Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
7,339
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,115

True Bonds

Summary:

Alonzo stomped his foot on the brakes and in a cloud of swirling red dust the ATV came to a halt.

Work Text:

True Bonds
by: Tracy Price, Nicole Mayer, Sarah Watkins, Douglas Neman, Sue Sadler, Maggie Czarney

Alonzo stomped his foot on the brakes and in a cloud of swirling red dust the ATV came to a halt. He pulled the bandana that covered his mouth and nose away from his face and used it to wipe the sweat from his forehead. He grimaced at the caking of dust it left on the cloth. Leaning over, he grabbed a water flask from behind his seat and took a long sip. The bottle was almost empty and the warm water tasted slightly stale; he had been away from camp for a long time.

Overhead, the sun beat down mercilessly on the lone man, as it had done for days. Behind Alonzo, the rolling plain of red dirt stretched out to the far horizon. Only a few high buttes and thin spires jutting up into the sky broke the monotony. It was a strange landscape, with an otherworldliness
that reminded him once again he was on an alien planet, light-years from home.

Alonzo's eyes moved over the metal frame of the ATV and he frowned at the sight. A thick layer of dust coated the vehicle. Danziger would never believe that he had taken it easy on the car; the sheer amount of dust would reveal him a liar.

Alonzo shrugged. He had been in a hurry. And when the group learned about the things that had happened during the scout, Danziger would surely forget about having his hide for the mistreatment of the vehicle.

Putting the bottle back behind his seat, Alonzo pressed down on the accelerator and resumed his course at a more moderate pace. He knew he would find the camp behind the next mesa. And in the camp, there would be Julia. He smiled at the thought. He had missed her.

* * *

Alonzo sighed with contentment and leaned his head forward, resting his cheek on his forearms. He was sitting waist deep in a crate that currently served him as a tub. Julia had insisted that he wash up before reporting to the others on his scout. Not a bad idea, considering just how filthy he had gotten on his mad dash to get back.

A bath also provided him with an excuse to avoid one Mister John Danziger. As he had predicted, the mechanic had been non-too pleased with him over the condition of the ATV. Plenty of time to soothe the savage beast later, however. Right now, all Alonzo wanted to do was concentrate on the sensations coursing through him due to Julia's administrations on his back. She might not have agreed to join him, but that could change.

Turning slightly, Alonzo placed a hand behind Julia's neck. "Need you," he whispered, voice husky with desire, lips brushing against Julia's in a light kiss.

"But the others...."

"Can wait." Sloshing water all over the ground, Alonzo rose up out of the tub, wrapping his arms around Julia, pulling her up with him and soaking her clothes. "Oops," he murmured just before leaning in and kissing her once more. God, how he missed her. Alonzo wanted to savor every moment of having Julia back in his arms.

Breaking the kiss long enough to gather her up in his arms, he stepped out of the crate. "You do realize," he said while making his way towards the cot, "that those wet clothes must come off."

"You did that on purpose," Julia said, trying to sound stern but failing miserably. Deep down inside she didn't mind at all. With Alonzo she felt safe and secure. They had been through a lot together on the planet and had developed a deep bond, although he still tended to annoy her on occasion
with his devil-may-care attitude and flippant comments. She was working on that. Just like he was working on getting her to loosen up a little.

"And what if I did? What are you going to do about it?" Alonzo didn't give Julia the chance to answer him. Instead, he recaptured her lips in another kiss as he gently lowered to the cot. The others could definitely wait for his report.

* * *

"So, what happened out there Alonzo?" Bess asked, a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth as she interrupted the tirade she knew would be coming from Danziger's mouth. She watched quietly as the pilot and Julia took seats on crates around the evening campfire, a slight blush highlighting
Julia's normally paler cheeks. Bess suppressed the urge to giggle. Must have been some reunion.

Alonzo peered around at the assembled group, coffee mug nestled between his hands, taking in everyone's expectant faces. He blinked as an image of a bunch of puppies came to mind, tails wagging happily over an offered treat. Julia nudged him gently with her leg and his attention snapped back to the crew.

"Okay," he said, coughing to cover the laugh that threatened to emerge. He cleared his throat and tried again.

