Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
4,344
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
16
Hits:
1,389

FIRST LOVES

Summary:

Starbuck's first true love is back with a little surprise.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Copyright 1998 - 2006 by Rebecca Lee
This story is written for pure pleasure and is not intended to infringe on any preexisting copyrights that may be violated. Feel free to share with your friends, but not for profit.
Your opinions and reviews are highly appreciated.

FIRST LOVES
by
Rebecca Lee

It had been a quiet night aboard the Galactica, not once had the claxon sounded and the morning was looking positive.

*Maybe life is finally getting back to a little normality, who am I kidding* Athena thought as she set the table for their morning primaries.

"Boxey, where do you think you're going?" Athena asked as the small boy rushed from his room and headed for the door.

"School." Boxey replied and continued toward the door.

"You never get all dressed up, when I'm teaching?" Athena said, pretending to be hurt as she noticed his well-groomed appearance.

"Yeah . . . Well . . . I'm gonna be late." Boxey said as he froze dead in his tracks as Apollo walked in.

"School doesn't start for another centar, and you haven't had your primaries." Athena replied.

"That's ok. I'm not hungry. Bye, Dad." Boxey exclaimed and ran out the door.

"That boy." Athena mumbled as she shook her head at Apollo.

"He'll grow out of it, Sis." Apollo laughed as he walked over and took his place at the table.

"I think that's the problem." Athena replied as Adama joined them.

"What problem?" Adama asked as he set down at the head of the table.

"Boxey has a crush." Athena said, matter-of-factly.

"She's been sniffing plant vapors?" Apollo laughed, nudging his father's shoulder.

"Ha-ha." Athena mocked him, playfully and went to get the primaries.

"You know, Athena may just be right . . . If my memory serves me correct, you weren't much older then Boxey when you got your first crush." Adama said as Athena returned with the

primaries.

"He's only seven yahrens." Apollo said as Athena set their plates before them.

"Seven yahrens is old enough . . . Or didn't you notice Boxey's debonaire appearance this morning?" Athena asked as she set down across from him. "Little boys don't get all dressed up for nothing, Apollo."

"All right . . . So, what do I do?" Apollo replied, solemnly as reality dawned on him.

"You let nature run its course . . . It took about two sectars with you." Adama laughed.

"Great . . . I'm not hungry, any more." Apollo sighed and looked at his primaries.

Athena burst out laughing as she imagined Boxey's and Apollo's, first man to man talk.

. . .

The Galactica's shuttle bay was quite and seemed to be thoroughly deserted as Boxey walked in.

"Frack!" He heard Starbuck curse from a nearby launch tube and a moment later. He saw Starbuck chase Cassiopeia from the tube. "Cass, I'm sorry . . . I just can't!"

"Fine . . . Then, take Athena." Cassiopeia shouted as Starbuck grabbed her arm and pulled her around to face him.

"I'm not going period, not even with Athena." Starbuck replied, frustratedly.

"Then, why won't you take me? ... I hear it's going to be a great concert, it's the first time Starfire been back together since fall of the colonies. Apollo's taking Sheba, we could go with them and then find a quiet place afterwards." Cassiopeia said, softly as she turned on all her charms, she reached around his neck and running her fingers through his hair, she stretched up and gently blew in his ear.

Suddenly Starbuck's hand went about the small of Cassiopeia's back, he kissed her hard on the lips and then let her go.

"I'm not going." Starbuck said, casually.

"Rogue." Cassiopeia replied and slapping his face, she walked off as Starbuck laughed.

"Hey, Starbuck, what's a Rogue?" Boxey asked as he walked over to him.

"How long have you been here?" Starbuck replied.

"Long enough to know that Cassie's mad at you."

"She isn't really mad, kid."

"She sure looked mad."

"Women just do that, see it goes like this. Cassie thinks that by pretending to be mad that I'll chase after her, we'll make up and I'll give in. It's a game . . . but it's not going to happen . . . not this time." Starbuck explained and quickly headed for a nearby shuttle.

"Don't you like making up?" Boxey asked as he followed Starbuck.

