Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
12,407
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
5
Kudos:
20
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
2,663

Brushes and Badges

Summary:

A detective and an artist with a secret meet.

Work Text:



The bar was noisy and smoky, but otherwise actually quite clean. The clientele was a mixture of friends out for a few and singles (plus a few others) looking for someone to spend the night with. The figure sitting on a bar stool in a corner and staring into the depths of his drink belonged to none of those species.  

I wonder if he already has someone else, Jim thought darkly, but then shook his head. It did not really matter. He had failed with Matt just as he had failed with Caroline, he just could not connect with a guide. All he ever got was a faint sense of a person, but no connection, ever. He sighed and rubbed his eyes with his hands. Unable to connect. He had heard that phrase so many times; it was like a judgement set down on him.  

He downed his drink and signalled the bartender for another.  

Maybe I should just give up. If I can’t connect with a guide, why should I bother looking for one? He looked at the glass that had materialised in front of him. Yep, just relax and let it go.  

“How about I pay for that drink?”

Jim turned his head to look at a slightly shorter and younger man standing behind him. I like his smile.  

“Sure,” Jim said, feeling kind of flattered that someone was still interested in him.  

As the young man took out his wallet, Jim noticed the guide rings on his right hand. After a seconds pause, he shrugged. It would be just for one night and he had trouble connecting anyway, so why worry about it? They would probably never meet again, and this time, the thought thrilled him. No strings or expectations, just pleasure and an easing of loneliness. He felt… free.  

***

Blair looked at the tall and yummy man sitting on the barstool. He was exactly what Blair had been looking for. Tomorrow he would go for a two-week visit at the retreat his mother managed, and then he would start his new job. He had heard about his acceptance yesterday and had decided that he deserved to just relax and enjoy himself. He certainly enjoyed looking at the sad man, he was certain he would enjoy easing his own loneliness even more. Not that the rest of the package was unattractive, quite the contrary. Just the treat I was looking for.  

***

Somehow you never remember how crabby you feel the day after. Jim was sitting on his couch, willing his head to stop aching. It was not a very effective treatment for a hangover, but he did not want to risk any pain medication. He had woken up in a hotel bed with the guy from the bar this morning and had fled from the room without waking his bedmate. It was better that way, less awkwardness. After all, he did not even know the guy’s surname, for god’s sakes.  

Isn’t that what you wanted? It had been, yesterday evening. Now he felt depressed. It had been what he had wanted, what he had thought he needed, but something was missing. Something vital.  

He got up to take a shower. Best to forget about it, and take up meditation again.  

***

“Honey, are you all right?”  

Blair turned to look at his mother. She was worried, and this time for a reason. Blair had to admit he had not been cheerful company.  

“Yes, mom. Don’t worry,” he said, trying to sound convincing. He must have, since Naomi merely smiled and went back inside.  

Blair turned to look out at the beautiful view of a lake surrounded by a forest. He liked the view from the balcony of the guest room; it had always managed to calm him before. Emphasis on the word before.  

Blair sighed. He just could not forget that man, Jim. There was something about him that nagged at him, barked at his heels and would not leave him alone. He had been disappointed to find him gone the morning after, but had thought that the man could be easily stored in the folder of fond memories. He had been wrong. There had been dreams, flashbacks, longing, it was as if his spirit was haunting Blair.  

I’ll look for him once I return to Cascade. The decision calmed him as the view had failed to do. He turned and went inside to join his mother in yoga practice.  

***

Jim chewed the tip of his pen. What was it about that guy that nagged at him? If he did not know himself, he would think that they had formed a preliminary connection. But he knew himself; he could not connect, in any way. He had been told that often enough. Surely I would have shown some ability of connecting before. Right?

He thought of their night together. It had been the first time Jim had felt… appreciated. Blair had wanted them both to enjoy it. Jim lowered his head to the sheet of paper on his desk to hide his smile. He had certainly enjoyed it. So, could that be it? He was simply missing the lovemaking? Could be, but let’s face it, there’s more to it. But what?  

