Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
7,031
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
20
Hits:
1,298

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

Summary:

Co-authored by rorylie (Jack/Chloe) Chloe takes Chase out for his birthday.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

Chase fingered the edge of the blindfold. Reaching over Chloe smacked his hand away without looking, "It's a surprise, Chase. Keep it on or we're going home."

"What, suddenly you don't trust me?" he asked innocently.

She snorted and rolled her eyes, "I trust you, Chase. But I know you. If you think you can get away with it you'll look. Reach up again and I'll smack your head instead." He paused the motion half way. "Good boy."

Muttering under his breath, he said, "Yeah, you've got me really well trained. Look, Chlo, I told you, I don't want to do anything for my birthday. I'll be perfectly happy if we just hang out, have a few beers."

Turning into the parking lot, Chloe snapped, "Last time we had a few beers I ended up with a belly piercing, Chase. As much as I love you, I'm not getting anything else pierced for your birthday. Now stay there. I'll help you out."

He bulked. "I'm not walking into some place blindfolded. And I'm really like to see you try to make me."

Opening the door she ordered, "Out."

"No."

She grabbed the front of his shirt and leaned backwards. He had to get out or risk the thin material ripping and Chloe falling to the ground.

Feeling cheated, Chase snapped, "Dammit Chloe, don't you ever play fair?"

"Now why would I do that. Walk." Letting him hook his fingers through her belt, she guided him to the door of the club. The bouncer nodded at them and opened the door. Avoiding people, she led him to on of the mirrored booths in the back and sat him down. "Stay here, I'll be right back. And no peeking. I mean it, Chase."

Chase let her guide him into as seat. His fingers reluctantly slipped free of her belt. "Yeah, whatever," he grumbled.

None to gently she kicked his shin. "I mean it," she warned.

"Scout's honor."

That got an eye roll. "You were never a boy scout," she muttered. Walking up to the bar, she leaned over it, batting her eyelashes and trying her best to look, if not seductive, at least friendly. "I'd like some whiskey," she said. "My friend over there," she pointed, "it's his birthday, so could I just buy the whole bottle now so I don't have to keep coming back?"

The bartender grinned. "What would you like?"

She looked over the shelves. Deciding on their old favorite she said, "Just Jack Daniels. Who's the best bet for petite, blonde from the girls?"

Thinking for a moment, the man offered, "Try Brandy. She's just finishing her set."

"Thanks," she accepted the bottle and two glasses. Chuckling he said, "That's one lucky boy, having a girlfriend like you."

Absently she corrected, "Just friends." In a juggling act she managed to balance the bottle and glasses over to the table. "Alright," she said, setting down and opening the bottle. "You can take it off now."

Muttering in relief, Chase slipped the bandana off and blinked, his eyes adjusting. He quickly assessed his surroundings and his jaw dropped. "Chloe are we...?"

"Only the best for your birthday, right? I mean, you do like it, right? Cause I totally just had to try to flirt with the bartender to get this bottle, and I would hate to waste something like that."

Choking slightly, Chase said, "That's wasn't what I meant. Chloe, did you take me to a strip club?"

Well, he was back to stating the obvious again. "Uh, yeah, isn't that kind of obvious?"

"Whiskey," Chase ordered, grabbing a glass. "If I'm going to do this in front of you I want to be a little drunk."

She poured him a glass, pointing out, "Chase, it's not like I haven't seen you in worse positions. I mean, that time I walked in on you and..."

One hand came up in a halt gesture. "Stop. We said we wouldn't ever talk about that." "Whatever. So, am I the best non-girlfriend girl friend ever, or what?"

Tossing back his drink, Chase admitted, "Hell, yeah. You're more fun than most of the guys I know. I just hope I brought enough cash for decent tips."

She glowered at him. "I did my research."

"Meaning, shut up, I've got this covered." He grinned. "So what's the master plan?"

"Whatever you want. It's your birthday."

He gave her a look. "Chloe, you brought me here. Sat me down, and you don't have a girl on me already which means you have a plan. Plus, you're a terrible liar."

Why did he always have to be so difficult? "If I told you all my plans right now, there wouldn't be any mystery to our relationship, and I'd hate for you to get bored with me."

Laughing, he poured her a glass. "I could never get bored of you," he said fondly.

"Birthdays are supposed to be about surprises anyway," she said, taking a drink. "I mean, that is what you told me when we ended up getting tattoos on my birthday, right?"

The contents of his glass disappeared. "In my defense, we were both more than a little inebriated at the time," he muttered. "And you weren't exactly unwilling."

