Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
6,911
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
884

Tears Of Rage

Summary:

Rated: PG violence
Pairings (keep forgetting this) Fraser/Kowalski
Spoilers: minors for various eps
Teaser: When Fraser is killed while saving Kowaski's life, the detective struggles to cope with the Mountie's death
Archive:yes
This was inspired by an episode of Adam12, Elegy for a Pig, in which one of the main characters witnesses the death of a cop he's known since before they were in the academy. I twisted it a little and turned into a DS story. I'm saying 10 now but I may need an extra chapter to play with, just a warning.
Disclaimer: The characters belong to Alliance. I just take them out, play with them for a while and then return them to the shelf unharmed.
Note: Yahell may send these through out of order, as it likes to do with mutiple posts. Just follow the ch. numbers with the posts

Work Text:

Tears Of Rage
By Sgt Buck Frobisher

"Drop it!" Ray Kowalski ordered, pointing his gun at the suspect emerging from the robbery scene. Seeking to avoid being caught, he ran, firing a couple of shots over his shoulder. Ray called for backup and he and Ben gave chase.

They had been back in Chicago for only about a week, and it felt good to be back in action. The suspect they were chasing was Richard Bower, who was wanted in connection with a string of robberies. Ray and Fraser had arrested him once before, several years ago, only to have him let go due to lack of evidence. Now, all the evidence was there, but the Chicago PD had been unable to catch him again.

Bower fled down a side street and the cop and Mountie followed. Bower turned into an alley. The two men gave chase. They rounded the corner and saw...no one. Ray hurried to reload, his gaze flicking between his gun and the alley, as he and Fraser scanned the trash cans and piles of boxes for any sign of movement.

"Look out!" Fraser shouted, just as two shots rang out in quick succession.

"Fraser, what the hell are you trying to?" He stopped in mid-sentence as he realized that the Mountie had been shot.

He shoved the chamber of his gun shut, even though he hadn't fully reloaded it, and fired. One of the shots hit its mark, knocking the gun from Bower's hand. The suspect fled, but Ray couldn't follow. He turned back to the fallen Mountie.

Fraser was alive, but barely. Ray unfastened the buttons of the scarlet tunic. The once white shirt underneath now bore a large splotch of crimson. He pulled the shirt to see a bullet wound near the center of the Mountie's chest. Ray pulled off his own shirt and pressed it over the wound, applying pressure to try and stop the bleeding.

Behind him, the Riv pulled up to the entrance of the alley and Ray Vecchio got out. He'd heard Ray's call on the radio and responded as quickly as he could.

"What happened?"

Ray looked over his shoulder and noticed Vecchio

"Get on the line and get an ambulance now!" he answered.

He lifted the Mountie's head with his free hand. Fraser's gaze was fixed on him, but he didn't speak. His breath came in ragged gasps.

"They're on their way," Vecchio said. "How is he?"

"Pretty bad", Ray answered. "It should have been me that got hit," Ray said. "I was reloading and the guy fired at me. Fraser got me out of the way, but got hit himself. "

Fraser gave a moan...it sounded vaguely to Ray like, "Mum...mum..." and gasped hard, his head and chest raising up a bit. As he sank back down, there was no rising of the chest, no more breaths, only the hiss of escaping air.

"Damn it!" Ray shouted. He lay the Mountie's head down and started CPR.

Vecchio turned to the uniform officers on the scene. "Start looking. Check every street, every building in this area. Look anywhere he could've hidden. And someone get on the horn and get Huey and Dewey down here, now! "

"One and two and three and four," Ray counted as he pumped Fraser's chest. He then lifted the Mountie's chin and blew a breath of air into his mouth. The chest rose, then fell. He started compressing again. He could hear the screech of the ambulance siren coming down the street. Shortly after, it arrived at the end of the alleyway, and the paramedics rushed to Fraser's side. Ray stepped back as they started revival efforts.

