace and melted provocatively against him.

Data became aware of a subtle variation in the pattern of their dancing, as slowly the woman assumed the lead. He puzzled at the fact, but fell into step without comment.

She swept them to the farthest corner of the room, hidden from the throngs of patrons, and smiled into his eyes. Her arms slipped round his neck, and before he could think to react, she led him behind a velvet curtain and kissed him. The abruptness of the act took the android by surprise. He pushed free and started to question the young woman's motives when she dropped her face into her hands and drew a ragged breath.

"Dora?"

"Please, let this be the last time."

"Excuse me?" The android frowned.

The woman raised her head and her eyes were suddenly intense. "You must help me." She grabbed his arm and squeezed. "I'm being held against my will."

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Geordi LaForge's VISOR quickly adjusted to the dim light and he shifted through the crowd to locate Commander Riker and the counselor seated at a table nestled in a corner of the bar. He weaved his way though the patrons and joined them.

"I can't believe you guys found enough entertainment down here to justify even thirty minutes in this place." He slipped into a seat.

Riker leaned over his drink and grinned. "We're not the ones being entertained. Data's having enough fun for all of us."

"Come again?"

The commander laughed and inclined his head toward the cramped dance floor, and the draped curtains beyond. "You didn't get a peek at that redhead he waltzed off with."

"Our Data?" LaForge chuckled in surprise.

The counselor admonished them both with her eyes. "Will pushed him into it."

"Guilty as charged." The commander smiled proudly. "A little friendly companionship won't scramble his circuits. He's always asking advice concerning relationships, and I say the best way to learn is to get out and get with it."

Troi's eyes narrowed, but she snickered. "He didn't want to go."

"Is that your professional opinion, Counselor?"

The woman smiled and winked.

LaForge's VISORed gaze shifted through the hazy bar, trying to locate Data among the patrons. "You say he's with a redhead?"

"Quite an attractive one, too." Riker thought for a moment, then shook his head. "Actually, it's strange to find so many alluring women working in a place so dismal."

LaForge's head snapped in the commander's direction. "Women?" A grin brightened his face and he leaned across the table to tease, "You guys don't know, do you?"

Riker frowned, confused by LaForge's sudden mirth. "What are you talking about?"

"You really don't know." He began to chuckle. "You two can't see. How's it feel to be blind?"

"Can't see what?" The commander retorted with slight annoyance.

LaForge leaned forward and whispered into his ear.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

"Now! Please." The woman held Data's arm in an iron grip. Her eyes were desperate. "If we go back out there, he'll know I talked to you and he'll take me away."

A frown knitted the android's brow as he pondered the bewildering turn of events. "He?"

"Linstrom, the owner." The redhead cast a frightened glance over her shoulder, then met his gaze with desperation. "I've heard that Federation Starships can transport personnel directly on board with no outside interference."

"That is essentially correct."

"Then do it, please, from here!"

The commander pondered the urgency of the woman's request. If her words were true, was there not a moral obligation to intervene on her behalf?

"Just to it, damn it." Dora shook his arm with fierce intensity.

Data blinked in surprise at the woman's apparent strength. He slapped the combadge on his chest. "Commander Data, to Enterprise. Two to beam up, these coordinates." His eyes cut to Dora as he added, "Security is requested."

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

The woman bounded from the transporter pad and raced to the center of the room. Her eyes widened in wonder when she saw the wealth of technology that surrounded her. Ignoring the bewildered security guards, she spun in a circle and threw out her arms. Her sheer dress was little more than a suggestion between her and the officers staring on in astonishment. Dora caught her breath and turned to a confused Commander Data who stepped from the pad to join her. "Will I be permitted to live here?"

"Live here?" The android frowned and cocked his head

"Yes. You're permitted to live here," she countered. "Will I be allowed, as well?"

He shook his head in confusion and slapped his combadge. "Commander Data to Captain Picard, your presence is requested in transporter room three. It is a matter of security, sir."

"On my way."