Another eye roll. “Are we supposed to be talking this much? I mean, isn't it rude, like, when you go to a poetry reading and you can't talk during anybody's crappy poem, because they're performing?"

Chase smiled, "Trust me. They're not picky."

Chloe saw the blonde the barman had indicated leaving the stage. "I'll be right back," she said. "Stay and flirt with that stripper over there or something."

The whole thing had seemed like a great idea to her, in theory. The perfect thing to get Chase for his birthday. Now that she was here, though, it seemed like a slightly less perfect idea, because the whole thing made her kind of nervous and she felt out of place and like she didn't know exactly what the hell she was doing. Walking up to the practically naked woman, she managed a weak smile. "Are you, Brandy?"

The stripper turned and eyed Chloe clinically. "That's me, sugar," she said in an almost kind tone. "How can I help?"

'Bartenders,' she thought, 'I can handle. It's not totally foreign territory. But how do you talk to a stripper exactly, and the fuck didn't I pay more attention when people were trying to teach me some damn social skills?'

A blush rising in her cheeks, Chloe admitted, "It's my friend’s birthday and I was wondering if..." She tried to get over the embarrassment of this part. "If you would go do, um." She broke off muttering, "Damn, I'm no good at this. It's not you," she said quickly. "I'm just really bad at this. I'm really bad with people. I work with computers." 'Fuck,' she thought to herself, 'why can't I stop talking?'

Brandy place her hand soothingly on Chloe's arm. "Don't worry about it, sugar. Would you like me to dance for your friend?"

Nodding, Chloe sighed in relief, "Yeah. That's it. I can pay you..."

Waving her off, Brandy took Chloe's hand, "Show me where he is. I'll do the rest."

"You're really nice," Chloe said absently. "I mean. Oh fuck, I don't know. I'm really great at always saying the wrong thing."

Unoffended, Brandy gently tugged the other woman through the crowd around the stage. "You're doing just great, sugar," she reassured Chloe. "Now, is that your friend there watching you?" She gestured at where Chase was sitting up in the booth, his eyes carefully following Chloe's movements.

Chloe started babbling. "That's him. His name is Chase. Wait, do you even care what his name is? I'm sorry; I really don't know what I'm doing here."

"Chase, huh," Brandy muttered. "Are you his girlfriend, sugar?"

Everyone always assumed she and Chase were together. She never could figure out why. "No. He's just my best friend. He's kind of my only friend. And you don't care, and I can't stop talking."

Brandy squeezed her hand and said gently, "You're doing just fine. So you don't mind if I get a little personal?"

Chloe shook her head, "Not really. I mean. Um. Maybe I should like, hide in the bathroom."

But the other woman wouldn't relinquish her hold. Stopping at the table, she pushed Chloe into the seat. A brilliant smile lit up her face as she turned to the man. "Hey, Chase. You interested, soldier."

Tearing his eyes away from watching Chloe with concern, Chase ran his gaze over the stripper with detachment that surprised Chloe. "Sure thing, honey," he said with his East Coast accent returning slightly. "How much?"

Shrugging Brandy replied, "Let's call it twenty for a lapdance, forty if you want me on the table."

Chloe had thought she'd be fine with this. I mean, this was why they came there and she had seen him in worse positions, but still, this could be awkward. Fuck, maybe she should have just stayed home with him and ended up pierced.

Seeing Chloe's discomfort, Chase sighed slightly and pulled out a twenty. "Keep the change, honey. Thanks for the thought."

Frowning, Brandy turned to the mortified Chloe and sighed. "Oh, sugar. This really is your first time isn't it."

"It's fine. I'm fine. Everything's fine. Do your thing. Really." Chloe took a long drink and poured herself another glass, swallowed that too, and looked at them. "Really, really fine."

Looking over at Chase, Brandy said, "I don't take charity soldier." To Chloe's surprise the other woman moved forward until she was standing in the computer geek's personal space. Hips swinging to the beat of the music the reverberated through out club, Brandy straddled Chloe's knees and put her hands on the other woman's shoulders. "Take it easy, sugar," she said in amusement, "I don't bite."

"I don't think," Chloe started. "I mean, how is this possibly going to make things better?"

Eyes glinting merrily the stripper tilted her head. "Take a look at your friend, sugar."

Chloe glanced over at Chase. His mouth was open and green took up most of his wide eyes as he leaned back against the cushioning. "God. Okay. Fine. Anything for you, you ungrateful bastard."

