Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
312
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,194

And Other Unavoidable Cliches

Summary:

Fandom: CSI:Miami
Pairing: Adell Sevilla/Calleigh
Rating: G
Summary: Reponse to the "On the outside" 5 minute challenge
G: On the outside, she's tough as nails
Five minute challenge - "On the Outside"

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

And Other Unavoidable Cliches
by Julian Lee

On the outside, she's tough as nails, is Adell Sevilla. Tougher. Tough enough to evade stupid cliches like "Tough as nails."

Calleigh can't help it. It's the way she thinks sometimes.

She watches Detective Sevilla when she can. When no one's watching. Though someone is always watching.

Speed was the first to notice. Well, no, probably not. Horatio, most likely, was the first to notice. Speed was the first to say anything.

"Calleigh, can I ask you something?" Speed leans on the counter and crosses his arms.

Calleigh doesn't look up from her little array of bullets. She wants to start singing that song she knew as a kid: "One of these things is not like the others..." Instead she says, "What do you need?"

"Do you and Detective Sevilla have...a thing?"

She looks up now, blinking fast. "Do we..." Her head shakes in quick denial. "A thing. No. We do not have a 'thing,' Tim."

"Okay." Speed scratches the back of his neck. "It's just...I've noticed you watching her at scenes. And today--" The toe of his shoe scuffs abashedly against the floor. "Today I noticed her watching back."

This is new. Calleigh carefully sets down her bullet and faces Speed. "She was watching me?"

"You didn't notice?"

"No, I didn't." And now, unaccountably, she's irritated with herself for this. Adell Sevilla was watching *her,* watching her, apparently, the way she often watches Adell Sevilla, and she didn't notice.

"So, um." Speed stares with overacted indifference into space. "I think you should."

"Should...what?" Calleigh's missed a step in the conversation somewhere.

Speed clears his throat uncomfortably. "You know. You and the detective should. Have a thing."

Calleigh grins at him then, blindingly. "You know what, Speed? You are absolutely right."

Because maybe all those nails are on the outside only.

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Julian Lee.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.