Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 31 of The Switch
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
3,301
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
887

The Switch 31: The Devil You Know

Summary:

FANDOM: "Farscape"
PAIRING: JOHN/D'ARGO
RATING: PG-13
STATUS: New.
ARCHIVE: Yes. Just let me know where.
FEEDBACK: Welcomed
SERIES/SEQUEL: SEQUEL to "A RUMOUR OF ANGELS"
SUMMARY: "The Scarrans find their efforts to recapture Crichton hampered by Scorpius."
The usual disclaimers apply. No infringement of copyright is intended.
Submitted through the AdultFarscape and Makebelieve_YG mailing list.

Work Text:

The Switch 31: The Devil You Know
A "Farscape" slash story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL
* * * * *

The explosions were coming thick and fast now and from every direction. The Scarran commander's visage actually seemed to darken, his eyes glinting as sirens began to blare. "How can we be under attack? This vessel is supposed to be invisible to detection?"

Renik hissed in displeasure and glared down at the human. Selcrak sneered at his lieutenant. "This is one thing that cannot be blamed on the human."

A hoarse gurgling sound rattled in the back of Renik's throat but he did not say anything. Did not dare. Selcrak looked at the diagnosan. "Why does he not wake? He is useless in this conditionn."

The diagnosan dipped his head, anxious not to anger the volatile commander. "I will increase the dose, excellency."

He waited. Watched the diagnosan inject the last of the phial into the side of Crichton's neck. Saw the human begin to twitch slightly as it entered his blood stream. A low agonised groan slid out of his throat. Selcrak leaned in close to the human, his acrid breath fanning the perspiration that soaked the human's face. "Wake, Crichton! Wake before my patience leaves me and I rip your throat out with my teeth."

For a moment nothing happened. The commander fastened his claws around the human's neck and began to squeeze slightly, enough to ring his throat with a bright narrow ribbon of blood. Slowly, as if rising from some immeasurable depths, Crichton began to stir and regain consciousness. The commander removed his hand and watched as he struggled to open his
eyes. "Where am I?"

Selcrak sneered. "You are on *my* vessel, a Scarran vessel, and you are about to tell me the secret to wormhole technology."

He blinked back, eyes half shut against the light. For some reason he kept having flashes of memory with Rygel, Rion, and then Stark in them though he did not know why. "I am?"

The commander belched a sulphurous breath at him making Crichton gag. He sat up awkwardly, coughing and spluttering. The commander looked at the diagnosan in silence, surprised that the human appeared to be rapidly recovering despite coming within a microdench of death. He turned his black eyes on the human. "Yess, you will tell me or die."

Crichton tilted his head a little, a stubborn look settling on his face. As if he had an ace up his sleeve. "I don't think so, lizzard breath."

*Don't anger him John, I am almost there*

Crichton shook his head, trying to dislodge the memory of the clone. "Get the hell out of my head, Scorpy!"

Renik drew back a clawed hand and hit Crichton round the head knocking him off the table. Selcrack grabbed him and pulled him upright. The diagnosan slowly backed away so that he was now standing just to the left of the door in case things turned really ugly. No one even glanced in his direction.

"Now," sneered the commander, a long black claw pricking at Crichton's throat ready to slash him open if he gave the wrong answer. "I have been patient enough!"

Just then a number of things happened at the same time. The ship was rocked by a series of very large explosions. The warning siren changed from one of battlestations to a warning that they were being boarded. The commander's head jerked upright convulsively. He spoke in Scarran, the air almost igniting with the anger of his tirade. For a microt he seemed to have forgotten about Crichton. The human took his chance and ducked down quickly, scrambling across the floor towards the door. There was no sign of the diagnosan. Renik had all his attention on the commander. Both Scarrans realised that Crichton was escaping at the same time. Selcrak ordered Renik to stop him, but Renik was the wrong side of the torture frame. Frustrated he tossed the contraption to one side just as Crichton got the door open and fled down the corridor. Cursing, the Scarran went in pursuit.