One paramedic put an air mask on Fraser's face and pumped the balloon-like bag at the end, forcing air into the Mountie's lungs. The defibrillator was brought out. "Clear!" someone shouted and everyone stepped back. The shock jolted Fraser's body, but failed to restart his heart. The bag on the mask was pumped a few more times and another jolt was given. The process was repeated three, four, five times, but each attempt failed.

As Ray watched the paramedics continue their efforts, he realized how impossible Fraser's dying seemed. Everything had been going so well lately. Ray didn't deny he'd thought Fraser was strange at first. It hadn't exactly been easy learning to live with a real life Dudley Do-Right who wouldn't swear, gamble or even carry a gun. And then there was the tasting things and the red suit and the constant politeness. But, once Ray got past all the oddities and quirks, he'd learned to like Fraser. A bond of sorts had been formed during all those months searching for the Hand of Franklin with only each other for companions.

Ray's thoughts were interrupted as Vecchio nudged him to get him to pay attention to the paramedic who was trying to talk to them.

"We've been unable to restart his heart," the paramedic said to the detectives. "We've defibrillated six times. And we were told he hasn't been breathing for several minutes now, so, even though we've been forcing air into his lungs, the amount of oxygen he was getting wouldn't have been enough to keep body tissues from beginning to die. I'm sorry. "

"I understand", Ray answered.

Just as Ray finished talking to the paramedic, Huey and Dewey arrived on the scene. "What've we got?" Huey asked. Ray stepped aside, and Huey saw the body.

"Dead?" he asked.

Ray nodded. "You remember the Bower case? Fraser and I got a call of an armed robbery and we thought we had him this time. It was me he was shooting at, but Fraser shoved me out of the way."

"I can't believe he's dead again," Dewey said. "This'll be the first time I ever went to someone's funeral twice."

Ray shot Dewey an angry glare. "Bastard," he muttered softly.

Dewey gave a sort of gasp, and Ray thought he might yell or something, but Huey stopped him. " Keep quiet," he said to his partner. "He's already angry and your comments aren't helping"

"I can't believe it's real this time around," Ray answered. "And not some kind of trance thing like the last time. Will you two see what you can come up with here? Vecchio and I want to join the search."

"We'll handle it," Huey answered.

The two Rays walked back to their cars. Vecchio had pulled up just outside of the alley, but Ray K's was down by the side street where the chase had begun. When Ray rounded the corner from the alley to the first street, he saw Diefenbaker trotting toward him. "Come on," he said absentmindedly, forgetting that the wolf was deaf. "You're coming with me. Oh geez, now I'm having a conversation with the wolf again." Dief followed slowly and Ray walked back to where he'd parked the car. But when he came to where the GTO had been, it was gone.

"Damn!" he sputtered as he looked for the Riv to come around the corner. He motioned Vecchio to stop and walked over to the car. "Can I ride with you?" he asked.

"Stolen?" Vecchio asked.

"Yes, and I know damn well who it was."

Vecchio opened the passenger side door and Ray allowed Dief to climb in back, then slid into the front seat."Go ahead and radio it in," Vecchio said, nodding toward the radio. "I'll keep looking."

Ray called in a description of the stolen car, along with his license plate numbers.

"You know he's not going to keep it long" Vecchio said.

"A car like that?" Ray answered. "No. I think he just wanted a quick way out of there. It'd be too conspicuous to drive around for long. I mean, how many cars like that do you think there are in this city? I figure he'll probably try to get money off of it and?look, there!"

His thought was interrupted as the GTO pulled around the corner and was now in front of the Riv. Vecchio pulled up a bit closer before anyone could get between the two cars, and Ray glanced at the plate. "That's it," he said.

Vecchio radioed that they were in pursuit of the stolen car, quickly set the Riv's portable flasher on the roof, and gave chase.

Several patrol units radioed back in response to Vecchio's call, saying that they were in the area and could help with the chase. The units caught up to the GTO and began to box it in, positioning themselves in front of and alongside it, with several more joining behind the Riv. Ray winced a bit as he saw Bower begin to ram the squad cars, denting and damaging the GTO's front end.

