Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
6,344
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
932

Healing Get Away

Summary:

"The pickup turned off the highway onto a gravel road, bouncing through a big pothole; Blair grimaced and slowed down at the same time as he heard Jim's leg cast hit the door. Seeing more potholes, he quickly stepped on the brake forcing Jim to grab the dash to stop his forward momentum. "

Work Text:

Healing Get Away
by Tina

The pickup turned off the highway onto a gravel road, bouncing through a big pothole; Blair grimaced and slowed down at the same time as he heard Jim's leg cast hit the door. Seeing more potholes, he quickly stepped on the brake forcing Jim to grab the dash to stop his forward momentum.

Blair looked at the passenger as the truck slowed. "Sorry about that, Jim, I didn't know about the rough road." Blair noticed the gravel had disappeared and there was nothing more than a two rutted path to drive on.

"What road, Sandburg, even I can't see more than a wide path here," Jim complained. "Are you sure you are going in the right direction?"

"Yes, I am sure," Blair answered, leaning forward in the fading light of the cloudy day. It wasn't too far now, he hoped. Feeling bad for bouncing Jim around, Blair kept to a slow speed. According to the directions Simon had given him there would be a slight bend in the road and then they should be able to see the cabin.

Jim was trying to keep his broken leg from banging on anything as he also watched the road for potholes. Blair saw the rock but when he swerved to miss it, he bounced through another hole; Jim's cast covered arm hit the door. The truck bounced once more just as the curve in the road came into sight.

"Oww, hey, Sandburg, at this rate I may as well have stayed in Cascade. It would have been safer," Jim growled not looking at the man driving. "You wreck my truck and you're paying for the repairs."

Blair sighed as the cabin came into sight. Jim had been an absolute bear ever since he had come home from the hospital, not that Blair blamed him, with two casts and a bullet hole all on his right side.

Jim had seen the cabin too, and of course commented. "It's about time; it's going to take a few days just to get over this ride."

A few minutes later Blair stopped the truck, put it in park, turned off the engine then he faced his passenger; glaring at him. He couldn't help himself; Jim hadn't let up ever since he had come around in the ER and taken his first look at his partner. "Damn, when did you start talking so much."

"You must be ecstatic," Jim snapped back.

"It's going to be a long two weeks," Blair mumbled, knowing Jim had heard him.

Jim opened his door and reached for the crutch lying between them. Blair made a quick grab for it. Their eyes met.

"Jim, you're not going to do anything stupid like getting out of this truck without my help, right?"

They stared steadily at each other until Jim let go of the crutch, giving it a shove.

Blair got out, shaking his head at the childishness of Jim's behavior. Taking the crutch, he walked around the front of the truck and handed it to Jim.

Blair put his arm around Jim's waist as Jim removed the sling, placed the cast covered arm on Blair's shoulder and slid down to land, not so gently, on his good leg.

Blair mumbled, "Sorry."

Jim didn't answer. They moved slowly forward towards the front door. Blair was relieved there were no steps. Once they arrived at the door, Blair fumbled in his pocket for the key. Finding it, he unlocked the door and they both entered the room, barely making out details in the dim interior. Guiding Jim to the couch, he set him down slowly. Moving the coffee table closer, he grabbed a pillow from the corner of the couch, and put it on the table and gently lifted Jim's right leg onto the pillow. As he did, he noticed Jim's half closed eyes. Picking up another pillow, he placed it on Jim's lap and placed the cast-covered right arm on it. "Simon said his friend had stocked the cabin with food. Before I unload the truck, can I get you anything, Jim?"

"Just a glass of water and a pain pill," He answered quietly.