[Flashback scene]

Hot, tired and bored with the never-ending sameness of the landscape, Alonzo brought the ATV to a halt. Climbing out of the vehicle, he removed the bandana covering his mouth and wiped away the sweat that beaded on his brow. Alonzo removed the jumpers from around his neck and brought them up to his face, peering through them at his surroundings.

Him and his big mouth. Complaining about how bored stiff he was had earned him a ticket on this oh so joyful scout.

He sighed and moved to grab his canteen when the ground beneath his feet shifted. Startled, he reached for the ATV to regain his balance. But his fingers merely grazed the metal frame as he sank rapidly into the churning dirt at his feet.

Alonzo desperately reached for something, anything to hold onto. Nothing, only handfuls of red dirt that slipped through his fingers. What the hell...? He barely had time to complete the thought as he slipped through the soil and into the earth.

The next thing he knew, he found himself sprawled out at the bottom of a rocky slope. He ached everywhere and his arms and face stung from numerous cuts apparently sustained in a fall. Turning his head slightly, Alonzo's eyes widened in disbelief as he got a good look at his new surroundings.

Stretching out beyond his line of vision lay an immense cavern holding a large underground lake. The ground was packed earth and sand and not natural by the looks of it. But that wasn't what held the pilot's attention.

The whole cavern glowed, sparkling with colored light from some sort of mineral running through the cavern walls. Alonzo stared in awe, drinking in the sight. The whole place had a dreamlike quality to it. Oh, if only Julia could see it. He knew he would never be able to find the words to explain to her what he was seeing.

Then he noticed he wasn't alone.

A hand, or at least what Alonzo assumed was a hand, suddenly reached and roughly grabbed him around his left shoulder, hauling him backwards. He didn't even have a chance to protest before his other shoulder was similarly commandeered and soon he was deposited on the ground, sand flying up into his teeth as he twisted forwards. He spat, finding the grittiness more distasteful than anything else, and watched as the rejected matter found its way onto something silver gray and metallic.

A harsh grinding sound met Alonzo's ears as the boot moved away and he found the courage to raise his head. Not that he was scared, exactly, but so far Eden Project hadn't run across anything really technologically competent other than a ZED and that was the last thing Alonzo wanted to be dealing with right now. However, the mere existence of this cavern suggested a technology far above what he was used to dealing with.

The clanking as the biped strode away was more proof that this was not human, or Terrian, or even G889-ian unless this was a hidden civilization they hadn't yet stumbled across. Alonzo was presented with the rear view of a tall warrior, very strong, holding an evil-looking staff in its fist.
Another of similar stature joined the first as he slowly crawled into a sitting position, rubbing at his shoulder, which still bore the agony of such unceremonious assistance onto the sand. The lake was further away now - apparently, the bipeds did not want Alonzo near it - and for what reason
he couldn't even begin to deduce.

The first creature spoke, its voice deep, in a language unfamiliar to his ears. He rubbed more dirt from his face and prepared to introduce himself in the best way possible, preferably one that didn't result in Alonzo having to run like hell. For where could he go, trapped underground with his only exit several meters above and unreachable? He certainly wasn't in the mood for swimming, even though the air down here was still hot and oppressive. It made sense - either they were close to the surface or the running lights were indicative of a technology which burned a lot of power.

"Hello," he finally said. The bipeds paused in their conversation and whirled around to face him. Alonzo's short intake of breath betrayed his surprise at their frontal appearance. Now no doubt remained - these were definitely not human. Metallic in appearance, their heads sported
beak-like structures surrounded by gray fans. Almost like serpents, he decided, and to add to the frightening impression were large, slit-like eyes that glowed an evil red.

One pointed his? her? (Alonzo decided to go with the generic "his") staff in Alonzo's direction and barked another unfamiliar command. He could do nothing but shake his head in what he hoped was a respectful manner. "I don't understand you. I'm not lookin' to make any trouble here, so if you point that thing somewhere else I'll just be on my way...."

Before he knew what was happening, one of the aliens had thrust forward with his staff, delivering a hard blow to Alonzo's temple. He couldn't suppress the cry of pain that flew from his lips and he lifted his hand to touch the sticky residue of blood. A dark scowl crossed his face and the aliens hauled him to his feet, sending more pain through his already tortured muscles. He was given no chance to protest as he was dragged forwards to the fate that awaited him.

