Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
5,361
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
5
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,543

No Longer A Messer

Summary:

Sequel: Read A Liar And A Messer first
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo Danny/Surprise
Rating: teen
Disclaimer: not mine; not making any money
Warning: May need a tissue, may not.
Notes: CSI NY crossover with NCIS, Ziva never joined after Kate died. I've changed a few things, but did leave some in. Beware of spoilers for season 1 of CSI NY and all 3 seasons of NCIS.
Submitted through the CSI_New_York_Slash mailing list.

Work Text:

No Longer A Messer
by Eri

The first thing Danny did after dropping his gun, badge and resignation on Mac's desk was call Abby. Danny had met Abby at a Forensics Conference the first year he joined CSU. Hitting it off right away Danny and Abby stayed friends, emails and phone calls when ever they could get the time. Other then Aidan or Don, Abby was his closest friend, and right now neither Don nor Aidan could help him.

As soon as Danny mentioned Mac breaking up with him Abby told him not to say another word. Drive here then we will have a long talk face to face about what's gong on. Couple hours later, and Danny is curled up on Abby's couch, wrapped in a thick comforter. Carton of Ben and Jerry's in one hand a spoon in the other.

Danny awoke after having been asleep for who knows how long. The sun was rising once again. Had it been that long? Perched on her favourite chair was Abby, book in one hand Caff Pow in the other.

"Abby how did you get a Caff Pow at this hour?" Danny's voice was rough with sleep.

"It's coffee"

Raising his eyebrows slightly Danny looked closer; heat was coming off the top.

"Why do you put coffee in that large of a cup?"

"So I don't have to get refills" Abby then looked over at Danny. His hair was standing up, spiked all different ways, a shadow on his face, and red eyes.

"You need to get up, shower, shave and eat something." The Goths voice was commanding but gentle all at once.

"I took today off, so that we could get a jump on finding you a place. I don't think you want to stay on my couch for long."

"It's lumpy" Danny said while starting to stand up. Folding the comforter and placing it back in its proper place in the closet.

"So I was thinking that maybe you should apply to NCIS." Abby's eyes held mischief and her grin did nothing to ease her eyes. "Why NCIS?" Danny hadn't thought about where he was going to find work. Figured he'd just join a local PD or something. He had been a beat cop once. Since he was a Detective with the CSU he could probably grab a job around here as one too, provided that Mac doesn't screw that up.

"Well with your CSI qualifications and the fact you were a detective you wouldn't have to take the probie course. Tony, he's second in command to Gibbs, my Boss man. He was a Detective before he joined NCIS."

"Maybe, we'll see what I can find. I'm going to grab a shower Abs"

"Ok, I got to run out for a few minutes, make yourself some breakfast when you get out and I'll be back soon. Oh don't worry about getting out fast, take your time. You deserve it." Abby called out, while grabbing her coat and heading out the door.

***

"Boss man! Boss man!" Abby called out as she entered the bullpen.

"Yes Abby? What are you doing here?" Gibbs asked eyebrows raised.

"Well I took the day off because one of my good friends just quit his job in NY, drove up here yesterday night, he had a horrible break up Gibbs that's why he had to quit and leave. So I'm going to find his a place to live and a job. That's why I'm here."

Gibbs stared at Abby. "How will you help him here?" Tony's voice broke in.

"He was a CSI Detective in Manhattan." She said smiling at Gibbs.

"I was hoping you would offer him a job"

"Why did he quit?" Gibbs asked

"I told you bad break up."

Grabbing Gibbs and Tony by their arms Abby pulled them into the elevator. Hitting a random floor she waited till it started to move then hit stop.

"Look its like this Gibbs, Danny was in a relationship with his boss. After a case involving a mob boss he upped and dumped Danny, telling him he was basically nothing. So I told Danny to move here, since he had already left his resignation on Mac's desk."

Abby looked at both the men trying to figure out how they took it.

"Ok Abs just a few questions" Tony started.

"Why did he dump his after a case with the mob? And is Mac his boss?" Abby sighed; she knew she should have chosen her words better.