"Sure Jim, I'll get them out of the truck first thing. Hang on, I'll be right back." Blair was already out the door as he spoke. Jim must be hurting if he asked for his pain medication; that also meant he didn't have control of his senses. He should check with him when he gave him the next dose anyway. `Sure and watch him take your head off like every other time since he got home.' Lifting the tarp covering the back of the truck, he pulled out and carried as much as he possibly could; at least they didn't have to bring food. He hurried back, dropping everything just inside the door. Finding Jim's bag, he dug out the prescription bottle then he headed into the kitchen and turned on the lights. After opening a few cupboards, he finally found a glass. Filling it with water he hurried back to Jim, who had his eyes closed. Blair stood watching Jim, wondering if he was asleep and if he should wake him to give him the medication.

"I'm awake it's just too much effort to open my eyes," Jim said softly.

Blair waited for Jim's eyes to open just enough to see the pill and take it from him, after which he moved Jim into a prone position on the couch and covered him with the quilt draped over the back.

After he moved everything into the cabin and put it away, he checked the cupboards for food and decided canned soup and bread would have to do. He knew Jim would want to go to bed right after he ate. It had been a long day; Jim having been in the hospital for two days and home for one before Simon had the idea of the two of them leaving town to make sure they rested. The case that had landed Jim in this condition had been long and stressful and they could both use some time away from everyone.

Blair was just reaching for the bowels when he heard the quiet groan, looking over he saw the quilt being moved. He quickly hurried over to see what he could do to help.

"Bathroom," Jim said as Blair helped him up onto his feet, handing him the crutch.

"It's not too far, and then how would you feel about sitting at the table and having some soup and what seems to be homemade bread?"

"Sounds good, Sandburg, but then its bed time for me."

He stood Jim in front of the toilet, made sure he was balanced on the crutch and then he went to wait outside. He tried to be as unobtrusive as he could, knowing Jim didn't like him hovering. Blair knew that was why he was so cranky and it would be a long six weeks with both casts on followed by at least a month to build up the unused muscles.

Hearing the flushing of the toilet, he opened the door slowly to let Jim know he was coming. Jim waited, and with Blair's help they moved to the sink to wash up.

Sitting at the table, Jim was as comfortable as Blair could make him, his leg on a pillow on a chair, his arm back in the sling. Neither spoke as they ate. Jim was tired and Blair, not sure these days what would set him off, had opted to stay quiet as well.

"I'm going to make your bed while you finish then I'll come get you and we'll forgo the sponge bath." Blair waited, when Jim didn't answer he shrugged his shoulders and silently moved to find the linens and make Jim's bed. He knew Jim was dreading the sponge bath and Blair made an executive decision and canceled it for now. To be honest he was as uncomfortable giving the sponge bath as Jim was having it done.

Blair came out of the bedroom and stopped. He studied his partner and felt bad for the man who was normally a force to be reckoned with and now sat helpless in the chair. Seeing the exhaustion on Jim's face, Blair felt such compassion his chest tightened. Slowly, he walked towards Jim and gently spoke, "Let me get you to bed." Helping him stand up and placing the crutch into position was getting to be second nature to the both of them already. Blair placed his arm tightly around Jim's waist and they slowly headed forward to the bedroom. Making sure Jim was balanced on the crutch, he quickly turned down the bed. When he stood back up and faced Jim, he found the stubborn man trying to pull down his track pants with one hand while trying to keep his weight off the broken leg. Blair reached to steady him as he saw Jim about to tumble. Blair slipped his arm around Jim's waist to help him sit down on the bed before removing the pants the rest of the way. Moving the crutch out of the way, he waited for Jim to remove his sweat shirt, after which Blair helped him lie down and covered him.

"Anything else you need before I leave?"

When he didn't get an answer, he walked back to the bed and sat on the edge facing Jim. "I know this isn't easy for you but I am here to help."

Blair watched as Jim went to roll over and was stopped by the weight of his cast. Blair got up and left the room.

Standing at the sink doing the dishes, Blair felt sorry for Jim, and he knew Jim would hate that so he tried to think of ways he could make Jim's situation less embarrassing. He wished Jim wouldn't feel that way but that was who Jim was -self reliant to a fault. Putting the last bowl in the cupboard he closed the door, hung up the towel and headed to bed.

*******

Blair slowly opened his eyes and wondered what had woken him since the sun was barely up. He rolled over and closed his eyes once more.