His captors continued their aversion of the lake but that didn't stop Alonzo looking around. Closer to the walls he could see that the running lights most definitely appeared to be conduits, either powered from the lake or powering the lake. And as he stared harder at the lake he realized that it wasn't ordinary either, it almost shimmered. A glassy mosaic of blues, seemingly too viscous to be ordinary water, swirled in enticing patterns. He felt drawn to it; it was almost a tangible pull. Yet all too soon his focus was roughly redirected to face forwards, down a narrow tunnel lit with steady fluorescent lights. He stumbled along as best he could, trying to keep up with his captors who were so much taller than him and wont to drag Alonzo when his legs failed him.

He lost track of how many times his feet stumbled on a hidden rock or ridge, all the time hyper aware of the aliens' fierce grip. Momentarily, Alonzo wondered if they felt the heat in their outfits, because now that he was this close, there was no doubt that they were wearing metal and it was
a metal fairly similar to those he recognized. It made sense, there only being a limited number of elements in the universe and metals synthesized most easily would surely be adapted by all species.

The thoughts kept Alonzo's mind occupied and during the long haul he decided to pursue the thought. Aliens. On G889. Well, it had certainly happened before and it was entirely possible that this planet was the hot point of colonization for the entire galaxy. There were a limited number
of planets with the right conditions for human life and who was to say that humans were the only beings with the right to these atmospheres?

And as he further turned over the possibilities, he became more excited about the possibilities of space flight. Suppose the aliens had conquered light speed, the potential for revolution could be enormous!

The only problem was he didn't think the aliens would be willing to share, what with their treatment of him so far. When the torturous trek finally ended, Alonzo was thrown to the ground and his hands rapidly bound behind him using metallic wire that cut into his skin. He shuffled into a
kneeling position, the perfect picture of a subservient human, and gasped to see not the two aliens, but an entire party of them. As he turned his head he could see that some kind of base camp had been set up in another large cavern connected to the first via the tunnels. His two captors were reporting to someone who stood atop a throne-like dais, someone who was...human.

The same alien language was being spoken by all but the more Alonzo listened, the more familiar it sounded. Almost as if he should recognize it, he just didn't know the words. The human lifted his head imperiously as he glanced over at Alonzo, then pointed one finger and gave more commands. To Alonzo's surprise, the metallic aliens bowed.

His heart began to pound even more furiously as they approached him, their red eyes gleaming in the dimness of the cavern. Some order had been given - but for what? An order to put him to work in some kind of slavery? An order to terminate his life? Or did he dare hope for an order to let him go? After all, he was human, just like the leader of this group.

An eerie groaning began to Alonzo's left; it was a low thrumming rumble he had long associated with Terrian activity yet somehow, it was different. More alien. And a thousand times closer than it had ever been. He turned his head and gasped as a torrent of water exploded into the cavern. "Run!" he shouted, not knowing if he was warning the aliens or himself, yet not one creature moved and then the water simply disappeared, leaving...a lake.

A lake almost identical to the first one save for its size and position, for this one was perhaps two meters across at most and in an upright position. The same shimmering blue and the same undefined pull exerted itself upon Alonzo. But before he could process his thoughts any longer,
his captors returned to his side.

[pause in flashback]

Bess' eyes widened in surprise. "My god, Alonzo! What was it? What were they?" She was voicing the thoughts of the entire group, all of whom appeared to be on tenterhooks at his story.

"Yeah, and what the hell happened to my Rail?" added Danziger, but it was muttered and under his breath. The group as one turned to him and he continued his intense contemplation of the ground. "Sorry," he mumbled.

"What were they? Well, Bess." Alonzo paused and took a long swig of his coffee. He was enjoying this empowerment, the moment of holding his audience in thrall. The pilot was very rarely the absolute center of attention and right now, he was puffed full of his own importance. Putting down the coffee mug, he continued his story.

[special effects, back into flashback]

A lake almost identical to the first one save for its size and position, for this one was perhaps two meters across at most and in an upright position. The same shimmering blue and the same undefined pull exerted itself upon Alonzo. But before he could process his thoughts any longer,
his captors returned to his side.

//"You said that," muttered Danziger.