Jim shook his head. Best to let it be. He had banged his head against the wall once too often and had nothing but bruises to show for his troubles.  

He sighed, and concentrated on the drawing. He had promised Brackett he would have a few new pieces for the exhibition in a few weeks.  

***

Detective Blair Sandburg straightened his shoulders and stepped through the glass doors to the Major Crimes department of the Cascade Police. At first glance, the place felt friendly and open. There were a few glances thrown in his direction as he walked to the captain’s office, but he did not sense any hostility toward the newcomer and intruder. The older hands were waiting to see how he would do before passing judgement.  

He knocked on the door before stepping into Banks’ office.  

“Our newest addition, welcome to our merry band,” the tall captain said, smiling wryly.  

***

“So, what do you think?” Jim asked his agent as they sat in Brackett’s light filled office. Jim was not sure about the latest pieces.  They were not his usual studies of light and colour. The paintings were of shadowy forests teeming with life, and wolves. Somehow he could not get a grey wolf figure out of his head, but then again, sentinels were known to have odd dreams. Plausible explanation, or maybe it’s just me. Now that would be an even more plausible explanation, he thought wryly.  

“Certainly interesting, I like the way you play with the shadows. I really can’t say how many wolves there are in this one,” Brackett said with that there’s-money-to-be-made voice of his. He was certainly an efficient agent.  

“Good,” Jim said rising from the leather armchair. “So that’s it ‘til the exhibition?”  

“Yep, I’ll make sure these get to the gallery in time. Be there, and on time,” Brackett said sternly. He knew how much Jim hated public happenings.  

“I’ll be there,” Jim promised, hiding his grimace. For as long as I have to be, and not a second longer.

***

“So, do we get these kind of assignments often?” Blair asked Joel, his new partner.  

“Depends, the current mayor likes the police presence at the large events,” the large teddy bear looking detective explained. “The exhibition committee doesn’t mind having the police there as well as the security firm. Some of those art pieces are worth a lot of money, not to mention the loss of face if they were stolen.”  

Blair nodded. He did not mind the case, not really. He would get to see the Promising Cascade Artists exhibition on the side. He was especially interested in a certain James Ellison whose works would also be on display. Jim.  

Since Blair did not have much information on Jim, it had taken some time before he had found the correct Jim. It had been a mere act of frustration to check the Sentinel Registrar, but it had paid off. The one he searched was not in any police records and there were plenty of James in the Cascade area. There were fewer sentinels named James and only one that was tall, blue-eyed and in his late 30s: James Ellison. He could have sworn he felt the stroke of fate in his soul. But could it be this easy?  

Captain Banks had told them of the assignment last week and had given them files of all the prominent invitees, including the artists. Blair had managed to keep his cool when he saw Jim’s press photo, though it had been a close call. This would be the perfect opportunity to get close to him, to see if the reality matched his dreams, or if he was merely chasing illusions.  

***

Jim was feeling out of place in the throng of fashionable and influential people. The annual Promising Cascade Artists exhibition had grown to be the place to be for art lovers, and those wanting to be known as such. It was an honour to be given a place in it and it guaranteed a spot in the sun, for a while at least. The art world could forget you just as easily as it discovered you.  

Brackett had made sure to introduce him to the right people during their first hour here. He could still feel the calculated looks he had received; only a few were actually interested in his art. He made sure to remember those few. Brackett was more interested in their credit balance than anything else, but in Jim’s mind he was allowed to. After all, he was the agent i.e. a salesman.  

Jim was just calculating his exit when he heard a familiar voice greet him.  

“Hi, Jim.”

***

Blair had noticed Jim and his agent talking with the curator of the Cascade Modern Art Museum as he began his tour of the place. Somehow Jim had been the first one he sought out of the crowd. He had wanted to run over to him, but quickly crushed the urge. Best to wait until we’re alone.  

By the time he had ended his rounds, Jim had escaped the clutches of the curator as well as Brackett and was standing alone, looking like he was just waiting to be released from the whole ‘social event’. Blair veered towards him.  

