Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
393
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,294

I Just Called To Say

Summary:

Fandom: Buffy

Pairing: Xander/Buffy

Rating: FRC

Summary: Xander makes a life changing call

Note: Very short, written as a SwapAFic piece to the 0oBuffyXanderFanfictiono0_2 group

Work Text:

I Just Called To Say
by PEJA

Xander shoveled coins into the coin slot and listened as the clicks and whirs connected his call.

"...lo?" The voice on the othe end of the line was sleepy and distant.

Not a big surprise at four in the morning. She would have just gotten to bed a couple hours ago from the nightly patrol, if even that long ago.

"Hello?" the voice was suddenly alert. Suspicious. "Is anyone there?" there was a pause that seemed to go on a lifetime. "I know you're there, pervert. I can hear you breathing."

He raked shaking hands through his dark hair, trying to subdue the wild strands as if she could see him, could read the nervous dread sweeping through him as he listened to her sweet voice. "Buff..." He spoke in a breathy whisper.

"Xander?"

Xander nodded, then realized she couldn't hear a nod and said, voice cracking, "Yeah."

"Xander...?" he could hear the rustle of her sitting up in bed. "Why are you calling so late? Are you okay?...Xander, tell me where you are? How bad are you hurt?"

"Not."

That cut off her rapid stream of words for an instant. Xander could virutally hear the confusion whirling in her head.

"What?" she demanded. "Not what?"

Xander swallowed past the lump in his throat. "Not ....hurt?"

"But then...?"

"I..." Xander drew a deep breath and spat out, "I love you, Buffy." the words out, stole the strength from his legs and he slumped back against the phonebooth walls, slipping into a half squat.

"Love me?" Buffy's words held a hint of laughter. "I love you too, Xan. You're one of my best friends in the world."

"Not friend love," Xander protested. "Jump in front of the bullet love. Happily ever after love. Till death do us part love. You know. Love love." The stillness on the other end of the line spoke louder than words to Xander's ears. "Oh...a...'Kay, bye."

 

The click on the other end of the line stunned Buffy and for a long moment she stared at the phone. A tear crept down her cheek as she clutched the dead phone to her chest. "I love you to, Xan," she whispered softly in the darkness. "I...love you too."

end