Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-01-22
Words:
7,698
Chapters:
9/9
Kudos:
25
Bookmarks:
4
Hits:
5,232

Normal

Summary:

Jim's sentinel abilities develop further.

Chapter 1: Normality is overrated

Chapter Text

Disclaimer: not mine
Warnings: AU, or maybe not

***

"What do you mean it's perfectly normal?!?" Jim checked the dials on his hearing, just in case. After all, his guide could not be saying what Jim thought he was saying. Then again, few things about this day were business-as-usual.

"What part of the sentence are you having difficulty understanding?" Blair asked with a sigh. *Sentinels.*

"But... but I can't be suddenly - no one else -" Jim tried to explain his confusion to his clearly exasperated guide.

"Now come here," Blair said from his seat on the couch.

They had come back to the loft a little over an hour ago. The day had been the usual fare for the sentinel and guide, until the chase. They had asked around for a burglar and had actually caught him as he came from his boyfriend's place. Of course, this being Cascade the said burglar took off like an Olympic level runner and Jim went after him. The sentinel had caugth his prey in a parking lot and apprehended him. Nothing unusual there, it was what had happened during the fight to cuff the burglar that was freaking the sentinel.

Jim flopped down on the couch. Blair considered sitting on his lap to calm him down. *Though I doubt it would 'calm' things down.* Blair told his thoughts to take a dive in ice water and cleared his throat.

"I admit it's not something that would be normal for the guys at the PD, but you're a sentinel, remember?" the guide pointed out.

"It has never happened before!" Jim sounded like he was on the verge of a panic attack.

"Okay, let's take this from the beginning. Breathe deep. Don't give me that look, you're two seconds from hyperventilating. That's a good sentinel. I'll ignore that growl for now. Breathe in. And out."

Slowly, Jim's breathing levelled and he calmed down somewhat.

"Jesus, Blair. Just when I think we have this sentinel crap figured out, something else pops up," Jim said, sounding like the proverbial kicked puppy.

"That's because you're progressing," Blair explained patiently.

"Progressing? You mean there's more?" Jim asked horrified.

"Yep," Blair stated. His sentinel was coming along quite nicely.

"What's - No, don't want to know." Jim thought for a minute. "On the other hand, there's one thing I'd like to know." He thought about how to phrase the next question to his happy looking guide. "I'm not going to become a cat, am I?" he asked quietly.

Blair smiled. "No need to worry about that." Jim sighed in relief. "The claws are just the first sign that you're merging with your spirit guide."

"Merging?!?"

Blair nodded, smiling brightly.

***