Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-03-10
Words:
1,602
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
10
Kudos:
31
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
3,440

Postcard Series

Summary:

The day after Speed's funeral a postcard arrived...

Disclaimers and Beta list can be found on my author's info page.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Miss You In Miami

Chapter Text

~*~

Horatio Caine hid his pain-filled blue eyes behind his dark sunglasses. They had buried Timothy Speedle yesterday. His friend, colleague, lover. Except no one knew about their love affair. Speed had wanted to keep it a secret. He didn’t want Horatio’s career jeopardized.

Horatio would give it all up just to have him back. Just to hold him again. He would retire to some quiet stretch of beach. Have Speed in his arms as they rocked in a hammock and listened to the ocean waves.

But those dreams were gone. His lover had died in his arms. All because he didn’t clean his gun. Horatio swallowed the anger and pain. He didn’t understand. Why? He thought Speed understood the importance of it. Did he not love Horatio enough? Did Horatio not love him enough?

“Lieutenant Caine.” The receptionist gave him a sad smile. “Mail for you.”

“Thank you Rachel.” He grabbed the mail and headed for his office.

He sat down at his desk and looked through the mail; sighing at the various departmental memos, tossing the sympathy cards from people who didn’t understand or care, and sorting out the invoices. He stopped at the postcard.

He looked at it with confusion on his face. It was a typical tourist postcard. A white beach with a palm tree and the words ‘Miss you in Miami’ written out in the wet sand.

He turned it over. It was blank except for the address to him at the lab, but what shocked him was the handwriting. It was Speed’s. Tears pricked at his eyes, knowing his lover he had sent it as a joke, something to make him laugh. But then something caught his eye. The date. It was mailed the day of Speed’s funeral.

~ The End ~
~ Or is it ~