Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,240
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
5
Kudos:
10
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,400

Music's Release 2: Music's Discovery

Summary:

Website:no
Permission to archive: yes
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre: gen
Pairing/Characters: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Rating: Gen
Warning: Unbeta'd and all mistakes are my own.
Summary: I guess this is a sequel to Music's Release. Gibbs comes to the realization that Tony is the one...
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash mailing list.

Work Text:

Music's Release 2: Music's Discovery
by Barb

Gibbs was frustrated. It had been three weeks since the container fiasco and he still hadn't found a time or place in which he could talk to Tony.

He wanted to tell the young man that he hadn't known that DiNozzo hadn't been invited to Ziva's little get together. That the entire time he was there, he'd wished Tony was as well.

On the surface it seemed that DiNozzo was over what happened. That he truly hadn't cared, but he'd seen McGee and David's smirks and the brief flash of hurt in Tony's eyes and knew differently.

Gibbs hadn't been surprised when the young man turned Ziva down and left by himself. What had surprised him was that Tony hadn't gone home. Jethro knew that for a fact because he had stopped by his place that evening and found DiNozzo's parking spot empty.

Every night since, Jethro had driven by Tony's and not once had DiNozzo been home. The ex-Marine was getting frustrated and worried, two emotions that never sat well with him.

The frustration was easily fixed, for Gibbs decided to follow Tony tonight and confront him, make him talk, tell him that he hadn't meant to hurt his feelings. The worry was more insidious, and kept him up nights. Jethro wasn't sure he really wanted to know what DiNozzo was up to, or worse, who he was seeing.

For one thing, it was blatantly clear to anyone paying attention that, Tony was no longer going on and on about the bevy of women he dated on a regular basis. Sure DiNozzo continued to tease McGee, and banter with Ziva but he had ceased mentioning anything personal.

Did that mean that Tony had found a woman, or in Gibbs wildest dreams a man, who meant something to him? The person who would take Tony away from Gibbs for good? That's what Jethro feared.

The fact that he cared whether Tony found someone to love at first caught Gibbs by surprise. His feelings for the young agent had changed from friendship to something more, so gradually that it took DiNozzo's abrupt change in behaviour to finally clue the senior agent in.

That Jethro was attracted to DiNozzo was nothing new, but over the years he had convinced himself that Tony was just a friend. Albeit a smart, funny and incredibly sexy friend, that made his pulse race and his cock hard whenever he smiled at him. He discovered that his attraction hadn't diminished, but had grown, that he didn't just want Tony as a friend... he just wanted Tony.

Hence the fear that he was too late...

It took many an internal conversation to bring Gibbs to this point. The ex-Marine was going to put his hat in the ring, so to speak, and let Tony know that there was someone else willing to fight for his affections.

Which was why Gibbs was following DiNozzo tonight. He needed to know who his competition was, and just how hard he was going to have to fight to lure him away from that person.

It didn't take long for Tony, and thusly Gibbs, to reach their destination.

Jethro made sure to park far enough away that DiNozzo wouldn't see him and he waited impatiently for Tony to enter the bar he had parked in front of.

Why would DiNozzo come to this little out of the way bar? It definitely wasn't Tony's style, which reinforced Jethro's belief that the younger man was meeting someone tonight. Slightly depressed at that thought, Gibbs was still determined to complete his mission.

Taking a deep breath Gibbs left his vehicle and entered the bar.

Standing in the shadows, the senior agent surveyed his surroundings. His first impression was favourable, this was just the kind of bar he liked... small, cozy, comfortable.

The place was half empty and on first glance he couldn't see DiNozzo. 'Must have gone to the head,' Gibbs thought to himself. After a few minutes and no Tony, Jethro frowned. He was about to go looking for him, when the man in question walked out of the kitchen and headed towards the stage.

Surprised, Jethro moved further into the room and found an empty table that would allow him an unencumbered view of DiNozzo. His eyes widening as Tony sat at the piano and began to play. He couldn't help but stare enraptured as nimble fingers flew over the keys. How come he didn't know that his agent could play? As soon as that thought came to him, he mentally kicked his own ass. How come he hadn't taken the time to learn more about Tony? Shaking himself out of his self-recrimination, Gibbs concentrated on the scene before him.

Storing away the sights and sounds of Tony, knowing that if what he had to say to the man bombed, he would never get the chance again.

An hour went by and it looked as if Tony was winding down for the evening. For a moment Gibbs panicked, wondering how he was going to approach the younger man. But he didn't have to worry, as DiNozzo finished off his set with a cheeky version of the Marine Corps anthem.

"Busted!" Gibbs muttered as Tony rose from the piano and made a beeline to his table. Jethro was impressed that DiNozzo had known he was there, even though he gave no indication during his performance. He watched as Tony sat across from him and waited, a question visible in amused green eyes.

Taking a deep breath, Gibbs spoke, "you looked good up there."

Tilting his head, DiNozzo acknowledge the complement, a faint blush dusting his cheeks, though he still didn't speak.

Encouraged, Jethro forged ahead, "I hoped we could talk?"