Looks even better sober and in a suit. Blair was not really surprised at the rush of tenderness and possessiveness washing over him. It had not been mere dreaming and wishful thinking.  

“Hi, Jim.”  

The blue eyes grew larger as the sentinel turned to stare at him. “Um, hi. How?”  

Blair smiled at the perplexed look on the sentinel’s face. “I’m a detective in Major Crimes. We got saddled with security duty.”  

“Oh.”  

Blair took his card out of the pocket of his suit jacket. “I wanted to give you this, before, but you had already left.”  

Jim looked at the card. “Are you sure?” he asked, raising his eyes to look at Blair.  

“Yes,” Blair answered simply. He was certain, as certain as he had ever been.  

Jim took the card. “Okay.”  

Blair smiled, feeling like he had been given the chance of a lifetime. Maybe he had been. “I better get back on duty. See you later.”  

The young detective felt like whistling as he left, but that would have been… unprofessional. He settled on humming under his breath.  

***

Jim looked at the standard black on white business card Blair had given him.  

Detective Blair Sandburg

Major Crimes

Cascade Police Department  

There was the official number for his office and cell phone. Jim turned the card in his hand. Handwritten on the other side, Blair’s home number and a note saying ‘please, call me’.  

Jim could feel a warmth settle on him, and an upset stomach. Oh, shit, not again. He had been feeling little twinges and bouts of nausea for a couple of days.  

He breathed deep and relaxed. The nausea faded into the background. Probably the hors d’oeuvres, gods know what’s in those little tidbits.

***

“A job well done, gentlemen,” Banks congratulated his team as they were going over the security operation the next morning. All he got in return were grunts and mumbles from the tired officers. The event had gone on until after midnight and it was only 6 am the following morning. Banks felt bad calling them in so early, but he had been ordered to draw up a full report ASAP. Translation: well before the chief would meet with the mayor that day, so he needed to wrap this up. “As everything went without a hitch, I’m giving you a couple of days off. In rotation,” he added at the eager looks. “Swindhoff and Conner are first, starting tomorrow. Then Taggart and Sandburg, last will be Rafe and Brown.”

Good, I’ll have time to visit Jim. Wonder why he hasn’t called? I’m sure he was glad I showed up. He didn’t seem embarrassed or anything, he didn’t.  

The thoughts circled around and round in Blair’s mind, making him even more nervous.  

***

Jim was in his studio in a renovated factory on the other side of Cascade. The city had renovated working spaces for artists in the building and rented the studios out on a yearly basis. Jim liked it there, the atmosphere was comfortable and everyone understood the need for solitude.  

He looked at the canvas in front of him. This isn’t working. He sighed and moved to look out the window. It was raining cats and dogs. He followed the water running down the glass with his sight until it melted into miniature rivers.  

A detective. What if he finds out? It’s not as I’ve done anything, except keep my mouth shut. But what if he finds out about Brackett? What will happen then? It will change everything.  

Jim turned slightly to look at the cell phone lying on the wooden unfinished table. What if I don’t call? Do I dare take the risk, either way?

***

“What is it, Blair?” Joel asked the haggard looking figure glaring at his phone.  

Blair started guiltily. “Nothing. Well, nothing much. At least, I think so,” he added under his breath.  

“It’s definitely something. You’ve been –“ the large detective started, but was cut off by the melodious ringing of Blair’s cell phone.  

The younger detective snatched his cell phone in record time. “Yes?… Hi, Jim.”  

Joel turned away just in time to hide his wide grin. His partner’s whole manner had changed in but a second. The kid’s in love. Who’d have thought. Despite being able to talk a mile a minute about any subject and always being there for others, the newest addition to Major Crimes had seemed… aloof, trapped in solitude. This is just what he needs to get some life into him.  

***

Jim was smiling as he put down the phone. He liked talking with Blair, the guide always had something to interesting to say and he knew so much. And his voice, it was soothing and imbued with warmth. Shit, you’re already in love with him. Haven’t you learned your lesson by now? But what if this was the one?  