"Sandburg."

He stifled the desire to groan since Jim would hear him and he was not going to give him any ammunition to not ask for help. He pushed the covers off and put his feet on the floor, rubbing his eyes trying to get them to focus. "Coming, Jim," he finally muttered.

When he arrived in Jim's room he found Jim anxious to get out of bed.

"Bathroom," Jim said.

"Right, you need something for pain too?" Blair asked as he picked up the crutch and placed it under Jim's left arm while holding him upright.

"Not yet," Jim answered. It seemed he had his senses back under control after a nights sleep.

After they had both performed their morning ablutions, Jim was placed on the couch with his leg on a cushion and a book in his hand while Blair was in the kitchen looking for the makings of breakfast. He would have to ask Simon who had stocked this place, it was definitely not anyone with healthy eating on their mind. What was with the baloney? Blair looked at it, smiled and threw it out on the counter with the eggs already there. Maybe he could get a smile out of Jim. He'd heard of the Newfy breakfast; this might be a good time to try it.

Having put the breakfast on the table, he went to get Jim. As soon as Jim sat down he looked at his plate and scowled. Picked up his fork and poked at the baloney. "Sandburg, what the hell is this?"

Blair's face broke into a smile hoping to change Jim's perspective. "Newfy breakfast. I thought you might like it since its basically junk meat with fried eggs and hash browns."

"You mean this actually has a name?" Jim growled in reply.

"Try it man, you might like it. Maybe we should bring our own food next time. I know Simon was trying to help."

Jim tried it and nodded which made Blair think it was a good time for a suggestion. "How about after breakfast you get some fishing in and maybe catch supper for us."

Jim grunted which Blair took as confirmation.

After they had eaten, Blair helped Jim out to the water's edge which could be seen from the cabin. Making him comfortable on a log, he ran back to the cabin for the fishing equipment. "You going to be okay here? Anything else you need? If you need me shout if I don't hear you um..." Blair looked around while Jim baited his hook. "How about banging this stick on the tree and I'll be right out. I think I'll hear...." Blair quit talking when he noticed he was being ignored. "Yeah." He said to himself as he walked away a few steps and stopped to look back. Then he hurried to get the breakfast cleaned up and join Jim outside.

Half an hour later having finished dishes and making the beds, he went outside on the deck his eyes automatically focused on where he had left Jim. Jim wasn't there. That just figured the covert ops in Jim was testing his limits again. Blair walked over and looked at the fishing equipment and shook his head. He did what everyone always does when someone is missing first you shout there name and then run in a circle wondering what to do.

Blair finally started looking at the ground and noticed the print of the crutch in a little patch of dirt and headed in that direction calling Jim every few feet until it dawned on him that if Jim was trying to get away from him he wouldn't answer. Blair stopped to think about that, if he left on his own and he was after all a grown man he could probably get back on his own.

His mind went over the incident that had led them here. Jim up on the small wooden platform leading out of the old building and the shooter up on the roof with a perfect aim the instant Jim had stepped out. Blair shouted `shooter on the roof' as Jim looked up and his gun went up and he pulled the trigger, that's when the wooden railing had broken and Jim had fallen, landing on some metal garbage below, breaking his right leg and his right arm and on top of it all the shooter got off a shot that went through Jim's right shoulder.

"Ellison your stubbornness is going to kill you this time." Blair mumbled as he lost the crutch print in an intersection of animal tracks. "Damn." He said in frustration; more loudly he added "Ellison where the hell are you?" Listening carefully for the answer he knew was not going to come but hoping just the same.

`Which way would he have gone?' Checking out both paths carefully, he decided the left one looked straighter and besides it was level; the right one had a rise a few yards in. He followed it and was rewarded with a crutch print. Smiling he followed the path, even finding a broken branch as he walked.

