Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
5,370
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
2,239

Beginning Of Always

Summary:

The boys get caught up in a bank robbery

Work Text:

Beginning Of Always
by Drena

 

No trumpets sound when the important decisions of life are made. Destiny is made silently.
~ Agnes De Mille

"I still think Lom's over re-acting, no dynamite sold within in the city limits? Seems like he's taking precaution a bit too far," Kid grumbled untying his horse from the hitching post.

Heyes looked around the town of Porterville and grinned, "Oh I can see why he might be just a little over cautious after the last time we were here."

"Heyes that was six months ago, towns all re-built."

"And I think they would like it to stay that way."

"Mr. Smith! Mr. Jones!"

"Almost made it," Heyes said staring down at the reins in his hands exhaling in defeat.

"Miss Porter! What a lovely surprise," Kid said turning to greet the woman with his best smile, still optimistic they could say their good days and be gone.

"Don't tell me you were thinking of leaving without saying hello!" the perky dark haired woman asked wide eyed.

"We were hoping," Heyes said under his breath and then brightened as he realized she was dressed for traveling and therefore might need to be somewhere soon. "What can we do for you ma'am?"

****

"I am so glad I caught you. When I saw Lom..."

"Oh Lom told you we were here," Heyes said making a mental note to have a talk with his friend.

"Oh yes he thought you might be interested in the reward."

"Reward?" they both said in unison giving her their full attention.

"Why yes for saving the bank's money from those outlaws. Daddy was ever so pleased. We never did know where to send it, Lom said you moved around a lot."

"Well that is true ma'am," Kid said giving Heyes a look. It was obvious he wanted a word with Lom as well.

"I have to catch a train, but I'll be back tonight, perhaps dinner..."

Kid and Heyes looked at each other not sure who was getting the offer.

"Ma'am we would love to," Heyes said. "But we have business in Cheyenne that cannot wait."

"Well then I'll just give this to you now," she smiled opening her purse. "I brought it along on the hope I would see you."

Heyes took the check and blinked at the zeros on it.

"Ma'am this is very generous, especially considering you had to rebuild the bank, buy a new safe..." Heyes went on.

"You know Lom said the same thing," she smiled. "But I insisted."

"I bet he did, I mean you did," Kid said as a train whistle went off behind them.

"Oh that's my train. I hope on your next visit we might get to spend some time together?"

"Ma'am I will be counting the hours," Kid said tipping his hat.

That seemed to unbalance her a little and she had to pause to remember what she was doing and then smiling dizzily she hurried away towards the train station.

"Amazing woman," Kid laughed.

"In small doses," Heyes laughed back.

"You want to cash this before we leave?"

"Better," Heyes said. "Besides I was curious anyway to see how the new bank looked."

"You mean the new safe?"

"Kid! I am retired."

"Uh huh."

"Besides I never get over the rush of walking into one," Heyes pointed out and then added with a twinkle in his eye. "And making a legitimate withdrawal of course."

"Of course," Kid added seriously.

Grinning they walked over to the bank

***

"Ma'am can I help you with that?"

Heyes looked over to see his partner had stopped at the door to speak to a feminine figure struggling with a large, canvas, sack that appeared far too heavy for her.

"Oh could you?" she smiled looking up and Heyes let out a breath and shook his head. How did Kid find them? She was lovely and soft and feminine in powder blue, eyes as dazzling as her smile. "The children in town have been collecting pennies to help raise money for the Christmas orphan fund and I'm afraid I didn't realize how many they collected until I tried to carry them here. I'm afraid it's so heavy the bottom of the bag is about to split."

"My pleasure ma'am," Kid said taking the canvas sack from her easily and ushering her in ignoring Heyes roll of the eyes.

Expertly scanning the room out of habit, Heyes entered slowly. There was only one other customer, an elderly doctor if the bag beside him was any indication. Looking up from the deposit slip he was writing he smiled.

"Good morning Debra, children did well I see?"

"Thank to you Dr. Burt," the woman with Kid smiled.

"Glad I could help."

Heyes continued his evaluation. Next to the new Brooker 404 was a desk where a stern bank clerk sat enjoying being in charge while Miss Porter was away. He was about 40, and very convinced of his importance.