Jim gnawed at his lower lip. He had to take the chance. Throwing this one opportunity away would haunt him for the rest of his life. He had to know. Even a disappointment was better than not-knowing.  

Oh, heck. His stomach started to turn again. He rose and headed for the fridge. Milk and blueberries seemed to help with these odd bouts of nausea. Maybe I should change my diet or something.  

***

Blair was feeling nervous as he approached Jim’s loft. This would be the first time they met for a real date. They would go for an evening at a restaurant, just the two of them. A date, we’re on a date. It’s been 6 weeks since we met, we’ve already been in bed together and this is the first time we’re on a date. It feels like we’re beginning anew.  

He parked the car near the entrance of a red brick building and shut off the engine. After a few deep breaths and a mumbled ‘it will be okay’, he was ready to get out and enter the apartment building.  

***

Jim opened the door as he heard Blair approaching. The young detective looked good in his khaki pants and leather jacket. Jim could feel his heart pick up an extra beat.  

“Umm, hi,” he said. Real witty, Ellison.  

“Hi, you’re looking good. You about ready?” Blair asked smiling. Somehow Jim believed that Blair was making an honest comment about his appearance instead of just complimenting him for courtesy’s sake, as Matt so often seemed to have done.  

“Thanks. Come in,” Jim said, as he suddenly seemed to become aware that they were standing in the doorway to his loft. He turned and started toward the stairs up to his bedroom. “Just, make yourself at home. I’ll be down in a minute.”  

***

Blair watched as Jim walked to the stairs. He really liked the way Jim’s light coloured trousers hugged his butt. Not now, you’re not here to ogle him, remember. Throw a few glances, sure, but not ogle.  

He turned his attention to the apartment itself. Canvases, boxes, a few armchairs, a small TV by the doorway, book shelves here and there, two bar stools by the kitchen island… The place had the awkward feeling of ‘just moved in’.  

“How long have you lived here?” he asked the loft in general, a sentinel would hear him.  

“A few years, came back here when my father died,” Jim answered from upstairs.  

Doesn’t like permanence or didn’t plan on staying here for long? Or maybe this was how Jim liked things, impersonal and haphazard. If so, what did that tell of him?  

***

“Anyways, that’s when I decided to become a cop. Mom wasn’t that thrilled about it, but she’s a firm believer of live and let live,” Blair told him over dessert. They had talked about anything and everything. Well, to be honest, Blair had done most of the talking, but Jim did not mind. He liked Blair’s voice.  

Jim shook his head. “You’re something else. You were doing fine studying anthropology and you decide to apply into the police academy just because a card reader tells you that you need to change your life. Couldn’t you have just changed girl friends or moved to a new place?”  

“Nope, if you change your life, you might as well be thorough about it. And I did move to a new place,” Blair added. “And right now I need to move to the men’s room. If you’ll excuse me,” the guide said as he rose from his chair.  

Jim watched Blair as he wove past the tables and chairs in the crowded and scent-filled Thai restaurant. The evening had been nice and relaxed. Jim could not remember the last time he felt so relaxed with a date, even his stomach seemed to have settled for a change.  

Jim turned his head as he heard someone familiar approach him. He would recognise that step and heartbeat anywhere. Fuck, it’s Dale.  

***

“So, what are you doing here, Jim? Besides hobnobbing with the Cascade police,” the stylish looking Asian man in a 200-dollar Italian suit asked.  

“None of your business, Dale,” Jim snarled.  

“Oh, but it is,” Dale said as he scanned the restaurant crowd. “If you start sleeping with the other side, it might cause trouble for us.”

“It won’t,” Jim stated.  

Dale grinned wryly. “You can’t guarantee that. See you around.” He softly caressed Jim’s hair as he stepped past him and off toward the door. Jim started at the touch and glared at the man’s back.  

Dale nodded in greeting to Blair as he passed the detective. Blair answered the greeting coolly, with suspicious eyes. Of course Blair would know him. Could this possibly get any worse?

“Something wrong?” Blair asked as he sat down.  

“No.”  