"Of course, I do . . . Hold it, you're to little to know about making up." Starbuck said as he quickly turned around and gave Boxey a stern look that his adopted father use to give him, when ever said or did anything shocking.

"Well, the . . . the . . . the older boys say that

necking's the best part of a fight." Boxey stuttered as he nervously jigged about.

Starbuck instantly burst out laughing at the sight and instantly understood why his adopted father always enjoyed such situations.

"What's so funny, Gentleman?" Sheba asked as she walked in.

"I was just thinking about the good old days." Starbuck said, quickly not wanting to embarrass Boxey.

"Well, you had better start thinking about the here and now, and apologize to Cassiopeia, posthaste . . . Before she gets another date." Sheba replied.

"We aren't sealed. She can go with whoever she wants. I got pre-flight checks to do." Starbuck said as he walked into the shuttle.

"Starbuck!" Sheba exclaimed and went after him with Boxey close on her heels.

"End of discussion." Starbuck replied, firmly as he set down in the pilot's seat and begin the checks.

"Fine, then . . . but you're going to loose her." Sheba said.

"Well, she won't be the first." Starbuck replied, casually.

"How can you be cold?" Sheba asked.

*I have to be . . . I won't be hurt, again* Starbuck thought and quickly turned his full attention to the pre-flight checks.

Sheba turned and throwing up her arms, she stormed out of the shuttle passing Boomer as he came in.

"I hope it's something I didn't do." Boomer said as he joined Starbuck and Boxey. "Boxey, shouldn't you be in school?" he added after checking the timepiece on his wrist.

"Nope, I'm meeting the princess when her shuttle docks." Boxey replied.

"I've heard a lot of excuses and I've even made a couple, but that has to be worst one ever . . . There's no way Apollo's going to buy it." Boomer said with a chuckle.

"It's not an excuse . . . My new teacher is a direct descendant of the eighth Lord of Kobol and that makes her a Princess." Boxey replied.

"Isis." Starbuck mumbled, thoughtfully as his thoughts turned from the pre-flight checks to a rainy, Caprican afternoon and two young lovers being forced to say their final goodbyes.

. . .

PART II

"Starbuck, I'll always love you." A pretty youth with a tear streaked face and long, auburn hair whispered in her boyfriend's ear as she hugged him.

*And I'll always love you, but if I tell you that . . . You'll never leave me and your Father's right, you deserve better* Starbuck thought, breathing in her heavenly perfume as he hugged her tighter. "I shouldn't have taken you to that Starfire concert." A young, Colonial Cadet replied as he fought back the tears that were welling up inside him.

"Isis, it's time." An elderly man called from a nearby hover mobile.

"You mean. We shouldn't have got caught." Isis said,

ignoring the man.

"You had better go, before your old man decides to use his influences to see us in exile . . . and with our luck, we'd be at opposite ends of the galaxy." Starbuck whispered as he forced himself to let her go and smile.

"I won't say goodbye. Instead I'll think of you. Every time I look at the stars . . . My brave Colonial Warrior." Isis replied and kissing him passionately, she run to the hover mobile.

"Goodbye, my Lady . . . My love." Starbuck uttered a sigh and collapsing to the cold, wet ground as the hover mobile disappeared from site. "Never again . . . Do you hear me, Sagan? You'll never make me love again! I won't be hurt, again!" he shouted as his heart crumbled and his tears flowed free.

. . .

"How did you know her name?" Boxey asked, bringing Starbuck out of his memory.

"I don't." Starbuck replied curtly and Boxey lowered his head remorsefully. "Hey, I'm sorry . . . I'm just having a really bad day and well, you got in the line of fire. Forgive me?"

"Always." Boxey said with a smile.

"Good." Starbuck replied as he rubbed Boxey's head. "Now, off with you . . . Princesses and Teachers alike, don't like to be kept waiting."

Boxey instantly headed for the shuttle door, but quickly turned back. "Hey, Starbuck, can we play chase away after

school?" he asked.

"Barring no Cylon attacks." Starbuck replied.

"Great, I'll tell the others." Boxey shouted, gleefully and rushed off.