That made Brandy laugh. Chloe found herself growing less wary of the slight woman's weight on her legs. Maybe this would be okay. Brandy seemed really nice and she didn't mind when Chloe babbled. "You're really pretty," Chloe said. "I mean, objectively. Your face is very symmetrical and that's a proven marker of attractiveness."

"Thanks, sugar," Brandy said pleased, shrugging down her top some while rubbing their breasts together. "You're fair beautiful yourself."

More relaxed Chloe blushed. "That's a really nice thing to say. You're a nice person. And very patient. You have good social skills, which I guess is important in...your line of work."

Laughing, Brandy finished the dance, pulling back and fixing her top. "You're sweet," she told Chloe.

Chase pulled out another ten and slid it to the woman. "Thanks, honey. Chlo's a little...high-strung sometimes."

"I am. I'm sorry. I mean, I know this is supposed to make things less awkward, I just don't get much less awkward than this, right Chase?"

Chase stood up and sat down next to his friend. "You're doing great," he assured her. I was expecting you to duck and run by now. Would you mind if I got..."

"Brandy" Chloe supplied the name without thinking.

He nodded gratefully. "Brandy, to do a table dance for us?"

"No. Go ahead."

Smiling at Chloe, Chase passed two twenties over to Brandy. "You need any help up there?" He nodded at the stripper's heels. "I don't want you hurting yourself."

"That'd be nice, soldier," Brandy said with a bright smile. Chase stood and made a stirrup out of his hands, bending forward slightly. Brady slid the front of her foot into the stirrup, balancing on Chase's shoulders, and let him lift her to the table. "Thanks."

The fact that was all seeming less and less strange to her concerned Chloe, but only slightly. She sat back and took another drink. Chase sat back down next to Chloe, slinging his arm over her shoulder. Without thinking about it she leaned her head on his shoulder. Smiling at the two of them Brandy started moving to the music, slowly undoing the ties that held her shirt together.

"You're having fun, right," Chloe asked him. "Wait, do you want me to shut up now?"

Tenderly brushing a strand of hair out of her face, Chase replied, "I'm definitely enjoying myself, darlin'. Thank you."

"Good," she smiled at him. "Cause that's all that matters."

Smirking he patted her arm. Brandy's shirt fell to the table, leaving the stripper in a bra and mini-skirt. Chloe looked at her and sighed in envy at the tight stomach. "You have a really amazing body," she said without thinking.

Chase gave a low chuckle. Brandy offered a hand, "Come up here, sugar," she said laughing.

Chloe paused. "No," she said. "No, i'm fine right here."

Nudging her lightly, Chase said, "Go on Chloe. It's just me and Brandy here. These booths are designed so only the guy at the bar can see inside, to make sure nothings going on, and he won't say anything."

"If it wasn't your birthday, and you weren't my best friend," she muttered.

"I get it. You'll never, ever do this again. Now go." He nudged her harder this time.

Sighing she finished off her glass and accepted Brandy's hand. Chase steadied her on the way up. On the table she stood, stiff and unsure in her conservative t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers. Feeling dumpy next to the made up stripper in her spiked heels. But Chase was grinning at her and Brandy was right to her, urging her dance. 'This,' she thought, 'is the stupidest, most ridiculous thing I have ever done in my entire life.'

None the less her hips slowly picked up the beat and Brandy guided her with gentle touches, teaching her how to dance. "Go on and slide on out of that shirt, sugar," Brandy said with an encouraging smile. "Slowly now, grab the hem and lift it slowly."

"This better be the best damn birthday you ever fucking have," she said, glaring at Chase, but pulling off her shirt anyway.

"Fuck yeah," Chase muttered looking appreciative. "Best damn birthday I've ever had."

Brandy giggled and got Chloe swaying again. "Don't stop dancing. It takes some practice. Now kick off your shoes. Or we'll never get those pants off."

What the hell? Violently Chloe protested, "I am not taking my pants off!"

"You're wearing panties, aren't you, sugar," Brandy said patiently. "No one's going to see anything."

“No," Chloe said, shaking her head. "Nope, not even for you."

"I hate to point it out," Chase said with unholy amusement, "But I've seen you in your underwear before Chloe. Fairly often too."

Chloe glared at him. "Then you can just imagine it," she muttered.

Running a hand down Chloe's bare shoulder, Brandy wiggled her hips and let her skirt drop. Stepping out of it and kicking it to the side. Blushing, Chloe realized that, compared to the stripper, her underwear practically covered everything. "And you say I don't fight fair," she muttered under her breath.