"Danny came from a mobbed up family. He got out, became a cop. Mac, yes he was his boss, had interviewed Sonny, he's the mob boss. Danny had grown up with Sonny; his brother had joined the Tanglewood boys, which Sonny runs. Sonny said he knew all about Danny and that Danny knew all about him. Basically trying to ruin everything Danny had worked so hard to build, to get away from his family. Well it worked, Mac thinks Danny lied about ever being apart of Tanglewood, and he dumped him. He degraded him Gibbs. Told him he could never get away from his name. I know that if he tries to get a job as a detective else where they will call Mac and Mac is going to tell them he's no good."

Gibbs wrapped Abby into his arms, her long speech causing her to cry.

"Please just meet him"

"Ok Abs, but I'm not making any promises."

***

Abby rushed back to her apartment to grab Danny. Checking to make sure he was shaved, well dressed and ready to meet Gibbs, she had made him nervous by the time they got to the Navel Yard.

"Just be yourself, oh and I should warn you I think I let slip a little too much about your past." Abby bit her lip waiting to see Danny's reaction.

"So he's going to think I'm no good either?" Danny asked, voice quiet

"Gibbs doesn't go on what others say, he makes up his own mind"

***

Standing in the bullpen Danny met Gibbs eyes. Gibbs had been standing in front of Danny for nearly a half hour. Testing him, figured Danny, he'd wait till Gibbs spoke to him.

Gibbs slightly tipped his head. "Your not intimidated by me?" he stated more then asked.

"No, I've learned to respect Marines, not to be intimidated by them"

Gibbs looked over at Abby, "You tell him I'm a Marine?"

Abby just shook her head. "My last employer was a Marine."

Gibbs just nodded. "While Abby went and grabbed you I had McGee run a few checks on you. From what he found you sound like an outstanding CSI."

McGee stood up from his desk, walking out into view of Danny. "I found several papers of yours that were published, and articles of cases you've worked on."

Tony and Gibbs shared a whole conversation with one look, Tony breaking the eye contact first and walking over to Danny. "Welcome to the team"

***

"So what exactly are we doing again Tony?" McGee asked grabbing another chair to join Danny, Abby and Tony by the phone.

"I'm going to call Mac, and pretend I'm from the Baltimore PD. Ask a few questions and see what he says."

"Why not say you're from NCIS?" McGee questioned. Looking confused as to Tony's intentions.

"McGee if Tony says he's from NCIS then he'll know where Danny is!" Abby squealed into his ear.

Hitting the button for speaker phone Tony signaled for complete silence. Dialing the number, the phone rang twice before a brisk "Taylor" was said into the phone.

"Hi, my name is Detective Dandure of the Baltimore PD." Tony stated.

"Detective Dandure, how can I help you?" Mac's voice lost its rough edge almost seeming open now. Danny knew better.

"You are listed as the previous employer for a Daniel Messer. On his application he stats he left on his own accord. Can you confirm that?"

Mac paused for a moment. "Yes he left on his own accord. I have to admit I didn't think he would put my name down as his last employer."

Tony raised his eyebrow at Danny. "Are you not his last employer?"

"I am he left only a few days ago. I didn't mean anything by my last comment. Forget it."

Danny shook his head. Mac meant a lot by that comment; he just didn't want to explain it.

"I recognize his name, Messer, is he in any way related to the Mob family?" Tony decided he'd see what he could get out of Mac; find out what he really thinks. Rubbing his hand up and down Danny's back, Tony tried to convey that mentally. He didn't want to offend the young man.

"He is, Danny is a good cop." Mac's voice was starting to get that rough edge to it again.

"You can honestly say you have no fears of him being connected still to his family then?" Tony tried to pick his words carefully.

"I worried about his past, whether he was honest when asked, and to tell you the truth when he left I thought he would have given up trying to do the right thing and go back to his family."

Danny's heart ached at Mac's words, how he could say those things.

"Having you call here asking about me has made me realize that Danny is a lot stronger then I first thought. Don't get me wrong, he is a great detective. He was one of my best CSI's. I'm sorry to have lost him. If I were you, I would hire him. Have I helped you at all?"

Mac hoped his words hadn't wrecked Danny's chance at the job.

"Yes you have helped a lot. Thank you Detective Taylor" with that Tony hung up the phone.