One of the units bumped the right side of the GTO and Bower lost control, barely missing a telephone pole before skidding into a parked car. He attempted to flee, but the uniformed officers quickly surrounded him and took him into custody. The two Rays got out, walked as far into the throng of officers as they could, and watched as he was handcuffed and led to one of the cars.

Just as he was being placed into the car, he turned to look at Ray. "If you think you've heard the last of me, you're wrong, Vecchio!"

Vecchio gave Ray a confused look. "What the hell was that about?"

"I arrested him before--back when you were in Vegas," Ray answered. " He thinks I'm you."

Ray walked over to his now sad looking GTO. As he surveyed the damage, he realized why Vecchio had gotten so upset the several times his own car had been destroyed. As he glanced into the window, something caught his eye. Lying on the passenger seat, where it had fallen during the crash was Fraser's Stetson, which the Mountie had failed to put on before he and Ray began the chase that ultimately ended Fraser's life. It seemed to Ray that every time Fraser parted with that hat, something happened, and the trend seemed to have continued that day.

Ray tried to open the GTO's passenger door but it was jammed because of damage sustained during the crash. He opened the undamaged back door, reached around into the front seat and picked up the hat. Vecchio walked up behind him just as he closed the door.

"I don't know what it is about this thing," Ray said, examining the hat. "Every time Fraser lost it, something happened."

"I know," Vecchio answered. "I can remember him being stabbed once when he wasn't wearing it?. And then I shot him accidentally when he was going to go with Victoria. And

After Ray had shown one of the officers the necessary papers and information on the GTO, they walked back to the Riv. Vecchio got on the radio and informed Huey, Dewey and the rest of the searching units that the suspect was in custody.

Ray noticed that Dief was becoming more and more agitated in the backseat. Thinking he probably wanted to relieve himself, or perhaps he was just getting tired of being in the car, got out and let Dief out, and stood outside to keep an eye on him. Dief began to sniff and follow a scent, leading right toward the car where Bower was being held.

The wolf stood by the car for a moment, then reared up and put his forelegs on the door. He sniffed for a moment, then began to snarl angrily.

Bower looked at the wolf warily, then yelled at Ray, "Get him away from me. . . . I'll sue if he bites me."

Ray realized what was going on and made his way over to the car as quickly as possible. He tried to restrain Dief, wrapping his arms around the wolf's belly and trying to pull him back. As he did, he caught a glimpse of Dief's eyes. Ray had never thought that dogs could feel anger or want to exact revenge, but there was clearly anger in the wolf's eyes. He wanted to avenge his friend's death.

Ray didn't blame him, as he wished he could do the same thing at the moment. Dief strained and struggled, and Ray's strength was not enough to hold him back. Vecchio came to help, but even the two of them had an exhausting struggle trying to keep the wolf under control.

Ray glanced at Bower. "He remembers what you did to Fraser"?I'll try my best to keep him away, but I wouldn't blame him if he did bite you."

Once Dief was finally back in the car, the two detectives drove back to the station, where there was still more to be done. Paperwork, and lots of it, had to be started. Later, there would be the shooting board that was necessary every time an officer fired his weapon outside the practice range. Luckily for Ray, this would not take place until the next day. And both Rays would have to be questioned and give statements the next morning also.

The detectives headed down toward the interrogation room, where Bower was going to be questioned. Welsh intercepted them in the hall.

" Will Vecchio and I be allowed to do the questioning?" Ray asked.

"No," Welsh answered. "For one, the normal protocol is for the arresting officers to do it, and two, you two are stressed enough over Fraser's death. Letting you question the guy that killed him will only make the both of you angrier, and cause someone to lose control and if that happens, someone will get hurt."

"But?" Ray started.

"You're to stay out of this, both of you, do you understand? This case is already getting some media attention, and the last thing I need is an excessive force case on my hands. When one of my officers gets into something like that, the whole Chicago PD feels the effects. Just let someone else handle it. Am I clear?"

"Yes," answered both detectives.