Jim wasn't hiding obviously but still why would a wounded man take off like this, it was just stupid. He knew Jim was depressed and had been ever since he had come home from the hospital and he also knew it was because he couldn't take care of himself and was totally dependent on someone and he hated it. He had refused to ask Blair for help until he had taken a serious fall on one of his lonely maneuvers towards the kitchen for a snack. After that, he had begrudgingly asked for help. Blair came to a stop when the path suddenly ended with a hundred foot drop straight down. Blair's first thought was which way had Jim gone, knowing Jim would have seen the drop sooner than he had. Turning he had just started back when he thought he should look over the edge just to be sure.

Grabbing hold of a sturdy branch he leaned over the edge carefully. Jim's senses where probably not working well, since he probably had them turned down due to the pain. He almost missed the grey area that was Jim since his grey sweats blended in with the gravel he was laying on.

"Jiiiim!" Blair shouted looking around for a way down knowing he needed to get the injured man back up as well. Walking a good twenty feet to the right he found no way down. He went back and tried left. This time, he tried a few more feet as the ground slowly slanted downward. He finally found a place which slopped gently down into the ravine and he ran down and back to where he had seen Jim. Oblivious to the branches as they slapped into him a few cutting his face as he ran as fast as he could.

Finally he arrived at Jim's side he hunched down and touched Jim's face gently. "Jim...Jim, I'm here." He checked Jim over carefully, hoping to find nothing worse than the bump on his head, but he also knew just because he couldn't see anything that there weren't more serious injuries.

Blair looked around and in the quiet he heard a stream somewhere. He pulled out his t-shirt and ripped a good size piece off and headed towards the sound hoping that a cold cloth on Jim's head would bring him around. It better, he didn't have another idea at the moment. He didn't want to move him until he was conscious and able to tell Blair where he was hurt.

Finally he arrived at the stream and bent down quickly wetting the t-shirt, with out ringing it out he hurried back to Jim. Kneeling down he put the cold cloth on Jim's neck. "Come on Jim open your eyes. Jim do you hear me?"

Finally Blair was rewarded with a groan. "That-a-boy, now open your eyes and let me see if you have a concussion," he said rubbing Jim's cheek. "Jim...hey...talk to me."

There was another groan and Jim lifted his good arm. "Sandburg."

"Yeah it's me. How are you feeling? Take a few minutes and make sure you don't have new injuries." Blair watched as Jim closed his eyes for a minute.

"Just some new bruises added to the mix, "Jim answered trying to sit up.

Blair helped him sit then held him steady for a few minutes before letting go.

Blair looked around for the crutch. Seeing it a short distance away, he went to get it. "Let me know when your ready to get up and out of here."

"Why not now?" Jim said immediately.

`Why not? Blair thought heaven forbid Jim was normal and wanted to let his injured body rest for at least a half an hour.' "You don't have to prove anything here, man. We can take sometime and let your body rest from the fall."

"Sandburg, why are you questioning everything I say? Who died and left you in charge?" Jim growled at him trying to get up on his own.

"I do not do that and if you want to start, fine we'll get started. Let me help you up." Blair reached to help Jim to his feet, though once on his feet he had to lean on Blair for a few minutes to get his equilibrium.

"You ready now? Here put this under your arm," he said giving Jim one of the crutches. "When you're ready we'll start moving. No hurry." Blair said his arm tightly around the other mans waist.

Jim would never admit how much he did hurt but Blair knew he was hurting when they started moving, because he was leaning heavily on him. They moved forward and he knew Jim was in serious trouble physically. He had been stupid to take off like that but he had to prove to himself he could do it.

Blair stopped at the spot he had chosen to get out of the ravine. They both looked up at the slight incline and a groan escaped Jim's lips.

"Jim, tell me you have the pain turned down." Blair said.

The answer was a slight shake of Jim's head.

"Oh man, you must be hurting bad. Let me help." Blair placed his free hand on Jim's face. Feel that? Turn it down until you can barely feel it." Blair watched Jim close his eyes and concentrate. When he opened them Blair could see they where a little clearer. "Better." He asked.

"Much." Jim answered.