The man had NO sense of the dramatic. Alonzo continued. //

The aliens pushed Alonzo towards the 'lake'. The closer that he got, the less he felt like doing what he was told. What were his chances? He could try running, but at the very least all that would do would be nothing. He could try reasoning with these aliens, but it seemed as if all THAT would achieve would be another blow from the staff.

Or he could do what they wanted.

Swallowing nervously, he tried to hold his head up proudly as he was ushered forward to the 'lake'. One of the aliens stood in front of him and said something in tongues. Alonzo stared at it. He couldn't understand anything they had said so far, but he could have sworn he just made out the word 'Pacifica'.

"Uh... excuse me, but... um... if I were to say 'New Pacifica', what would you..."

The aliens began talking excitedly amongst themselves. Alonzo raised his eyebrows curiously. They had found a common link. Made bold by his breakthrough, Alonzo turned to the obvious leader. "We - that is, my people and I... seek..." He made a gesture with his hands - "New Pacifica. Do you know of it? Where it is?"

The alien leader pointed, jabbering, at the 'lake'.

Shrugging, Alonzo walked forwards and through the sheet of blue. Maybe it was a gateway of some sort.

* * *

He was a little disappointed, really. There were no whooshing sounds, no fireworks, not even a sensation of movement. There was a puff of air on his face and then it was over. He was still in the same cavern, the same aliens were still there, jabbering away, but there was one fundamental difference.

He could understand what they were saying.

"You people," the leader was saying, staring coldly at him. "You refuse to trust us. Are we so very frightening?"

"Uh... well... now you come to mention it... yes..." Alonzo was amazed. He stared at the strange sheet of wasn't-water that he had walked through. "What happens if I walk back the other way?"

"The language barrier will return."

"Oh. Thought so."

"What do your kind want with Pacifica?"

The jabbering began again, in earnest. Alonzo turned around to look at the aliens. "I... that is, we - my people and I - are travelling to New Pacifica to set up a colony in advance of the arrival of many of my kind." A thought struck him. "How come we have given it the same name?"

"Simple," replied the alien leader, shrugging. "Because we are from what you would call 'the future'. We know it as Pacifica because our founders called it 'New Pacifica."

Alonzo simply stared.

"We are your great-great-great grandchildren," the alien finished.

[pause in flashback]

To Alonzo's amazement, everyone suddenly erupted in a chorus of disbelief and shouting, and his spell was broken.

"Come on, man!" Baines shouted, and Walman was glaring. Others were actually on their feet in agitation.

"What?" Alonzo said, his jaw hanging open in disbelief, his hands out in an attempt to understand everyone's reaction.

"Getting us all together and giving us this fairy story," Danziger snapped. *"That's* what!"

"You think it's funny that you had us going with all this underground cavern / space alien stuff?" Cameron asked.

"We were expecting to hear a scouting report!" Magus chimed in angrily. "Not some childish prank to get attention!"

"Is that what you think this is?" Alonzo asked, slowly getting to his feet in anger also. "You think I'm making this *up?"* His rising voice and look of disbelief silenced them all. "I am telling you, this is what happened to me!"

The others looked at Alonzo, then glanced at each other. No one knew quite what to say for a moment.

Devon said, "Why don't we hear the rest of what Alonzo has to say before jumping to conclusions?"

They all tentatively sat back down and Alonzo continued, visibly trying to calm himself. Not being believed made him feel a little resentful.

[back into flashback]

Alonzo tried to form words. "Wha...what do you..."

"We traveled back-"

"Arkon! Do not tell him!"

Alonzo whirled around. Into the cavern strode a woman, her face full of anger, her long blonde hair flowing freely. She, like the other leader, wore some kind of silver outfit, similar to the ones worn by the others, but somehow more flexible, more tightly-fitting.

"It is too late, Larinda," Arkon said. "I have already told him. He had already seen the cavern."

"Due to your incompetence, no doubt!" Larinda snapped. "How could you have let something like this happen?"

Arkon seemed to fidget under her onslaught of words. "How could we have prevented it? We were far enough from his people that we were in no danger, and we thought we were hidden well enough."

"You are a fool, Arkon," Larinda said. "Our survival should never have been entrusted to you."