Ray struggled to concentrate on his reports, but it was a difficult task. Scenes of the past few hours' events kept replaying themselves in his mind. Francesca was sobbing and crying, just as Welsh indicated she'd been doing ever since she learned of Fraser's death. As Ray tried to tune it out, he became glad he wasn't in Vecchio's shoes and didn't have to listen to that all night. Adding even more distraction for Ray was that Dief kept trying to get to Bower in the holding cells and to Fraser's body downstairs in the morgue.

Ray shoved the paperwork into a file folder, took a long drink from the now warm can of pop on his desk, and silently waited for Vecchio to finish his work so they could finally go home for the night.

The ride home was very quiet. Ray could tell by looking at Vecchio's face that he wasn't the only one who felt as if he'd lost a brother. He knew that the other detective was just as upset and just as angry as he was at the moment.

Vecchio had been just as close to Fraser as he had been. He was the one who had befriended Fraser when the Mountie had first come to Chicago. Vecchio had also taken a bullet for Fraser, to prevent him from being shot by Muldoon. Ray had always wondered what he would have done under the same circumstances. He'd always said he'd never risk his neck for anyone, but as he and Fraser had grown closer, he'd begun to think that he would have risked his life for the Mountie if necessary

Ray shook his head."What a day."

"I know," Vecchio answered. "But this isn't the worst of it. You'll feel it worse tomorrow."

"Yeah," Ray answered. "It's like, we're in shock and it hasn't really hit yet." He paused a moment, then continued, "But, I guess if he had to go, at least it was in the line of duty. That's how he'd have wanted it I think."

"Still, it was senseless," Vecchio answered. "Young man, full of life, now he's gone. He never had the chance to grow old, have a family. I used to think that maybe he and the inspector had something going. He'd never have admitted it, but maybe. Now we'll never know."

"I wouldn't hesitate to say I loved him," Ray added.

Vecchio gave him a kind of `are you crazy `look.

"I don't mean I'm gay or anything?.You know, friendship love.

Vecchio nodded. "I'd have to agree with that. I don't know what it was that was there, really, but it was something, that's for sure."

They reached the apartment, and Ray got out. When he got inside, he took off his coat and set it and Fraser's Stetson down on the couch. Next, he took the precaution of moving the turtle to the bedroom to keep it away from Dief.

As he finished with the turtle, he happened to glance at the dreamcatcher, which was hanging in the bedroom window. He'd never thought there'd been anything to Fraser's mumbo-jumbo about it having magical powers, but it had helped him get over the ghosts of his teenage embarrassment in front of Stella.

He took the dreamcatcher from the window and walked back into the living room holding it. He sat down exhaustedly on the couch and Dief jumped up next to him. As the wolf lay down, Ray picked up Fraser's Stetson with one hand while still holding the dreamcatcher in the other.

Ray had never been one to cry very much. He had a brasher, tough guy image but, at the moment, he couldn't control his pent-up emotions any longer and he wasn't even sure he wanted to. He was finally alone and could finally begin to vent his feelings. Tears began to roll down his cheeks and he began to sob. A few moments later, his cry was joined by a low, sad-sounding howl and both man and wolf began to mourn their lost friend. As he continued crying, memories flooded back. The hectic first meeting when it had taken all day for Fraser to figure out who this new 'Vecchio' was. Fraser pretending he was dead. Fraser giving him asylum in the Canadian Consulate. Fraser blasting them out of that sinking ship after they almost drowned. It had been then that he felt he'd truly began to trust Fraser and that Fraser had begun to trust him.

His thoughts turned to all those months in the Arctic searching for the Hand of Franklin. Ray couldn't count how many times one of them had helped the other out of some bind out in the wilderness.

Slowly, Ray's exhausted body began to betray him. He didn't want to sleep, for fear he'd have nightmares. But his body needed sleep and he began to drift off. Before long, he was in a light, fitful sleep, still holding the dreamcatcher in his hands.

"Ray! Ray!" The voice was sudden and startled him. When he didn't answer, it continued. "Ray, Ray, Ray!"

Ray opened his eyes and blinked a few times. He could see a figure standing before him in the dimly lit room. He peered into the darkness and was barely able to make out what appeared to be Fraser.