 

"So? Danny, hear what you thought he would say?" Tony asked looking at the blonde.

"Yes and no. I figured he would say something about me running back to my family. I didn't think he would say I was one of his best CSI's, not with everything he said before I left." Danny rubbed his face. At least he was starting to fit in.

"Well from what your record says you are a great CSI" Gibbs voice startled Danny. Everyone else seemed used to Gibbs popping up.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you call NY Tony pretending to be your last employer. Abby since you still have the day off, go. Take Danny with you. Danny, you start Monday 0800" Gibbs watched as Abby grabbed Danny, skipping towards the door.

"Were going to say hi to Ducky first Gibbs, see you all Monday!"

***

Stella walked further into Mac's office. She had been standing at the door the whole conversation.

"Mac" she started.

"I know Stella, I messed up. But it looks like he has a new job now" Mac sighed.

"You know where he is, go get him." Stella pointed at the door. Baltimore isn't too far, no new cases right now. Go we can handle it!"

Mac stood and grabbed his jacket. "Ok, I'll bring Danny home."

***

Abby and Danny spent the rest of the day looking for a place for Danny to live. Having had no luck, they decided to give up for today and meet up with Tony at a local mixed club.

"You know if your still looking for a place Danny, the apartment beside mine has been vacant for some time. I could vouch for you. Help get you in." Tony's smile was welcoming and his voice held sincerity.

"That would be great!" Danny said taking a sip of his beer.

He had only been gone a few days and already he had a few new friends, a job, and hopefully a place to live.

***

Having gotten the place beside Tony's Danny was pretty excited. He and Tony had a few things in common that they knew about now. Who knows how much they actually have in common. Since Danny had no furniture the team got together pulling things they really didn't need from their apartments.

It was now Sunday evening, and Danny and Tony were sitting on Danny's new old couch talking.

"How do you like your place?" Tony said after Danny joined him in the living room

"It's nice, smaller then my old place, but I had moved into Mac's apartment." Danny wiped his eyes; it would take a while before he could talk about Mac and not feel like crying.

"It works though, I don't need much. You guys have been great. You just met me and you're making me feel so welcome."

Tony smiled as Danny's face lit up.

"You are now a member of the team, which makes you family. We take care of family."

Danny leaned back into the arm rest. He was going to like it here.

***

Aidan and Stella walked into Mac's office both looking very angry.

"Where is Danny? Why isn't he back? Who is that woman in his desk?"

Mac held his hand up to silence the questions he was being bombarded with.

"I went to Baltimore to speak with Detective Dandure, he told me he never heard of Danny and that he never called me. I looked into the call and found out it was scrambled. He doesn't want to be found. He doesn't want to come home. He most likely just wanted to know what I would say about him." Mac sighed, pausing for a moment.

"As for Lindsay, she is Danny's replacement"

 

~Several Months Later~

Danny walked into the bull pen greeting McGee and Tony as he made his way to his desk. Sitting down he locked his gun up and started his computer. Tony looked over at Danny, stopping his actions.

"You know Danny, I've heard a lot about Aidan and Don, but never met them."

Danny looked up startled.

"I haven't spoken to either of them since I left New York. What made you bring them up?"

Tony swiveled his chair a little getting ready to shoot paper balls at McGee.

"I don't know I hear a lot about them, seems like you were all close. Why don't you invite them up?"

Tony shot a paper ball at McGee it bouncing off his head to land in the garbage bin.

"Score!"

Danny laughed at Tony's antics while McGee glared over at Tony.

"I don't know. They probably don't even want to hear from me." Danny said nonchalantly.

Tony stood up, walking towards Danny's desk. Picking up the phone he smiled.

"Call now."

***

Aidan stood in Danny's bedroom looking in the mirror, fiddling with her hair a little.

"Stop `fixing' your hair, you look good" Don's think accent cut through the silent room. Walking across the room Don moved to join Danny sitting on his bed.

"When will this Abby get here?" Don asked Danny

"Soon, she runs on her own schedule."

Walking into Danny's room Tony gave a little wave.

"Still waiting for Abby?" he asked.

