Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
615
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,026

Legends of the Mind

Summary:

Fandom: MASH
Pairing: Hawkeye/Trapper John
A/N: Post or feedback or do something that lets me know there are people out there. This '5MinFic' took about 15 minutes.

Work Text:

Legends of the Mind
by Littlexpinch

In time memories will fade and grow. All that was good will become something wondrous and all that was bad will become the darkest hours. These are the legends of the mind.

You have always been a legend in my mind but when this is all over you will become the ultimate humanitarian, the courageous surgeon and the greatest lover. There is no room for mediocre in memories. The blood will become redder, the guns louder and the skies darker. The will sun will never rise in Korea, in the dreamland it will become the land of endless night.

You interupt my silent musings. "Trap?"

"Yeah Hawk?"

"Whatcha doing?" You remind me of Cathy when she is bored.

"Thinking."

You pull a face. "Buy you a drink?"

"Hell yes. Drier than humanly possible."

"One dusty martini coming right up."

We lapse into a companionable silence. You hand me my drink and I give you a smile.

***

You smiled at me...I love that smile. That crooked grin that has launched my most memorable wet dreams. I wonder what you were thinking about. "Trap, what were you thinking about?"

"Memories."

Memories, Louise and his happy family. The perfect world of sunshine and smiles. It can't be all that but being here makes it seem it. I know it isn't real, he knows it isn't real but any hope is a precious commodity.

"Good or bad?" I guess I know the answer from the dreamy smile on his face.

"Those yet to come."

That doesn't sound like Trapper. It's too philosophical. "Getting deep on me are you?"

"I guess."

"What will you remember?"

***

"What will I remember...? I will remember the screams of dying children, the idiocy of the Army, all the people I served with." The feel of your skin on mine, the sound of your laugh.

"I will remember the burn of fresh gin, the feel of blood in my boots and Radar's cries of choppers." You want to say more but close over, much like I just did.

I know I will remember so much more, both good and bad. "Hawk, will you remember me?"

You look shocked. "How could you even think I could forget you?! You are unforgettable."

I blush slightly. "Thanks, I know you are lying but thanks."

"I'm not lying." There is something almost aggressive in your voice.

"I won't forget you either, not that anyone ever could." Your eyes are soft and you start to say something, but stop. "What, Hawk? You can tell me."

"There is one memory I really want..." you trail off.

"What is it?" Anticipation is growing in the pit of my stomach, please let it be what I think it is.

You get up and brush a gentle kiss on my lips. You draw back, looking supremely satisfied. "That."

I feel shaky as I meet you blue-gray eyes.

***

Jesus, I just kissed him. Why did I do that? I look down, avoiding his eyes. Memories, who needs them? Are they worth what I just did? I think not. You place your hand under my chin and bring my eyes to meet yours. "Thank you," you whisper.

Thank you?! "What for?"

"For giving me the most unforgettable memory ever."

This moment will live on in my mind forever. As we grow old, miles apart, I will always be able to retreat into a kiss that memories cannot do justice; a kiss that will always be better than how I remember it. It is a kiss that goes beyond the legends of the mind.

END