"I'm seeing things," Ray said, unable to take his eyes off of the red serge clad figure, "Either that or it's a dream."

"B. . . but you're supposed to be dead," Ray stammered.

"I am."

"But, I thought ghosts were just fiction?you know, not real. I mean, what is this, `The Sixth Sense'? `I see dead people'?"

Fraser sat down on the couch between Ray and Dief. The wolf sniffed and whined a bit and Fraser reached out a hand to pat him. "More people see ghosts than you might think, Ray. For example, my father visited me all the time when I was alive. Remember when you would find me in the closet `talking to myself'?

"Yes, I thought you were just crazy."

"That's when I was talking to him."

Ray stood, a bit shakily, and walked into the kitchen. He went to the refrigerator and took out a beer. He wasn't the type to drink a lot but he thought it might calm his nerves. He then went back into the living room, sat on the couch and took a long swig. "So what's it like being dead? Can you just like come around whenever? Do you still have to eat and sleep and all that?"

" I don't really know, Ray. I've only been dead a few hours. Even my father doesn't know all the answers and he's been dead six years."

Fraser glanced at the couch and noticed his Stetson. "I was wondering where this went," he said, picking it up and placing it on his head. "It's really embarrassing to be in uniform without it. You know, they had to cut off the back of my father's Stetson so he'd lie flat in his coffin. They'll probably do it to me too. That's why it's good to have a spare."

"Well, is this a one time thing or will you, uh, visit, again? And, am I the only one that can see you? Or do you know that yet?"

"No, I'll come again. And as for who can see me, so far just you, Ray Vecchio and my sister. I just came from Ray's place."

"I'll bet he freaked out as much as I did."

"Surprisingly, no. He thought I was his father at first because apparently I'm not the only one whose father visits him. But then he realized it was me and did have a bit of a fright, but he calmed down fairly quickly."

Ray yawned and set the beer can down on the coffee table. He was trying to avoid falling asleep but he hadn't had much rest since the day before.

"I'll just be going now," Fraser said.

Ray saw that the Mountie was beginning to fade. "So, I'll be seeing you again? I hope."

"I'll be back," Fraser answered. "You didn't think someone like me could stay away and never come back did you?"

"No, not really," Ray answered.

As the Mountie disappeared, Ray took one last sip of the beer and set it and the dreamcatcher down on the table. He shooed Dief off the couch and lay down. Dief sniffed around for a few seconds, then lay down by the couch. Ray lay awake for quite a while, tossing and turning and wondering if what he'd seen was real or a dream

When he awoke the next morning, he was still trying to make sense of it all. He glanced at the table and then the couch and noticed that, although the dreamcatcher sat where he'd placed it earlier, the Stetson was nowhere to be found. He also noticed the almost empty beer can still on the table. As he went into the bedroom to change clothes and get ready for Fraser's funeral, which was to be held that day, he realized that the whole thing was, indeed, real.

Ray tugged uncomfortably at the collar of his dress uniform as checked his appearance in the Riv's side view mirror. "I could never wear this thing all the time," he muttered as smoothed the uniform and adjusted his hat. "We detectives never realize how good we have it until we have to put these on." He glanced at Vecchio. "You're awfully quiet. Are you holding up all right?"

"As good as can be expected," Vecchio answered.

"I just want to get this done and get out of there," Ray sighed. "Funerals give me the creeps."

"You think you've got it bad," said a voice from behind them. "It's nothing compared to watching your own funeral."

"Do you mind?" both men asked in unison.

"You mean you can??" Ray trailed off.

"Yes," Vecchio answered.

"Thank God, I thought I was losing it," Ray said, a bit of relief in his voice.

"I thought I was losing it," Vecchio said. "I mean, it's not every night you find a dead Mountie in your bedroom." (note: I got my rays mixed up here, hence the living room thing in the last draft. It should be ok now.

Ray turned back to Fraser. "You're actually going to your own funeral?"

"I don't see why not," Fraser answered. "I mean, who's going to see me besides you two and Dief?"