"That doesn't mean we can act like you have no pain; it will just let you move easier for now. Let's get this show on the road. Slow and steady should do it. I'm not sure how we are going to make it up this hill." Blair said as he stopped at the bottom of the slope. "It doesn't look like much when you have two good legs. Any ideas Jim?"

"Just walk up it, we can do it." Jim took a deep breath and they started upwards.

It took only a dozen steps before they both realized unless you had two good legs and good balance there was no way they would succeed. Even the few trees didn't help since Jim probably weighed too much for most of them, so using them to pull on wouldn't help. It took all Blair's strength to keep them both upright, with the cast-covered leg and the crutch not helping in any way.

Jim made to sit and Blair helped him down and then Blair did the same. Pulling up his knees he rested his elbows on them and looked around. "This is a nice place, to bad we can't enjoy it but maybe when you feel a little more up to it we can sit at the top and have a picnic."

"Men don't picnic Sandburg." Jim said categorically.

Blair decided not to argue with him at this point and just waited quietly knowing Jim would have an idea soon.

Sure enough.

"Why don't you pull me up with the crutch I have one good arm. With the pain dialed down like this I'll be fine."

"We can try it."

"It's only about sixty or so feet to the top, piece of cake." Jim said.

Blair got up as he said. "All right then, lie down and hang on and if anything hurts you tell me and we stop."

"Sure." Jim agreed as he slowly turned and lay down on his stomach.

Blair stood above Jim and reached down the crutch so Jim could grab it like a handle while Blair had the straight end to pull with. Blair started gently pulling and knew Jim was letting him do all the work.

Blair crested the hill breathing hard band sat down pulling Jim up next to him and as he did he saw Jim's dirt covered face. He tried not to laugh as he asked. "How are you doing?"

Jim sat down next to Blair. "Not to bad considering I just came up on my stomach."

"Let me know when your ready and we'll get started again."

They'd been sitting for about ten minutes when Jim said. "Let's finish this trip."

After getting Jim up they headed slowly back to the cabin. It was slow going but steady and when the cabin came into sight they where both relieved.

Blair helped Jim to the deck and sat him down. "You know man, you are filthy. How about we take your sweats off out here?"

"Sure." Jim agreed as he started removing his good arm from the sleeve.

"Here, let me." Blair said. Relieved, when Jim easily capitulated and let Blair do the undressing and help him inside for a thorough washing.

Once he had Jim seated on the closed toilet seat he filled the sink with water. "Before we get started I'm going to get you some pain meds."

He hurried out and came back with a glass of water as well. At the sight of Jim sitting on the toilet seat eyes once again closed, Blair stopped and took a deep breath at the sad picture one-he never wanted to see again.

Jim opened his eyes and looked at his partner. "Yeah, it hurts, Sandburg, my senses are out of control again but the pain meds should help. Let's get my bath over with."

Blair quickly moved forward and Jim just opened his mouth and let Blair pop the pill in and handed him the water which Jim took and drank until it was finished. Putting the glass down beside the sink.

Blair rung out the wash cloth and started washing Jim, who just sat with his eyes closed and let it happen. Blair noticed the slight tremor in the man's body and tried to hurry.

When he had washed everywhere but what the boxers covered, Blair stopped and thought about leaving well enough alone.

Jim opened his eyes. "It's okay if you help me get them off. I'll wash myself. Just give me the cloth and a little privacy."

Blair stuttered, "Ssure Jjim good idea, I-I'll jjust get you a clean set of sweats while you do that, yell when your ready."

He helped him stand and once Jim had hold of the counter Blair pulled down the boxers and Jim sat back down so they could be pulled all the way off. Both men blushed.

Blair, taking the boxers with him, quickly left.

Blair waited outside the bathroom until he heard, "you can come in now, Blair."

Blair went in to see Jim sitting, determination on his face, as their yes met.

Squatting down in front of Jim, he placed both feet in the clean sweats and helped Jim stand to finish pulling them up. He began helping him with the shirt when he realized there was a problem. The cast wouldn't fit in the sleeve.

