Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,600
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
872

Surprise Surprise!

Summary:

Who knew what and when?

AUTHOR: MMM “Sprite!� Nebulous1, presented by Brimstone Harpy.

DISCLAIMER: The BSG universe and characters are the property of their creators and/or publishers; this story may not be sold or distributed for profit; no copyright infringement is intended.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: By request from a heartbroken newbie, soft and fluffy love-bird Fic. I hope it's not too gooey, I tried to make it fun and still believable. Usually, fair warning, I'm angst and smut, try to keep that in mind!

Work Text:

Title: Surprise, Surprise!
Author: Nebulous1 - Michelle
Date: Sept. 8, 2005
Category: Romance/Drama Slight AU
Rating: FRT, minor swearing, nothing more graphic than kissing
Summary: Who knew what and when?

Acknowledgements: By request from a heartbroken newbie, soft and fluffy love-bird Fic. I hope it's not too gooey, I tried to make it fun and still believable. Usually, fair warning, I'm angst and smut, try to keep that in mind!

Spoiler Warning: Read at your own risk...I'm an idiot about spoilers. I don't THINK there are any, but if so I apologize in advance.

Disclaimers: Thanks for sharing them, Ron! No money for me... I'm just in it for THE ART!!!! *pretentious voice*

 

---------------------------

Surprise, Surprise!

---------------------------

 

"So, Lee..." she smiled, her eyes alight with mischief, "how are we gonna tell him?"

"Oh... Kara, I don't know... this will be really... different."

"You really ARE scared, aren't you Lee? *squeal!* You ARE!!!!!"

Wincing, Lee shook his head in amazement, thinking...

*She did NOT just emit a super-sonic girlie squeal! NO WAY! Not Starbuck!!!*

The very same Starbuck who was skipping (yes, SKIPPING!) merrily down the dim corridor towards his Dad's office...?

*Wow. Gotta be hormones. I wonder if I can get a copy of this security tape?* he mused incredulously, *but I'm not sure if I'd destroy the evidence entirely or keep it for blackmail...*

Blithely unconcerned, Starbuck persisted in darting ahead and then returning at the same annoying -perky- pace, back and forth... at least six or seven times before he'd managed to follow the hallway at a NORMAL pace to the turn they needed.

Eerily echoing his recent thoughts, she bubbled...

"Oh, Lee! This will be SO cute, I wonder if we can record this somehow, your Dad's face will be classic! Frak! I wish I'd thought of that before I told you... YOURS was...."

"YOU didn't tell me..." he reminded her as patiently as humanly possible, "the entire deck crew knew before me...remember?"

Her delirious smile clouded over as she pouted, "That wasn't my fault, Lee, and you know it! Tigh was the blabbermouth who told everyone... I told YOU first, even if you heard it first from someone else..."

He stopped walking, turning to take her hand and drop a gentle kiss on it, "I'm sorry, Kara - I know you tried and I'm very happy... I really am. I'm just a little freaked out here..."

Which started another avalanche of giggles...

Tugging at his hand she admonished him with mock-severity, "Don't be such a sissy, ya big hunka fighter pilot manly-man!" she managed to force out, still unable to quit laughing.

He didn't see what was so hysterical...it wasn't HER Dad!

Then, they were holding hands at the hatch to his Dad's quarters...he took a deep breath...1 - 2 - 3 -

Kara was trying valiantly to school her features into the normal, "Couldn't give a frak less..." attitude, but her smirk kept sneaking through...

"Are you okay?" he asked, looking sideways at her face...she was gripping his hand tightly, white knuckles showing...It was almost as if she was nervous but...

The instant she met his eyes she all but collapsed into another cackling, teary-eyed fit of mirth... Shaking her head, she doubled over to hold her stomach, and slumped to sit down on the floor.

"Dammit, Kara!" His voice was sharper than he'd intended and the uncertain look she was casting up at him now made him feel like a complete bastard...

Just then... she hiccupped...and hiccupped again... and continued....

At the look of childish dismay on her face he finally broke, laughing himself as he sagged down the wall to sit beside her. How she could be such an adorable pain in the ass he would NEVER know, but there she was, all his.

Luckily, their laughter cured the hiccups it'd initially caused...because they had no time to lose!

He put his arm around her and hugged her, "It'll be fine, okay? C'mon, Starbuck, let's do this..."

Getting to their feet, they preened each other, straightening and tucking...then they turned to the door resolutely.

Lee knocked, to his credit, firmly - and his Father and Commander's voice said, "Enter!"