"Just keep quiet during it, all right?" Ray asked. "I don't want strange looks in my direction. If I start talking to myself, I'm liable to end up paying a visit to the force psychiatrist."

They reached St. Michael's and went inside. As Ray looked around, he noticed quite a few familiar faces and some unfamiliar ones as well. Welsh and Inspector Thatcher sat in the front row. Both were quiet and reserved. Constable Turnbull sat a few rows behind them, sobbing loudly just as he had the last time he thought Fraser was dead. Huey and Dewey sat in the same row as Turnbull, quiet, but occasionally talking to each other. Elaine was crying quietly and talking with some other uniformed officers whom Ray didn't recongize. Mort sat a little further toward the back. Frannie, Mrs. Vecchio, and the rest of the Vecchios were in the row just behind Turnbull and the Duck Boys. Frannie was sobbing, just like last time, and Ma was trying to comfort her.

Before sitting down, the Rays went up to see Fraser. Everything looked very much as it had that time before, but Fraser wasn't wearing that yellow belt this time. Ray noticed that what Fraser had said was true. The back of the Stetson had been cut off.

"I think they did a good job," Vecchio said. "He looks very natural."

"Yes, he does," Ray answered, trying his best not to get sick, as he usually did around dead bodies. "You know, this is strange, going to his funeral again."

"I heard about that case, but I'm glad I wasn't there. I understand what you mean though."

Yes, Ray thought, it was a strange déjà vu. It still seemed impossible that it was real this time. He half expected to see Fraser sit up in the coffin again. But, he knew it wasn't going to happen this time.

The service started, and before long, it was time for the eulogies. Lt. Welsh talked of how he considered Fraser one of his own men even though he wasn't a member of the Chicago PD. Inspector Thatcher described how, even though she always said she disliked Fraser, and always seem to be arguing with him, deep inside, she'd begun to like him. Some of Ray Vecchio's thoughts almost mirrored Ray's own. Vecchio spoke of his friendship with the Mountie and of how terrible he'd felt when he'd almost killed him on the platform at Union Station. He also spoke of the long stint away in Vegas and how much he'd missed the Mountie. He talked of his thoughts the day he'd come out from undercover and had opened the door of the apartment to find the Mountie, and had then had to fight his emotions at seeing his best friend again.

Soon, it was Ray's turn. He approached the lectern, tugging on his collar a time or two. It was a nervous habit he'd picked up from the Mountie.

"Constable Fraser was one of the best men the Chicago PD ever had. He wasn't an official member of the force, but he was just as much a part of the force as any officer here. When I first met him five years ago, I had no idea how close we would become. I wasn't even sure what to think of him at first, but as time passed, we became friends. I'll admit, I didn't quite trust him at first but we did learn to work together.

"Most police officers do become friends with their partners, it's one of those things that has to happen if they're to work together efficiently, but I can honestly say I don't think many of them become as close as Fraser and I did. He was willing to give his life to save mine, and I'll never forget that. I only regret that I didn't have the chance to thank him. I'm not even sure I would have known how to thank him." Ray looked up briefly to exchange a glance and a nod with Fraser who nodded back.

It is fitting, though, that he died doing the work he loved and that he had dedicated his life to. I think that all of us at the Chicago PD who knew him have been very saddened by his senseless death. He will be greatly missed by all that knew him. Thank you."

Ray walked back and sat down. His mind wandered on and off during the rest of the service, but he managed to pay attention most of the time.

"?Receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting piece, and the glorious company of the saints in light" Fr. Behan said, finishing the closing prayer as Ray's mind came back to the present. he congregation responded "Amen"

Ray, Welsh, Vecchio, Huey, Duey and Inspector Thatcher served as the pallbearers and moved the coffin from the church to the hearse after the service was over. The body would now be taken back to the Northwest Territories and Fraser would be buried next to his parents.

As they finished, Welsh's cell phone rang.

Ray started back toward the Riv, along with Vecchio and Dief, but Welsh stopped them.

"We've got problems. Bower's out. He overpowered the officer who was taking him to lockup at Cook County and got away."