The two teller windows were open with two women behind them one small and fair haired, Heyes almost suspected she was standing on a box she seemed so tiny in the cage, and another much older woman with a permanent scowl across her suspicious face.

Deciding his partner had enough luck for one day Heyes subtly beat him to the young girl's window and was rewarded with a smile made of pure sunshine.

Kid and the schoolteacher brought their load up to the other window and Heyes didn't have to look over to feel his partner's look that said he had caught Heyes maneuvering.

"Good morning sir! How may I help you?"

"Good morning," he said back with the same enthusiasm, her cheerfulness contagious. "I was hoping to cash this?" he said sliding the endorsed check across to her.

"Yes sir!" she said making him feel important even though she had not even seen the amount yet. He watched her glance back nervously and following her eyes noted the bank clerk at the desk was staring at her like she was holding up the bank. Heyes straightened a little suddenly feel protective of a complete stranger.

"It's only my second day!" she confided when she saw him frowning at the clerk. "Mr. Green is keeping an eye on me!"

"Well I think you are doing a fine job," Heyes whispered back and then added loudly so the whole bank could hear.
"Probably the most pleasant and efficient bank clerk I've ever dealt with and I have been in a lot of banks."

She blushed at the praise and Heyes kept his eyes steady knowing for sure now Kid was looking at him.

"And how would you like the money sir?"

Suddenly Mr. Green stood up at his desk.

"Miss Martina may I see you for a moment?" It was a command, not a request.

She turned around and nodded looking worried as she tried to guess what she had done wrong.

"Excuse me sir," she said worriedly.

Heyes glanced over and realized Kid was having problems of his own.

"Miss Debra you know the banks policy, these coins must be counted and rolled and..."

"Miss Anderson," the girl was trying not to lose her temper. "I need to get the cashier's check today, I haven't had chance. I was hoping..."

"This is a bank Miss Debra, if you want hope, try the church down the street.

Kid instantly moved up from casual observer and smiled at woman.

"I think since we could make an exception seeing as how the money is going for children?"

"I never make an exception," she said darkly.

Kid nodded thoughtfully and to anyone else it would have appeared he was going to comply, anyone, but Heyes who knew that look and groaned covering his eyes.

His timing was just right for at the moment Kid picked up the canvas bag and dumped the entire bags contents onto the counter. Change went rolling every where and then with emphasized forcefulness he began counting calmly. "One....two..."

Turning back to his window Heyes kept his hand over his face to keep from laughing and turned his attention back to Martina and Mr. Green who were having a heated argument.

"But it's Miss Porter's signature sir," the girl was trying to explain.

"Do you honestly believe Miss Porter would give a man who looked like that $5,000?"

"Looks like what? He works?" she said back and realized she was in trouble the moment she said it.

"We will discuss this later Miss Martina," the man said.

Eyes full of tears she stepped back into the cage and blinked them back.

"I am so sorry sir I need a reference before I can cash this check."

"My partner and I worked her about six month ago, is Mr. Greeley in?"

"No sir he went to the capital with Mr. Porter. I'm afraid all the other staff is new, most left when the bank was destroyed, a few were afraid to come back."

"Would the sheriff be sufficient to vouch for us?" Heyes smiled letting his eyes go past her and rest on Green until they made him nervous.

"Oh yes sir! Sheriff Trevors would be perfect!"

"He's a good friend. I'll go get him and be right back.

Heyes turned towards the door when it opened. After that things moved so quickly he was never quite sure who realized what was happening first him or Kid.

The five men burst into the room guns drawn. In some sort of order one of the women screamed, Miss Anderson fainted, Kid drew while pushing the teacher down behind him and Heyes saw Lom enter silently from the corner of his eye.

The Sheriff had entered from the back, but just as he moved to sneak up on the scene, Mr. Green called out his name as if presuming the man had not noticed the bank was being robbed and turned all attention to the lawman.

One of the men fired, the others never got chance as both Kid and Heyes' guns went off taking two of the men down and removing the guns from two others.

"Stop right there gentlemen or this pretty little thing expires right here and now."

