Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,228
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,127

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Summary:

Jethro faces a unique first

Work Text:

Oh, I'm awake. When did that happen? I think it's still early but I'm not sure. The blackout curtains in the bedroom make it hard to tell. Years of working strange hours and sleeping even stranger hours necessitated the blackout curtains. I guess I really don't need them anymore since I'm not a working man any longer.

Yesterday was my last day at NCIS and my last day as a Marine. I had applied for terminal leave more than 2 months ago. The processing of the paperwork had taken nearly two months thanks to the unused leave time I had accrued. My unused vacation days had resulted in my final check from NCIS totaling a staggering amount as well. Even I wasn't aware of how much time I had on the books. Sure it had been years since I'd taken a real vacation. The only time off I took each year was to fulfill my reservist requirement with the Corps. One weekend a month and two weeks each year. The only other time I took off was when I was recovering from a gunshot wound. Even then I always found a way to come back to work earlier than expected. Quite a few of my coworkers made a pretty penny betting on just how short I would cut my sick leave. I guess you could say I was a bit of a workaholic.

Now, now I'm not sure what I am. Retired. Me, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, second B is for Bastard, retired. Boy, does that sound strange. Maybe I should smack myself upside the head.

I had made a point to make it known that I did not want any fuss made over my retirement. I made sure Director Morrow knew it. I made sure my team knew it. I was just doing my job. A job that involved a case right up until 4:00pm yesterday. After reviewing my team's reports, I had gone down to the weapons lock up to turn in my service revolver and to grab the empty boxes out of my car. On the way back up, I got stuck in the elevator. Yep, after years of using it as my own personal conference room, the damn thing decided that one of my final trips would be on its' terms, not mine. Stopped between floors, I spent a good ten minutes cooling my heels. When the damn thing had started moving again, I was royally pissed.

When I had stepped off the elevator, I had noticed it was unusually quiet in the bullpen. Instantly my senses were on alert as I saw everyone gathered around Tony's desk. I wasn't even out of the building yet and Tony's goofing off. True to form, that finished off the last of my temper.

Of course, I couldn't have been more wrong. As I moved around the divider, the crowd parted and I realized that even more people were streaming into our work area. Sitting on a cart next to Tony's desk was a huge cake inscribed with Good Luck, Gibbs on it. As I turned to make my way back out of the room, I felt a strong presence behind me.

"You are not leaving and disappointing these people, boss," Tony has whispered in my ear while blocking my escape. "They just want to show you how much they think of you."

I had turned to look at Tony and the look he gave me... well let's just say he is going to make a great team leader. As the assembled group broke into a chorus of "For he's a jolly good fellow", I knew my fate was sealed. I was there for the duration of the cake and punch.

As if sensing my discomfort, Tony quickly brought the group under control. "Boss, we just want you to know that this isn't about rewarding you for just doing your job. You are and forever will be one of the best NCIS agents around. But you are so much more than that. You've provided all of us with the inspiration to be the best we can be, to be honorable, and to fight for what we believe in. You've shown us what loyalty and friendship is all about. To Gibbs."

For the next hour, I think I talked to everyone in the building. Even the guys from maintenance and engineering came by. The guys from engineering told me that now they would have to respond to the elevator out of service calls right away. The maintenance crew had even pulled the extra large coffee pot out of the break room and boxed it for me to take home, saying it was only right that the two of us retire together.

As every one was beginning to leave, Tom Morrow showed up at my desk. He told me to send my team home, pack my gear, and meet him in his office. We had one last task to take care of. Two hours and several shots of bourbon later, Tom had dropped me in front of my house. Never before had the walk from the driveway to the front door seemed so long.

When I had finally opened the door, my senses went on immediate alert. The lights were turned on low and there was a delicious aroma lingering in the air. Reaching automatically for my weapon that was no longer in its place, I reached for my back up at my ankle.

"You won't be needing that," Tony had said quietly as he had walked into the foyer, followed by Ducky, Palmer, McGee, and Abby.

"DiNozzo," I had growled at him quietly. Any further response was cut off when Abby suddenly launched herself into my arms, laughing and crying at the same time. I have to admit the rest of the evening passed in pretty much of a blur. My team, my family, had prepared a special dinner just for me. We spent hours talking the good and bad times we'd been through together. It was that word, together, that brought it all into perspective for me. For hours, I shared with my family as I had seldom done over the years. We shared our laughter and our pain. Abby, Ducky, Palmer, Tim, and Tony, they are my family. I swear, I even heard Kate's laughter a time or two.

Last night had been a night of firsts. For the first time, I let my team, my family, know exactly what they meant to me. How much I loved and cherished each of them. It was early in the morning when they left. Well most of them.

It was nearly two in the morning when I finally said those words I'd been wanting to say for years. For the first time, I told another man I loved him. To have him return my love was the greatest gift I'd ever been given. Sure I'd spent the better part of my life living it for my country, protecting those who protect us. But now, today is the first day of the rest of my life. And I'm going to spend every minute of showing Tony just how much I love him.