Locking arms, the two stepped inside, and Lee turned to close the door. They'd need privacy for this... as if word wasn't already all over the damn ship...

Standing before William Adama, Lee swallowed past a lump..."Uh, Dad?"

His father's distinctive gravelly voice asked "Yes, son? What can I do for you?"

Looking sideways at each other, still holding hands, they found they didn't know what the Hell they were going to say...or which of them should say it. Now that the moment was here, Kara was just as nervous as Lee was...

Getting no response from Lee, William Adama, looked at the averted face of the woman he'd grown to love as a daughter. She had been like a gift of love from his son, Zak, as if he'd meant her to help fill the space his death had left in his family...

Commander Adama's sharp eyes missed very little... Anyone could see they were both scared to tell him something, "Kara, what is it?" he asked gently...

Looking up immediately with military discipline, she reported, "Sir, there's something we need to tell you, Sir."

"And that would be...?" he asked patiently.

Firming his jaw, Lee blurted out, "Dad, Kara is pregnant...!"

*Well* thought William Adama, *it's about damn time!*

To them he said, "I see, and I assume the child is...my grandchild?"

Which really was a pretty tactful way of saying, "I'm assuming the baby IS yours, Lee?"

As if anyone who knew either of them would think otherwise, regs or no...it was obvious they had it bad for each other. Scuttlebutt around the ship said they'd been sleeping together for about four months now.

He'd decided finally that as long as it didn't cause any problems and they were discreet, he'd continue to mind his own business... As a Father, he was secretly hoping they'd finally come to their senses and quit dancing around each other like prize fighters...

"What are your plans?" he asked, trying very hard to sound impartial.

"Ummm," his son stammered, blushing "S-she has, ah, asked me to marry her..."

"I see," said his Father, amusement dawning in his eyes. He might have known they'd go at this all topsy-turvy, typical of them - but as long as it worked out...

"Lt. Thrace has proposed to you and you said...?"

"Yes, she did....and yes, I said yes, Sir..." Lee knew he sounded like an idiot, but he didn't think anyone else could've done better under the circumstances... and they weren't done yet...

"And," said Kara, smiling tremulously, "that's not all..."

"Really?" Commander Adama's eyebrows rose in disbelief, "What else?"

"TWINS!" the two burst out in unison, giggling nervously to each other...

"Oh my Gods...! Are you serious? Really?" it was as surprised as Kara had ever seen the "old man."

"Yeah Dad, as usual, she just HAD to show off!" Lee teased, "Hey - won't these be the first twins born in the fleet?"

"You're darn right, and I couldn't be happier for you two!" He came around the desk and enfolded first Kara, then Lee in a warmly affectionate hug he never would've attempted a year ago. Life was getting better every day.

Adama opened a cabinet and rummaged about a moment before producing two cigars..."Let's celebrate!"

As Kara reached for one of them, the Commander - her soon to be Father-in-Law, yanked his hand back at the same time as Lee swatted her hand away...She'd never really thought Lee looked much like his Dad before these two equally stern looks fixed upon her...

"No tobacco," said Lee, accepting the cigar from his Father.

"And no alcohol," added the senior Adama.

Kara plopped down on one of the chairs, feeling a bit like she'd been tricked somehow...they really were enjoying this too much. She resolved to be an utter bitch about wierd food cravings to get back at Lee... She'd have to think of something good for his Dad, though...

"When do we get to announce this news?" asked the already proud Grampa Adama.

"Well," said Lee, "Tigh told the flight crew already..."

"Killjoy..." muttered the Commander, causing them both to laugh...

"Well, we can still announce it shipwide on the comm..." Lee consoled, "and you HAVE to see what the crew did to my Viper, Dad...a frakkin' double sidecar made of cardboard and painted to match."

Adama laughed..."Lords! That's good!"

"Yeah, and the callsigns on the side were "Mach 1 and Mach 2"

Both men laughed uproariously at that... and Adama considered forgiving his XO for spilling (some of) the beans...Okay, the sidecar was a great idea!

The men hugged again, "I'm so happy" said Adama, and his son agreed, "Me too...and Dad? I love her so much..."

His Father patted him firmly on the shoulder..."I know you do, son - and she loves you every bit as much."

"Guys...." Kara's voice wobbled and they turned quickly to find her still sitting on the same chair and looking really pale suddenly...

"Are you okay?" asked Lee, getting a little panicky.

"Lee?" she said, "My Gods, there's TWO of them!"

