Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
309
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
2,149

Grains of Sand

Summary:

Disclaimer: I don’t own Wally or Bruce. I think that’s a good thing.
Pairing: Implied Batman/Flash
Summary: Flash is the fastest man alive.
I was going to write one of the fics for Things That Never happened to Bruce, but the moment I decided on Wally, it… turned into this. Animatedly speaking, this is based on the Only a Dream episode, where Wally gets stuck into a frozen world that moves too slow for him. Batman/Flash wasn’t mean to get Wally all dark, but Bruce to lighten up! I don’t know what happened.
Rating: PG? Maybe?
Author nothes: Thanks to sasha_anu for the beta!

Work Text:

Grains of Sand
by Schatten

If you were fast enough, you could accomplish anything. Everything you might want is a matter of working towards it and having enough time in your lifespan to accomplish it.

When you are the fastest man alive, it means you have all the time you need, and more. And if you don't need more time, there is still more available. If you had been procrastinating instead of working to get what you wanted, and then finally decided to get it done, you would still have time. It probably wasn't even before noon yet.

Wally's thoughts reeled almost as fast as his body, no matter how much joy he found in life and how curious about everything he might be, he knew that he would get bored one day. It would be an impossible state to overcome; apathy briefly broken by short spells of amusement.
He would be like one of those immortal kings with dour faces, sitting on his throne just watching eternity pass him by.

He was a hero now, and he loved every second of it. The rest of his life he liked well enough, for now. He was just 24, but when every second stretched so far, 24 years was a lot. The prospect of a human lifetime stretching ahead of him was not dissimilar to eternity.

He had all the time in the world, for better or for worse.

He liked mechanics. Soon, he would know all there was to know about them. He was a great mechanic now and he would eventually be the best. It was only a matter of time. Eventually, it would become a tiresome task, and he would start on something else. It could be months; it could be years from now.

It could very well be tomorrow.