Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
570
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,202

Aftermath 2: The Hardest Thing

Summary:

Disclaimer: Paramount and Viaborg own the Boys, I'm just playing with them. I promise not to lose them. This is different from my normal stuff, guys. Series: TOS Codes: K/S, CD Summary: Saying goodbye is the hardest thing we all have to do. It ain't any different for the Boys.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Aftermath 2: The Hardest Thing
by Omega

A lone visitor beamed down to Veridian III, making his way to the simple cairn of rocks that housed the body of a long-lost legend. A legend by the name of James T. Kirk. The visitor knelt in the sand surrounding the tomb and bowed his head.

The visitor, Ambassador Spock of Vulcan, felt consumed by grief. His captain, his friend, his t'hy'la, was dead. Dead. Beyond the reach of the tattered Bond that called out to him. Spock felt tears well up in his eyes, as he remembered their friendship. Their love.

When Kirk first came to the Enterprise, Spock didn't believe that he would treat him any different than the others did. To the others he was alien, an unwanted presence. Yet, somehow Kirk broke through those barriers, giving Spock the love and respect he hungered for. In return, Spock became his closest friend, the one person he could trust.

Spock reached out and tenderly picked up the ancient insignia that was laying on the tomb of rocks. As he did so, he became lost in other memories.

 

Memories of nights spent in passion. Of battles they fought for each other. Memories of going into Engineering, of sacrificing himself to save his friends. Memories of waking up on Mount Seleya, of not recognizing even his own father's face. Of seeing Kirk, of knowing him. And by knowing him, knowing himself.

Memories of voyages among the stars, of making friends, of being accepted. Memories of obsidian. Memories of gold.

Spock's hand trembled and he dropped the insignia before he crushed it. He began to cry, heedless of the Vulcan restraints that had bound his soul for so long. He cried for Jim. He cried for his shipmates. Finally, he cried for himself.

Eventually, he raised his tear-streaked face. His ears picked up people approaching in the distance. He raised the insignia to his lips. "Jim, t'hy'la, wherever you are, know this: Wherever you are, I am with you. A true Bond can never be broken. True love can never be forgotten." He wiped the tears from his face. "I love you, t'hy'la." He forced the hated word from his lips. "Goodbye."

He rose from the sand and strode into the sunset, ignoring the astonished looks of the people who had come to bring Jim's body back to Earth. One of them noticed that Spock had taken the insignia with him. He turned to his superior. "Can he take that from here?"

Picard nodded. "He most certainly can. At least now he has something to hold on to." Sorrow was in his voice. "It's the least we can do, after all. We--or rather, I caused his bondmate's death. Who are we to deny him anything?"

The crewman nodded, still not completely understanding. Picard saw that. "Young man, you will understand someday. The day you have to leave your beloved behind will be the day you understand." He looked thoughtfully off into the distance. "They say that their exploits were the things that dreams are made of. Well, their love is the thing that can make up a legend." He straightened and took a deep breath. "I say it's about time we brought this legend home."

He led his people to the cairn of rocks held a legacy within. A legacy of triumph. Of sorrow. Of victory. Of defeat. And of love.

 

--Finis--

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Omega.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.