"My friend, you may have just bitten off more then you can chew." Boomer said with a broad smile.

"Sagan, I hope she's happy." Starbuck mumbled, sincerely as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

"Who?" Boomer asked.

"Nobody." Starbuck replied, easily dismissing Boomer's question as he wiped the tear from his face. *How can this be? I don't even love her, any more . . . Do I? No, I love

Cassie . . . I love Cassie . . . Don't I*

. . .

The Galactica's landing bay was quite, like a tomb as Isis drove her hover chair off the shuttle Delphi.

*Just the way I like it . . . no muss, no fuss . . . And for Sagan's sake no delegation's* Isis thought and suddenly her eyes fell on a small boy. "Troy, what brings you here?" she asked with a brilliant smile as she drove over to him.

"I come to walk you to class . . . So if you need some help." Boxey replied with a sheepish grin.

"Coming to the aid of a lady . . . The actions of a great warrior." Isis said, causing Boxey to beam with delight.

"My Grandfather says that'll be when I get a lot older, but one day . . . I'll kill lots of Cylons and protect the fleet, just like my Dad and Starbuck." Boxey replied.

"Starbuck?" Isis mumbled. *Is it possible, can it be my Starbuck . . . Did he become the Warrior, I expected and survive the Cylon Raid*

"Yeah, next to my Dad . . . He's the best Warrior there is . . . He's right over there, if you wanna meet him?" Boxey replied.

"No . . . Perhaps . . . After school. It wouldn't look good for the Teacher to be tardy, would it?" Isis said. *Besides, I can't just walk up to him and pretend the last eight yahrens never happened. So, much has happened*

"Mom, wait up!" A small, boy with ash-blonde hair shouted as he ran off the Delphi, fastening a long blue mantle about his shoulders.

"Troy, this is my son Dillon. Dillon, this is Troy . . . Troy's father is a Colonial Warrior." Isis introduced him as he ran up beside her and grabbed her hand. *Sagan, I have so much to thank Starbuck for*

"Wow! Can I meet him?" Dillon asked, enthusiastically.

"Sure." Boxey replied and the two boys started to run off.

"After class." Isis called with a burst of laughter as she went after them.

. . .

PART III

Later that afternoon.

Cassiopeia walked into the officer's lounge to find Starbuck smoking a fumarello and playing a hand of pyramid with Bojay, Jolly and couple of other warriors that she didn't recognize. While Apollo, Sheba, Boomer, Jen and a couple Blackshirts

watched.

Suddenly one of the Blackshirts let out a whistle.

"Starbuck, I think you've just been added to the endangered species list." Jolly said with a huge grin as he and the others looked up to see Cassiopeia.

Starbuck however pretended to be so engrossed in his hand that he was oblivious to everything else, but he knew Cassiopeia. *I bet, she's dressed to annihilate* Starbuck thought as he drew a card from the deck and put it in his hand.

"Cassie, is that a new dress?" Jen asked as Cassiopeia joined the group.

"This old thing, I just pulled it out of the closet . . . I thought I'd wear it to the concert, if I can find a date." Cassiopeia replied with a sly smile as she leaned down and stared over Starbuck's shoulder.

*Yep . . . That's my Cassie. Predictable* Starbuck thought as he shuffled his cards and then discarded one, leaving him with a perfect pyramid.

"Isn't Starbuck taking you?" Jen asked.

"He won't, so I am left with no alternative . . . but to get another date and perhaps a new boyfriend." Cassiopeia

threatened as she stood up and folding her arms, she glared down at him.

*This is it. If I don't say something, I'll lose her* Starbuck thought.

"I think she means it, buddy." Boomer said as he noticed Boxey walking in.

"I know she does." Starbuck replied with a sigh as his heart sank. *Never again . . . Ha* His mind screamed as he folded his hand and putting out his fumarello, he just sat there.

"Starbuck?" Cassiopeia implored as she laid her hand on his shoulder.

"Cass, I'll take you anywhere else . . . But I can't go to that Starfire concert. I just can't." Starbuck replied,

dolefully.

"Why?" Cassiopeia asked, sympathetically.