* * * * *

Rygel was cold and stiff when he came to. The baby was no longer in his arms and he was back in his own quarters. Confused a stab of alarm shot through him. Had they failed? Then he was aware of a movement at the periphery of his vision and sat up in his bed. "Who's there?"

A shape stepped out of the shadows. It was Stark. Rygel's mouth dropped open in surprise.

"What the yotz are you doing here?"

To his surprise it was not Stark who answered but Zhaan. "Stark has come to help."

He turned his head slightly and saw the Delvian priestess join Stark.

"We were already helping before you got here." Grumbled Rygel at Stark but he was not really angry just out of sorts at being left in the dark. "Speaking of which, *how* did you get here and how did you know we needed any help?"

"I didn't know, Rygel. At least, I didn't know that's *why* I had to come back to Moya."

Rygel shut his eyes and shook his head. He had forgotten for a microt how confusing the Banik could be. When he opened his eyes again he was grouchier than ever. "Trust a Banik to only answer a question by raising more questions."

Stark sat carefully on his bed so as not to jostle the Dominar. Rygel pretended to glare at him but Zhaan was not fooled. "I can't explain Rygel except to say I had this need, this compulsion to return to Moya, even though I was happy where I was."

"Where was that?"

"With my own people."

The look on Rygel's face was worth savouring. Zhaan tilted her lovely face and smiled at Stark, such love in her eyes that there could be no doubting what had really drawn Stark back.

"Your own people? But I thought...?"

His voice trailed off, unable and unwilling to finish the sentence. Stark explained gently. "So did I but I was wrong. *We* were wrong."

"How...?"

"How did I find them? Mostly by accident. I found three, Rygel. THREE!" His face brightened with a joy of such intensity it was painful, highlighting as it did the unspoken half of his explanation that it was only three. Three out of MILLIONS.

Rygel looked at Zhaan. "What about John? We reached him Zhaan, but then..." His voice trailed off sadly.

"You did, Rygel. You and Rion found him and made a link."

Rygel actually brightened up at this news. "We did?"

"Yes," Said Stark. "Using your connection I was able to take that link and heal him."

For a moment the Dominar was too stunned to say anything then his brow ridge lowered in suspicion. "There is no need for you to impress me, Stark."

Stark nodded, knowing Rygel was being sarcastic and not offended. "I did not do it alone. You and the baby helped plus I had Bork."

He was really confused now. "Bork? Who or what the yotz is Bork?"

Zhaan tried to hide the smile on her face.

"Bork," Said Stark, "Is one of my people. One of the unmasked."

The Dominar was about to ask what he meant by that when Zhaan touched Stark's shoulder gently. He got up and looked at her. For a microt they might have been the only ones in the room. Rygel cleared his throat noisily. "You were telling me who Bork was."

Zhaan put a hand to Stark's lips to forestall his answer. "I think perhaps you should eat first, Rygel, then we will tell you everything you want to know."

Rygel nodded. Ah yes, now she came to mention it he really was very hungry indeed. For the first time in a long time all three stomachs were empty at the same time. He just hoped Crichton appreciated what he had gone through for him.

* * * * *

Impossibly the city sized ship was listing. All her cloaking functions were damaged and now she was in full view of the three Peace Keeper Command Carriers forming a deadly ring around her. PK clash troops poured in from the wave after wave of landing transports. As the last landed, the troops pouring out of it peeled off to the right and left and waited as their commander came out. He paused on the threshold, death's head mask drawn in a rictus that could have been pleasure or pain. Scorpius inhaled the stench of his enemy and with a brisk nod to Lt Braca demanded that the vessel be searched from top to bottom. Not a square dench was to be missed and they were not to stop until they had found Crichton. Any Scarrans found were to be executed on the spot. No exceptions. Scorpius finally found his way to the torture chamber.

The diagnosan lay decapitated on the floor, his dark blood smeared everywhere as if his executioner had thrown his severed head about like a football. Scorpius cast his eye slowly round the room, giving the metal frame a long look before confirming with his senses that John Crichton was not in room. He turned and saw the female lying inert behind the broken framework. With his boot he turned the body over and was surprised to see a face he recognised. Scorpius leaned over the body, a flicker of interest enlivening his face. "Well, well, well. Not so intelligent after all, Jena?"