"Cut it." Jim said.

Taking the shirt off Jim, Blair cut the sleeve. It was rather ragged. He held it up for Jim's inspection. They both smiled at the mess the pocket knife had made of the shirt. Blair put the cast through first while Jim did nothing what so ever for himself. Blair hoped that was because he trusted Blair totally and not because he was giving up. Once a man like Jim gave up it just couldn't be good.

Blair looked at the slumped figure of his best friend, his eyes welling up with tears. Good thing Jim's senses where out of control or he would know how hard this is for me.

"Ready, Jim? Let's get you to bed," Blair gently said as he leaned down and put his arm around Jim and pulled him up. Blair's heart sank when Jim leaned all his weight on him and didn't notice when Blair almost lost his balance and fell backwards into the tub.

Catching a hold of the towel rack which for once someone had put up solidly, and balancing himself with his burden, he slowly moved out of the room, angling them out so he wouldn't catch any of Jim's casts on the doorway.

"Jim, man, can you help a little here? I really don't want to drop you." He felt a slight difference in the weight and tried to move a little faster before they both fell.

Lowering Jim slowly into the bed, he waited for Jim to lie down and then he lifted his legs onto the bed and covered him.

Standing at the kitchen window he stared at the fishing rod still propped up at the side of the lake. Someone should catch some fish today,' he thought and he went outside and headed towards the fishing rod.

Two hours later Blair had caught two fish and was in the process of cleaning them when he heard a bang and crash and the sound of breaking glass in the bedroom. He dropped the fish into the sink, dried his hands and hurried into the bedroom where he found Jim with his cast-covered leg on the bedside table and lamp on the floor. The arm with the cast was over his head in an awkward position.

He wanted to laugh but the look on Jim's face wiped that idea right out of his head. "Jim, what the hell are you doing in here trying to destroy the place?"

"Sandburg, I'm in pain here." Jim said most certainly not laughing.

"I don't doubt it. If you wanted to rest your leg on the bedside table you should have called me. I would have moved the lamp for you." Blair said sotto voice.

"Sandburg." Jim growled.

"Yes Jim," he said innocently.

"I was trained to be patient while I wait for the right moment for an adversary and believe me, it will be worth it if you don't help me soon," Jim said threateningly.

"Sorry, Jim, sure let me help you. How did you manage this anyway?" Blair swung Jim's leg slowly back onto the bed. "I'll have to get a broom and sweep up the broken bulb."

Jim nodded and waved his hand towards the door, motioning for Blair to go ahead. Jim watched as his friend swept the floor and checked carefully to see if there were any stray pieces around. When he was satisfied, he left the room with the broom and dustpan.

Blair came back and helped Jim stand up and handed him the crutch. "Okay, Jim?"

"Fine Sandburg, I'm going outside to sit on the deck," Jim said and headed slowly off.

Blair watched as Jim stubbornly proceeded out of the bedroom. It had to hurt since he was still supposed to be taking it easy and the long walk and fall had not done the leg any good.

Following slowly behind Jim as he left the bedroom, Blair opened the screen door for Jim to go outside. When Jim was seated Blair went back to cleaning his fish.

Once he had the fish cooked and had roasted some potatoes he put it all in the oven to keep warm while he went outside on the deck and sat down.

"Jim, man we need to talk, and don't make that face."

"Fine, Sandburg, you want to talk you go ahead and talk. I'm listening." His jaw muscles were sliding over each other they were clenched so tight.

Blair just stared at the man sitting in front of him, "Come on, man, don't so this. I'm here to help you and we are here to get you some much needed rest. Don't fight everything I try to do for you."

Jim stared out at the lake not moving or saying anything.

"Damn it Jim, I know you're wishing I would leave you alone and I should but because I care I'm not going to." At the sight of Jim's tight jaw. Blair stood so suddenly the chair fell off the deck, "Aww hell, yes I am," He ignored it and went inside.

As he put the supper on the table, he slammed every thing he got his hands on. "Jim dinners ready and I know you can hear me, yours is getting cold."