Ray's mind traveled back to Bower's words "If you think you've heard the last of me you're wrong, Vecchio!"

Vecchio answered for both of them. "Ok?We'll get on it. Can the officer who was transporting him give any information?"

"He's dead. But, there were a couple of witnesses that are being interviewed right now so you can get some specifics when you get to the station."

Ray turned back toward the coffin, which was still visible in the open door of the hearse. "I'll get him, buddy, I'll get him for you."

(7)

"Have you finished interviewing those witnesses?" Ray asked.

"Yeah." Vecchio answered.

"All of them?"

"Yes, all of them! But I got nothing we didn't already know."

"Nobody saw anything? Nobody even heard anything?"

"Didn't I just say that?" Vecchio asked angrily. "You don't listen to me. Why don't you listen to me? Sometimes you're as bad as the Mountie!" He shook his head. "What about your end of it? Have you had any success interviewing the businesses and homeowners?"

"I haven't done any better than you have."

Before either one could say anything else, they were interrupted by Welsh. "I'd like to see both of you for a moment," he said, motioning to both Ray and Vecchio.

Both Rays complied and came in the office, still exchanging angry glares at each other. Ray knew that Welsh must have heard the argument and that both of them were probably going to be yelled at. He didn't make eye contact with Welsh for a long moment, and neither did Vecchio.

"What is it?" Ray asked.

"I know this case has a lot of personal meaning for both of you, but I don't like the way you're both exhausting yourselves day after day. I appreciate your willingness to keep searching, but don't overdo it. Got that?"

"Yes. I'm only pushing myself so hard because I made a promise to myself and Fraser that I'd bring this guy in and I'm gonna do it. If I don't, he may also try to kill me."

"Or me." Vecchio spoke up. "He said `Vecchio?' I don't really know who he's after, so we may both be in danger. I just want him off the streets."

"I can place some protection on you?" Welsh began.

"No, that's all right, thank you." Kowalski answered. Vecchio nodded at the same time.

"You're sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure," Both men answered at once.

"You two are acting as partners on this case, I'm sure I don't need to remind you of that. I don't need you arguing."

"I understand," Ray said, but inwardly he felt differently. He didn't want another partner. He still considered Fraser his partner, but he knew if he brought it up Welsh wouldn't buy it.

"Dismissed, gentlemen. Just don't forget what I said. Don't push yourselves beyond your limits. We will get him. I want both of you to knock off for the day."

"Understood." Ray answered.

Vecchio and Ray did a little more searching and then drove toward Ray's apartment. Ray noticed that Dief was acting a bit nervous, but didn't think much of it. The wolf glanced nervously about and kept looking out the back window.

Upon arriving at the Ray stepped out of the Riv and pushed the front seat forward, allowing Dief to jump out. He walked into his apartment building and up the stairs to the apartment as Vecchio drove away.

As he opened the apartment door, something pushed against him, shoving him inside. He looked over his shoulder to see what was going on. He immediately recognized his assailant.

"You." Ray growled

"I told you I wasn't through yet --."

Before Bower could say anything else, Dief lunged, snarling. The impact knocked Bower off his feet, and as he fell toward the ground, he squeezed the trigger.

Ray was forced to his knees, then to the ground as a sharp pain ripped through his stomach and chest. The bullet had slammed into the left side of his upper abdomen. He tried to breathe, but each breath was a painful struggle. He gasped for air that just didn't seem to want to come. He reached for his cell phone and dialed the police department.

"Detective Kowalski. . ." he rasped. ". . .Shots fired. . .officer down." He glanced at the now motionless Bower and the wolf on top of him. "Suspect status unknown," he added, then struggled to relay his address, He couldn't speak anymore. It was just too painful. He knew they had the necessary information to be able to find him.

There was a second of silence, then the voice of Lt. Welsh. "They're on their way, Detective. Try to stay on the line. Don't hang up if you can help it."

"Can't breathe. . ." Ray managed.