He was interrupted in his reverie by Lt Braca. "Sir! Crichton is still aboard the vessel. He has been sighted running towards the rear of the ship."

Scorpius nodded, his expression bright with anticipation. At last. "I want him taken alive!"

Braca nodded and darted on ahead. Without another glance at Jena, Scorpius turned and left the room his troops falling in behind him.

* * * * *

Stark did not go with Zhaan and Rygel to get anything to eat. He needed to renew his contact with Crichton and make sure he was alright, part of him fretting now that they were no longer connected. Bork was waiting for him on their transport having politely declined any offer of quarters on Moya and had taken no food. The others were also there. Stark noticed the look on their faces. "I will need all your help to re-establish the connection. We do not have Rygel and the baby this time."

They nodded. The look on Alphia's face was sympathetic.

Bork nodded and Stark closed the door almost reluctantly. Thinking of Zhaan. Bork put a light hand on his shoulder and he seemed to gain some comfort from his touch.

* * * * *

Crichton was tiring fast. Weariness catching up on him but refusing to slow down. He was running on adrenalin now and nothing else, knowing the Scarran was still behind him. All connection with the others had broken off when he woke from the drugs but fragments of memory brushed his mind and left him unsure what was real and what was mere dream. It was weird, when he thought of the baby an echo of his love still reached him, made him feel humble right through to the core. He even had good thoughts about Rygel knowing that underneath that typical greedy, self centred and egotistical Hynerian was someone of worth. Someone who had long ago become more friend than foe. Then he thought of Stark. Was that real? Had he been there or was it wishful thinking? He could not tell.

He came to the end of a corridor and realised he could not go any further. The Scarran was behind him, another 80 or so dench away and closing fast. He ran his hands over the walls but there was no catch, no hidden door, no way out. He turned and faced back down the corridor, the Scarran drawing back his lips in a triumphant sneer. Crichton had the end of the corridor at his back and no weapon. He frowned at the approaching Scarran, a deep line forming on the bridge of his nose. He braced himself for the attack he knew was coming. No way did he intend to give up without a fight. The Scarran stopped a few paces away, his weapon drawn ready should he try to get passed him. Renik bellowed at him, the coarse gurgle of foul Scarran words turned into speech by Crichton's translator microbes.

"You cannot escape, human!"

"Yeah well I've seen what you're hospitality's like so I think I'll pass."

"You have no choice. You will come with me or you will die!"

Just then a figure emerged in the corridor a dozen paces behind the Scarran. Crichton was sure that his eyes must be deceiving him. He froze and stared at the woman, her shimmering skirt catching the light and scattered it back at him like sequins hit by lightening. Her face was as passionless and flawless as last time he had seen her. He was surprised to see that she was armed, the pulse rifle looking out of place in her soft elegant hands. He smiled slowly, relief like a fresh breath filling labouring lungs. The Scarran hesitated and looked behind him. Crichton anticipated his surrender and started to take a step towards them watching as the Empress raised the pulse rifle. His smile became a grin but the grin then froze as the Scarran turned to leer at him with a smug look on his alien face. Before he could wonder at that, the Scarran stepped to one side and Novia fired at Crichton. He flung himself to one side but too late to avoid the scorching trail of agony that lit up his left shoulder. If he had not moved at the last minute he would have been killed in an instant.

He started to roll onto his uninjured side when something whirred at him from ground level. He paused, blinking back the pain, and saw a curious sight. It was a droid, or rather the smallest droid he had ever seen. It was regarding him from its' fixed light, little servos whizzing forwards and back as the little biomechaniod rolled back and forth on its' wheels. He had no idea what kind of message that was meant to convey and before he could puzzle about the latest turn of events a pair of cruel claws pierced his shoulders and dragged him to his feet causing him to cry out. The Scarran shoved his face close to his so that he almost choked on his breath.

"You were warned. No escape."

