Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
733
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,350

Taking care of the one you love

Summary:

Fandom: Sahara, the movie
Pairing: Dirk Pitt / Al Giordino
Warnings: Dirk and Al are in the Navy, Al is recovering from a mission. A night in their life.
Challenge: fanfic 100 .. 003. ends
Submitted through the Makebelieve_YG mailing list.

Work Text:

Taking care of the one you love
By Paula C. aka Tommyboybbi

Dirk had been afraid of this. Leaving Al alone for an hour was hard enough for him, but a whole shift was worse.

Looking around he looked at the smashed bottles that had hit the wall and their shattered remains lay on the floor. Al himself was on the other side of the room, asleep on the floor, looking like he had cried himself to the point of sleep.

They couldn't keep doing this. It had to end now. No more missions. No more being threatened to be split up. They needed each other. It had been that way since kindergarten.

Dirk kneeled down beside Al. If he could, he would pick up him up but that was not a given with Al's muscle weight. "Come on Al, let's get you to bed."

With a groan then a moan, Al opened his eyes. "What?" he asked.

Dirk had to chuckle a bit, let it be said, let Al have a fit, and he would go on like it didn't happen. "Need to get you to bed old man."

"Who you calling an old man?" Al asked as he sat up. Though he had his right arm in a sling he could still move with agility.

"The one who fell asleep on the floor," Dirk pointed out. Helping Al to stand, he ushered him out of the living room and to the hall then bathroom.

"Man I look like shit," Al said as he saw his reflection in the mirror as he passed it to make it to the john.

Pretending he didn't hear it, he took Al's toothbrush and put toothpaste on it. He handed it to Al after he washed his hand to brush his teeth. While Al brushed his teeth, Dirk found a clean washcloth and ran warm water on it. As Al finished with his teeth, he handed him the washcloth to clean his face. As soon as that was done, Dirk steered Al to his bedroom. Since returning from the mission and the hospital, Al had been sleeping in his own room. His arm was still raw and between the ways they slept, it would be jarred to much.

"Bed." He lifted the comforter and sheet and shooed Al into bed. Handing him the remote to the tv. "Watch the news and I'll be back in a little while with a drink and snacks."

"Dirk?" Al asked looking at him.

"What Al?" Dirk sat on the edge of the bed.

"Sorry." Al looked down but Dirk caught his chin.

"Nothing to be sorry about. We've been there before. I know, you know. It will get better."

"I'm so tired of this shit."

"I think when you get a bit better; we'll need to discuss where our future is going."

"But, you love this," Al started to protest but Dirk stopped him.

"I love you," Dirk smiled. "I can't risk you anymore. I think it's time to meet with Sandecker about those civilian jobs he was thinking about for us."

Al relaxed against the pillows. "Sounds like a plan."

Dirk leaned forward and kissed Al on the lips then stood up. "Rest, watch tv, and I'll be back after I take care of a few things."

Dirk headed kitchen to find the broom and dust pan. He took care to get the big pieces picked up then ran the vacuum over the area. He would do a second run in the morning. He returned to the bedroom with a tray with two cold Sprites and a bowl of mixed munchies. He stripped down to his boxers and got under the covers.

"Who's on?" Dirk asked as he took a pretzel.

"Leno has Drew Barrymore on and Letterman has stupid human tricks."

Al turned the tv to Letterman, "Like I had to think," he quipped.

"You okay?" Dirk asked.

"I will be."

They watched tv and made fun of the guests on Letterman. Dirk put the tray on the floor and settled down in bed with Al. They kissed good night and Dirk watched as Al closed his eyes.

They needed to move on. They couldn't keep going around on this track. He would call Sandecker to come see them.