Seeing the Chloe's resignation, Brandy smiled. "Kick off those sneakers," she said cheerfully. Obediently, the computer geek slid out of her shoes and kicked them at Chase. In the same manner as a kindly teacher with a difficult student, Brandy explained, "Now undo the button and fly and let them hang. Wiggled your hips and move your legs to help slide them down. Bend over slowly now."

"Wait," she said, trying one last time to get out of it. "Why do you even want me to do this," she asked Chase. "We don't like each other like that."

Giving her a mysterious smile, Chase said, "You're having fun. Far be it form me to stop you." He pointed, "Plus I get to watch her."

It was official. Chase was nuts. "You're right," she said, "this is totally me having fun. It's a good thing the safety of millions of people doesn't depend on your ability to read people well."

Smirking Chase leaned back and crossed his arms. "Keep going, sugar," Brandy encouraged her, "You're doing great." "Keep the top on," Chase said quietly. "Somehow I don't think, Chlo's quite ready to do that." Nodding, the stripper urged Chloe to dance with her. "Relax," she murmured, "it's just us here. You shouldn't be ashamed, you're gorgeous."

"You owe me," she said to Chase. "So much. You better start planning my birthday right now."

Sincerely Chase said, "I'll take you to CalTech's IT fair. How 'bout that?"

"Nope. Not good enough. Do better."

He thought for a moment. "Okay, I'll take you to the fair and let you sling me around as your boy toy in front of the rest of the women. And then I'll take you out for a nice dinner on the bay and we can go to the beach after dinner, pick up a movie on the way home, and take Angela out for ice cream."

"You know, you don't fight fair either. Bringing Angela into this. Cause I can't ask for something better than that." He gave her a shit-eating grin.

"You've got a daughter," Brandy asked Chloe. "I've got a three-year old of my own."

"Technically she's not mine, she's his. But I'm the closest thing to a mother she has,” Chloe explained.

"You're her mother," Chase told her firmly. "I wouldn't let any other woman raise her."

"I know," she said softly.

Brandy looked at both of them something akin to respect and wonder. "I'm sure you'll both be great parents," she said firmly. "And you should probably be getting home to your little girl."

Puzzled, Chloe turned to Chase. "You've been up there for nearly an hour," he told her smiling. "I told you, you were having fun."

She was going to smack that smug look off his faced. “Yeah, best time I've ever had in my life, blah blah blah, hand me my drink, okay? And if the next words out of your mouth are slow down I will hit you."

He grinned and handed her a full glass, then handed the second one to Brandy. "Thanks, Brandy. This is the best time I've had in awhile." Brandy smiled at him. "Glad to help, soldier. If you'd let me down?" He stood and helped her off the table, handing her clothes to her. She dressed quickly while Chase got Chloe down. "Feel free tolook me up any night," she said.

Pulling several bills from his pocket, Chase pressed them into the strippers hand. "For your time and the lesson," he said quietly. "I owe you."

Brandy looked at the cash, her eyes widening slightly. "This more than covers it. Thanks. You two have a good night."

"I can get drunk now, right," Chloe asked him. "The interactive part of my evening is over, but you, you do what you want. I'll hang out. I'll watch. I'll try not to talk."

Chase nodded. "Get dressed and stay in this booth," he ordered. "I'm going up to the stage by the bar. If anyone makes you uncomfortable wave down the barman. He'll send someone, 'kay."

She waved him off, "Yeah. Fine," pouring herself another glass.

Chase nodded and ducked out of the booth, pausing to speak to the man who'd been leaning just out of sight watching them. "What the hell are you doing here, Jack?" Chase said softly. "She'll be mortified.”

Jack gave his former partner an unreadable look. Sighing, Chase accepted that the older man wasn’t going to give up anything tonight. “I'm going to find some entertainment." Jack sipped his drink and smirked. Grimacing at his partner, Chase defended, "Hey, I'm younger than you. I don't have the patience to watch something like that and keep it casual. Keep an eye on her for me. I'll be driving home."

She wasn't having the worst time, she realized. Or maybe that was the whiskey. She loved the whiskey. It never occurred to her to wonder why Jack slid into the booth across from her. "Hiya, Jack," she said brightly.

"Hello, Chloe," he replied with a gentle smile. "Are you enjoying yourself?"

Nodding enthusiastically she answered, "I am. It's Chase's birthday. We're celebrating. He's somewhere. I don't really know. But if anybody fucks with me, I'm supposed to wave to the bartender. I was nice to him. We bonded, so he's totally got my back."

