Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
993
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
847

Four Days.

Summary:

It's only four days, Alan reminds himself, and four days is not a long time.

Work Text:

It's only four days, Alan reminds himself, and four days is not a long time. It's 96 hours, or 5,750 minutes, or 345,600 seconds; he did the math this morning after Denny left the office. It sounds like less if he calls it 'four days', even though he thinks that logically it really shouldn't and, since it all passes at the same speed anyway, it's fairly irrelevant but his mind's still stuck on the detail.

He annoyed Shirley again this morning and she's making her wrath clear at every available opportunity, added to which he's somehow insulted one of the researchers (she says he insinuated she didn't know how to do her job, but he's been over the conversation in his mind a hundred times and he still can't work out how she came to that conclusion) and made 'inappropriate' and 'sexual' comments to a secretary (not his own, thank god, and they weren't that bad), which has done nothing to calm Shirley down.

So: Shirley's annoyed with him and Paul's annoyed with him by default because Shirley is, and it's feeling a little "Man vs. World" around Crane, Poole & Schmidt. He's not unfamiliar with the feeling but it's hitting harder today because, while he can retreat to Denny's office to get away, Denny isn't in it to make him feel better.

With Denny in Washington he's on his own, and that makes him twitchy and restless. He's good at being alone (at least, as long as there's someone else around) but he's grown accustomed to not having to be, and consequently he's out of practise.

He supposes that what he really needs is to have more than one friend, but his other friendships never seem to end well. He'll put his trust in people, like he did with Bernard, and they'll end up betraying him in some way -- murder, in Bernard's case.

He gets up and wanders from his office to Denny's, even though he knows it'll be empty, pouring himself a drink to take through to the balcony. He's just lighting a cigar and picturing Denny doing the same thing next to him to stave off the loneliness, when Denny's private line starts to ring. He pauses for a moment and then answers it, reasoning that Denny probably won't mind since they tell each other everything anyway.

"I thought you might be there," Denny says. "Hiding out?"

"Denny." Alan smiles automatically, even though there's no one around to smile at. "I am, actually. Shirley seems to be a little upset with me so I thought I'd borrow your office -- it has the balcony and the alcohol. How's Washington?"

"Same as always," Denny says. "What did you do to upset Shirley?"

"I took on a case that she disagrees with," Alan says, taking the phone and his drink outside and settling into his chair. "And allegedly harassed a secretary--"

"I thought that was my job?"

"Apparently we share it. And-- oh! I also insulted the new girl in research, although I can't quite work out how I pulled that off..."

"There's a new girl in research?" Denny sounds puzzled. "Have I met her? Is she pretty?"

"She is actually and yes, you met her last week. Paul introduced you."

"I don't remember her."

"That doesn't surprise me," Alan says dryly.

"Me either," Denny says, and Alan can tell he's smiling.

"So," he changes the subject after a moments pause, "How's the trip going? Have you persuaded the client to call us and only us should he break the law and need expert legal advice?"

"I've been invited to the company dinner tonight."

"Usually a good sign."

"You'd love the restaurant we're going to," Denny tells him. "We'll have to come here for a weekend and I'll take you."

"That sounds like it could be fun."

"Of course."

"You're back in Boston on Saturday morning?" Alan asks, knowing the answer but asking anyway.

"Possibly Friday night," Denny says. "Try not to get fired before then, won't you. I hate arguing with Shirley on the weekends."

"I'm sure Shirley won't fire me," Alan says, with much more confidence than he feels. His skill as an attorney and his success rate counteracts his often outrageous behaviour and unique style in court, but he respects the possibility that one day it may not be enough. "But I'll be careful, just in case she's feeling particularly vicious."

"Good man," Denny says. "I'd better get going. Don't want to be late!"

"Can't have that," Alan agrees.

"Denny Crane! Wild in Washington!"

"May the people who live there survive it."

"Funny," Denny says. "Stay out of trouble."

Alan smiles. "Good night, Denny."

"Good night, Alan."

Alan hangs up the phone with a smile still lingering on his face, taking a sip from his glass. He hears the door to Denny's office open behind him and the tap-tap of heeled shoes gives him a large clue to the person's identity. He tries to keep Denny's warning in mind, fighting the urge to piss Shirley off more just because he can, and sets his glass down on the table as he rises to his feet.

"Alan."

"Shirley," he says with forced politeness, meeting her still-cool gaze and preparing for round two. He can survive on his own for four days just fine, but it's going to take more effort than he usually likes to devote to these things and he's still looking forward to having Denny back. "Can I get you a drink?"

She glares and he smiles, and round two arrives with a bang.