"Hold it," Alonzo finally found his voice. "Back up two shakes. What-"

"You will be silent!" Larinda commanded. "Take him-"

"No, I will *not* be silent!" he interrupted her right back. He found a spear in his face and swatted it aside, then advanced on her. "I've had just about enough of this! I didn't ask to be here, and ever since I've arrived I've been hit, shoved around, and treated like a prisoner! Now I don't care who you are, we get one thing straight, Ms. Crazy Woman, you don't have the right to treat me this way. Now you owe me some answers!"

Larinda's face turned about five shades of purple as he spoke. "Guards!" she yelled. "Take this prisoner to one of the far chambers and hold him there! Do whatever you need to prevent him from speaking again."

Arkon stood up. "Larinda-"

"Be silent!" she commanded. "I will have order here, one way or the other."

Alonzo struggled briefly as two of the alien-like creatures held him but they were so strong it was useless. "Listen!" he cried as they carried him off. "You need me! You need help. Otherwise the Terrians would never have sent me here!"

"Stop!" Larinda cried, whirling around with her eyes wide. Alonzo's guards did as they were told and she strode up to him. "What do you mean?"

"How do you think I found this cavern in the first place?" Alonzo asked. "You think I pulled out a shovel and started digging? You think maybe I swam into the lake through an underground river? The *Terrians* brought me here. That's the only explanation for the way the ground pulled me under. And if they brought me here, it was for a reason, and I'm willing to bet that it's because you're in some kind of trouble. Am I right?"

Doubt showed on Larinda's face for the first time. Arkon watched in agitation. Alonzo sensed a potential ally in him, but not much strength.

"Look," Alonzo softened his voice. "Whoever you are, I don't want to be your enemy. If you need help, the least you could do is let me try."

"What could it hurt?" Arkon asked, and at that question Larinda turned away angrily again. Alonzo sighed. He'd almost won her over -- as he could with most women, he knew -- but Arkon opening his mouth had broken the spell. Larinda seemed fit to burst into another tirade.

"You know very well what it could hurt," she said. "Bringing him here has already caused a break in time. Speaking with him at all might create a paradox which would cause our unmaking."

"We don't know that for sure," Arkon said. "Perhaps he was always destined to come to us, especially if the Terrians sent him here."

Larinda thought about it for a moment, then said, "Very well. But I reserve the right to change my mind if I fail to see evidence of that."

"That," Arkon said with heavy irony, "was never in any doubt." Larinda glared at him but said nothing in return. Arkon walked up to Alonzo and, with a wave of his hand, ordered him released again.

"Thank you," Alonzo said. "Now tell me what's going on."

Arkon sighed heavily. "We are from your future, approximately 110 years from now."

"So who are these weird creatures?" Alonzo asked, gesturing around him.

Arkon took the staff from the creature next to him and handed it to Alonzo. "You'll recognize the design, I'm sure."

Alonzo's eyes grew wide as they drifted over it. "No," he shook his head in denial.

"Yes, you do," Arkon replied. "The beings standing around us are Terrians. A new breed of Terrians, ones who don't exist yet in this time." He retrieved the staff from Alonzo's suddenly limp hands and handed it back to its owner.

"How come you can talk to them?" Alonzo asked. "How come your language is so different? That was like no language I ever heard back on the stations."

"That is how we speak in the future," Arkon replied. "After years of living on the planet, the language becomes a hodgepodge of Earth English, Grendler grunting, and even some Terrian trilling."

Alonzo went over this in his mind for a second and smiled weakly, suddenly deciding to crack a joke just to give his brain a few extra seconds to cope. "You're being alliterative!" he said.

"Thank you," Arkon smiled back, welcoming the other man's lightheartedness. "It's so nice to be appreciated."

"Get on with it!" Larinda snapped.

"How did you get back here?" Alonzo asked. "Do we really invent time travel?"

"Not really," Arkon replied. "It's this planet. G889 has many secrets you have yet to discover."

"You used the planet to travel in time?" Alonzo's eyes grew wide.

"Yes, but I'll not tell you how. It's not important. What is important is why we're here."

"And why are you here?" Alonzo asked. "And what's the deal with the lake?"

"Tell him nothing but the most essential details," Larinda said, giving Arkon a warning glare.

Arkon sighed and glared back. Not for the first time Alonzo wondered what their political power set-up was like.