Jack smiled at her. "That's good. Do you mind if I sit here for a little bit. My legs are getting tired."

"No," she, patting the seat next to her. "Sit. Have a drink with me. Do you like whiskey? I love whiskey, I think it's the best." She poured herself another glass.

Discretely moving the bottle away from her, Jack answered, "I can see that. But I had a beer earlier and I'm driving myself home, so I'll have to pass."

"That's too bad. I danced with a stripper," she said brightly. "Did you know I danced with a stripper? And it was fun. But don't tell Chase because I'm totally going to make him feel bad for making me do it. I have a whole plan. A three prong plan. Where is Chase, anyway?"

Her eagerness made Jack laugh. "I think he went to make some fun of his own." Indicating one of the main tables with his chin, he smirked. "He's really turned on the charm with the girls."

“Yeah, he's like that. Charming. That's why we're so good together,because he's charming and I'm not. Give me that," she said, pointing to the bottle.

Trying to keep casual, Jack offered, "How about I get you some coffee instead."

"No. I don't want that. Chase said I could get drunk, and it's his birthday so we have to do what he says. Did you know it's his birthday? And I am the best girl friend ever because I brought him here."

Deciding it wasn't worth the impending battle, Jack poured her another drink. "Yeah. He told me. He's damn lucky to have a girl like you in his life.

Feeling pleasantly buzzed she giggled. "That's so nice to say! Everybody is being really, really nice to me. Including that really pretty stripper who taught me how to dance."

"Well that's good. Will you dance for me sometime?" Jack requested carefully.

Chloe thought about it. "Maybe. If that's what you want for your birthday. But I think I might retire."

Swallowing, Jack said hoarsely, "I'd really, really like that as a present. Why do you want to retire though. You were looking great?"

Oh shit. Even her alcohol hazed mind knew this was bad. "You're lying," she said, staring at him. "Because Chase told me nobody could see me, and he never lies to me because he loves me."

"I'm nobody," Jack asked, faking being hurt. When the humor didn’t go over well he reassured her, "I'm sure he didn't lie. Didn't he say the barman could also see you?"

This was not happening. "You're not a bartender, Jack. But you can pour me another drink," she laughed.

Obeying, Jack told her, "No, but the bartender's a friend of mine. I spelled him for awhile."

"No," she said shaking her head. "You couldn't see me. Chase wouldn't let that happen."

One of her hands was carefully held in his. "Is that a problem?" he said quietly. "I don't want to upset you, Chloe."

She pulled away from him. "Where's Chase? I want to talk to him now."

"Shh." Jack brushed her hair out of her face. "You stay right here. I'll get him, okay?"

"Because I have so much say in what you do now," she asked, rubbing her eyes.

Moving to sit next to her, Jack carefully tried to get her lean against him. His attempt failed and she pulled stiffly away. "You have plenty of say," he murmured. "Would you like me to take you home right now?"

Feeling the familiar sensation of panic in her chest Chloe insisted, "I want. To talk. To Chase. I want you to leave me alone. You've done enough."

Pulling back, hurt, Jack said quietly. "Okay, Chloe. I'll be right back." He left the booth and disappeared into some other part of the club.

She wanted to cry, but she was pretty sure you weren't allowed to do that in a strip club, so she settled for another drink.

"My, your soldier was right, sugar, you are smashed." Brandy, dressed regular clothes with her make-up wiped off slid into the booth. Seeing the glossiness of Chloe's eyes she asked, "What's wrong, sugar?"

Despite the other woman’s kindness Chloe wanted this to be private. "Nothing," she said, wiping her eyes again. "Where's Chase and why the hell won't anybody let me talk to him?"

Placing one hand over Chloe's, Brandy pointed, "Jack's got him, sugar. They're heading this way right now."

"You know Jack?"

"That old fly-boy, yeah. He and Timmy go way back. He plays bouncer on really rough nights."

It figured. "That's Jack, always saving somebody."

Concerned, Brandy asked, "Sugar, are you sure you're alright? You really don't look good."

Why wouldn’t she go away? "I'm fine. This is the best day ever."

Chase sat next Chloe. Nodding to Brandy, he asked tenderly, "You okay, darlin'?"

Gulping her drink, Chloe snapped, "I want to talk to you."

There was a visible wince when Chase glanced at the bottle. "How 'bout we go home? That sound good?"

"No, no, I need you to explain something to me."

He leaned back. "Shoot."

