Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,188
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
916

In The End

Summary:

A funeral and musings

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The day was typical of New York City. Traffic was jammed tight on every available street, people were moving in large groups down the busy sidewalks, and the great sky above threatened snow at any moment.

But for the NYPD, this was no typical day. This was the day they buried one of their own.

Mike Logan, John Munch, Elliot Stabler, Ed Green, Don Cragen, and Rey Curtis, all in full dress uniform, carried the coffin covered with a flag of the United States of America. They carried the coffin into the church ahead of fellow mourners who packed the pews of the church. After the coffin was placed in state, the pawl bearers took their seats amongst their family and friends.

Jack McCoy stepped to the lectern and studied faces in the crowd. Jamie Ross, Abbie Carmichael, Serena Southerlyn, Anita van Buren, Ben Stone, Paul Robinette, Elizabeth Olivet, Emil Skoda, Elizabeth Rodgers, Olivia Benson.

"As I look out among you today, I see the faces of friends, colleagues, co-workers," Jack paused, "I see family, and that's what we are really. A family. It's what we become by doing what we do every day. We fight the good fight, and sometimes we even win," He paused once more, "I tried to think of something meaningful to say today, but I kept hearing Lennie in the back of my head telling me to get over it."

Smiles broke through the tears in the crowd.

"We all lost a friend when we lost Lennie Briscoe. He was always willing to break through the stress with a funny one liner or tell a story that changed the tone of the moment. He could deal with the worst this world has to offer and still end the day with a little laughter. Lennie saw it all during his years on the force, experienced the worst tragedies a father can endure, and lost friends over the years. And yet, Lennie rose above it all. He rose above the tragedies, the degradation of mankind, the call of booze, the loss of friends and family. He rose above all of that to keep fighting the good fight. He rose above all of it to help us all be safer when we go home to our families at night. And for that, Lennie, we'll always be grateful," Jack looked to the crowd with a reassuring smile touching his strained features. He stepped away from the lectern and took a seat.

Don Cragen replaced Jack at the lectern and began softly, "Lennie never really liked big gatherings. He'd be shocked to see us all together now in memory of him," He broke a gentle smile, "But he'd love the idea that we are. Lennie never really let that many people get close to him. He chose a select few that he really let in, and everyone else was kept far enough away for Lennie to feel safe. I was one of the lucky few to truly know Lennie Briscoe. He and I had our differences from time to time, but I always knew that Lennie was the one man I could count on. He might give me flak about it, but he would be there in a pinch. But what I'm going to miss the most about Lennie Briscoe is his companionship. I'm going to miss those midnight phone calls we used to make when we'd each be looking at a bottle and thinking about throwing it all away. I'm going to miss comparing our golf scores over dinner and imported bottled water. I'm going to miss my friend. We're all going to miss you, Lennie," Don finished before he took his seat once again.

John Munch stood before the lectern and looked out amongst the crowd, "Lennie Briscoe wasn't the kind of man that novels are written about. He wasn't the kind of man who wins awards and brags about them the rest of his life. He wasn't the kind of man who took himself so seriously that he forgot to live. Lennie Briscoe was the kind of man you wanted watching your back. He was the kind of man you wanted to share wild theories with. He was the kind of man who could enjoy just living. Lennie Briscoe was the kind of man I wanted as a friend, and I was lucky enough to call him that. Friend. When you think of the word friend, it seems so simple, so forthright that we sometimes forget just how complex a friend can be. My friend was complex. He was street smart, had a wicked golf swing, and had a sense of humor that will never again be matched in this world. He mourned, he laughed, he got angry, he felt pain, he rejoiced in triumph, and he knew what it was to be true to oneself. Lennie, you were one of a kind, pal, and we're never going to forget you."

Anita van Buren took the podium and wiped tears from her eyes, "Lennie and I had a rocky start to our relationship. I got the promotion which a lot of people thought should have belonged to him. I just knew that I would get flak off him from the very first day, and I thought that it would be something I'd never get to live down. But Lennie," She shook her head gently, "Lennie never once told me that I didn't deserve my job, and he told me over and over again that I was a good cop. Coming from most people, that might have seemed like lip service, but from Lennie, it was the greatest compliment I could have ever received," She paused as she wiped tears from her cheeks, "He gave me quite a few headaches while I was his lieutenant, but he never once gave me any hell about my job. In fact, he once told me that he was glad I got the job and he didn't. At the time, I thought he was just being nice, but later, I realized that being a lieutenant would have destroyed Lennie Briscoe. He wasn't management material. He was a street cop in every fiber of his being. He was born to be on the streets, helping people, and getting to the bottom of whatever crime had been committed. He was a good cop," She paused, "No, he was the best I've ever seen and had the pleasure to serve with. I'm going to miss you, Lennie. The NYPD is going to miss you."

The pawl bearers took their places at the sides of the coffin and began the long walk out of the church. As mourners filed out of the pews, tears fell and sobbing echoed through the church.

They lay Lennie to rest near his daughter with a traditional Jewish graveside service.

The day ended. No snow fell from the sky. The people of New York City rushed down the sidewalks, traffic crowded every street, and life continued for those left behind. For the one whose life had ended, a beautiful day of final tribute had come to a peaceful end.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author TinGA.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.