Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,300
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
4
Kudos:
6
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,440

The Proposition

Summary:

Rating: FRT
Pairing: Hmm, Gibbs/DiNozzo if you squint
Spoilers: None
Disclaimer: Not mine, no money being made
Archive: WWOMB yes, others just let me know where it's going.
Notes: Done for the Crossover challenge on NCIS_Flashfic. John Glover played Satan and plays Lionel Luthor on Smallville. The characters are very similar, so if you've seen Lionel you've kinda seen how Satan acted on 'Brimstone.'
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash Mailing list

Work Text:

The Proposition
by kellygirl

Tony walked through the empty offices of NCIS. He vaguely wondered where everyone was. The bell for the elevator dinged low and melodic in his ears. He stepped on and looked curiously at the man standing inside. The man's brown hair was brushed away from his face and hung to his shoulders. He was dressed in a black Armani suit, diamond cufflinks winking bright but discreet. He smiled at Tony, his teeth small and sharp looking. Everything about him screamed `Predator.'

Tony stood beside him as the elevator doors closed. He had an almost primal urge to stop the doors from closing. He really wanted to get off the elevator and away from the man who was now smiling at him like he expected Tony to do some sort of trick any moment.

"Anthony DiNozzo?"

Tony looked at the man and raised one eyebrow. "Yes?"

The man stepped closer. "I have a proposition for you. I need some people captured. People that escaped my care."

Tony frowned. "I have a job. It sounds like you might need the police." He backed against the wall as the man inched forward. He wasn't in Tony's personal space yet, but he was close. He smirked at Tony.

"What's the last thing you remember Special Agent DiNozzo?"

Tony thought about it. Everything seemed hazy, as if he were trying to look through fog.

He shrugged. "Chasing down a suspect. We were in an alley."

The smirk on the other man's face grew. Tony really wished the elevator would get to a floor and open.

"That suspect shot you. You died that day. That happened seven years ago. Since then you've been a guest in my home, my territory, as it were."

Tony laughed. "So I'm dead? Are you serious?" He laughed again. "Who are you?"

The man laughed too and with a quirk of his lips he answered. "I'm Satan." The look Tony gave the man had the Armani clad stranger laughing even harder. "I'm sorry. I forgot my horns and tail. I am telling you the truth, Tony. Do you remember why you came to my corner of the world when you died?"

Tony's entire body stilled. He had a dangerous job but one thing stuck out, one thing that could have, if all of this was true, sent him to hell. The case had been airtight, a conviction assured. But money still spoke the loudest and he'd had to watch the man that killed Gibbs walk out of court a free man. Two months later the papers had been full of the accident that had cost that same man his life.

The man leaned closer like he was ready to share a juicy secret with Tony. His eyes looked kind at first glance, but Tony was trained to look beyond and he clearly saw the malicious gleam that almost sparkled in those eyes.

"Oh, yes, Tony. That's the one right there. I have to admit, you were very clever, but no matter what you might have thought, someone saw you." He waved casually at an elevator wall. It shimmered and showed Tony his plans and how he'd set up the accident. Then it showed him a year later chasing a suspect into a surprisingly clean alley where Tony was shot and killed.

Tony swallowed and looked at the man. "Why can't I remember the past seven years?"

The man snapped his fingers and the elevator wall became a regular elevator wall again. "It's not necessary that you do. What's important is that you take this job."

Tony leaned against the wall. He was beginning to suspect that this man was telling the truth. If not, this was a very elaborate trick.

"Explain it to me again."

The man moved away and leaned against the wall in a mirror look of Tony's stance.

"Some of the souls I'm responsible for managed to escape. Three hundred of them to be precise. I need someone to track them down and send them back to hell."

Tony pretended to think about it. "What's in it for me?"

The man smiled like he knew he had Tony. "After all the souls are back where they belong, you get a second chance on earth."

Tony shook his head. "That only means you get another chance to collect my soul. How about a more heavenly guarantee?"

The man straightened up and looked at Tony with something like respect. He tapped one finger against his chin.

"Hmm, you want a definite ticket to heaven?" His smile grew and he looked as if he knew a secret. "If you're looking for someone let me assure you, he isn't where you might think."

Tony was in the man's face before he knew it. A faint glimmer in the man's eyes stopped Tony from grabbing him and pushing him against the wall.

"Where is he?"

The man made an elaborate flourish with his hand and the elevator door opened. Tony's eyes widened. Gibbs stood there like it was just yesterday that he and Tony had been arguing or discussing a case. Dry heat brushed against his ear.

"Silly boy, did you really think he was in heaven?" A hand tapped Tony's chest. "It was close, but rules are rules."

Tony wanted to move closer to the older agent, but a minute shake of Gibbs head told him to stay put. Tony turned back to the man and gave him his most charming smile.

"You know, I work much better with a partner. How about you let both of us hunt down these souls and then give us a second chance on earth?"

The man crossed his arms and frowned. He couldn't hide the glee in his eyes though. "I don't know. This has happened before you know, and that guy worked alone."

Tony narrowed his eyes. "How many souls did he have to capture? I mean, you want this done quickly, right?"

A book appeared in the man's hands. He looked through it briefly. "Well, he had 113 souls to find." He closed the book with a snap. "Okay, you may need help, but to give you both a second chance? I wouldn't want that to get around. Some might think I'm beginning to get soft."

Tony looked at Gibbs and back at the man. "Then give him a second chance. I'll go back with you."

A small growl trickled from between the man's lips. For a brief moment his body seemed bigger. Then he was back in the Armani. He swept a hand through his hair and sighed.

"Don't get all self sacrificing on me now, DiNozzo." He looked from Gibbs to Tony and back again. He clenched his fists and nodded at Gibbs.

"You win this one, Gibbs."

It was Tony's turn to look from Gibbs to the man. Gibbs stepped into the elevator and spoke.

"I bet him you'd offer to do the job and give up your second chance. He lost so we both get a second chance."

Tony smiled and coughed to hide the laugh that wanted to bubble out of his throat. The man looked at him in frustration. The elevator doors closed and the man smiled.

"We'll see if you're laughing after the tattoo session."

Tony wanted to ask what the man was talking about but decided to annoy the man by not asking. Gibbs was here and everything else fell by the side. They'd already beat the devil once. Tony looked forward to trying again.

The End.