He also wondered how much he was about to hear was the truth. It was *possible* that this was all some kind of elaborate Council scheme and he was being had, but he dismissed that from his mind altogether. Any scam or cover-up this elaborate, this big, was beyond the scope of his imagination. Likewise, he dismissed the idea that these people were some kind of crackpot station penal colonists. That idea was ten times a ludicrous as the thought of them being Council operatives.

But Alonzo knew enough of science and scientific theory to know that if they really were from the future, their highest priority would be to prevent a paradox. Larinda had basically said as much earlier, mentioning something about "unmaking." Scary stuff.

All of which meant that no matter *what* they told him or didn't tell him, he had already seen and heard too much. In order to ensure their own safety, wouldn't they need to administer some kind of mind-altering drug to wipe his memory? Or worse? His only hope was that they couldn't kill him, for doing so would surely be a threat to their own existence.

Then he shook his head. No, he thought, he was just guessing. He had no idea if any of that was true. He had no idea how safe he really was. Nor could he make a better guess until he knew more about their reason for being there. And on top of it all, his mind was still whirling with the mystery of why the Terrians of his own time had guided him into their midst.

Arkon's brow was furrowed and he was staring at the floor, trying to judge how much to say.

"Your presence on G889, well actually one specific person's presence, caused a mutation in the Terrians to the new species you see before you. The imbalance this caused, although necessary for the Terrians to survive and carry on as Caretakers for this planet had serious implications for the planet itself."

"How do..." A glance at Larinda's expression forestalled his question. Obviously who and how were off limit topics. Which was not necessarily a bad thing in his opinion, sometimes knowing the truth put you into a very bad position. By the looks of things, being on the wrong side of Larinda
might be an even worse idea.

"The Terrians have, for want of a better term, cousins, which inhabit the water. As the Terrians you know have powers over the earth, the Aquians have similar powers of water. When the Terrians from your time began their transformation it gave them limited abilities to interact with the sea as well as the earth, causing the imbalance."

"And this imbalance causes the lakes like the one that just appeared." Alonzo was beginning to understand some of the patterns that existed on G889 and it scared him. It was all making perfect sense. Terrians controlled the earth, Aquians controlled the water. Now all that was needed were Avians which controlled the air and there would be a matching set. And he was starting to ramble. He forced himself back to Arkon's speech.

"Technically the Aquians cause the lakes as they bring part of their environment to the past. We believe they realize that with the appearance of the new Terrians they are a doomed species. To prevent this they are striving to reach the person who caused the transformation in the Terrians to see if a similar one can be wrought in their species. This could create a paradox which will destroy our future."

"So you're here to stop them from making contact?"

"That's correct." Arkon, for the first time since Larinda's appearance looked in control and sure of himself. It reminded him of someone he knew.

"There is another possibility that you might want to consider. When the Terrians healed Uly, they did it mainly due to a promise Devon made them. They healed her after her illness. We still don't know how or why. But from my trips into the Dreamplane, I believe it's because she respects life and was prepared to communicate on an equal level when some of us just wanted to shoot on sight. Perhaps the Aquians are meant to contact us and your attempts to stop them are causing the problems you are experiencing."

As he looked up, he saw a half smile on Larinda's face and to his surprise, intense anger on Arkon's. He had moved from being an ally to something else.

The woman moved toward him. "You have a valid point. One which is not popular amongst some of our people." This with a withering look at Arkon. "Communication with the Aquians is not possible. Our conflict was initiated before we realized their presence amongst us. Now they will not speak with us or the Terrians of our time. If the Terrians of your time have truly brought you to us to help, perhaps you can speak to them on our behalf. To be sure of the reasons for conflict rather than applying human reasoning."

"That is not part of our remit, Larinda."

"As was contact with our ancestors, a fact which you overlooked when you captured him."

"Perhaps we should discuss this elsewhere."

* * *

Alonzo was left where he was with two of the new Terrians for guards. One of the reasons he had become a pilot was to avoid the inherent politics of life on the stations and now he was stuck in the middle of a power play between two factions. There were days he rued ever taking Devon's money. Then again, life certainly had become very interesting and he never would have met Julia if it hadn't been for the unexpected landing.

It was a good hour before Larinda came back. There was no sign of Arkon.

The request she made was simple "Will you help us?"

[Back to the present]

Looking round Alonzo could see the disbelief on everyone's face. He sighed. If they didn't like this part of the story, they were going to like the request he brought from the Aquians even less.

