Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,229
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
5
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,224

Love Remembered

Summary:

Pairing: Jethro/Tony
Rating: PG
Spoilers: Hiatus Part 1 & 2.
Summary: He's back, but he's leaving again.
Sequel to 'Pain, Only if Remembered'.
I hope you guys like this. Wrote it today and it wasn't beta'd. Enjoy.
Submitted through the mailing list. This list can no longer approve new members posts, please join us at Gibbs_And_DiNozzo

Work Text:

Love Remembered
by Keyla Sheppard

After the case was done, after the ship blew and Gibbs walked out of MTAC, Tony stopped.

It wasn't a slow stop. It was a fast, there's something in the middle of the road, stop. It was so hard that it gave him whiplash. And he would laugh about that thought if he wasn't throwing up in the empty bathroom.

He knows McGee and Ziva looked at him weird when he headed out of MTAC he knows he looked bad. But didn't everyone?

He's just about to try and get up, try to walk out looking like... Tony, when he hears the bathroom door open and the click of the lock as someone turns it.

He sits up, enough to get his legs in the stall with him, and moves so his back is against the wall instead of the toilet holding him up. He's not sure who it is.

He hopes though.

"Tony."

His breath catches in his throat at that, he's over the toilet again throwing up nothing but the trapped air.

"Tony, breath... come on."

Jethro's hand is on his back, soft, steady, just like always. He breathes, leans back and when he's sure he can, he looks up.

"Jethro."

Jethro kneels down and grabs for Tony, pulling him closer. His hands travel through Tony's hair and Tony's hands wrap in his shirt.

"Boss, I... I can't... not..."

"Shhh, it's okay. I'm fine, now."

"No, no, it's not okay."

And Jethro pulls away, afraid he's forgotten something, and sits down on the other side of the stall. There's not much room but to Tony it feels like miles, miles away.

"What?" Jethro sounds scared, and that's not right. He's not suppose to show fear, or dread.

Tony doesn't take his eyes off Jethro's; he's been so long without seeing those eyes. Eyes he fell in love with because even if no one else could tell, Tony always knew what he was thinking, feeling.

"I love you, Jethro."

Then Jethro kneels up again and grabs Tony's face in his hands and kisses him. And Tony can't help but kiss back; it seems like years since they've done this last. Too long.

"I love you, Tony."

Tony's crying again, it's not like before, he's got him back, and he's not lost him. Tony's fingers wrap in Jethro's shirt tighter and pull him as close as he can.

There's a knock at the door and it takes them both a second for it to register, they pull apart, slowly.

"Hold on!"

Jethro turns back to Tony, kisses him once more, and stands up before pulling Tony to his feet.

"Listen, Tony. I have to...I'm going to go away. I can't take much more of this. Too many of them are getting away and too many of the higher ups won't let me do what I need to do."

"No, no, no. Jethro... no."

Tony's grabbing for him and Jethro takes his hands and looks him in the eyes.

"Yes, yes Tony. I need a vacation. I'm going to go away. I need, I need to relax, breath. At least for a little while." Tony's still shaking his head, slower now though and he's quiet. "Yes, you'll be fine. Don't, you're a great agent. An awesome one, Tony. I trust you with the team. They'll listen to you."

"I can't... I can't be alone. Not after this. I need..."

"Shhh, I know. I'm going to Mexico, Mike's got a place there, just for a while, I'll be back. I promise."

"Jethro... I can't."

"Tony, you have to stay here. Keep the team together. They'll be yours. Don't..."

Tony pulls him toward him, a sharp pull from the hands that are still wrapped in Jethro's and now they're so close Tony can smell the hospital in Jethro's scrubs.

"No."

"Tony, look at me." Tony lifts his head. "I need this. I do, and if I could, I'd bring you with me. But I don't trust the rest of them to lead a team, they don't know enough yet. I'll be back, okay?"

The knock at the door comes again, hard, with a yell after. Neither of them can make out what's yelled.

"Take care of everything."

Jethro lifts Tony's chin, Tony's tears still falling, and kisses him again.

Then he squeezes his hands and walks toward the door, when he unlocks it and steps out Tony walks to the sink.

****

"Semper Fi."

He watches with a sense of calm that he didn't have before as Jethro walks to the elevator with Ducky next to him. He's got a small smile on, the weight of the badge and gun in his hands oddly comforting.

Tony walks slowly to his own desk and slips the gun and badge into his desk; they'll be there when he gets back.

He can feel everyone's eyes on his. He looks up, smiles.

"Go home, everyone."

Ziva, McGee and Abby look at him for a second, questions on every face before they nod all heading for the elevator. McGee has Abby in his arms and Ziva is trailing behind them until Abby reaches back and grabs her arm, pulling her next to her.

Tony smiles at them.

****

When he finally makes it home, Jethro's house now, he knows Jethro's gone. It's in the way the house seems vacant, lost.

He opens the door and steps in. Slipping off his shoes and his jacket he walks to the kitchen, to grab a cup of coffee.

Tony freezes at the door, there's a letter on the table, a key sitting on it's corner.

I'm going to miss you. You know I love you. You're it for me. But I need time away from... work. Not from you, never from you. At least for now. You're welcome to come down and visit some weekend. When you have the time. If you don't, I'll understand. I'm sorry I left you. I, I'm sorry. I do hope you come to visit. I was down there once with Mike, when I was still a probie, caught fish. I'm sure it's just as beautiful as it was before. Mike's great. He taught me didn't he?
If you don't come, just remember how much I love you. I won't forget you and I'll be back. I promised and I always keep my promises.
Love you. Always.
- Jethro
Oh, directions on the back. Don't want you getting lost now, do we? And don't forget the key.

Tony turns over the paper and in that same, slow scrawl as the letter was written in, is clear directions starting from their front door.

He smiles and puts the letter back on the table.

He'll visit, next weekend. The director will have to find another team to cover.

The End