Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,556
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,480

A Little Culture

Summary:

A whimsical vignette. The warbled strains of a violin lead Commander Data down a holodeck path where he encounters his best friend and a Stradivarius.

Work Text:

Title: A Little Culture
Author: Poodle
Rating: PG
Summary: A whimsical vignette. The warbled strains of a violin lead Commander Data down a holodeck path where he encounters his best friend and a Stradivarius.

 

 

A Little Culture
By Poodle~

 

Warbled strains of "Mary Had A Little Lamb" quavered through the air. Data cocked his head and listened.

"A computer replicated Stradivarius violin."

He peered through the foliage but could discern no source. With a shrug, he preceded down the holodeck woodland path in the music's direction. Sunlight filtered through a canopy of leaves lacing his feet in shadows. The music grew louder, its intensity replete with screeches of inexperience. He grimaced.

Who?

His foot snapped a twig, and the music abruptly stopped. A stirring he perceived to be computer-generated wildlife briefly drew his attention before he continued into the clearing.

"Geordi?"

The lieutenant looked up in surprise from where he propped against a massive oak. Several feet away, next to the gnarled underbrush, a violin lay unattended. "What are you doing here?" he asked hurriedly.

Data's brow rose. "Walking?"

"I mean, why are you here? I thought you were on the bridge."

"I completed the cataloging of information from the Vanas Two survey." He gestured toward the instrument. "I was unaware of your interest in the violin."

"Can't a guy have a hobby?"

Data moved to where it rested on a carpet of jade. "You are aware, of course, that such a delicate instrument is susceptible to humidity? The varnish, for instance--"

"Yes, mother," he responded testily.

"Are you feeling well?"

"Fit as a fiddle." Geordi flashed him a smile, humor returning. "What brings you to my neck of the woods?"

"I was attracted by your...music."

"Ah, it compelled you into my presence."

The android frowned. "I was intrigued that such sounds could be derived from a violin."

"Thanks for the compliment."

"You desire to master the instrument?"

"A little culture never hurt." The branches of the oak cast a latticework of shadows over Geordi's form.

"It is quite simple, actually." Data bent to retrieve the violin. The clearing of a throat gave him reason to pause.

"For you, maybe." The tone was dry.

"I would be happy to assist."

"I'm doing just fine, thank you."

"But, Geordi." He hesitated, swallowing. "You were doing it...wrong."

"I'll struggle through."

He shrugged and straightened. "The violin is an ancient and noble instrument. Even the ship's computer is unable to replicate a Stradivarius with precise accuracy. Centuries passed before the exact formula he used for the varnish was analyzed and reproduced. Still, the replicas fall short of their predecessors."

"Some things are impossible to artificially reproduce. The Human element, for instance."

"Human element?"

"The indefinable essence that passes from the creator's hands into his creation."

"Most elegantly spoken."

Geordi smiled and cast a glance skyward as a mass of fluffy clouds passed over an artificial sun. "Classical music enriches the soul as well as the mind, my friend."

"Classical?" Data frowned. "'Mary Had A Little Lamb'?"

"Don't knock it. We can't all be instant virtuosos. Unlike some people."

"My proficiency was not instantaneous."

"You don't say? It took the better part of an hour, right?"

"Actually, it took two hours, five minutes. The dexterity and coordination involved-"

Geordi's laughter interrupted the flow of words.

He blinked. "My statement was not meant to be humorous. It really did take two hours, five--"

"You don't get it, do you? Humans take years - a lifetime - to learn such things. And you picked it up in two hours."

"Two hours, five minutes."

The man laughed again. "You'll never know the simple pleasure of striving for perfection, the accomplishment of truly learning."

The golden eyes fell to the violin at his feet. "Is the delight not found in the music itself?"

"Partially. But it's also in the art of creating that music with your own hands. Regardless of whether it's flawless."

"Would perfection not enhance that enjoyment?"

"Only if it's gained through effort. Sometimes there's just as much satisfaction to be found in our failures as in our accomplishments."

In silence, Data's gaze drifted over the subtle grain of the varnished wood, the slightly smudged fingerprints marring its polished surface. "Holmes found it both relaxing and a catalyst for inspiration."

"Good ol' Holmes."