Blair looked at him worriedly, Jim looked steadily back. He did not want to involve Blair in this. He knew fully well that Blair would most probably find out all about it sooner or later, but he much preferred it to be later rather than sooner.  

“Okay, for now,” Blair said grudgingly.  

“Blair,” Jim started.  

“I want to help,” the guide said quickly. “We’re already connected, and to my mind it’s clear that we’re a match. If you’re in trouble, I want to help. I need to help.”  

‘We’re already connected’. Could it be? Has it really happened? Could it be this easy?  

***

Jim was still thinking about Blair’s statement as the guide drove him to his apartment.  

“Jim? You’ve been awfully quiet,” Blair commented as he parked the car in front of the brick covered apartment building.  

“I know, sorry. Just thinking.”  

“About what?” Blair moved closer to him.  

“About what you said. That we’re already connected.” Jim could feel the warmth pouring from Blair.  

“We are,” the guide stated in a breath.  

“You sound so sure about it.”  

“Why shouldn’t I be?” Blair’s hand was petting Jim’s thigh. The sentinel took the hand into his own and studied it.  

“I can’t connect.”  

“Yes, you can, anyone can. It’s merely a question of chemistry, and we have a good chemistry going on between us,” Blair said with a grin. Jim blushed slightly.  

“You think so?”

“Don’t you?”  

Jim looked at the face so close to him. Yes, he could sense it, the strands flowing between them, bringing them close. But he could also sense the attraction and warmth, and love growing. Jim closed the few remaining inches and kissed Blair.  

***

Blair was feeling content with his lot as he walked into the bullpen on Monday. But in the back of his mind, the gnawing worry was still present, as strong as ever. Jim had acted as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened at the restaurant, but Blair could not get the incident out of his mind. Something was going on and that something was stirring up his protective instincts.  

He sat down and looked at the computer screen. Jim was hiding something. On the one hand, he wanted to respect Jim’s wishes, but on the other hand he was worried for him. And his instincts were practically vibrating about this one.  

Blair powered up the computer and put in a search for Dale Wu.  

***

Detective Sandburg was looking at the printouts laying on his desk as his partner walked in. The older detective had seldom seen his young partner so worried.  

“What is it, Blair?” Joel asked with a sense of déjà vu.  

Blair raised his head slowly. He was clearly debating with himself how much to tell his partner.  

“It’s about Jim,” he said slowly.  

Joel sat down on his desk beside Blair’s.  

“The artist you’re dating?”  

Blair nodded. “We went out to that Thai place on Hedge road on Saturday. Ran into Dale Wu there. He knows Jim.”  

“The one with the shop in Little Tokyo?” Joel asked.  

Blair nodded grimly.  

“Kind of odd. Wu’s not known for his appreciation of the arts,” the dark detective commented.  

“I went to the men’s room for a few minutes and as I came back, I saw the two of them talking. Jim definitely wasn’t happy to see him. In fact, I got the impression Dale was warning him about something,” Blair said.  

“Did he say anything about it to you?”  

“No, and I didn’t push. Just told him I’d be ready to help.”  

“I take it you’ve been checking on Wu?” Joel asked, gesturing towards the printouts.  

“Yep, he’s the main provider of forged documents in the Cascade area, but there’s nothing that would tie him to Jim. Nothing,” Blair added quietly.  

“Except the fact that Jim knows graphics,” Joel pointed out quietly.  

Blair did not like the thought, but it was a possibility. A very remote possibility, he amended himself. Though you never know. Wu could be blackmailing him.  

He could not afford to just let sleeping dogs lie. Jim might not thank him, but Blair was determined to help him in any way he could. He put the printouts into a folder.  

“I’ll go talk with Mendez in Forgery after we finish the round of interviews,” he said to Joel.  

The older detective nodded. “Okay, if anything comes up, be sure to notify Banks. The captain doesn’t like to be kept in the dark, not even for a second.”

“I’ll remember that,” the younger detective promised. “Now, who’s first on our list this morning?”