Taking his plate of food and a glass of milk he headed towards the front porch and sat on the stoop to eat his dinner. He had never felt so helpless in his life, the urge to leave the bull headed sentinel at the cabin alone was strong.

Picking at his fish, he sighed and put the plate down beside him as he looked out at the brush, the trees and the truck. Pulling his knees up, he rested his arms on them and placed his chin on top of his arms. This was such a quiet pretty place and neither of them was getting any enjoyment out of it. Things couldn't be any worse. If the man needed help he would have to ask for it he wasn't offering anymore. Having made the decision, he picked up his plate and ate his dinner and drank his milk because he knew he was going to need his strength to match wits with his Sentinel. When he was finished he went inside to clean up.

Jim's plate was not on the table or in the sink. He looked around and spotted Jim outside with the plate on his lap. He was not going to go out there and get it. Let the stubborn fool bring it in himself.

Putting all the dishes in the sink, he added soap and ran the hot water over them. He wondered how Jim had taken the plate out there without spilling it but the man was nothing if not determined.

He could see Jim through the kitchen window probably zoned. As the thought formed, he stopped and closely looked at him and groaned. "Well so much for ignoring him."

He stomped outside, not caring that he was behaving childishly. He had just had it, he would just get himself yelled at, but he had to bring him out of the zone.

He shouted, "Hey Jim."

Jim jerked as he came out of the zone and the plate slid off his lap.

Blair caught the plate before it hit the deck. "Where you zoning?" He asked innocently.

"No, no, just in deep thought." Jim answered as he rubbed his good hand over his face.

"Okay, then." Blair went back inside and did the dishes, watching Jim the whole time. He felt sympathy for him but there was only so much he could put up with and his limits had been reached.

After all the dishes where done and put away, Blair pulled out a book and headed towards the sofa and made himself comfortable.

Blair woke up to a totally dark house.

He jumped up and knocked his shins on the coffee table. "Ow, damn it." He sat back down and listened. He couldn't hear anything.

Getting up carefully, he headed in the direction of the light switch. Finding the wall, he felt around until he found the switch and flipped it on. His eyes took a few seconds to get used to the brightness. He headed towards Jim's bedroom and peaked in. Yes the man was asleep.

Blair went to lock up only to find it had been done already. Jim needed control and Blair was going to give it to him now that Jim had proved he could do it himself. Blair wasn't sure what to feel about the tantrum he had thrown for his own benefit since Jim sure hadn't known how close he had come to being here alone.

Tomorrow could only be better than today.

***

Blair woke up to the smell of coffee. He smiled and stretched sensually as he enjoyed the smell. He shot up in bed as he recognized the other smell. Bacon? "What the hell." He fell out of the bed tripping over the quilt and slamming into the door.

Coming to a sliding halt in the kitchen, he watched as Jim hobbled over to the table and put down a plate of bacon, eggs and toast. Jim didn't say anything but there were two plates of food on the table.

Blair moved to the bathroom and took care of the morning routine before he sat himself down at the table. He noticed there was a mug of coffee now joining his meal. He looked at Jim who was sitting facing him across the table.

"Jim, thanks for breakfast," Blair said gently, "but you must have your pain dial turned down to zero and that is not a good idea. You can hurt yourself and not know it. Please turn them back up to at least just under normal."

"I know what I'm doing and I won't hurt myself, in fact the way I see it, I'll heal just as fast and won't have to take pain killers or feel the pain, I should have thought of it sooner.

"What if you do something to it and not feel it?" Blair asked, the concern showing in his eyes.

Jim sighed loudly, "What if I turn up the dials three times a day. You can be with me, and if things are worse then I'll adjust it."

"Sure, we can try that. In fact I have to admit it sounds like a good idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it." Blair said a little smile turning up the corners of his mouth. "One thing though-you stay off the leg and I'll do the cooking around here you relax."

"It's a deal, now lets eat breakfast before it gets any colder."

They smiled at each other and picked up their forks.

end