Danny nodded. "Not to late for you to join us" Danny coaxed. Tony was fun to club with. Since Danny wasn't looking for anyone and Gibbs never went clubbing, Danny and Tony danced together. Abby always found someone, she attracted attention the moment she entered a room.

"Nope, Jethro and I have a nice evening planned. He's coming over for a quiet dinner." Tony wiggled his eyebrows at Danny, causing the blonde to laugh.

Pushing past Tony Abby practically bounced onto Danny.

"Gibbs is waiting for you at your place Tony. Ready to go?"

***

Aidan had danced with so many different people. Men, woman, she lost count how many. Sitting down she noticed Abby walk over with two drinks. Placing one in front of Aidan she smiled.

"Don and Danny look good together" she shouted over the music at Aidan.

"Don't they? Don has always loved Danny and I think Danny has always cared for Don. Maybe they will do something now that Mac is no longer in the picture. He was never any good for Danny. Had too high of expectations. Danny practically killed himself trying to live up to them. In the end he failed." Aidan finished her short rant by taking a large gulp of her drink.

Both Abby and Aidan looked over towards the two men dancing together.

Holding Danny close Don couldn't help nibbling a little on his neck and ear. When Danny sighed and moved into his touch Don raised the blonde's head, their lips meeting for the first time. Fireworks went off behind Danny's eyes, his legs turned to mush and he became light headed. A kiss had never been like this before, not even his first with Mac.

Wrapping his arms tighter around Danny, Don began moving them towards a wall, pining him against it; Don continued to devour Danny's mouth.

***

Stumbling into Danny's apartment Aidan pushed passed the two men plastered against each other.

"I can find the stuff, you two just keep your clothes on till, I said clothes on till you're in Danny's room!" Aidan pushed the guys once more towards the bedroom.

Grabbing a blanket Aidan curled up on the couch and quickly fell asleep.

Finally managing to make it into Danny's room, they fell into a tangled heap on the bed. Ripping the clothes from each others bodies it didn't take long before both were naked. Pushing Danny down on the bed, Don leaned over him.

"You are so beautiful" he whispered into the blonde's ear, licking his way down his neck.

Running his hands over Danny's body Don kissed and licked every inch of skin he could reach.

"Where is the lube?" Don asked still running his hands over Danny's body.

"Night Stand" grabbing the lube Don coated his fingers. Rubbing against Danny's entrance Don pushed into him. Quickly prepping Danny, Don couldn't help grin at the way the blonde looked squirming under him.

Lining himself up Don pushed into Danny's body, enveloping him self in pure heat.

***

After spending the weekend in DC Aidan and Don both felt much better. Aidan was so glad to see that Danny was alright. Being appreciated by his coworkers and boss, and now he and Don were together. She didn't think she ever saw Danny smile so much in the entire time she'd known him. Every time she saw Don today he had the largest grin she ever saw. It is so great to see Don happy as well.

Sitting down at her desk for a short break, Aidan thought she'd check her email. Opening her account she found an email from Abby. Abby was something. That girl was wild, crazy even. Danny thinks the world of her too. She helped pull him up and together after Mac smashed his heart to pieces.

Aidan clicked on the email opening it to find pictures of the weekend. Smiling to herself she couldn't help giggle at some of the shots. The first one was of Danny and Tony, they were laughing together, playing some board game on one of Ducky's tables in Autopsy. Since everyone had to work late, Aidan and Don had met Danny at work, having finished sooner then expected Danny and Tony set up a game to pass the time.

The second picture was a good shot of the team. Danny wasn't off to the side like he always was when he was on Mac's team. He was in the middle, flanking his were Tony and Abby. He had a huge smile on his face too.

The third had to of been taken at Gibbs place. Tony had told Aidan how he was building a boat in his basement. She also said how about once a month they all gather there for dinner. The picture was Danny with some sort of tool in his hand. He stood in front of a shell of a boat. Again he was smiling.

The fourth picture was taken at the club, Don had Danny wrapped in his arms and they were kissing. It reminded Aidan again how happy Danny is now. A shadow fell over Aidan's screen making her look up. Closing the picture quickly Aidan turned around seeing Lindsay looking back at her.

"Who was that in the picture with Don?" She asked.