***

“Hi, Mendez. You up for lunch? My treat,” Blair greeted a handsome middle-aged woman standing by the vending machine on the fourth floor.  

“If someone else’s paying for it, always,” she answered readily. “What’s up?” Mendez asked as she put the coins back into her purse.  

“Dale Wu.”  

Mendez raised her eyebrows. “That’s Forgery’s business. Last I heard, it had nothing to do with Major Crimes.”  

“It still doesn’t. It’s… kind of personal. At least at the moment.”  

“This I have to hear. I’ll just get my bag and you can take me to Sofia’s.”  

***

“So, what do you want to know about Dale?” Mendez asked after they had ordered their lunch. Lasagne for her and a chicken pasta for Blair. The lunch rush had not yet started so there had still been some tables vacant in the cheery Italian restaurant.  

“Whom he’s got working for him and what his connection is to the Cascade art circles,” Blair said as he nibbled on a garlic bread stick.  

“Art? Maybe some of the certificates and IDs his guys produce might be called art,” she said, somewhat dubiously.  

“I’m dating this artist,” Blair began. He told Mendez the main parts of the incident in the restaurant. The tale was interrupted only with the arrival of their food.  

“What’s your boyfriend’s name?” Mendez asked in between forkfuls.  

“James Ellison, his agent’s named Lee Brackett,” Blair told her. If he wanted her help, she needed to know the relevant facts. Still, Blair’s conscience nibbled at him. He should have consulted Jim, even if the artist was against the idea. He had the right to know.  

“Brackett,” she said to herself. “Someone’s providing Wu with class A forgeries, they’re real good. Wu’s certainly benefited from it.”  

“You think Brackett’s the one?” Blair asked. Gods, please, don’t let Jim be a forger.  

“We’ve gotten hints and faint clues that it’s someone in the art circles. They can travel around quite freely, have the necessary supplies and the experience. Not to mention access to all those nice printing machines and state of the art copiers.”  

“Makes sense,” Blair admitted.  

“I’ll look into it, you inform your captain. I might ask for interdepartmental co-operation.”  

“Will do.”

***

Jim looked at the sketch on the canvas in front of him. He tilted his head and narrowed his eyesight. A promising start, but still lacks something. He sighed. It kind of reminded him of his personal life.  

He walked to the window of his studio. It was raining outside, again.  

He had finally found a guide he could connect with, incredible as it sounded and difficult as it was to believe. He was hoping to spend the rest of his life with Blair and to finally getting to enjoy his senses. They would no longer be a haphazard unreliable nuisance, but they would actually be controllable. Or at least so it should go. Unless Brackett’s real deeply involved in forgeries and Blair finds out.  

He had heard rumours of it and had seen enough to know there was some basis to them, but Brackett had been the one who had been there for him. Jim had left his home when he was 18 and had enlisted in the army. He had been given a temporary guide and had done well in the basic training, but it had felt too much like merely exchanging one authority figure for another and he had left after the minimum two years. There had been some odd jobs and art classes, until he met Brackett. They had met at the opening of an exhibition. Brackett had tried to pick him up and they had started to talk with each other. It had been some time since Jim had met someone who was willing to listen to his ramblings. The next morning Jim woke up in Brackett’s bed, and the day after he had a meeting with the owner of a small gallery. Brackett had taken him in until he earned enough to rent a decent place to live. The other man had helped him, and Jim was not going to cause any trouble for him, not ever. But what if it’s more serious than a couple of fake IDs on the side? How much am I willing to overlook?

Jim sat down on a paint dotted stool. His stomach turned again. He put his hand on his lower stomach. What the hell’s wrong with my -  

***

Jim was still in a daze as he opened the door to the loft. He had taken a detour to the pharmacy to get a pregnancy test kit. He was not sure what to do if it was positive. There’s no way your senses are wrong about this, you just want the physical proof.  

He would have to call Matt. It was most likely Blair’s, but if Matt had been negligent with the contraceptives… Yet another fine mess you’ve landed in. As if one isn’t enough.  