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

"Sir, I was uncertain what to do. It is possible that Dora is invoking asylum. If so, I was obliged to comply with her request." Data faced the captain in his Ready Room.

The man's features remained firm, but he nodded his agreement. "You did the right thing, Data. If this young woman was being held against her will; you had no choice. But pertinent questions remain; who is she, where does she wish to go, and is she telling the truth?"

"Unknown, sir."

"We'll have to question her further. Until then, I'm remanding her to your care. We're due at Darlaria in three hours. We can review her case in transit." He rose to his feet.

"Aye, sir. I shall inform Dora that she is welcome to request asylum, and that she may remain aboard the Enterprise pending evaluation. She is in my quarters. I will arrange for guest accommodations immediately."

The captain gave a stiff nod. "When Commander Riker and Counselor Troi beam aboard, I'll have the counselor interview this young woman. Until then, you're dismissed, and, Data." He stopped the android at the door, and their eyes met. "I would have done the same thing."

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

His quarters were in shambles: chairs overturned, tables toppled. The damage was minimal but the disarray jolted the android's finely tuned sense of order. He stood in the entrance and slowly assessed the situation. "What has occurred?" he asked the empty room. His eyes caught a trail of shredded blue fabric that was barely recognizable as the remnants of Dora's dress. The garment had been stripped into confetti and strewn about the room like powder. Had some horrific fate befallen his guest?

"Dora?"

He moved into the room, and his keen sense of hearing detected a rustling coming from the sleeping cubicle. He headed in that direction.

"Dora?"

Amidst the clutter of the room, the woman sat perched in the center of his bed, her hair a flaming tangle of disarray, her body wrapped only in sheets.

"What has occurred?" he asked as he stepped into the room.

"You have a bed. Why?" she asked bluntly.

"I believe my inquiry preceded yours," he responded calmly. "What has occurred?"

She looked around and shrugged. "Your ship is in dire need of the services of an exterminator."

Data frowned and sat on the edge of the bed. "The Enterprise's automatic maintenance systems perform such functions."

"Then they are faulty," she announced. "Your quarters have been invaded by a large rodent-type creature."

"Rodent?" The android's eyes widened. "That is not possible."

"It's true." She shifted on the bed and cast a sweeping glance around the room. "It is a large, yellow creature with fangs. I attempted to capture it, but--"

"Spot!"

Confusion crossed the woman's face. "You appear distressed?"

Data sprang to his feet and peeked under the bed. "Have you injured my cat?"

"This creature belongs to you?" She gasped and scooted to the edge and peered under the bed where Data kneeled. "I was unable to capture it."

"Spot." Data reached under the bed and withdrew the shaken ball that slowly settled into his arms. After several strokes of the android's hand, its ruffled fur finally laid flat. Spot, then, caught sight of the woman, and the cat's hair re-erupted. Her ears flattened, and a hiss tore from her throat.

Dora's eyes flew wide. Her lips drew back from her teeth and she responded with a blood curdling hiss that resounded through the room in exact pitch and frequency as the animal's.

Spot leaped from Data's arms and scurried back under the bed.

The woman sat trembling beneath the sheets. She turned accusing eyes in the android's direction. "You permit creatures to live in your home? That is disgusting."

"Spot is Felis catus, the cat." He could not contain his astonishment at the turn of events. "Such creatures are commonly retained as pets."

She frowned in confusion. "Isn't it an unsanitary custom to allow such things to live with you?"

"Spot is quite self-sufficient. She requires little maintenance."

The woman tightly pulled the sheets around her body and began to giggle. "Forgive my attempts to exterminate your pet."

"Although, I am amenable to forgiving you," Data cast a glance beneath the bed, "It appears unlikely Spot will be as accommodating."

Dora bit her lip, then her eyes sparkled. "This Enterprise of yours is a mysterious and exciting place."

"Your dress?" He sat on the edge of the bed with a look of concern and indicated her sheet-draped form. "Did Spot...?"

"No!" Her face darkened dangerously. "I destroyed the loathsome thing."

~*~