"What picture?" Aidan countered.

"The one you just had up, he was kissing someone." Lindsay tried to move around Aidan to open the picture again.

"Look it was nothing, just forget it."

As Aidan pushed Lindsay back, trying to get her away from the computer Stella walked in.

"What's going on?" she asked putting both her hands on her hips.

"There is a picture on her computer of Don, he's kissing some guy. Looks sort of like that Danny guy." Lindsay stated, glaring slightly at Aidan.

Moving past Aidan Stella clicked a button on her computer bringing the picture back up. Sure enough it was Danny, wrapped in Dons arms lip locked.

Stella stood mouth agape she couldn't believe it.

"How long have you known where Danny was?" She asked trying to stay calm. Mac wasn't going to like that Don know held Danny's heart.

"Just a few days" Aidan closed the picture down once again. No need for Mac to walk in and see it.

"Why didn't you tell anyone? How long has he been with Don?" Stella couldn't get the questions out fast enough.

"Don just found out too. He called us, asked that we come see him. Spend the weekend. So we did. They got together while we were there. We didn't say anything because he asked us not to." Aidan felt like she was betraying Danny with each word she spoke.

"Do you know anything about the call Mac got shortly after he left?" Stella inquired.

"Yeah" Aidan hesitated, should she tell her?

"Well?" Stella was starting to get impatient.

"Tony called, he works with Danny. His new boss didn't want to call Mac. He knew everything about why Danny left, didn't want to alert Mac to where Danny now was, since Danny wants to be left alone. Tony thought it would be interesting to hear what Mac would say about him. Danny heard everything it was done on speaker phone. Since Mac feels Danny has always lied about his past and that one day he'll up and run to his family turning to a life of crime, Danny had no reason to return to New York."

"He was hurt, he still loves Danny" Stella defended Mac.

"Well now he's with Don. They are happy. I have never seen Danny so happy." Aidan smiled again, imagining the looks on Danny and Don's faces the morning after they went to the club. Tony had come in the place to make breakfast. When the boys got up, Danny had introduced Don as his boyfriend to Gibbs.

"He has a boss who truly appreciates him, and coworkers that think of him as family."

"He had that here Aidan" Stella practically screamed at the younger woman.

"Well maybe we weren't the family he needed"

***

Stella stormed into Mac's office nearly breaking the door as she entered.

"Aidan and Don know where Danny is"

Startling Mac by the abrupt comment Mac took a few moments before he responded.

"Where?"

"She wont say" Stella practically collapsed into a chair.

"And Don?"

"He's seeing Danny, so you can guess what he told me." Stella seemed shocked that Don would with hold information from her.

"Since when?" Mac felt jealously forming in the pit of his stomach, making anger boil just under the surface.

"Only recently, Danny called them, wanted them to come see him. They got together on the weekend."

Mac stood up, rolling his sleeves as he did. Moving around his desk Mac briskly walked out of his office. Seeing Don walking towards the elevators, most likely leaving the lab Mac called out to him. Don stopped and turned around slowly, holding his hand up to stop anything Mac might say Don started first.

"I'm not telling you where Danny is"

"Why not? I just want to see how he is" Mac tried not to wipe the smile that was forming on Don's face off.

"He doesn't want to talk to you, you really hurt him. Just face it, he's now mine." Don's grin turned into a full blown glare, his eyes daring Mac to continue.

Mac's eyes looked like they could shoot daggers, intense glare boring into Don. Only Don didn't seem fazed by it. Mac's rational side finally seeped through making him back down. He'd find out where Danny was, it would just take time.

***

Out ranking Don and being head of CSU did have its advantages, and Mac used it to get a hold of Don's cell phone records. Sure enough he found several calls to his cell and from his cell with in the last few days, a DC number. Taking the number Mac got an address. After throwing a few things into a bag, he grabbed his keys and headed to DC.

Pulling up to the apartment complex Mac checked the paper he had written Danny's address on.

"#768, ok ill just go up, knock and beg him to take me back"

Mac took a deep breath, opening the car door he confidently got out walking towards the entrance. After what felt like an eternity the elevator let him off on Danny's floor. Walking over to his door Mac raised his hand to knock. Feeling slightly guilty Mac stopped. He had drove Danny off, even if he hadn't meant to, he was angry. Danny should be used to having to deal with be a Messer, but does he really deserves having his lover rub into his face where he came from?