*She deserves better* Starbuck thought as he stared down at the table top. "I can't . . . I just can't--"

"Hey, Starbuck, are you ready to play?" Boxey asked as he ran over.

"Boxey, Starbuck was talking." Apollo scolded him in a loving, yet stern fatherly tone.

"I'm sorry . . . I'll wait." Boxey apologized.

"Boxey, what if we play with you?" Sheba offered as she grabbed Apollo's arm.

"But, it's more fun with Starbuck." Boxey replied as he lowered his head and stared at the floor.

"Starbuck and Cassiopeia really need to finish their talk." Apollo said with a smile as he walked over to Boxey.

"That's alright, Apollo . . . I'm finished." Starbuck said as he stood up and turning around, he started to walk away.

"Starbuck!" Sheba exclaimed.

"It's alright, Sheba." Cassiopeia said.

"Something's up. I've never seen him like that." Apollo said as he watched them leave.

"I did. This morning . . . After him and Cassiopeia had a fight in the launch bay." Sheba quickly added.

"And I did, when Boxey was telling us about his new school teacher Isis." Boomer said.

"Isis . . . The Princess Isis?" Jolly exclaimed as he nearly strangled on his ale.

"According to Boxey, She's a direct descendant of the eighth Lord of Kobol." Boomer replied.

*Poor Starbuck* Jolly thought as he shook his head.

"Jolly, do you know something?" Cassiopeia asked as she stared at pudgy, young warrior.

*Now, what do I do* Jolly thought as he stared into her eyes.

"Look, Jolly, I love him . . . and I can't stand to see him hurting this way." Cassiopeia exclaimed as she sat down and lowered her head.

"I know you do . . . Everyone in the fleet knows you do, but I made a promise to Starbuck nine yahrens ago." Jolly

replied as he laid down his cards, he reached across the table and rubbed her hand.

"My Father used say that a promise is only good to keep as long as it doesn't hurt anyone." Sheba said as she laid a

comforting hand on Cassiopeia's shoulder.

"Yeah, I know . . . but it's not that easy." Jolly sighed.

"I think it should be." Apollo said as he reached down and flipped Starbuck's folded cards over. "He folded a perfect pyramid, I'd say he's pretty upset." He continued as all the other players looked on with a shocked look on their faces.

Jolly stared at the cards and at last came to the decision to break his nine yahrens of silence. *Starbuck's going to kill me* he thought.

"For Sagan's sake, out with it!" Bojay exclaimed.

"It all started ten yahrens ago, when Starbuck was sent to the Juvenile Rehabilitation Center in Sagittarius from the Nirvana Orphanage. He was no more then fifteen or sixteen yahrens... always falling in with the wrong crowd and getting in trouble. I remember, we used to pick on him... because he didn't like girls." Jolly started and then paused, deep in his memories. "At least, not until Isis came to the center."

"I thought she was a princess?" Boomer said.

"She was... I mean is. Her Mother used to bring food, clothing and gifts to the Center on Colonial Commemoration Day. One day Isis came with her, she was around fourteen, maybe fifteen and so shy that she wouldn't speak to no one." Jolly replied and taking a drink of his ale, he stared at the tankard. "Anyway to make a long story short... Starbuck and Isis took a liking to each other, soon after Isis started volunteering at the Center after school and before long... Starbuck was head over heels."

"Did she love him?" Cassiopeia asked, solemnly.

"Yeah... I think she did." Jolly uttered a sigh.

"Then, why?" Apollo asked.

"If they loved each other so much, what could have broken them up?" Sheba quickly put in.

"Her Father." Jolly said, matter-of-factly. "Starbuck and Isis secretly dated for three yahrens, because of him. They knew he'd never approve of them, even though Starbuck was planning to enlist."

"So, they got caught?" Jen sighed.

"Starbuck finagled his way out of the Center one night, he was taking Isis to a Starfire concert and they were seen... and that's all I know, except for Starbuck's heart was broke and ever since he's been a care free, gambling philanderer." Jolly said.

"Sagan! My pestering him about the concert... it must have caused him such pain." Cassiopeia sighed.