Kid and Heyes turned their guns to see the fifth man had worked his way behind the cage and had a gun to Martina's head.

Reluctantly they dropped their guns.

"Harry, Tator, keep an eye on the door!"

"But Crenshaw I'm hurt!" one of the men said nursing his hand.

"They just nipped you now shut up and get to the door. Bradley, Torrez get their guns."

Nervously the guns were scooped up as Kid and Heyes made their way to Lom's fallen figure.

"Leave him!" Crenshaw barked.

"Got to hell," Heyes barked back leaning the wounded man into him as Kid crouched down beside him to check the wound.

"What is it about you two in town and this bank," Lom whispered.

"Just here to make you look good," Kid smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes.

"Gentlemen I'm a doctor, " the white haired man said defying the outlaws to come over and kneel beside him.

"I said leave him!"

"No sir this man is a friend of mine and even if he were not I do not let people bleed to death," the man said quietly, but firmly. "Even outlaws." On outlaws he opened his bag so Kid and Heyes could see the contents and the gun lying within.

Bradley and Torrez moved to pull the man away, but Kid was instantly on his feet between the two groups.

"Let the doc look at him."

Heyes looked up sensing what every person in the room had just realized. Kid, even unarmed, was a threat. He was also going to be dead if Heyes didn't step in.

"Ma'am?" he asked the teacher, what was her name? "Debra?"

She understood his pleading look and let him transfer Lom to rest against her as the Doctor began working to stop the bleeding.

Freed, Heyes was quickly on his feet and in the center of the room talking to all the men at once trying to draw their attention to him and not Kid.

"Look a murder charge is not going to help any of you. It will make a posse ride that much harder and longer, especially if it is the sheriff. Let the Doctor take a look at him."

"Crowd starting to gather out there," Harry said from the door where he was keeping watch.

"Bradley, Torrez get the money we need to ride," Crenshaw said finally giving Kid a look that said it wasn't over yet.

Kid seemed quite happy with that and with a groan Heyes grabbed his arm and pulled him over to him.

"Don't force this, he has a gun and you don't."

"He shot Lom."

"And we will get him, but you getting shot as well is not going to help matters. Kid stay focused I need you."

Kid heard the concern in his partner's voice, the only thing that could reach him when he was that angry.

"Okay Heyes," he said softly giving him a trace of a smile. "Your way...for now."

Heyes let out the breath he was holding.

"Crenshaw we got us a problem, safe is locked!" Torrez said suddenly.

"Wait a minute that thing was just open," Crenshaw said angrily.

"Until I closed it!" Green said proudly and Heyes groaned. "Did you honestly think I would just sit back and allow you brigands to abscond with the bank's money?"

Crenshaw walked over and stuck his gun up the man's nose; "Well you better just go and re-open it fer I blow your fool head off."

"I...I can't do that, I don't have the combination."

Crenshaw clicked back the gun and the man whimpered.

"Sir he's telling the truth," Martina said urgently. "Only Mr. Porter and his daughter have it and they won't be back until tonight."

"Well ain't you the prettiest little thing, maybe you know it? What you think boys, think we can get her to tell it to us?"

"I'm willing to try," Tator guffawed.

"You are not thinking here!" Heyes said urgently. "You do not have time to sit around here. Just take what is out in the drawers and consider yourself lucky it wasn't worse."

"You seem to know an awful lot about all this," Crenshaw said. "You a law man too? Pretty chummy with that sheriff."

"He ain't no lawman, I finally figured it out!" Torrez said snapping his fingers. "That's Hannibal Heyes."

Miss Anderson fainted again and Heyes heard someone gasp and he hoped it wasn't him.

"Thought you were a little too fast with that gun, boy," Harry said to Kid.

"Well, well this is our lucky day boys, we got us the two most infamous bank robbers in the west here to give us the benefit of their experience and wisdom."

"We aren't Heyes and Curry," Heyes said calmly. "My name is Joshua Smith and this is my partner Thaddeus Jones."

"They're friends of the sheriff," Martina spoke up in their defense and was rewarded by a smile from both of them.

"Hannibal Heyes," Crenshaw said walking around to face him. "Heard a lot about you, got a real way with safes. See me and the boys? Well we need to get in there and you are gonna help up."