After fighting with himself for a few minutes Mac finally just knocked. Answering the door topless, low riding jeans with a phone in his hand was Danny. Hair a dark brown instead of the blonde it used to be. Probably changed recently thought Mac. The older man took a good look at a stunned Danny. Starting at the bottom Mac took in everything, bare feet, and ratted bottoms to his jeans. No boxers sticking out usually meant he was going commando. A tattoo on his left hip, Mac could barely make out the top of it that was sticking out of his jeans. Bare torso and is that a nipple piercing? Looks like Danny had changed a few things while he was gone. Mac realized he must have been staring since Danny was now off the phone, arms crossed glaring at him.

"What are you doing here?" Danny asked his voice anything but inviting.

"I came to beg you to take me back."

Danny stared at Mac.

"Why would I do that?" Danny could see Tony flanking Mac, Mac probably didn't miss it either. Guess Abby called him after her and Danny hung up.

"Danny you were right, we were happy. I want to be happy again."

Before Danny could respond Tony was pushing into Danny's apartment, standing between Danny and Mac.

"You must be Mac" Tony stated "Why don't you go on back to New York, Danny here already has a boyfriend."

Mac looked anything but pleased that Tony had stepped in.

"This is none of your business, leave me and Danny alone."

"See this is my business, Danny is family, he's like a brother, and I promised him I would take care of him."

Mac bowed his head slightly, this was getting nowhere.

"Danny please just talk to me." Mac pleaded

Danny said something to Tony in what sounded like Italian then walked away from the door. Tony gestured for Mac to follow then moved into the living room. Sitting on the couch, Tony pointed to a chair that Mac could sit in; making it quite clear where Danny would be sitting once he came back into the room.

A few moments later Danny walked back into the room wearing a baggy t-shirt that read NAVY across it. Mac crinkled his nose trying to figure out why Danny would own a navy shirt. Had he dated a navy guy?

Signaling for Mac to talk, Danny sat on the far side of the couch. Sighing a little Mac tried to organize what he wanted to say.

"Danny I am so sorry for everything I said. I miss you; I need you to come home." Mac's voice held so much sincerity; Danny just wasn't having any of it.

"Mac I'm sorry you feel that way. I can't return. I have a life here, I feel truly happy for the first time. You ripped my heart to pieces you tore everything out of me. I had been willing to stay at Aidan's or Don's a few days, let you clam down, but you finalized everything with what you said before I walked out your door. I escaped my name, I finally did. They know where I came from; they even know the name here. They also don't care. I have bizarre hours, sometimes worse then when I worked for you, but in the end it's worth it. I'm paid more then when I was in New York, and really the money isn't important, but it's nice to have things I never did. I have an apartment of my own, with furniture!"

Danny's hands were waving in the air as he spoke.

"I go out on weekends, well the ones I have free, with friends. I have Donny. He loves me so much, and you know what? In the back of his mind he doesn't see a Messer, he sees me. You could never do that Mac; you can't even promise me that you'll try. You will always see my name."

Mac couldn't argue with that. Danny was right. He would always see Danny as a Messer. He's happy here, he's happy with Don. Can he really honestly try to ruin that? Mac stood up moving towards the door.

"I'm sorry Danny; just know that I truly am sorry for how we ended. I'm glad you're happy here. Can you do me one favor though?" Mac's voice sounded defeated, much like how Mac felt.

"Sure?"

"Keep in touch, call Stella, or drop me an email. If you're in town seeing Aidan or Don, come say hi. No pressure, I'll back off. Just keep in touch please."

Mac's request didn't seem all that hard to do really. Why not drop a line every now and then? He always liked Stella, giving her a call wouldn't be all the hard. Drop by? Would give him a chance to say hi to a few techies he liked.

"I can do that." Danny smiled a little.

Walking Mac to the door he gave Mac a small hug. The older man pulled Danny in, wrapping his long arms around the smaller man.

"I will always love you Danny." His words seemed to echo in the room long after he was gone.

-the end-