"Don't be ridiculous, it's been ten yahrens. I'm sure he's over her by now and it's just memories." Sheba tried to reassure her.

"Unless--" Jen said without thinking.

"He still loves her." Cassiopeia interrupted her.

. . .

PART IV

The corridor outside the officer's lounge was well lit as usual as Starbuck and Boxey stepped through the door.

"I brought Dillon and his Mom to play with us." Boxey said, joyously.

Suddenly Starbuck froze, his eyes widened and a lump rose into his throat as his eyes fell on a young woman sitting in a hover chair across the corridor. *I'll always love you* her words came rushing back to his mind as though she had said them only yesterday.

"My Lady." Starbuck mumbled and walking over to her, he knelt down on one knee and bowed his head.

"Rise, Lieutenant. There’s no need for formalities, those days are gone." Isis said with a warm smile.

"Not for some of us." Starbuck replied as he raised her hand from the hover chair’s armrest and lightly kissing her knuckles, he stood up.

*Can it be, he still loves me* Isis wondered as she stared into his velvet brown eyes and her thought faded back to the rainy, Caprican afternoon.

. . .

"I know that you’re hurting now, but you’ll forget all about that delinquent . . . You’ll be sealed to Prince Geb of the Gemonis as you were promised." Isis’s father said as she stared over the hover mobile’s rear seat, watching Starbuck through the rear pane as they drove away.

"Starbuck’s not a delinquent, and I’ll never forget

him . . . Never!" Isis sobbed.

"But you will . . . Once you’re sealed, Geb’s love will make you forget and you’ll have a family of your own." Her father said, tenderly as he reached over and patted her hand. "What I’ve done, I’ve done for your own good."

"My own good?!" Isis shouted as she jerked her hand away. "I’ll be sealed to Geb . . . Because it’s my duty, but there’ll be no children."

. . .

"Mom . . . Mom, are we gonna go play?" Dillon’s voice brought Isis back to the present as he grabbed her arm, possessively.

"Starbuck, you’ll have to forgive Dillon? He’s use to having my undivided attention and I’m afraid, he’s a bit spoiled." Isis said as she tried to give her son a stern, you-know-better look, but could only manage a brief frown.

"Starbuck?" Dillon asked as his eyes got wider and wider. "Our-- Our Starbuck?"

"Dillon, why don’t you and Troy run along and play. Starbuck and I, have a bit of catching up to do . . . We’ll be along in a while." Isis said, after nodding her head yes.

"Come on, Boxey . . . Mom and Da-- Da-- Starbuck’s gotta talk!" Dillon exclaimed as he grabbed Boxey’s arm and dragged him away.

*Da-- Da-- Dad? . . . Holy Frack! I’m a father* Starbuck thought and quickly set down in the middle of the corridor, before he could fall down.

"Starbuck? . . . Starbuck, are you all right?" Isis asked as she leaned forward in her hover chair and indulging herself, she gently stroked his hair.

"A son . . . I . . . We have a son?" Starbuck mumbled as he stared up into her beautiful, blue eyes.

"Does it please you?" Isis asked.

"Yes, but why--"

"I tried . . . I sent messenger, after messenger. They always returned with the same reply that they couldn’t find you, except one when he returned . . . He informed me that you’d been killed in a academy viper accident." Isis interrupted him. "I didn’t know that you were alive, until my father’s plea for forgiveness on his death bed."

"Did you ever marry that Prince?" Starbuck ask.

"Geb was a just man, and he loved your son as he would’ve his own. I was sealed to him and he loved me, until the Cylons killed him . . . but I . . . I loved only you."

"I would’ve saved you that pain, if I’d known." Starbuck sighed as he grasped her hand and rubbed it as if it was a precious rose pedal.

"Lieutenant Starbuck, if you’re going to get drunk . . . at least wait until you’re out of uniform." Sire Uri’s all too familiar voice came from the end of the corridor.

"I’m not drunk, Sir." Starbuck replied as he stood up and faced Sire Uri, Siress Domar and Commander Adama.

"The Lieutenant just received . . . a bit of a shock." Isis said with a hearty, yet feminine laugh.

