Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
449
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
795

The Cold That Brought Him Down

Summary:

Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom(s): The Sentinel
Genre (general, hetero or slash) General
Pairing/Characters: Blair Sandburg, Jim Ellison
Rating: FRT
Summary: Blair has pushed himself too far.
Warnings: Smarm, slight Blair owie
Notes: This was written for 100moods #89. Sick. I do not own The Sentinel or any of the characters. This was written for entertainment purposes only. No money was made from this endeavor.
Feedback on or off list encouraged.
Submitted through the BlairOooowies_GenFic mailing list.

Work Text:

The Cold That Brought Him Down
by Debbie

Blair denied the reality. He couldn't be sick. He was too busy to be sick. He had classes to teach, he had responsibilities to Jim and the rest of the PD and he had a party to plan. The rest of Major Crime had elected Blair to plan the Major Crime annual picnic. No, he couldn't be sick now.

Blair sat in his office at Rainier, trying to shake off the cold that was trying to take control of his body. He closed his eyes, feeling the aches and pains in his body. He coughed several times, feeling the scratchiness there. His breathing was labored and his chest ached somewhat. He had taken a combination of natural remedies just that morning. He had taken the same combination for the last few days. If Jim had noticed Blair's emerging sickness, he hadn't mentioned it to Blair.

Blair knew he had to get up. He had a class to teach in five minutes. But as soon as he got to his feet, the dizziness overcame him and he passed out on the floor.

~~**~~**

Jim sat by the bedside of his best friend. The doctor had assured him Blair was going to be fine. It was a combination of bronchitis and a cold. Blair had probably passed out because he was exhausted, pushing himself instead of resting and getting better. Jim felt guilty because he had missed the signs of Blair's illness. He had realized Blair was tired, but it seemed like Blair was tired all of the time.

"I'm sorry, Chief. I should have noticed you were sick. You might not be in the hospital right now, if I had caught it sooner. We've both been too busy lately."

Jim pushed back several strands of hair away from Blair's face. Two blue eyes slowly opened to look at Jim, finally focusing on him.

"Hey, Chief. Just relax. You're stuck here for a couple of days."

Blair tried to get out of the bed, but Jim easily pushed the young man back against the pillows.

"I've got... things to do -"

"They'll keep, Chief. You've pushed yourself too far this time."

"But the Major Crimes picnic..."

"Someone else can take care of it. You need to relax, get some rest and battle your illness."

Blair closed his eyes, a testament to just how tired he was. He opened them once more.

"Will you stay, Jim?"

"Yeah, Chief. I'll stay until you fall asleep."

Blair closed his eyes again. Jim knew it wouldn't be long until Blair was asleep again.

end