It was a struggle but she kept her voice even. “Well, you know, I don't always understand what other people do, and maybe I am a little drunk, but how exactly, did Jack happen to show up here just in time to see dance on a table in my underwear? Because god, if that happened, that could be really embarrassing for me," unable to stop the tears anymore she wiped her cheeks.

"Hey, darlin'," Chase tugged her down to his shoulder. Whispering in her ear, he explained, "I didn't know until I saw him outside our booth, Chloe. I swear to God. I had no idea he saw you." Carefully he used his thumb to brush away her tears.

"If you're lying to me…"

"Would I lie to you, darlin'?

Disappearing into the floor would be good right now. "He saw me, Chase! God, I’m gonna have to quit my fucking job."

Brandy demanded softly, "What's the problem, soldier."

Pulling Chloe into his lap, Chase explained grimly, "Jack's our boss. Well, her boss now. It's going to be fine Chloe. You won't have to quit CTU. Jack's not going to care."

Was he a complete idiot? "I care! I care. And where the hell is my fucking glass?"

The glass was shoved away. "Chloe," Chase said firmly, "you've had enough. You're upset. I need you to breath for me. Just take a moment and breath."

She growled and swatted him. "I don't want to breath. And don't fucking tell me I've had enough. I danced, in my underwear, on a table, in front of Jack, because of you, so I think I deserve to drink as much as I want."

"Chloe," Chase snapped right back, "You've gone through three quarters of that bottle by yourself. Tomorrow you aren't going to remember anything passed the quarter-bottle mark. I'm gonna take you home now. If you're still awake, I'll give you some of the scotch okay?"

Things were getting worse. She just wanted to stay here and disappear. "Please don't yell at me," she cried. "You know, just. I'm fine, okay, I'll be fine. Just go enjoy what's left of your birthday."

Kissing her temple, he whispered contritely, "I didn't mean to yell. Easy, darlin'. You did great. I had a great time. But we need to go home now. Okay?"

"I just want everybody to leave me alone, okay? I want to sit here with my bottle, that I paid for, and I want everybody to stop being so damn nice. And if you're worried about me, I'm sure Jack will lurk somewhere and watch me for you."

In a single heave, Chase got to his feet. Chloe was cradled in his arms like some heroine from a romance tale. Brandy put the almost empty bottle into Chloe's hands. "Put. Me. Down."

Nuzzling her cheek, Chase said, "I like you like this." Keeping to more discrete edges of the club he made his way to the entrance, carrying his friend.

"Stop it! Jack Bauer, you remember Jack, right? My boss, that guy I have that stupid crush on? Saw me dance on a table in my underwear, so why don't you tell me what the proper reaction to that is?"

"Shh, darlin," Chase pushed open the back door with his foot and darted out into the alley behind the club. "Don't worry. Tomorrow you aren't going to remember this. And Jack won't say anything."

"Jack," she said looking up. "Jack is right there. God, what the fuck, are you actually everywhere now?"

The pale eyes looked fearful in the lamplight. "Chase, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset her like this."

Giving his former partner a look, Chase growled, "How did you expect her to react, Jack? Did you expect her to get up on the table for you? You know how she is."

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here! Oh god Chase, I have to throw up."

Experienced in this situation, Chase let her legs drop to the ground. Dragging her two steps over a trashcan, he let her lean over his arm. One hand held her hair out of her face as her stomach cleared itself of the excess alcohol. "Oh god," she said, leaning against him. "I'm sorry," she cried. "It wasn't supposed to be like this, not on your birthday. Just. You can just go back inside. And you can make Jack take me home. I have to tell him I quit anyway."

"Easy, darlin'." Chase pulled her upright. "I'm gonna to take you home now. You can use me as a pillow tonight. Does that sound okay."

"You," she said, turning to point at Jack. "You shouldn't have watched me like that. You shouldn't have embarrassed me like that. Because now I have to quit my job and I'll never see you again. But I guess it doesn't matter any more if you know I'm in love with you, because I'm not going back to CTU, not after that."

Jack was shocked. He gaped at his favorite tech. "Why didn't you say anything, Chloe?" he demanded. "I've been trying to catch your attention for a year now and you haven't shown a single sign you were interested in what I was offering."

"Cause it doesn't matter, because you'll never love me."

The agent took several steps forward. Reaching over, he grabbed Chloe and yanked her against him. Before she could protest he kissed her. Pulling back he growled, "What. A. Load. Of. Bullshit." Punctuating each word with a kiss. "I think I've loved you as long as I've known you. I was just to thick to figure it out."