Starbuck smiled and stared down at Isis.

"Should I call for the Medtechs?" Siress Domar asked in a genuinely concerned tone as they joined Starbuck and Isis.

"No, Ma’am . . . I . . . I--"

"Starbuck, you don’t have to . . . I’ll understand." Isis said as she reached out and took his hand.

"I wouldn’t." Starbuck sighed as he squeezed her hand. *I grew up without a father, my son won’t*

"Well, Starbuck, are you going to introduce us to your friend?" Commander Adama asked, hoping to change the conversation from what appeared to be a touchy subject.

Starbuck took a deep breath, he looked down and found the courage to speak out that he’d needed yahrens ago; in Isis’s eyes.

"Commander Adama, Siress Domar, Sire Uri, this is the Princess Isis. Daughter of Ailill and Maeve, descendant of the eighth Lord of Kobol." Starbuck said, recalling the proper way her royal attendant had introduced her at the Center on the day they met. "The mother of my son." He added as he squeezed her hand, just as the officer's lounge door slid open behind him and an all too familiar gasp fell on his ears. *Cassie*

. . .

PART V

*A son* Cassiopeia’s mind screamed as she turned and ran away.

*Sagan, what have done* Starbuck thought with a sigh.

*If you love him, let him go . . . Ailill’s anger will destroy Starbuck, and if Sagan in his infinite wisdom. Sees fit he will return* Isis memory flashed on her mother’s words as Isis lay in her lap crying, the night her father caught her sneaking in from what would be her last night with her first love.

"Don’t just stand there . . . You and the lady have things to discuss." Isis said as she forced herself to let his hand go.

"But what about my son?"

"A couple sectars ago, Dillon thought you were dead. He idolized you then . . . And now, that he knows you’re alive . . . He’s going to idolize you even more, so you’re perfect in his eyes. We’ll talk later." Isis replied with a smile.

Starbuck turned and started to go after Cassiopeia, but suddenly stopped and looked back at Isis. "Where will I find you?" He ask.

"We have quarter’s on the Gemonis Freighter." Isis replied.

*I’ll have to do something about that* Starbuck thought and rushed off.

. . .

Starbuck looked all over the ship and finally found Cassiopeia in the last place he expected to be.

"We have to talk." Starbuck said as he walked up to her terminal in the life station; where Cassiopeia was busily updating patient reports.

"There’s nothing to talk about . . . Your ex-girlfriend’s back and she’s given you a son." Cassiopeia replied, not even bothering to look up.

"Cass, I--"

"I only have one question that I want answered, right

now . . . Do you still love her?" Cassiopeia ask as she looked up.

*She would ask that* Starbuck thought as he noticed her red, swelled eyes. *Great . . . She’s been crying. Sagan, I hate it when she cries*

"Yes or no . . . Do you love your little Princess . . . or me?"

"Cass, it’s not that easy. I . . . I have to consider Dillon’s feelings, now." Starbuck sighed as he sat on the corner of her terminal’s desk. "He’s lost his stepfather and a couple of months ago, he lost his Grandfather . . . Hades, I don’t even know if his Grandmother Maeve is still alive!"

"Starbuck, I know you want to do what’s best for your

son . . . I’ve fought Athena and half the other girls in the fleet, but I can’t fight a woman that’s given you a son . . . Unless you can say love me, right now." Cassiopeia ranted as various onlookers stared in utter shock.

"Maybe we should talk somewhere else."

"No, Starbuck. You’re going to give me an answer . . . Right here and now!"

"Cassie, I can’t . . . Not now, I need time--"

"To be with your son . . . Or that woman? I saw the way you was holding her hand." Cassiopeia ask as tears welled up in her eyes.

*I do love you, but Dillon deserves the family I never

had . . . Our love is the sacrifice* Starbuck thought and standing, he quickly strode out of the life station and down the corridor.

"Starbuck!" Cassiopeia screamed as she ran after him, but suddenly froze as she watched him disappear around the corner. *What am I doing? He’ll come back, he always does and until

then . . . I’ll wait*

THE END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Rebecca Lee.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.