"What did she want?" Devon's question tore Alonzo away from his musings. Oh, well. Maybe by the time he got around to that part, he'd figure out how to tell them about the Aquian's request.

"Well, it was like this..." Alonzo continued his story.

[Flash back]

"Will you help us?" Larinda asked.

Alonzo stood up and faced her warily. "What do you want me to do?"

"Dream," she said. "Join me on the dreamplane and communicate with the Terrians of your time."

"Wait a minute, you're going to come?" Alonzo asked.

"I've dreamed many times before," Larinda said.

"Yeah, but..." Alonzo trailed off. He had wanted to talk to the Terrians alone, to try and figure out what was really going on with the Aquians. Having Larinda there would complicate matters. He sighed. What choice did he have, really? "All right. When?"

"Right now," she said. She looked at the Terrians who were guarding Alonzo and nodded.

Alonzo looked back at the Terrians as they bowed their heads. Apparently the Terrians from this time period were going to be joining them, too. It'd be a regular party on the dreamplane. He sighed and closed his eyes. Then he bowed his head and stopped fighting the pull the Terrians were exerting on his mind, drawing him onto the dreamplane.

When he opened his eyes, he got a slight surprise. Instead of the wind blown desert plane that was the usual scenery of the dreamplane, he was in a green, hilly area, next to a lake. He looked around, wondering where all the rest of the players for this talk were, when four Terrians appeared out of the ground, two from his time, and two from the future. In spite of himself, Alonzo jumped. "Man, I hate it when you do that!" He looked around. The Terrians were here now, but Larinda was still missing. "So where's Larinda? Or are you guys going to tell me what's going on before she gets here?" He addressed his question to the Terrians from his time.

One of the Terrians tilted his head and trilled at him. In that same strange way he always did, he knew what the Terrian was saying to him. "The mother is in danger. We request your tribe's help."

"With what, exactly?" Alonzo asked.

This time, a Terrian from the future answered him. "By contact with the humans, we have evolved, but our cousins have not. This is destroying the balance the mother created. If the balance is not corrected, the mother and all who care for her will be destroyed."

The Terrians from his time continued. "The evolution of our species cannot be halted. We request that you help our cousins."

With that, the surface of the lake erupted and Alonzo turned quickly. Two figures - Aquians, he guessed, were suspended half out of the water. Alonzo stared for a moment, wondering how that was possible, then chalked it up as just another strange thing about this planet. He looked at the Aquians, noting the differences from their cousins, the Terrians. He couldn't see below their waists, but their skin was smooth and they were a more grayish-blue color. Their eyes and facial features were the same as the Terrians, though. He could definitely see the family resemblance.

One of them started talking. Alonzo was startled by the different 'feel' of communicating with the Aquians. "Thank you for hearing our request."

"You're welcome," Alonzo said. "What is your request?"

"With our cousin's transformation, the balance between the water and earth has been destroyed. To restore this balance, we must evolve as well."

"Okay..." Alonzo paused, deciding which of the many questions he wanted to ask first. "What about Larinda, Akron, and the others? What will that do to their future? And where is Larinda, anyway?"

"She is not needed here," one of the future Terrians answered him. "As to their future, it will not exist. Without the Aquian's transformation, their future will not last for much longer. The humans of the future do not comprehend the implications of the imbalance."

"So... Larinda's not here because she'd basically make a fuss about her future being destroyed, right?" Alonzo asked. "Well, that makes sense." He looked at the Aquians. "What is it you want from our group? How can we help you evolve?"

"In the same way that our cousins evolved."

"But Uly's already healed."

"It is not the healing that caused the transformation, but the connection."

Alonzo frowned, imagining how that was going to go over. Devon was not going to be happy about her son being connected to yet another alien species... in fact, she was going to downright hate it. "I have to be honest with you, I don't know if Devon's going to agree with you using Uly
for that purpose."

The Terrians from his time spoke up again. "Since the boy is already bonded to the Terrians, he will not effect the change in the Aquians necessary to the mother's survival."

Alonzo had a bad feeling about this, and he really didn't want to ask the next question. He had a feeling he would not like the answer. Still, he asked it. "Who?"

The Aquians answered. "The other young one, the girl."

True. Damn. Danziger was *not* going to be happy about this.

