Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2006-07-23
Words:
2,635
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,328

Pandora's box

Summary:

The crew of serenity has a new member, mysterious cargo and a whole new group of enemies to contend with, not to mention the alliance.

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

Chapter 1: Part 1

Chapter Text

Part 1

They were at the docks again, looking for a job, they really needed a job. They'd been rationing for weeks and the way things were going he wouldn't be surprised if Jayne tried to eat him, at least knowing Jayne he would probably kill him first, less work. I mean they had food just little of it, forced to rely on the kindness of strangers, or maybe more appropriately the stupidity of strangers to leave food and valuables in places you could hardly not steal it, they had to learn some how and Mal was not above teaching.

"Ok crew, here's what we're going to do, Kaylee you stay here, see what parts of the engine you can fix with what we have."

"Can do Captain"

"Jayne, Zoë and myself will go off and see if we can get ourselves a nice paying job, and then maybe we can get some of that food I keep hearing so much about."

"Sounds good to me." Jayne mumbled between glances at the busy booths and carts.

2 hours later and they still hadn't found anything, this was getting ridiculous, and not in a funny way. They would have to keep looking, the engine was making noises he didn't like and Kaylee needed parts to fix it.

Mal sighed "So many uses for money, so little to spend."

"Ain't that the truth" agreed Zoë.

"We could always turn in River and collect the reward, that'd last us a long while." Jayne said hopefully. For which he received Zoë's I can hurt you look, she rarely even has to say it anymore. "I was just making suggestions"

"Well don't, we already talked over all that, and it's not happening. I mean to keep River from the Alliance not hand her over to them."

"What ever you say Captain."

"Why Jayne what a lovely attitude you have, it really makes this time we spend together a real joy" beamed Mal sarcastically.

"Yeah yeah" muttered Jayne "Can we just find a job, and get to the robbing and the shooting."

They all scanned the crowd looking for opportunities. Out of the corner of his eye Mal saw something purple standing out against the mix of browns and grays that surrounded them. He turned to see what it was and just caught a glimpse of the fabric as the wearer disappeared deeper into a crowd of people listening to an enigmatic story teller.

"Keep looking."

Hesitating a moment he went past the stilled people into a more open area filled with booths and shoppers. Looking around he again saw the purple that had caught his eye and now he also saw the young girl wearing it. She was average height, had light brown hair, bright hazel eyes, and was some where in between late teens and early adulthood she was also very pretty. He couldn't help but smile.

Walking up to stand beside her at the booth, making as if to look at the trinkets on display, he picked up a carved wooden statue of a giraffe. "You know they say these were the most fearsome carnivores of the rainforest." Mal said with a smile.

"I don't know, with necks that long? It seem like a huge weakness" She said doubtfully

"Mmm, yeah, I see you point. But they'd have great reach, element of surprise, I mean they could be on one side of a tree and their prey on the other, and they could just shoot their head around and grab them, poor little creature wouldn't even know what hit it."

"Do you think about this in your spare time or was that just off the top of your head?"

"I'm just a fast thinker is all." Mal glance back to assess the where abouts of Jayne and Zoë. "So how you been Cora"

 

"River...RIVER!" Simon shouted. He sighed as he surveyed the bay of the ship thinking of all the hiding possibilities for a girl like his sister.

"No luck?" Shepherd Book questioned coming in to view from a door at the top level and starting down the metal stairs.

"No...You?"

"Well I can tell you she's not in the common or storage rooms, or the extra shuttle and Inara has hers..."

"I checked the medical room, the engine room and the bunks, I just don't know where else to look."

"She'll come out when she's ready Simon, I'm sure theirs no need to worry."

 

"Hey Zoë look who I found"

"Hi Zoë" Cora beamed "Long time no see."

"Cora" Zoë said with disbelief "I haven't seen you in what seven years, look at you all grown up."

"She certainly looks grown up to me. I'm Jayne by the way" He said taking a step forward and putting his hand out.

"Whoa whoa, I see no reason for their to be contact involved" Mal said stepping in between them and guiding Cora away. "I'm going to go ahead to the ship and get her set up, think you can handle getting us a job"

"Sure thing Captain" Zoë responded.

"What was that all about" Jayne asked

"He's known her since she was a little girl, he's a little protective. Cora's father and Mal were old friends. She just left home recently."

"Well that's a weird coincidence, both of 'em ending up on the same planet at the same time." Jayne thought out loud.

"Yeah, that's really weird." She looked at him with eyebrows raised, trying to figure out when this became what she expected from him. "Come on lets go."

 

"RIVER" Simon yelled his voice almost hoarse.

"Missing is she?" Mal questioned, walking in with Cora.

"Umm...Yeah, who's this?"

"This is Cora, Cora...Simon, He's the ships doctor"

"Nice to meet you" Cora said confused by the suspicious way Simon was acting.

"Yeah you too... ok so I am going to go over there" Simon managed to choke out pointing wildly behind him, before he quickly walked up the stairs and through the door.

"That was weird"

"Wait till you meet his sister; alright let's get you to your room"

 

Walking into the kitchen/dinning room she found Mal sitting at the table cutting up an apple, a crate of which had been part of the payment for their last job.

"So funny thing about meeting Cora today." Zoë started as she sat down taking an apple of her own and pulling out her knife. "Weird coincidence."

"Yep, weird coincidence."

"Right" Zoë said nodding, then removing a slice from her apple and putting it in her mouth. They sat in silence for a few minutes before she decided to try a different tact. "So this has nothing to do with that wave you got from Bobby a couple of days ago?"

"He may have asked me to keep an eye on her, make sure she isn't sold or kidnapped or killed or anything."

"You're telling me Bobby put you in charge of the health and well being of that poor girl." She said almost laughing.

"So he mentioned where she'd be, and now she's staying with us, for a while at least." He continued on, purposefully ignoring her comment.

"Oh" She managed to get out well still trying to stifle her laughter, it didn't really work. In the midst of her outburst Mal decided to change the subject.

"So, did you guys find us a nice job, or are we selling Jayne"

"Yes, sir we did." Zoë answered, quickly sobering with the change of topic.

"Huh, I was kinda hoping we could sell Jayne" He muttered to himself, with a slightly disappointed look on his face.

Zoë began to giggle again, and tried to hide her renewed amusement.

"What exactly is so funny?" Mal asked a hint of indignation in his voice.

"You're like a daddy!" Zoë exclaimed, finally breaking down and outright laughing.

 

tbc...

 

Please give feedback, characterization, plot, dialogue, anything! What can I say I'm needy.