*Ah-hah*...Lee had wondered when the adrenalin rush from their little surprise would wear off. It had to have been a tremendous shock; he really wished he'd been there to see her face...and to hold her hand for that news. He felt sudden empathy for how frightened she must have been, as if he wouldn't be overjoyed to hear it...? *Gods! This is amazing!*

Poor Starbuck, she'd gone in for the normally scheduled flight physical and apparently left a shaking mess...looking for him and wondering how the Hell she could tell Lee she was approximately three months along, pregnant!

Unfortunately, Tigh got ahold of the paperwork very quickly...Seems like, for some reason, Doc. Cottle didn't quite trust the young woman pilot to obey his orders to remain grounded for the duration of the pregnancy... He'd hand-delivered the order personally.

Tigh just assumed the good Doctor would already have informed his old friend that he was soon to be a Grandfather... so he didn't waste the time to call Adama, he had some plans to get underway to celebrate the occasion...and MAN, was he ever gonna give Starbuck Hell!!!

He could hardly wait!!! Saul watched, quite satisfied with their preparations... but his first glance at the look on Lee's face warned the startled XO that all of this was news to him...*Oh, SHIT!* Honestly, he'd thought Lee already knew...

Lee had walked unsuspectingly onto the flight deck, looking in confusion at the party supplies laid out and a big sign that said, "Congratulations Apollo and Starbuck!" And his Viper had what...?

*What the Hell?*

And that was when he discovered he was about to be a Father. He'd never, ever felt simultaneously so elated and terrified at the same time in his life, not even the first time they'd let him fly a real Viper...

*Holy FRAK! Where's Kara?*

Just then, he spotted her walking toward him from the direction of the bunkrooms. She approached him now, after having sought him there, his office and the gym first. The look in her eyes was sheer terror as she noticed her news had preceeded her, but he just smiled his widest smile and ran to pick her up and spin her around...grinning like the very happy man he was...

"So, what's up?" he asked her, just to be a goon.

"Oh, nothing much, dear - just having your twins." she replied casually...

"Excuse me?" he rasped out, freezing in place, "What?"

"Twins..." she said with a wobbly smile, holding up two fingers, "Two!"

They stared at each other, completely at a loss...

"TWO babies?" he finally squeaked out, with his eyebrows raised almost comically...

"Yep," she confirmed, "1-2, twins!"

Chief Tyrol proudly gestured towards the sidecar mock-up on Lee's Viper...

"Cute, Chief... real cute!" he called to him derisively, but anyone could see he was charmed by the gesture. In fact, upon looking at it a little closer he called "Hey Kara, come look! There's even two callsigns on it! This is cool!"

"Lee, please..."

"Kara? he asked, rushing to her side with concern, "How do you feel? Do you want to sit down?"

"Right now..." she admitted, "yes... because I'm in total shock, but if you treat me like an invalid the whole time I swear I'll..."

"I love you, Kara!" he smiled tenderly, and then he kissed her very thoroughly, right in front of everyone.

She relaxed and enjoyed the attention, *Well, it isn't like they don't know we're doing the deed now...

"OH! Wait! Lee!" she pushed at his shoulders urgently... "Where's your Dad?"

"Shit!" he said, looking around..."I don't think he knows! We have to go tell him...C'mon!"

"Wait! Wait just a moment Lee... Come over here...please?"

He returned as she'd requested and she sank gratefully into a chair someone had brought out for her... She pulled at his hand so he knelt beside her and then leaned forward, talking quietly into his ear...

"I know this is a bad time, right in front of everyone, but before we talk to your Dad...I just want to say I love you, and I'm happy to be having your child - CHILDREN," she corrected herself, smiling shyly, "and if you ever decide you want us to get married, I'd be happy to be your wife. I really do love you, Lee - I wouldn't give up my wings for just anyone...

It was her greatest accomplishment, her pride - to be a Viper pilot. But with the pregnancy and taking care of the two infants, it'd be three years before she could even DREAM of stepping back into a cockpit... and even then, it would have to be a Raptor...

"Oh, Starbuck," he sighed, incredibly touched, "I'll love you forever, I've always wanted you to be mine, and I've been yours all along. Yes, I want to marry you more than anything!"

Soberly, he remained as he was, on one knee, still holding one of her hands as he shouted for the room's attention...

"People! Thank you! Thanks for the surprise... Well, actually, I guess I've got TWO surprises coming, don't I?"

All around them their friends laughed and cheered for them...

"I would like to formally announce that Kara and I are getting married, she's gonna make an honest man of me!"

A series of rowdy cheers thundered through the hangar bay!

"Ummm, we'll be right back everyone, start without us - there's something we need to do first..."

And they left together to tell William Adama the happy news.

-The Happy Ending-