A few futile shoves hit his chest. "Stop it," she said, trying to pull away. "Chase make him stop it. I know what you're doing. Trying to make me feel better, or whatever. Just stop it."

Chase moved to separate them, but Jack held Chloe tighter, snarling at his former partner. "Back off, Edmunds." To Chloe he demanded, "Why the hell would I want to make you feel better? According to your theory, I've already got what I wanted and I don't need you anymore."

She shook her head frantically. "I've seen the girls you love Jack. I've meet them. They're not like me. They don't act like me, they don't look like me, they're
nothing like me."

"And they don't last very fucking long either." He interrupted. "I want to keep you around, Chloe."

"Why are you doing this," she cried.

Twirling a strand of her hair around his finger, Jack smiled sadly. "I think it would be obvious. I love you, Chloe O'Brian. I love your lack of social skills, your genius IQ, the way you smile, your eyes when Chase tells a joke, the way you'll do anything in the right company, how easily embarrassed you are. I love it all. And I want you to stay."

Her dark eyes stared at him. Then she said practically, "You need to move, Jack, or else I'm gonna throw up all over you."

Jack turned her to the side but hung on. "I don't care."

She tried really hard not to throw up on his shoes. But not even she could avoid splashing some of the foul smelling liquid on his boot and the hem of his pants. Gasping, she muttered, "Sorry."

"Don't be," Jack told her firmly. "I just want to be close to you. If that means getting puked on, so be it."

"God, this is really happening, isn't it? I love you and you say you love me and you totally violated my trust and saw me in my underwear and I threw up on shoes. Chase?"

Sounding resigned, Chase sighed, "You're both shit outta luck. Chloe's not going to remember this tomorrow. And before you even think about it, Jack, she's going home with me. The last thing she needs is to wake up in your bed with no idea how she got there."

She pulled away from Jack and staggered towards her friend. "Will you take care of me now? I know I fucked up your birthday."

Moving warily forward to meet Chloe, his eyes on Jack, Chase reassured her, "I'll always take care of you, Chloe. There's nothing you could do that would stop me."

"Wait," she said. "I don't want to forget this. I mean, I want to forget a lot of it, the throwing up and the underwear and the dancing, but," she said looking at Jack, "I don't want to forget what you said to me. I want to love you, and I want you to love me. So you," she said, turning back to Chase, "you have to make sure I don't forget."

Chase hesitated, biting his lip. Finally, he asked, "How far do you trust me, Chloe?"

"You know that. I trust you all the way, always."

"I love you," Chase told her, his jaw tense. "Jack, load her into the truck. I have an idea."

Reaching up Chloe wrapped her arms around the older man’s neck. "I do love him," she murmured as Jack picked her up. "I mean, I tried not to for a really long time, but I do. It's hopeless. I love you and I always will."

"Then we'll be hopeless together," Jack informed her determinedly. He sat in the back of the truck with her in his lap while Chase started to drive them to Chloe's house.

"Chase," she said. "What are we doing?"

Keeping his eyes out for drunk drivers, Chase responded, "We're going to your place. You and Jack are going to sleep in your bed. I'm going to sleep in the chair. When you flip out tomorrow when you wake up, I'll tell you what happened tonight."

"That seems like a really bad plan," she said. "But I trust you."

Grimacing, he admitted, "I don't have a better one. You know that getting really drunk gives you temporary amensia.

This sucked. "Fuck. I'm gonna forget all those nice things you said about me."

Calmly, Jack informed her, "Then I'll tell you again and again until you remember."

Chloe smiled out of the blue. "Hey, Chase, I got you a present! I almost forgot."

Pulling into the driveway, Chase said, "Cool. What is it?"

"A bunch of that porn you like. I just don't remember where I put it."

Chase banged his head on the steering wheel and muttered, "You had to say that in front of Jack, didn't you?"

"Huh? Oh. Right. Sorry. Um, so wait. How exactly do we do this sleeping thing?'

Jack simple carried Chloe into the house, Chase walking ahead of them to open doors. "Well, you're going to take some aspirin," the younger man explained, "then I'll get you ready for bed and you can sleep next to Jack. I'm going to drag the chair over to your side of the bed and sleep there. When you wake up, I'll be able to stop you from running out before we can talk to you."

He couldn’t come up with a better idea? "What if I don't believe you?"

"You trust me, don't you?" he demanded.

"Yeah."

"That's what I'm depending on," Chase admitted, disgusted with his own lack of creativity.

