Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,233
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
872

I'll Be There

Summary:

Rating: FRT
Genre: General
Fandom: The Sentinel
Characters: Jim Ellison, Blair Sandburg
Permission to archive: Yes
Summary: Jim and Blair attend a July 4th picnic.
Warnings: Blair owies and Jim comfort
Comments: This was written for The Sentinel 100 fan fiction
challenge on LJ and I thought I would share with the list. Hope you enjoy it. Feedback on or off list.
Submitted through the BlairOooowies_GenFic mailing list.

Work Text:

I'll Be There
by Debbie

Jim finished the potato salad for the Fourth of July picnic. Blair was supposed to make the potato salad, but he was currently sleeping in his room. Jim tried to reason with him that the others in Major Crime would understand if the team of Ellison and Sandburg didn't show up for the picnic. But Blair had been adamant about them being there.

"You're helping with the burgers and hot dogs and I'm bringing the potato salad." Blair had used his best puppy-dog eye look, which Jim always fell for.

"You are getting around on crutches, Chief. How are you going to manage making potato salad?"

"Well, you could help..." There was another pleading look in Jim's direction.

Jim sighed. "Blair, believe me, everyone will understand."

"But I want to see everyone, Jim. I've been cooped up here in the loft for over a week."

Jim finally gave in. He knew how much Blair enjoyed the annual Fourth of July picnic arranged for the families in Major Crime. Jim even consented to making the potato salad as long as Blair rested before they left to go. Blair consented to Jim's suggestion.

Jim walked over to the doors leading to Blair's bedroom. He opened one door, walking inside, standing there watching as Blair slept. The crutches were leaning against the desk. The details of Blair's recent accident replayed in Jim's mind.

 

TWO WEEKS EARLIER

Blair had been on his way to the station when another car that ran a red light broadsided him. Blair was trapped in his car, upside down, while the other driver didn't even receive a scratch. Police and rescue personal showed up almost immediately. But it took several hours to get Blair out of his car. Jim had arrived shortly after hearing about the accident. He was able to talk to Blair before he was rescued.

"Are you okay, Chief?"

"Jim, I'm trapped upside down in my car. Okay isn't exactly the word I would use. Can you tell those guys to hurry up and get me out of here? By the way, is my car a complete wreck?"

"Well, let's just say it's going to take a lot to repair. They're motioning me away from the area, Chief. I'll be waiting by the ambulance."

"Thanks for coming, Jim."

"Well, Simon said it was better with me being here than pacing in the bullpen." Jim laughed at the statement.

"That's why Simon's the captain." Blair tried to smile through the pain.

"Do as the firemen tell you."

Jim stayed until Blair was pulled out of his car. The paramedics were right there. And so was Jim. Blair drifted in and out of consciousness."

"You'll be fine, Chief." Jim tried to keep the worry out of his voice.

Jim followed the ambulance to the hospital, updating the rest of Major Crime by cell phone. He assured Simon that Blair would be okay. Blair was lucky that he hadn't been more seriously injured.

Hours later, the doctor ran down the list of injuries -- a multi-break in his left leg that needed pins inserted, a slight bump on the head and various cuts and bruises. Jim was relieved it wasn't more serious. Jim sat by Blair's bedside, being there when Blair came to after surgery.

 

PRESENT TIME

Blair woke up, seeing Jim standing by his bed. He sat up slowly, Jim helping him.

Blair frowned. "Is something wrong, Jim? Is it time to go?" Blair started to reach for his crutches.

Jim stopped the movement. "No. It's not time to go yet. I just..." Jim couldn't come up with the words.

Blair patted Jim on the arm. "It's okay, Jim. I understand. Sorry I couldn't help with the potato salad."

"How can you understand when I don't even understand?"

"I can see it in your eyes. So readable and predictable."

"Hey, at least I got your secret recipe for the potato salad."

"Just remember, man, it's a family recipe. No giving it out to anyone else."

"You mean we're not all one big happy family in Major Crime?" Jim couldn't help but smile at Blair's protectiveness of his *secret* recipe.

"Sure we are. But that doesn't mean we share *our* family secrets. You and I."

"Okay, Chief. I understand."

Jim helped Blair to his feet, handing him the crutches.

"You can still back out if you want to."

Blair followed Jim out of the bedroom. "Now, how would it look if you and I didn't show up? I don't want to miss the fireworks."

Jim groaned. "Don't remind me, Chief."

"I'll be there with you, Jim." Blair eased himself to sit down in a chair.

Jim sat down opposite Blair. "I know you'll be there."

They left for the picnic about an hour later. Jim helped Blair into the truck, placing the crutches in the back of the truck. When they reached the park, Jim turned to Blair. "Stay put until I can help you out of the truck."

"You don't have to worry, Jim. This time I'll stay in the truck."

"Funny, Chief." Jim got out of the truck and came around to the passenger side, grabbing the crutches as he did. He helped Blair out of the truck, handing him the crutches and making sure Blair was balanced before releasing the younger man. Jim looked over at the assembled group. "Well, everyone knows we've arrived. I'll get the cooler and you can get started over to the group."

Blair started off, heading towards the group already there. Jim caught up with him after a short time. They greeted everyone and most of the kids came up to Blair asking him how he hurt himself. Blair was patient with every inquiry, telling the story repeatedly. Finally, Jim got Blair to sit down at one of the picnic tables. Blair still was telling his story, even after they started eating.

~~**~~

Moments before the fireworks started, Blair touched Jim gently on the arm.

"Make sure it's all dialed down, Jim. I'm right here with you."

Jim nodded, pleased that Blair kept him grounded with his hand now on his back. Jim was able to enjoy the fireworks display. About halfway through, there was an added weight against Jim's left side. Jim turned his head and had to smile. Blair was fast asleep, leaning against Jim. Jim let him sleep and enjoyed the rest of the fireworks. Blair had pushed aside his own pain and discomfort so the two of them could enjoy this evening with friends.

When the pyrotechnic display ended, Blair woke up. By this time, Jim had his arm around Blair's shoulders.

He leaned over to whisper in Blair's ear. "Waking up, Sleeping Beauty?"

Blair sat up, pulling slightly away from Jim. He saw people leaving. "Did I miss the show?"

"Most of it, Chief. Are you awake enough to walk to the truck?"

"I think so." Blair yawned, obviously still sleepy.

"I'll be right by your side, just like you're always by mine."

THE END