"The only way to get into that safe with dynamite," Heyes said having all ready noted none of them had any with them. Amateurs!

"Well you won't find any of that in this town," Mr. Green said firmly and Heyes cursed him silently. He had hoped to get some of the hostages out, maybe even with Lom in search of the stuff.

"That true?" Crenshaw asked.

"Yes it is," Miss Anderson said. "Mr. Porter made the City Council pass an ordinance."

"So I guess you are going to have to open it the hard way Mr. Heyes."

"No one can open a Brooker 404," Mr. Green bristled.

"He's right," Heyes said. "I even tried here not more than six months ago. Can't be done."

Crenshaw pointed his gun directly at Kid, "Even to save your partner's life."

Heyes swallowed remaining as poker faced as Kid. "Threatening him will not give me the skill to open that safe."

"And the more people you kill the harder it is going to be to get out of this town," Kid pointed out quietly showing no sign of fear.

"I reckon that's true, but my boys are gonna need an incentive to ride hard and a hanging and money might just do it. Now get to work Mr. Heyes or the boys might get restless and I'll have to put these ladies to work to ease their frustrations."

"That safe could take me days to open!" Heyes said angry and frustrated trying not to look at Kid. They both knew how successful he had been the last time he had tried to open a safe like that under a time limit.

"Your partner ain't got days."

Giving Kid a look only he could read. Heyes stepped behind the counter and slowly removing his hat sat down beside the safe.

"Well seeing as how we got some time," Torrez smiled at Martina.

"Lady is needed over here," Kid said taking her by the arm and steering her over where the others were huddled around Lom. "Distractions upset my partner."

"Who you think you are giving me orders," the man roared and Kid placed the girl behind him.

"Not orders, just advice, advise a smart man ought to take."

Heyes smiled inspite of himself suddenly remembering another bank, another time, the same words.

***

"Who's the kid?"

Heyes had entered the bunkhouse of the hideout at Devil's Hole first hoping to lay oil on the waters. Even at 18 he could outtalk most of the older, veteran members of the gang and he knew he was going to have to do some fast talking to explain why he had broken the rules and brought his cousin there without permission, especially right before a job. Big Jim had rules.

But Jedediah had never been very good at waiting, especially when he felt his cousin was protecting him. Heyes sighed and stepped aside, allowing Curry to enter. Big Jim and the rest of the room took in the young man, who looked even younger and Heyes was positive now this had not been a good idea.

Lobo looked the skinny, fair-haired boy up and down and publicly dismissed him causing the group to laugh. Big Jim was not so foolish, something in Curry's eye made him stand and greet him.

"So Hannibal, who is your friend?"

"My cousin, Jim this is Jedediah Curry. Jed this is Big Jim Santana, he's the man I told you about, the leader of the Devil's Hole Gang."

"Mr. Santana," Kid said politely tipping his hat and someone laughed, but Jim nodded, approving of the younger man's show of respect.

"I ran into him in town," Heyes said glossing over the turbulent run in that had re-united him. Knew we needed another gun with Charlie sick. He's real good with that sidearm Jim."

"So you want to be an outlaw like your big cousin?" Jim said as if amused, but no one smiled.

"Didn't say that," Kid replied hands on his belt, casual, but the promise of trouble was there. "Said I'd come with him and check it out."

The room roared with laughter at this pup daring to think he would have to accept them.

"He don't mean no harm Jim, just a bit young is all," Heyes said desperately trying to keep someone from getting killed.

"So tell me Mr. Curry, are you as smart as your cousin?" Jim asked still trying to get a handle on the man.

"No sir," Curry said matter of factly. "Ain't no one smarter than my cousin."

Heyes groaned as this really delighted the room.

"Amigo if you want to be a member of this gang the first thing you have to remember is the leader is the smartest man you know."

"Then maybe this gang has the wrong leader," Curry said simply.

The room went deathly quiet and Heyes closed his eyes for a second and opened them praying for something to discharge the tension in the room.

Kid hadn't wanted to come, but he hadn't wanted Heyes to go either. The six months they had been apart, mad as hell at either other, Heyes' exploits with the Plummer Gang had reached him. When they had 'accidentally' run into each other again Jedediah had been furious with him. "Robbing banks Heyes? What would your folks say?".

