Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
430
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
718

You're OK. I'm OK

Summary:

Fandom: The Sentinel
Summary: Jim comforts Blair in the wake of Lash's attack.
Warning: Too many clichés. Sorry.
Spoilers: Cypher
Disclaimer: The Sentinel and its characters are the property of Pet Fly Productions. No copyright infringement intended, and no profit made.
Permission to archive: Yes
Exclusive to SentXAngstRevisted: No, can also be found on my LJ
Not beta'd. All mistakes mine.
A/N: Late again! Sorry, ListMom and ListSibs, but the inspiration has just not been flowing of late, and it shows here.
Submitted through the SenseXangstRevisited mailing list.

Work Text:

You're OK. I'm OK.
by FluffNutter

Jim stalked from one side of the waiting room of Cascade General's emergency room to the other, still seething over his forced separation from Blair by the hospital staff. His arguments and threats had fallen on deaf, and - as far as he was concerned - completely insensitive ears.

"You don't get it," he'd growled at the triage nurse. "He was beaten, kidnapped, terrorized and drugged. The last thing he saw was me crashing through a wall with his kidnapper. By the time I got to him he was unconscious and in shock. I need to be here when he wakes up. He needs to know ...."

"Nothing that we can't tell him," the nurse had abruptly countered. "I don't care if you're the mayor of East Ballyhoo, hospital policy says you go to the waiting room and stay out of our way."

And then she'd instructed the two burly orderlies to "escort" Jim to said waiting room where he had been growling and stalking for the past 30 minutes.

Which is when he heard it.

A whimper.

Of fear.

Of pain.

From Blair.

Jim never heard the ER secretary screaming at him to stop. He never registered the fact that he cold-cocked the two burly orderlies who attempted to stop him. He barely remembered growling at the rude triage bitc...that is, nurse. (Simon would later tell him that in her official complaint, the bitc... nurse swore that Jim literally growled at her and she had never been so frightened in her entire life.)

All he remembered was Blair's panicked, pained eyes locking with his own; Blair struggling to move his arms so he could grip Jim; and his own whimper of fear.

"J'm?" Blair slurred. "'kay?"

"Yeah, Chief," Jim whispered as he stroked the sweat-dampened curls from Blair's face. "You're OK. Lash is dead. You're gonna be OK. I promise I won't leave you aga...."

Blair's whimper stopped him.

"N-nuh," Blair finally gasped. "Y-yuh 'kay?"

"God, Chief," Jim whispered, finally letting the tears he didn't even realize were welling, fall. "Yeah. I'm OK, and you're gonna be OK, too. Got it?"

All the tension drained from Blair as he smiled up at Jim.

"Yah. You 'kay. 'm 'kay."


end

A/N: One of these days I'll write a decent piece of fiction. Until then, I hope you enjoy this last-minute effort.