Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
557
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
21
Hits:
2,137

Changes

Summary:

Permission to archive: if you really want it
Fandom(s): Original
Genre: horror
Rating: g
Summary: got to change with the times
Warnings: not proof read by anyone but me. Take warning…
Notes: written for Pega's Exercise # 2: History/current events for CreativeWriting_101
(this took closer to two hours than 20 minuets. I kept adding stuff and taking it out and changing pov)

Work Text:

Changes
by Kelli/Nessa5

Jacob hadn't thought that he came to this Joes bar often enough to become a regular, but when the bartender poured him a shot of scotch and handed it over to barmaid to take to his usual table and went back to washing glasses. Apparently he had been coming here too often. "Madre" He thought, he liked this bar; it was close enough to his home he could walk without having to hire a carriage, it didn't smell like stale beer, and it had his favorite brand of aged single malt. He'd managed to convince the barmaids that he tipped better if they didn't try to flirt with him. This was one of the places he came to when he didn't want to play games, didn't need to hunt, and didn't want to be bothered.

With anther sigh he took a sip his drink, letting the warm golden liquid linger on his tongue before it slid down his throat. The alcohol might not affect him anymore, but he still liked the taste. Relaxing in the booth in the back of the bar he looked around the nearly empty room. The steady light from the newly installed gas lamps gave a soft steady light without the flickering shadows that came from candles. He dismissed his worry as unimportant, he would be was safe enough for the next year or two, but no longer. It wouldn't due for them to realize that he wasn't getting any older.

After savoring another sip of the scotch he noticed that someone had left a newspaper on the table beside him so he reached over and picked it up. The headline immediately caught his attention.

Transcontinental railroad completed in Utah On May 10, 1869, at Promontory Summit in Utah territory, a golden spike was driven in the last tie plat to commemorate the Union Pacific Railroad and the Central Pacific Railroad and joining the 3500 miles of Transcontinental Railroad from New York to California ... Jacob read the rest of the article and neatly refolded the paper and put it back where he had found it. He leaned back in his seat a bit numb to absorbed the new information and think about its significance. "So, it was done." He thought. The world was changing so quickly around him. Almost everything had changed since he'd been changed, even the people. New inventions changed the way they worked, new medicine made them healthier and live longer. More people could read now than ever before and cheep paper and printing made newspapers and books available to everyone. So much information made the changes faster as people became aware of more than just what was in front of them.

With another sigh Jacob finished his drink and left the bar. He really didn't have a choice. He would have to change too if he was going to continue living. After reinventing himself again and again there was one thing that Jacob knew hadn't changed, and that was that he was not tired of living. He took a deep breath of the cool night air before turning his feet towards home. He wasn't particularly hungry, but maybe he'd get lucky and some foolish robber would try to mug him.

end