But gradually Heyes had worn him down. He had money, lots of it, and Kid saddle wore and hungry had to admit it was nice not to have wonder when you would eat again. So when Heyes had invited him to meet the gang his cousin had gone along reluctantly.

"Your loyal, I like that in a man and you are right your cousin is very smart, if not a bit green. Tell me Mr. Curry do we meet with your approval, will you do us the honor of riding with us?"

Curry met him eye to eye and didn't flinch. "Yea, reckon I will."

Heyes started breathing again and after the two men had shook hands pulled his cousin to the corner of the room where he slept and a spare upper bunk remained.

"Have you completely lost your mind?" he turned on his cousin as the room went back to what it had been doing and they were ignored. "You could have got us both killed."

"They'd have to outdraw me to do that."

"Okay I know you are quick, but these men are fast as well."

"Not as fast as me."

"You don't know that."

"Yea I do. It's been a long six months Heyes, I ain't a kid anymore."

"Yea, but you're still stupid! Look tomorrow when we take that bank? You just stay behind me and let me do all the thinking and all the talking, understand?"

"If that's the way you want it Heyes," the young man said climbing up on his bunk and putting his hat over his eyes, Heyes noting he did not remove his gun.

Frustrated at the control he had lost over his 'little' cousin ate at him and he didn't sleep well. Jedediah had been hard enough to look after when he had been compliant, this stranger, this man he didn't know.

But he wanted to. He had missed having the man he saw as his brother watching his back. Running with outlaws had taught him luck and brains only got you so far; a man needed a partner he could count on. If he was honest he had missed his cousin's clear head and loyalty. They had parted once not under the best of terms, Heyes was going to make sure that didn't happen again.

The bank at Stoverton had been cased and accessed by Heyes himself. Big Jim was trusting him more and more. He respected his intelligence and his way with a plan. Heyes rode in confidant they would be in an out before anyone even realized.

The two of them entered the bank behind Big Jim and the four other gang members. It was the mine's payday. Money was just calling their name, until the back doors of the bank opened up and the six lawmen came out guns blazing.

The trap took everyone by surprise and it only got worse as Big Jim caught the first bullet.

Curry had been closest to him and Heyes had dived for cover yelling out his name to get down. But suddenly Kid was all over the room, his gun the only gang member's returning fire and it was everywhere as he flew and dived and rolled. His accuracy was uncanny, his speed almost too fast to comprehend. Even Jim had paused in his agony, as Heyes had used the cover to drag him to safety, to nod in appreciation at the skill being expended to save him.

If he hadn't been so fast he would have been dead, Heyes thought because he was taking the trouble to aim not to kill. Such precision cost him seconds that on a normal gunman would have meant disaster, but Kid had time to spare.

With Jim out of the line of fire Heyes scrambled to his feet to back up his cousin. It had only been a moment, but the room had gone silent, as Kid, the only man standing, reloaded his gun with stunning quickness and waited for anyone else to offer up resistance.

"Nobody move," Heyes said taking command while Curry fell into place backing him up. "Lobo, Wheat get Jim out of here."

The two men paused, but something about the way the two men stood in the center of the room backing each other up made them nod and quickly help the injured man to his feet.

"Joe, Red, get the money," Heyes said his voice calm as he tried to soothe the room. "Won't be a moment folks and we will be on our way. Stay put for about five minutes and then you can call the doctor," Heyes told the room and exited, Kid behind him.

Once outside Heyes swung up behind Jim who was slumped over the front of his horse and kicked the animal into a run.

"Hannibal no!" Jim cried. "You will slow us down riding with me!"

"Slow us down even more having to keep stopping to put you back on your horse," Heyes said willing the horse forward.

They were just clear of town when he stopped them.

"Jed give me one of those bags," Heyes said and Curry tossed him a canvas sack. Pulling out a knife the quickly slit the bottom.

"What are you doing!" Lobo yelled. "All the money is gonna fall out!"

"Exactly, a little distraction."

"Let us take that," Kid said understanding. "You and Jim take the back way in."