"What about Boss?" Tony asked as he tried to stay calm. DiNozzo knew that Gibbs had followed him here. He just didn't know why. The younger agent was well aware that Gibbs had been trying to talk to him for the last couple of weeks, and that he hadn't given him the opportunity. Tony wasn't sure what made him come to the bar every week for the last three weeks, instead of on his usual Tuesdays, except that he had the vague thought that he was hiding from Gibbs. That he didn't want to know what the older man wanted to say to him. Seems he was right. As much as DiNozzo tried to convince himself he didn't care, the more he did and the more he seemed to run from Gibbs.

Straightening in his chair, Jethro looked the man who held his future in his hands, straight in the eye. He'd never backed down from a difficult situation before and he was damned if he was about to start now, "about you and me."

Eyes widening, Tony sat there, still silent the only other indication of his nervousness was in the movement of his Adam's apple as he swallowed.

Taking the silence as his cue to continue, "there are a few things I need to tell you Tony... about us."

"Us?" Tony asked shocked. Last time he checked there was no 'us', of course DiNozzo would never admit to wanting an 'us' and here was Gibbs stating there was an 'us'. Even as the thought swirled through his mind, he mentally congratulated himself for not having said that soliloquy out loud, knowing that it would have sounded even more stupid coming out of his mouth than it did in his head. Instead he waited, leaving the ball still in Jethro's court.

Gibbs read the surprise and doubt in Tony's eyes along with something tantalizingly amorphous... could it have been hope? Encouraged by what he thought he saw, Jethro continued.

"Yes us, cause I got to tell you Tony, there is an us. Has been for a long time. Problem was we either couldn't see it, or ignored it," Gibbs stated as a small smile slipped out.

"What the hell are you talking about Boss?" DiNozzo asked, more flustered than upset, "exactly what are you suggesting?"

Realizing that now wasn't the time for riddles or subtlety, Gibbs strengthened his resolve, 'right, I can do this,' he thought to himself, "I'm not suggesting anything Tony, I'm full out saying it. I love you."

Tony sat back his face turning an alarming shade of pale. He was positive he'd misheard Gibbs. There was no way his ex-Marine, hard as nails, second B is for bastard boss just sat there and told him that he loved him. Because in the DiNozzo universe those things didn't happen, nope, secrete desires didn't just pop into his lap. Tony's quick mind whirled, gears slipping as he processed Gibbs' declaration. The ex-cop dismissed the notion that Gibbs was joking. Jethro wasn't that cruel. Staring the older man in the eye, Tony couldn't read any falsehood in the clear blue orbs. After looking at all the angles, Tony could only come to one conclusion, "Gibbs really does love me! Holy shit!"

Gibbs watched as DiNozzo assimilated his declaration, mistrust, disbelief, amazement and finally acceptance flashing across the younger man's expressive face. His eyebrows rose at the breathless words that Jethro was sure Tony wasn't aware he said out loud. Inordinately pleased, he waited for Tony to respond now that he had finished processing.

"Why now?" Tony asked. Before he let Gibbs know how he felt, DiNozzo needed this answered.

"This has been growing for years Tony. We've been dancing around each other since we've met. I've just been too hardheaded and stupid to catch on. I think you feel the same way, at least I hope you do?" Gibbs answered as honestly as he could. "How I felt about you finally slapped me in the face three weeks ago after the incident with the shipping container. Once again I almost lost you and I couldn't stand that thought. When McGee asked whether we needed to get the divers to look for your body, I told him I'd know if you weren't alive. At that moment I knew... knew that you were the one I wanted, that you had crept into my heart and I wasn't going to let you go." After this statement he sat back against the chair. He'd laid his cards on the table and now he would see the game through. Either he'd have Tony or he'd loose him... probably forever.

DiNozzo's heart skipped a beat as he listened to Gibbs explain himself. This was it. The moment he dreaded... what was he going to say? Was he willing to put himself on the line and reach for the brass ring? Did he take a chance and admit to Gibbs that he really did love him, but that he'd never in a million years think that he had a chance with the older man?

Jethro sighed, the longer Tony took; the likelihood that his dreams were never to became a reality. Heart sore, Gibbs seemed to deflate before the younger man as he pushed his seat away from the table in preparation to leave.

He had just turned away when a whisper reached his ear, "I love you too." Not able to move, Jethro just stood there, his eyes closing in relief. Turning back, he sat down, his blue eyes showing more emotion than the younger man had ever seen.

Allowing his own emotions to shine back at his new lover, Tony reached out and took one of Gibbs hands, giving it a gentle squeeze before letting go. "So now what, Boss?"

"So now I take you to dinner and we go home to my place," Jethro stated more at ease with the situation, now that he knew everything would turn out all right.

DiNozzo smirked, delighted to see the take charge man back in the saddle. "Sounds good, but I've got another set," he replied, pointing to the piano.

"Then you better get up there. Sooner you're done, the sooner we can get this date on the road," Gibbs stated, as he made a shooing motion.

Laughing, Tony stood and threw a sloppy salute Jethro's way, "Aye, Aye Boss!" and with a crisp about face, DiNozzo wove his way through the room and stepped up to the piano. As his fingers flew over the ivories, he mentally picked out a new line up of music, this one with the sole purpose of letting Jethro know how he felt...

As the younger man began to play, Gibbs settled back to enjoy the show, his agile mind planning the seduction of one Anthony DiNozzo. 'Hmmm I still have that jar of Honey Dust..."

end