Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
712
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
953

To sleep...no chance to dream

Summary:

I’m not going to bed. Can’t make me.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Category: X-Files PWP angst h/c ficlet
Characters: Skinner/Mulder
Rating: This part, suitable for all
Series: Yes...see below
Spoilers: None, not canon but follows Duane Barry
Summary: I'm not going to bed. Can't make me.
Additional Stuff: This is probably one of a million fics out there on this topic. So one more won't take up much room. Can *not* decide where this is going...blame the 'flu. Maybe in a day or two, I'll have Part Two worked out...fingers crossed ☺

Title: To sleep...no chance to dream

Parking garage, Hoover Building...

Skinner looked across once or twice at Mulder, slumped in his passenger seat.

Stupid delivery guys. Unaware of Agent Mulder's presence as he stood hidden behind the door of AD's office, they had slammed him between the door and the wall, knocking him out cold. And all for a new chair. Okay, Mulder would recover and he would be left with a more comfortable chair, but still...

***********************************

Ten minutes earlier, fifth floor...

Kimberley had all but pushed him out of the door, Mulder propped against his chest. 'Sir...he needs to go home. He can't go on his own...he has a head injury.'

Skinner had seen the huge bump on Mulder's temple, checked by their appointed first aider and pronounced non-lethal. But he wasn't giving up that easily. 'What about Agent Scully?'

Kim shook her head. 'She's out today...giving a lecture at Quantico.'

Huffing crossly, Skinner had reluctantly given in and driven Mulder home. As he navigated the unfamiliar route Kim had written out for him, Skinner made a mental note to ask Kimberley how she knew Agent Scully's plans without checking.

*****************************

Mulder's apartment, a short time later...

Walking him into the bedroom, Mulder suddenly realized where Skinner was taking him and shook his head. 'Sir...couch.'

'Mulder, bed.' Skinner said firmly.

'I...I can't Sir.' Mulder mumbled, the journey and the effort of walking into the apartment sapping his energy, leaving him leaning heavily on Skinner.

Skinner scowled as he dropped Mulder onto the bed, none too carefully, and pulled his Agent's shoes off.

'Shut up and rest Mulder.' Skinner said not unkindly, pulling a blanket off the chair beside the bed and shaking it over the semi-conscious younger man.

Mulder struggled to lift himself up, only to be pushed back down by Skinner's hand on his shoulder. 'Sir...please...I...can't sleep here.'

Skinner stood over Mulder, his bulk covering the agent with a large shadow. If Mulder wanted attention, he had Skinner's. For about another minute. 'Mulder...there aren't any delivery men in your apartment, okay?'

Mulder rolled away, embarrassed and hoping Skinner might just leave if he ignored the AD.

Instead, Skinner sighed deeply and walked around to the other side of the bed. 'Mulder...Agent Mulder...look at me.'

Very slowly, reluctance in his movement and eyes when he finally met Skinner's gaze, Mulder stared into Skinner's calm gaze. 'If they come...the television flickers before it happens.'

Skinner frowned. 'Who...comes, Mulder?'

Mulder felt his cheeks burning. 'Aliens.'

Skinner had to fight to resist the urge to laugh out loud. Mulder thought sleeping by the TV would protect him from alien abduction...no...surely not? Yet he saw in Mulder's fearful expression that he was desperately unhappy at being expected to sleep in the bedroom.

'Okay...the couch it is. But you stay put, okay?'

Mulder nodded, half-smiled and lifted himself up, leaning heavily once more on Skinner as they made slow progress back into the living room.

Letting him down carefully, Skinner lifted Mulder's legs onto the couch and covered him with the heavy woven throw folded on the arm of the couch.

'You can't do this much longer Mulder...your back'll be shot by the time you're forty. Trust me.' Skinner realized he was talking to himself when Mulder's soft snores interrupted his warning. He checked his watch and calculated the time he'd have to wake Mulder to check him for signs of head injury. Looking around, Skinner was relieved the current issue of Sports Illustrated lay on the coffee table. Picking it up, he thumbed through the pages he had already read and leaned back in the armchair.

Watch out for Part Two...

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author fanficwriter101.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.