He fought the unconsciousness for as long as he could, but there came a point where he simply couldn't any longer. Everything around him was disintegrating into a confusing mass of dim sights, indistinguishable sounds and the unrelenting pain that was now so intense that he wanted to pass out. After a second more, the darkness surrounded him and he slipped into the relief of unconsciousness.

 

(8)

Ray was surprised to find himself falling, surrounded by seeming nothingness. After a moment, he landed with a thump on what seemed to be a hard surface. At first he was a bit dazed, but it didn't take long for him to realize it was pavement he was lying on. As he stood up, shapes started to emerge from the darkness. Buildings. A cityscape. It looked like Chicago, but somehow at the same time it didn't. Strangely, there were no other people or even any cars in sight . There was snow on the ground and on the buildings, mailboxes and fire hydrants, but despite the apparent wintery setting, however, Ray felt no cold. All around him was silence and emptiness.
There were lit streetlamps on some of the corners but it still seemed quite dark.

Ray looked down and realized that where there should have been a bloody wound, there was only healthy skin. And he didn't feel any pain anymore. He looked at the unfamiliar area around him and was about to start running when he heard a voice.

"Ray!"

He looked around.

"Ray, behind you."

Ray turned around to see Fraser, dressed, as before, in his red serge uniform.

"What's going on?" Ray asked. "Where am I?"

" The borderlands, Ray."

Ray gave Fraser a confused expression. "I'm dead, aren't I?"

"No, not technically. You're in a kind of in between life and death." The Mountie looked around. "Though I belive it's changed quite a bit since I was here. Last time I saw a vast forest, with trees all around. I guess each of us sees what he or she wants to see."

"I don't have to stay here, do I?" Ray asked.

"That's your decision, Ray. No one can make it for you."

"If it's a choice thing, then why did you stay?"

"Well, most of the time it's a choice. In my case, my earthly body was too badly damaged to continue supporting me. I didn't really have a choice."

Ray pondered this for a moment. Fraser started to walk, and Ray followed him curiously. "Actually, y'know, I'm not sure if I do want to go back. I mean, this recovery thing, it's gonna hurt a lot, isn't it?"

"Well, it does at times." Fraser answered. " It is a long and difficult thing, and painful at times, but I would have to say it's worth it."

"And I'm worried about Bower. I've got a feeling that when he finds out I'm alive he'll try to kill me again."

"Like I told you, Ray, it's entirely up to you whether you go back or not."

Ray was silent as they continued to walk, as if pondering what had been said.

"Where are we going anyway?" he asked after a while.

"You'll see," Fraser answered.

"Fraser, I don't like surprises, especially at a time like this."

Ray's question was soon answered, as they came to an apartment building. Something about it looked familiar to Ray, but he couldn't quite place it. Fraser opened the door and they climbed the stairs. They stepped out into a hallway, and stopped in front of an apartment. Something about the hallway and the apartment itself reminded Ray of his apartment, but at the same time there was a feeling of unfamiliarity about it.

"What's this?" Ray asked.

"The threshold to the next world," Fraser answered. "If you cross it, there's no turning back."

Ray stepped back from the door. "I don't think I'm going to do it. I know I'll have a lot to face down there, but I'm not ready to stay here. At least not yet. I mean, I did make you a promise. I gotta catch this guy before he kills Vecchio or anyone else. "

"It would seem that you have some unfulfilled obligations" Fraser said thoughtfully. "But again, it's your choice. "

"Yeah, it would." Ray answered.

Ray studied the Mountie for a long moment. "Will I see you again? I mean, before I die."

"I don't know, Ray, maybe. I don't know very much more about this than you do."

"I guess this is goodbye?I hope not permanently, though."

Fraser extended a hand, and Ray shook it. Before he could say or do anything, however, everything seemed to slowly begin to disintegrate. A few seconds later, darkness once more surrounded Ray. He felt as if he were falling but saw nothing below him.

Suddenly, a bright light seemed to come from below him. He screamed as it enveloped him and after a second, felt what seemed to be the thump of landing. Almost immediately, he once again felt pain, and his mind was flooded with a mass of confusing sensations.

 

END PART 8