He felt a sudden desire to scoop it up and draw the bow across its strings. But his friend appeared reluctant to accept his assistance. "It is possible you would achieve greater resonance with additional resin."

Geordi smiled. "If I remember correctly, resin always tickled my nose."

"Remember?"

"I studied the violin as a kid. Don't look so surprised. I wasn't half bad, either."

"Perhaps with additional lessons," Data began reluctantly.

Geordi laughed. "Sometimes we must temper our taste with patience for those less skilled than ourselves. I don't suspect the music caused any permanent damage to your ears."

"It did produce a distinctly...unpleasant, sensation," the android responded with hesitancy. "But it is doubtful damage occurred."

Geordi burst into laughter.

"Inquiry. When I first arrived, I surmised that my presence made you." He paused. "Uncomfortable."

The lieutenant sobered, glancing aside.

"I am merely curious. It is a shortcoming I often succumb to. If my observation is offensive, I--"

"That's okay. I'm just not sure how to respond." Geordi drew a breath. "I wasn't expecting you. Some people require more privacy than others when they're trying something they know they aren't very good at. Understand?"

"Ah! Is this an example of Human self-consciousness?"

"You might call it that."

"Do you wish for me to leave?" The golden eyes fell longingly upon the stringed instrument.

The Human grinned. "Toss me that fiddle."

He scooped it from the ground and delivered it smoothly. The bow followed close behind. "The resin?"

Geordi wrinkled his nose. "No thanks." With a deft twist of his wrist, he tightened the bow then drew it across the strings. The initial pitch shrilled then mellowed into a gentle rendition of "Mary Had A Little Lamb."

Data cocked his head and listened as his friend's technique improved with each stanza as if awakening a finely honed skill locked deep in his past.

As the simple tune flowed to its finale, Data's eyes widened. "It would seem the violin is much like the proverbial balancing on a bicycle."

A frown creased the dark forehead. "You've lost me."

"One never forgets."

Geordi smiled. "I can tell that you're itching to get our hands on this." He tossed it back. "Your turn."

He regarded the instrument in silence before meeting the Human's gaze. "I believe I shall pass."

"But I thought that you wanted to dazzle me with your style."

The android's expression grew solemn. He shook his head. "I believe I understand now."

"Understand?" Geordi crossed the distance and stood beside him.

"Why you derive a sense of accomplishment from such a simple tune. It is the same satisfaction I discovered in "Pop Goes The Weasel.'"

"Come again."

"Because you are Human, such talent is achieved only through years of dedication. Because I am an android, it comes almost without effort. On the other hand, you find whistling effortless. But I have great difficulty mastering even a simple child's tune." The corners of his mouth tipped in a subtle smile. "No, I shall pass, my friend." He presented the violin.

Geordi looked uncertain. "Are you sure you won't play?"

"Doubtless, your capacity to whistle would easily surpass mine. But it is equally doubtful you would glean as much satisfaction from the effort." He shook his head. "I am sure."

Geordi accepted the instrument in silence. His visored vision moved over it pensively. "You enjoy the violin, don't you?"

Data seemed bewildered by the question. "Yes," he answered softly.

The lieutenant smiled. "I always felt it took a certain sensitivity to truly appreciate the quality of such a fine instrument. I was right."

Data returned the smile. "Thank you, Geordi. But I am dubious as to whether Holmes would classify as -sensitive," and he appreciated the violin."

"You might be surprised to discover the depth of passion found beneath an otherwise rugged exterior."

"Many conflicting attributes possessed by Humans are confusing. It should not prove difficult to surprise me."

Geordi laughed. "I suppose not. Perhaps someday I can give you whistling lessons."

"Perhaps. But for now, I shall leave you to your endeavors."

"Thanks, buddy."

The android turned and exited the glade.

Geordi watched his friend's retreating form until it disappeared from even the infrared spectrum of light. The melodic trill of robins filled the hush that fell. With a sigh, he laid the violin aside.

The underbrush rustled. A hulking form stepped into view.

Calloused hands gently retrieved the instrument from the ground. Touching its varnished grain almost reverently, they brushed away the excess resin.

Geordi gave the other a grin then propped against the massive oak and sank to the ground. Languishing in its shade, he crossed his legs at the ankles and laced his hands behind his head. "Okay, Worf, let's take it from the top."

~End