Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
739
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
819

Saved by a Lie

Summary:

Rating: Meh. PG?
Spoilers: Up to and including Not Fade Away
Pairings: None
Setting: During and post 'Not Fade Away.' Possibly AU, though I think it could've happened this way! *clings desperately to denial*
Feedback: Hell yea! Didn't have a beta, so if anything glaring jumps out at you, be sure to let me know.
Disclaimer: These characters aren't mine. I'm just borrowing them from Joss and ME and playing with them for a while. I'll probably put them back when I'm done.
Submitted through the LindseyFic mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Saved by a Lie
by chixdiglinux

"Is everything ready?"

"Yeah, it's all set."

"This friend of yours, he can really do this?"

Lorne sighed. "He's not my friend, he just owes me a really big favor."

Angel looked up at Lorne uncertainly. This was more than just a big favor.

"He also says he likes the challenge. Which brings me to my next point, Angelcakes, this kind of reality shift takes major mojo. If something were to go wrong..." Lorne trailed off.

"Vail pulled it off," Angel countered.

"Yes, and we both remember how well that went. Connor has his memories back."

"It still saved him," Angel said, his mind flashing back to the night at the Sporting Goods store, Connor wired with explosives... "It was done once. It can be done again."

Lorne sighed again and pulled a piece of paper out of his pocked of his brown leather coat. "OK champ. If you're sure." He handed the paper to Angel.

----------------------------------------------

Demon bodies littered the floor of the Sahvrin lair. All demon, except one. Lorne stared at the lifeless former lawyer slumped against the wall. He understood what he had done, and why, and yet he couldn't shake the dread that crept over him the moment he squeezed the trigger. Taking a life was so easy, anyone could do it. Giving it back, that was something that had to be left to people with infinitely more power than he'd ever dreamed of having. And it always came with a price.

Lorne sighed and looked at the floor. "Good night folks," he murmured, and dropped the gun. As Lorne turned and walked away, Lindsey McDonald's body flickered a couple of times, and disappeared as if it had never been there at all.

----------------------------------------------

The battle lasted for what simultaneously felt like eons and only a fraction of a second. In the end Angel, Spike and Illyria stood victorious - or, in the case of Spike and Illyria, propped each other up victorious. Gunn lasted three times longer than Illyria predicted, taking out more than two dozen assorted demons before he fell. Angel slayed the dragon, and then moved on to help Spike and Illyria with the rest of the monsters, many of which ended up killing each other in the confusion. That was the trouble with pitting a demon army against a hand-full of people. The demons that had nothing to do got bored.

Angel looked up at the skyline. He had about two hours before sunrise. He glanced over at Spike, nodded, and walked away from them and the carnage, pulling a folded up piece of paper out of his pocket.

----------------------------------------------

Angel parked the GTX at the end of the street and got out. He looked down at the paper again, checking the address written on it with the street sign. Satisfied, he stuffed it back into his pocket and started walking up the street.

The outside light of the house he was looking for was turned on, and Angel could just make out a man's shape, putting something into the back of a pickup. He crept closer, carefully staying in the shadows.

----------------------------------------------

Lindsey finished loading the fishing gear in the back of his truck and smiled up at his six year old son, who was leaning out of the passenger side window, grinning sleepily. The kid didn't even like fishing; the first time he'd caught a fish he'd cried until Lindsey relented and threw it back into the water. But he never passed on one of these weekly trips, not since the first time Lindsey took him out two years ago.

Lindsey smiled to himself. It wasn't about the fish. Not really. He walked around to the driver's side and opened the door when he spotted someone watching him from across the street.

"Hello?" he ventured. "Can I help you?"

Angel stepped out from underneath the tree he had been leaning on. "I was just looking for someone," he paused. "He's not here."

Lindsey nodded, and looked up at Angel thoughtfully. "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

"No, I don't think so." Angel smiled. "I better get going," he added, before turning and heading back down the street to his car. Whatever the price-tag on this was, he'd deal with it when the bill came. He always did.

---------------------------------------------

Angel climbed into the GTX and slid the keys into the ignition. "Good luck, Lindsey," he whispered, and started the engine.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author chixdiglinux.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.