Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,606
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
10
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
2,070

Letters From Oz

Summary:

Oz writes to Xander while on his quest to find control over the wolf. Written for the Man of Letters Fest at windles_orbit.

Chapter Text

Letters From Oz


Xander trudged into his apartment building and wearily dug out his mailbox key. It had been a hellishly long day and all he wanted to do was grab a shower and veg on the couch with a cold drink. No TV, no radio, no noise of any kind just blessed silence.

Xander pulled out the stack of envelopes and absently sorted through them as he closed and locked his box. Bill, bill, advert, bill, letter - letter? Xander grinned mentally amending his plans: shower, couch, cold drink and his supper secret indulgence. Letters from Oz.

They had become friends at first by default. Oz was dating Willow and Xander was her best friend. They had been on amicable terms until the whole kiss incident. It had taken quite a bit for the pair to repair their friendship after that. In the end they worked it out not for Willow's sake but for their own. The whole group was glad to see the boys relax around each other again but Xander doubted anyone realized how much time the he and Oz spent with each other.

The lycan had started sending Xander letters a few weeks after leaving. Surprisingly the usually quite boy was chatty when he wrote, almost babbling on paper. Mostly the letters were filled with details about where ever in the world Oz was that week and the people he met. Sometimes there were stilted sentences about methods of control that had failed. Words that told of pain not in what they said but what they avoided.

Every week Xander waited and hoped. The brunet hadn't yet had a chance to write back but Xander had a dozen letters tucked away just waiting for his friend to either come home or at least stay still long enough to have a return address.

This week lady luck had been smiling on him and brought not one but TWO Oz letters. Xander barely restrained the urge to do the snoopy dance down the hall to his door. He dropped the rest of the mail in the basket on his counter and tucked the letters under the paperweight on the coffee table as he passed through the living room. He hurried his shower impatient to see what Oz had written.

Xander settled into the couch with a glass of cola and picked up the first letter. Post marked... Hong Kong? Wow, the last one had been from Sri Lanka.


[[]]
Xander,

Traveling east again. I got a tip on a monk in Japan who that might be able to help.

I have been thinking a lot about the whole mess with Veruca. It's been eating away at my soul. But I think I've come to a resolution.

Werewolves mate for life. I thought Willow was my mate - or at least that she would have been when she was ready. But if Willow had been meant for me then Veruca wouldn't- couldn't have effected me they way she did.

I'm not in love with Willow. I love her, you know that, but I realized that I'm not in love with her. And I don't think she was truly in love with me.

There were times I'd get the feeling that Willow was with me because she thought that was what she should do, not because she really wanted to. But then she'd be ultra supportive and bake cookies or something for me just because.

I wish she could have let go enough to tell me what she needed. It hurts that that part of my life is over. I'm going to miss being with her but I think we both need a new start. I hope she finds someone to make her happy.

I'm going to write her when I get to Japan, send her the number there so we can talk.

Maybe I'll even be there long enough that you can write to me for a change. :)

Well I need to get going. Stay safe Xander.

Oz

[[]]


Xander set the letter down and slumped further back into the couch. Oookay.

So he kinda figured Oz and Wills weren't in Happyville but still. Xander was going to have to stock up on ice cream. Even if they weren't exactly together anymore Wills was going to need some babying after she talks to Oz.

Well shopping could wait; he still had another Oz letter to read.


[[]]
Xander,

Arrived in Osaka last night. I am meeting up with a cousin of the people I was staying with in Hong Kong. Ran is going to take me to the temple where the monk I need to see is. He'll be here in an hour.

I was all keyed up and needed to calm down so I decided to write you. Funny how that has become a soothing activity.

Osaka seems to be a nice place, the people are really friendly. I think you would like it here. There were these comedian/street performer guys outside the motel when I checked in. They were funny even if I couldn't understand what they were saying.

I ate tako-yaki - like squid muffin balls, for dinner they were surprisingly yummy. There was soup for breakfast, not bad but odd. I would have skipped it but I'm not sure how long it'll before we stop for lunch.

I hope this monk can help me cause I'm really tired of looking. Tired of moving. The world in three months sounds like an adventure but just as you start to acquire a taste for one place you're off somewhere else and trying to adjust again.


I miss you.
Oz

[[]]


"I miss you too Oz." � Xander carefully folded the letters back into their envelopes and tucked them away.