He ignored the Scarran and looked at the Empress. Her face revealed nothing of her thoughts. He only wanted the answer to one question. "Why?"

Why did she betray him?

* * * * *

D'Argo was on command when Chiana commed him. She sounded upset.

"Slow down Chiana! What is wrong?"

"It's the baby - Rion. He won't stop crying and every time I touch his shoulder he wails!"

"Don't worry I'm on my way."

D'Argo shut off his com to Chiana and called for Zhaan. "Zhaan! Chiana needs you. Something is wrong with the baby."

Zhaan's face appeared on the clamshell. She looked concerned. "I am on my way, Ka D'Argo."

D'Argo left command at a run. What the frell was wrong now?

* * * * *

The shuttle left and immediately cloaked. Renik had not been able to locate Selcrak and thought it best to leave immediately. He would get word to his commander once he had Crichton safetly aboard their capital vessel. If he knew the commander he had already made his own plans for getting off the stricken vessel. To hesistate was to give their enemy a chance to stop them and rescue the human. That was not going to happen. The stakes were too high.

Crichton sat nursing his shoulder in one corner, his eyes fastened on the Empress. She turned and gave him a cold hard stare but if she thought he would drop his eyes and turn away she was mistaken. "How many pieces of silver did it take, Novia?"

She frowned at him, not understanding.

"How much did you ask to betray me?"

She snorted at him. "You are nothing to me, John Crichton, so do not try to pretend I owe you anything!"

He could not believe his ears. Before he could speak again she spat the words at him. Cold, an anger so deep that if it were buried treasure no mortal would ever find it. "You killed my son."

"Clavor killed himself. That's what you get for trusting Scarrans."

Renik hissed at him but said nothing. He looked at the Empress and inclined his head, acknowledging her assistance. "You will be well rewarded, Empress."

"I want no reward but one."

"Name it."

She looked John Crichton in the eye. Her look did not have enough warmth in it to cloud a mirror. "When you have finished with him - kill him!"

Renik peeled back his lips in a laugh. Crichton scowled. "It will be my pleasure, Empress!" He hissed.

Inwardly Crichton groaned. Wondering what they did for an encore.

* * * * *

Stark could not find him. Could not reach him. It should have been so simple. The connection had been made so what had gone wrong? Concerned he looked at Bork. "Find him for me, Bork, for I cannot."

Bork sent soothing waves of love out to him then his light intensified and he was gone. Stark looked at Heronn and Alphia then they held hands and tried again, scanning for any sign of Crichton. Anything that would tell them what had happened to him. They were interrupted in their search by the return of Bork. Stark opened his eyes with a great reluctance. As if to put off bad news. "What did you find?"

Bork's golden light defused as he looked at Stark. His sorrow touched Stark deep inside. I could not find him. He is no longer on the great ship

Something like a dagger pierced the Banik's heart. Heronn placed a hand on his brother's shoulder. Alphia said nothing but her waves of comfort and concern merged with them all. "How can he be gone, Bork?"

I do not know but he is not on the ship. Alive *or* dead

Stark sucked in a painful breath. "I have failed him." He sighed in sorrow then hung his head. His words broken and mournful. He thought of Zhaan. Rygel. Rion. "I have failed them all..."

* * * * *

On the floor of the torture chamber a figure stirred. Pain clearing her vision as she lay with her head at an odd angle. She could not move her neck. Paralysed her eyes flicked from side to side, trying to absorb as much as she could. Details. In her line of work details were everything. She lay for arns on the cold floor and did not dare even to shiver. The slightest movement was agony. Realising the Scarran had snapped one of her top vertebrae she knew better than to force movement. She clicked her tongue in an odd arrythmic pattern then paused. After a few microts she tried again. After the sixth try she heard an answering pattern of clicks and waited. The tiny servo motors told her salvation was at hand. The little biomechanoid rolled into her line of vision, the array of clicks and whirs somehow relaying conern. Distress.

"I'm okay. You have to get help. Notify the others. We have to find the human before it's too late!"

END

Series this work belongs to: