Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,017
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
811

Missed Opportunities

Summary:

Disclaimer: I'm only borrowing the people of the Sentinel. They belong to PetFly Productions.
Summary: requested sequel to Destiny Dreams. This is an alternate beginning story.
Submitted through the SenseXangstRevisited mailing list.

Work Text:

Missed Opportunities
By J. Love
jl_foxy@pris.bc.ca

Jim blames himself for the Switchman escape at the lumber yard. His senses were out of control and he had to admit it. It wasn't just an inconvenience anymore. He was tired, both physically and mentally. The dirt from his tumble from the back of the motorcycle was ground into his clothes and was irritating his skin. But what else was new these days.

Jim knocked on Simon's door.

"Come in," Simon called out.

Jim entered to find Carolyn still with Simon. "Uh, I can come back later," Jim said as he moved to step back out of the office.

"No need," answered Carolyn. "I was just leaving." As Carolyn went past Jim in the doorway, she asked. "How are you doing?"

"Uh, fine," stammered Jim, startled that she would even ask.

"Just because we are divorced, it doesn't mean I don't care," Carolyn remonstrated, a little hurt.

"I know Carolyn, I'm just tired," Jim mumbled his version of an apology.

Carolyn smiled slightly accepted the apology. "Take care of yourself Jim."

Jim closed the door behind her and turned to Simon. "I got to take time off," Jim told him desperately.

"Why? Why now? We're in the middle of a big case were the suspect set you up as the target informant within the police. You need to be here."

"I know the reasons for being here, Simon, but I'm loving control. I'm hearing things I can't possibly hear and it feels like my skins on fire." Jim tried to express his feelings.

Simon looked at his loner detective. Jim had worked alone since his last partner disappeared. Simon deliberately didn't think of the detective's name. It brought back bad memories of a good cop who had gone bad; at least the possibility of it. Perhaps it was time to assign Jim another partner. However, Simon decided not to bring up that point yet. "You probably rolled into some chemical or something. A good shower will fix you up." Simon waved a hand indicating Jim's dirty clothes.

"I wish that was all it would take. However, all of my senses are acting up. A shower won't fix that."

"I can't spare you right now, Jim."

"I will resign if I have to, Simon. I can't continue like this," Jim insisted.

Simon decided to offer a compromise realizing how serious Jim was. "Okay, I really can't authorize time off but why don't you take the day and get yourself checked out."

Jim nodded, silently accepting Simon's terms.

"I'll see you back here tomorrow," Simon told Jim.

"Okay," Jim replied and left the office. He grabbed his jacket on the way out.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

In the elevator, Jim leaned against the back wall as it began its slow descent. His attention was grabbed when a young cop and a long haired young man got on. Jim could smell blood and looked over the two men. The young cop was fine and was trying to calm down the young man. Jim saw that he held a wad of paper towels to his head.

"Oh man, I can't believe he did that," the young man said as he winced. "So Stoddard gave me the spot on the anthropology team, it won't help him if he tries to bash my head in. I haven't even accepted it yet."

"Why not?" the officer asked.

"You'll think it's stupid."

"No, I won't Blair," he insisted.

Blair took a deep breath. "I've been having dreams telling me that someone needs my help. I know I can help him but I don't know who he is. Now this had to happen. I don't have a choice now since Patrick is in jail for assault. I'll have to take his class out for their scheduled field trip this week. I just know I'll miss him and I can forget about even joining Stoddard's team since he leaves in two days."

"Well, I can't help you there," the officer replied. "Mr. Silvers will be spending time in jail even if you hadn't pressed charges. There were too many witnesses to the attack."

"I know, I know," Blair said, sighing.

Jim looked carefully at Blair and found the similarities to his dream uncanny. Blair had the same approximate height, long halo of hair and the same strong square hands. Even Blair's voice soothed him as nothing else has recently. Just as Jim was going to say something, Blair and the young officer got off on the main floor and they disappeared into the throng of people milling around.

The elevator door closed and carried Jim down to the department garage level.

Jim considered going back up to find them but then his senses assaulted him again. His skin which had been blissfully itch free while near Blair restarted with a vengeance. The smells of the garage were almost overwhelming in their intensity. The only thing Jim wanted right then was to get out of there. He made his way to his truck and drove out. Driving was difficult with traffic noises and the sun. Everything was too sensitive. Jim drove home and showered. The water felt like nails hitting his skin. This was the last straw. Jim dressed and went to the hospital for tests. Something was wrong with him.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

The doctor put Jim through an intensive series of tests. However, he couldn't find out why he was so sensitive to sound, lights, and smell. He informed Jim of this the next day when he was preparing to go home.

Nurse Simmons had seen Jim's file during the night and had recognized that maybe this was what Blair was looking for. She faxed Jim's file to Blair despite it being against the rules. After all Blair had helped her with free tutoring and maybe he could help Mr. Ellison too especially since the doctors couldn't.