Lifting her head up, Chloe commented idly. "I always really wanted to sleep next to you."

Chase sighed irritably, "You do it on a regular basis, Chloe."

She rolled her eyes. "I wasn't talking to you any more!"

A soft chuckle rumbled from Jack's throat. "I've wanted to sleep next to you too."

"I'm sorry I threw up on your shoes."

The agent didn’t even grimace. “I've had worse done."

Her gesture downwards was jerky and uncoordinated. “They were nice shoes."

"Teri threw up on these a couple of times. She couldn't hold her liquor either."

"I can hold my liquor just fine," she protested.

Pulling down the covers, Chase tossed over his shoulder, "Keep telling yourself that, darlin'."

Chloe protested, "No, it's not the alcohol I have a problem with, it's the declarations of love in strip club parking lots that I have a problem with."

"Where would you like me to declare my love then," Jack asked as he got her out of her shoes.

She looked around. "Here."

Standing up he kissed her on the nose, "I love you, Chloe."

The tears came again. "I just. I don't want to forget any of this."

"Hey," Chase smiled at her. "I'm going to remind you. Jack'll make you remember."

"No," she sniffed. "It won't be the same. We already wasted so much time and now we have to lose one more day and it's all my fault and I'll never remember the first time you told me you loved me."

A large hand that wasn’t Chase’s stroked her cheek. "Then we'll just make a whole bunch more memories," Jack promised.

"What if we wake up tomorrow and some terrorist comes after you and takes you away and this is all I have and I messed it all up?"

"They won't get Jack," Chase told her coldly. "I won't let them."

Her stomach bucked unpleasantly. "I'm gonna be sick again," she sighed. "This really sucks." A foot shove the waste basket in front of her. "I'm sorry," she muttered. Looking at Chase, "Will you brush my teeth?"

Leading her into the bathroom, Chase pulled out everything he needed. "Lean on the sink, darlin'," he ordered. "I've got this part."

"I'm sorry about your birthday. I know I messed everything up. And I really wanted it to be the best, too."

He scrubbed her teeth and took advantaged of her forced silence. "This is the best birthday I've ever had. Ever, Chloe. Don't apologize."

The dark eyes glared mildly at him for his trick. "That's better," she said after she spit into the sink. "Thank you. I bought you a cake. I thought we could have it tomorrow with Angela."

He nodded. "And Jack. And no alcohol."

"I'm never drinking again."

Chase snickered. "Sure, Chloe. You say that every time."

The agent had wandered across the bedroom and was leaning on the doorframe. "Jack," she said, smiling. "You're still here. I thought maybe you were a dream."

Picking her up, Jack carried her to the bed assuring, "I'm right here." Laying her on the uncovered part, he stood back and let Chase work on her clothes. The jeans were undone and t-shirt tossed aside.

"I want your sweatshirt," she demanded imperiously. Chase dug the gray DCMPD sweater out of her drawers and slipped it onto her. "I guess I have to wear pants too, huh?" Before Jack could say anything, Chase dug out a pair of his own cut off cargo pants and handed them to her. "Chase has clothes here. He has his own drawer. He'll let you borrow something."

Jack froze. "Oh shit. Chase I didn't know..."

"Didn't know what," she asked. "I don't think I can follow this conversation."

Chase shook his head. "No Jack. We aren't involved. Chloe, darlin', put on the pants."

"Oh. I'm his best nongirlfriend girl friend," she explained. "And I don't always like to wear clothes when I'm drunk. Cause I get hot. And I forget. And you can't call me darlin', because that's only for Chase."

Sitting on the bed, Jack asked, "Can I call you baby?"

"Baby, baby, baby," she repeated.

"Come on baby," Jack said with a shy smile, "let's go to bed."

He was nice and warm, almost as comfy as Chase. Only, Chase was all tendon and bone. Jack was just as firm, but bulker. "Are we gonna have babies," she asked him.

"Chloe," Chase groaned.

"What?"

Chase reached over and stroked her hair. "Sleep," her friend commanded wearily, "you can talk tomorrow."

"Wait," she said. She turned to Jack. "You have to love Angela. Because she's like my own baby."

Snuggling next to her Jack said, "I think I can manage that."

"Will you play with my hair?" Chase moved his hand so Jack could have a go.

The blunt fingers, not Chase’s again, not slim enough, combed through the blonde strands. "Like this?"

"Mmmhmm." She didn't last long enough to see Chase settle in the chair, keeping watch.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Doc Scurlock.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.