[back to present]

"Absolutely not."

Alonzo blinked. He could do nothing except sit and stare stupidly at John Danziger. That had not been....expected. Alonzo had been prepared for angry ranting, vehement protests, for anything but the simple statement he had received upon revealing his news. Calmly said, the refusal had a dangerous undertone to it that worried Alonzo far more than any outburst the taller man had exhibited in the past.

He opened his mouth to say something, but all the arguments he had carefully prepared in his head simple dissolved into nothingness. This was going to be even tougher than he had originally thought.

Next to him, Morgan Martin wailed mournfully that they were all doomed. That because of Danziger's stubbornness, they were all going to die. He was the one ranting and raving, flailing his arms about, cursing the planet and its mysterious ways.

Through the confusing moments that followed his announcement, Alonzo sat perfectly still, eyes locked with John Danziger. He ignored Morgan like he always did, and he ignored all the hushed murmurings from those seated around him as they processed the information. The only one that mattered at that moment in time sat across from him, jaw locked stubbornly, arms folder tightly across his chest.

"Why not?" Alonzo spoke up at last.

Danziger's eyes flashed and his hands clenched into fists at his sides, but no other outward sign betrayed the inner turmoil he felt. ~Why not?~ The question bounced through his head, almost mocking him, though there had been no malicious intent in the pilot's voice, merely curiosity over why someone would refuse something that would benefit the planet and keep them alive.

~Why not?~ Because he wanted his baby girl to remain pure and untainted by the native populous of the planet. Because he didn't trust the Terrians. Because he didn't understand their way of life, and this new tribe version of water Terrians even less. Because.... He ran out of becauses. Instead, the reasons for allowing True to link with the Aquians began drifting through his derailed thoughts. If he allowed this linking, True's future would be secure. The planet would protect her in ways that he could not. She would be healthy and have the chance to live a 'normal' life. Whatever constituted as being normal on G889 anyway. But if True were to become the link, there would be no more question as to whether or not they would return to the stations. The question would be moot.

Sighing deeply, Danziger refocused his attention on Alonzo. He trusted the dark-haired pilot. They had been through so much together and had forged a tight friendship through shared hardships. He also knew that Alonzo had his own connection to the planet that he would never understand, didn't even pretend to understand. If Alonzo was asking him to do this, then there was a great need for it and who was he to stand in the way.

Reaching blindly beside him, Danziger took his daughter's hand in his and slowly turned to face her. She looked up at him with eyes full of... curiosity. Being the child that she was, she merely saw the opportunity as a chance to be on the same level as Uly, equal. She didn't understand the
greater significance of it all yet, but the idea didn't frighten her like it would have months ago. She was intrigued by the planet and was slowly growing accustomed to its oddities.

"It sounds like fun," she shrugged, smiling up at her father, trying to put him at ease. It worked. He visibly relaxed and a hesitant smile tugged at the corner of lips that were more accustomed to wearing a frown. He could never refuse his True-girl anything and he wasn't about to start now.

"Okay," he said softly, once more meeting Alonzo's dark eyes. "If it will save the planet, I'll allow True to become the link to the...swimmers."

Alonzo blinked again in surprise, momentarily stunned that Danziger hadn't put up a terrific fight. Then he laughed at Danziger's choice of wording and fell off the crate holding his sides. All conversation ceased abruptly as everybody turned to gape as one at the pilot lying on the ground and laughing heartily. It's not their fault they didn't understand Danziger's oh-so-subtle humor in the face of a very difficult and life altering decision. Alonzo did though and silently he applauded the man's courage.

* * *

Alonzo smiled softly to himself as he watched the forms of Arkon, Larinda and the Terrians from the future fade from their time back to their own by passing through their 'water' barrier. The bonding had gone off without a hitch and, though the change wouldn't be immediately evident, the Aquians were relieved that their link would help them adapt like their cousins and that everything would turn out okay.

The pilot wrapped his arms around Julia and rested his chin on her shoulder as the rest of the group filed out of the cavern to the camp that they had set up above in the desert that had started this whole thing. "What do you say we do a little bonding of our own?" he whispered seductively into the doctor's ear now that they were alone.

Julia rolled her eyes heavenward, but didn't refuse. Some things would never change. And that wasn't such a bad thing.

END