Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
975
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
3,461

Attack - Epilogue

Summary:

fandom: NCIS
pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo, Kate/Abby
rating: PG13
series: Attacked
sequel to: Parts 1-5
spoilers: none
feedback: yes, please!
archive: let me know!
summary: All's well that mostly ends well.
warnings: shmoop, leftover owies
disclaimer: not mine, never will be, not making any money, damnit.
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash mailing list. This list can no longer approve new members posts, please join us at NavyNCISslash2

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Attack - Epilogue
by Nancy

There were too many repercussions from the hit-and-run, Tony mused, hissing in pain as he shifted the heating pad on his leg.

It had taken five months of grueling physical therapy for Tony to be able to walk and run at the standard NCIS level to get back to his job. Migraines were just something to be accepted and dealt with as they came, too often. Having to wear glasses for real, instead of just to look good for his vanity, because his vision had taken a dive was a royal pain in the ass, but considering he could've been blinded, Tony didn't complain about it all that often, and certainly not out loud to Gibbs.

Then there were the non-physical problems that kept cropping up at the worst times. There were the pseudo-panic attacks from Gibbs if Tony was late more than five minutes. They were rarely out of each other's sight for long, either, though he wouldn't really call that a problem. Tony's nightmares of getting hit by a car, over and over again, however, was a problem and eventually, he was going to have to see a shrink about it.

Arthritic pain in his hip and knee when the weather turned damp, and exacerbated when it got cold, was just the newest legacy.

Grimacing as he again shifted the heating pad on his thigh, this time to cover his hip, Tony reached over and started powering down his computer. It was two days before Christmas and they were heading out of the city to the warmth of an island getaway, a complete and utter shock to Tony when Gibbs had held out the plane tickets over the weekend.

"All set to have fun in the sun?" Abby asked as she approached, a broad grin on her face.

Grinning in response, Tony replied, "More than, Abs, no question. What about you and Kate? What're you two up to? Aside from working."

Abby made a face at his teasing and retorted, "One day, my friend, one day you will discover the downside to being the Boss' boy-toy."

Laughing softly, Tony said, "Not any time soon, I'll tell you that."

"When's your flight?"

Tony glanced over at McGee, who was powering down his own computer, and answered, "Seven. Now, you're sure that you've got everything down like I told you, Probie?"

McGee didn't even grimace at the nick-name anymore. They all knew that he was Probie in name only these days, having more than proved his worth while Tony was in recovery. He nodded and said, "I have wine for her father, flowers for her mother, those concert tickets Abby scored for her little sister, and the ring, of course, for her."

Abby kissed his cheek and exclaimed, "We're so proud, McGee, aren't we, Tony? All grown up now and asking properly for Cheryl's hand in marriage."

Chuckling, Tony was about to answer in the affirmative when Gibbs stepped off the elevator. Their eyes met and it was like he knew exactly what Gibbs was thinking. That it was time to get the hell out of Dodge. Unplugging the heating pad, Tony tossed it on the desk and stood up.

"All set, DiNozzo?" Gibbs asked, joining them.

Tony nodded and stepped around the desk. Kate got off the elevator just then, stalking across the room with a look in her eyes that said he was so busted.

"Ah, Boss, we should really..."

"DiNozzo! What the hell made you think you could escape before I could get hold of you?" Kate exclaimed.

Gibbs, Abby, and McGee all turned curious eyes on him and Tony squirmed. "Look, Kate, it's not like..."

"Don't you start!"

"But..."

"Not a word, DiNozzo!"

And then he had an armful of Kate, and an astonished audience as she kissed him right on the lips. Grinning when she stepped away, he asked, "So you liked our present?"

Gibbs mouthed, `Our?' at him behind her head.

"You are on my permanent `good guy' list, DiNozzo, no matter what I said about your parentage before," she confirmed, beaming. "Abby, pack your bags. We're going to St. Croix."

Abby's jaw dropped and she squeaked, "Where? When?"

"Yeah, DiNozzo, when?" Gibbs questioned, arms crossing over his chest.

Scratching fingers through his hair, abashed, Tony replied, "The day we get back. See, I knew you had some kind of trip planned, and it didn't seem fair to let them languish here while we were off having fun, not without some kind of, you know, compensation for having to work on Christmas. Oh, McGee, don't forget to check your car for your present. We have to go or we'll miss our plane. Bye, all!"

Tony dragged Gibbs away from the others amidst well-wishes and promises to be careful.

Once the elevator doors closed, Gibbs turned on him and demanded, "Just what did we get McGee?"

Offering a weak grin, Tony answered, "Ah, his honeymoon on Nantucket for a week."

"Nantucket?"

"I've always been drawn to that island. You know the old limerick."

"Don't say it."

"There once was a man from Nantucket..."

Gibbs slapped a hand over Tony's mouth and shook his head. "You know what, DiNozzo?"

Tony mumbled, "What?" against his palm.

Leaning in close, ignoring the cameras, Gibbs removed his hand and kissed him, thoroughly, until Tony was weak against the wall. Then the doors opened and Gibbs walked out, leaving him there to turn around and prompt, "Well? We do have a flight to catch. Get a move on."

After catching his breath, Tony grinned and hurried after him, falling into step with the man who loved him more than anything and, finally, wasn't afraid to show the world. It was the best Christmas present of his life.

Not that he was going to make Gibbs return the tickets, or anything.

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Nancy.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.