Unfortunately the fax would not be read until Blair came back from the field trip with Silvers' class.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Fate finally decided to be kind and Blair was able to come back five days earlier than planned. When he got to his office, he saw the fax from Nurse Simmons. He grew excited as he read it and was only slightly disappointed when he saw that Jim had been discharged two days ago. He wished Silvers had just held onto his temper. He would have been here when the fax came in. However, it had become apparent why Silvers wasn't picked by Stoddard last week. He had set up a week long field trip but never bothered to get permission from the land owner. Fortunately the land owner had understood when Blair explained everything to him but he still wanted them off his land.

Blair put the Burton book on Sentinels in his backpack and headed for the police station where the chart said Jim Ellison worked in Major Crimes. He wished he had a home address but would make this work.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

 

Blair managed to get to Major Crimes but was directed to Captain Simon Banks instead.

"Captain Banks, I would like to talk to Detective Ellison. I believe I can help him," Blair implored.

"Do you have a lead on the Switchman case?" Simon asked doubtfully.

"Uh, no," Blair admitted. "But it's important that I talk to him."

Simon looked out into the bullpen and saw Jim come in looking haggard. Despite all the tests ran on him, the doctors were unable to help him. The strain was becoming apparent to everyone. Simon made a quick decision and hoped he was right. He picked up the phone and called Jim in.

Jim entered and shook his head. "Sorry Simon, there is nothing new to report."

"Come in, Jim. Mr. Sandburg here says he can help you."

"On the Switchman case?" Jim asked.

"No, with your senses," Blair said, bouncing a little.

Jim looked at the young man from the elevator and was struck again by the similarities to the dream. However, he didn't want to just follow blindly. He knew nothing about Blair Sandburg except he looked like a hippie and was an anthropology teacher.

"Who said I need any help?" Jim demanded.

"I have my ways," Blair replied cautiously. He didn't want to get Nancy in trouble.

Jim narrowed his eyes and coolly said "and what might those be?"

"Uh, a friend told me. Look man, I just want to help. I know I can." Blair dug into his backpack and pulled out Burton's book. "Look at this. It's about people like you. These people all have the genetic advantage of heightened senses. I have studied countless numbers of people with one or two senses enhanced like those who work in perfume or coffee industries. But you, I believe, are the real thing: a sentinel." Blair paused for a breath and opened the book to the monolith of an ancient tribal warrior. "Sentinels scouted for the tribes finding game and water. They also protected against rival tribes."

Simon and Jim looked at the picture and then at each other. They could think of one more example; the Viet Cong scouts, but refrained from mentioning it.

"Are you trying to say I'm some sort of caveman," Jim growled. "Oh no," Blair protested. "I believe you are a modern version of a sentinel."

"What makes you think so?" Jim asked belligerently.

"Why you went to the hospital, you told them you were having problems with high sensitivity to sound, light and smell. However you are also extremely tactile responsive and probably taste as well."

"Tactile responsive?" Jim repeated in a puzzled tone.

"Extra touchy feely," Blair explained.

Simon looked at Jim remembering Jim complaining about how Jim's skin was on fire. Perhaps this kid knew what he was talking about.

"Yeah," admitted Jim reluctantly. "Can you make it go away?"

"No, but I can help you control them. You can be a walking crime lab. Sentinels are meant to protect the tribe and Cascade is your tribe."

"What do you get out of it?" Jim said suspiciously.

"I can write about you in my thesis. I will of course change your name so no one will know it is you."

"How do you propose to do this?" Simon asked.

"If I can it would be best if I could ride along with Jim. That way I can be on hand to help him out with his senses," Blair explained.

"I work alone," Jim protested.

"It's the best way to help you," Blair insisted.

At the same time, Simon told Jim "not anymore." This solved Simon's dilemma about Jim not working alone and saved the hassle of finding a cop partner who could work with Jim.

"Don't I get a say in this or should I just take the work of some neo-hippie witchdoctor punk?" Jim protested, although not too hard. After all, his instincts told him this was the way it was supposed to be: an affirmation of his dream.

Simon shook his head. "No, take your new partner and get his ride-a-long paperwork filled out. You two can start working together immediately," his tone of voice a clear dismissal.

"Fine, come along Sandburg," Jim said as he led the way out.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Simon smiled and dialed Vera down in personnel to expedite the process on Sandburg's ride-a-long status. Now maybe things will settle down and they could catch the Switchman.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Jim watched his soon to be partner fill out the paperwork that had been awaiting for them and relaxed for the first time in a long while. Despite his protests he was glad that Sandburg could help him. He knew this to be true even without any proof. Just being near Sandburg was a calming influence on his senses. He wouldn't mention it to Sandburg but it was nice that some dreams come true. In fact, Jim decided not to mention the dreams at all.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Blair happily filled out the forms that Vera handed him. A chance to study and work with a modern sentinel, his hopes and dreams for this has finally come true.

The End.