The rest of the gang stared at this sudden shift in power.

"Who died and put you in charge kid?" Wheat asked.

"Yea who are you to be giving orders?" Red asked.

"Not orders, just advice, advise a smart man ought to take."

Curry's eyes didn't flinch, his hand was no where near his gun, but one by one the men nodded.

"All right Kid," Wheat said finally. "We'll do it your way."

***

Heyes mind returned to the present as he heard the last number slip into place. He was sweating, he was tired, but as he felt the handle give way to him he also felt that elated rush that only solving such a puzzle could bring.

Kid and everyone else looked up at the sound.

Heyes stood up and smiled inspite of himself.

"Hannibal Heyes you are the best," Crenshaw said amazed.

"I told you I am not Hannibal Heyes...," Heyes said giving Kid a look and something passed between the two men unseen.

"Get that money in the bag," Torrez said pulling Martina to her feet.

"Here use this one," Kid said firmly handing the girl the sack beside him. The one the coins had been in, the one he had been playing with for the last hour.

She was about to say something, but then he gave her a smile and she nodded not questioning him.

Going over to the safe she began putting the money Heyes handed her inside the bag. Money she noted he was breaking the paper bands on so the notes were loose.

"Well thank you all kindly. I think we'll just be taking the ladies with us as a precaution," Crenshaw said hauling Debra to her feet as Torrez grabbed Martina.

As he spun her around the bag spun with him and it was final straw needed to burst the bottom and send the contents flying into the air like so much confetti at a president' s parade.

Kid had the gun from the doctor's bag and only had to fire off two shots to get everyone's attention as the men froze from scrambling to catch the money.

"Gentlemen," Heyes said coming over and scooping up a weapon. "I'm afraid your withdrawal has been cancelled.

***

"How?" Lom said two hours later from the comfort of his own bed. His arm bandaged and aching.

"How what?" Heyes asked.

"You couldn't open that safe six months ago, why now and under pressure like that?"

"Lom," Kid said hurt. "My life was in danger, of course he found a way to open it."

"Don't give me that Curry, you knew he was going to get it open, you had that bag all ready, how?"

"Well Lom," Kid smiled. "I knew Heyes could open it because he couldn't open it before. Man don't rest until he figures something out. An a couple of months back we were in Denver and my cousin spent the better part of an afternoon at the patent office there."

"Ya see they got these new fangled locks with a cam notch and when the notch is in the cam and is directly beneath the lever? It will descend slightly making a click? Turn the dial further and the lever is pushed back out. Those are the right and left contact points. Turn the dial to 97 and do the same thing, repeat, dropping three at a time..." Heyes said beginning to enjoy himself now.

"You figured it out," Lom said. "And you told Kid you had."

"Nope," Kid said. "Just knew he would have by now."

Lom stared at the two innocent faces before him. "Just like you knew Kid would think to split the seam on that worn sack?"

"Well we sort of had a bank job where we used that before," Heyes said modestly.

"Heyes idea. Worked great then too," Kid said.

"Get out of here both of you, I need my rest and you are making my head hurt."

"Sure Lom, you look after yourself," Heyes smiled.

"Be seeing ya Lom."

The two men stepped out into the street and picked up their horse's reins.

"How did you happen to be thinking that?" Heyes asked interested.

"Reminded me of our first job together, knew you'd be thinking around the same lines," Kid shrugged. "Even if you didn't you would have come up with something else knowing I had that gun in the doctor's bag to go for."

"That first job. I'd have died that day if you hadn't been there," Heyes said softly. "Of course if you hadn't had been you wouldn't be wanted for $10,000 either."

"Not a problem once the amnesty comes through," Kid said shrugging it off, but Heyes wasn't so easily put off.

"You wouldn't be needing amnesty if I hadn't of brought you to Devil's Hole."

Kid considered this, "Maybe, maybe not. Besides we've always been together seemed a shame to split that up."

"Remember today, it is the beginning of always," Heyes said quoting something a lifetime ago.

"You reading poetry again?"

"No, just stealing it."

The two men grinned, "Some things never change," Kid sighed shaking his head, but the smile wasn't lost as they turned the horses into the sunset.

-30-