***

He was pregnant; there was no doubt about it anymore. Jim sighed, and went in search of Matt’s cell phone number. The sentinels could not use any hormonal contraceptives or condoms due to their senses and allergies. There were contraceptives that worked with sentinels, but choosing the right dosage required time and precision. Unless a pair was connected and thus in a permanent relationship it was simply too much trouble to go through. Hence, it was the guide who took care of contraception in shorter-term relationships. I’m pretty sure Matt was taking the pill regularly. I sure hope he did. Ah, here’s the number.  

Jim punched in the number with surprisingly steady fingers.  

“Hi, it’s Jim. Is Matt there?… Hi, how are you?… Good to hear and you’re right, there’s something else.” A deep breath. “I’m pregnant. … You’re sure? Because that’s why I called. I … Right, you’re certain. … I get the point, okay?” Jim said sharply. Does he really think that badly of me? “I won’t bother you again. Bye.”  

Jim sat down on a plush armchair. That could have gone better. Why on earth was he so offended that I thought the child might be his?  

So, it was Blair’s. Jim did his best to relax in the armchair. He could still remember the tender kiss in the car. He had never felt anything like it. If he concentrated, he could sense Blair’s presence along the strands connecting them. It was incredible. I’m sure Blair won’t be offended, but is this too soon? Is he ready for this? Am I ready?

A knock on the door startled him out of his thoughts. Jim checked the person’s vitals as he got up to open the door. It was Brackett.  

***

No matter how hard he tried, Blair could not concentrate on the blackmail case. His thoughts kept returning to Jim and Wu. What if Wu goes to Brackett? How would he react? Blair doubted Brackett would do anything drastic, but he would not sit still either, not if the suspicions were on the mark. After all, the two had been working together for years and Jim was bound to know about his businesses.  

“Joel, I’m calling it a day,” Blair said to his partner as he rose and grabbed his coat.  

“Say ‘hi’ to Jim for me,” the older detective said without lifting his eyes from the papers on his desk.  

Blair did his best to calm his blushing as he walked out the double doors of the bullpen.  

***

“Hi, Jim. How’s my favourite artist?” Brackett asked with a mischievous grin. Jim could not help smiling at that grin, even if he was somewhat nervous about the visit. Why now? What has Dale told him?  

He gestured for the other man to come inside.  

“Would you like something to drink?” Jim asked, mostly to win time. His mind was not at its best, as part of it was still trying to figure out when/how/if to tell Blair about the pregnancy.  

“No, thanks,” Brackett said as he put his coat up on a hook and his bag down by the door. He walked slowly towards Jim with a certain familiar glint in his eye. “We can get to that later.”  

Jim stopped the hand that was about to caress his face. “No.”  

His friend seemed curious rather than offended. “There’s someone else?”  

“Yes,” Jim replied simply.  

“A guide or simply a lover?” A hand was lowered to caress his chest with feather light touches.  

“A guide.” Jim removed the hand firmly.  

“I seem to recall you swearing off guides after the latest one?” Brackett commented with humour.  

“Well, yes, but this one is different,” Jim stated.  

“Are you sure?”  

“Yes, I’m sure,” Jim answered, somewhat irritated at the disbelief clear on the other’s face and voice.  

Brackett looked at him for a while before nodding. “Okay, but let me know if he lets you down. Now as for the official part of this visit -”  

***

Jim watched through the window as Brackett got into his car. The manager had commissioned some theatre posters and a series of graphics for a science magazine. The relevant information was in two folders that were lying on the dinner table. But it was not the new jobs that occupied his mind; he knew he could do them well enough to land more jobs. It was what had happened before that baffled him. There was more to Brackett’s behaviour than had been apparent; it was as if he had been testing something. Testing to see if it’s serious between Blair and me? But why would he do that?  

Jim shook his head. He did not want to go down that road, not now.  

He heard a familiar engine coming down the road. Looks like my loft’s popular today.  

***

The door to the loft opened before Blair had time to knock.  

“Hi, Jim,” he greeted the sentinel. “Mind if I come in?”

“Not at all. What brings you here?” Jim asked as Blair walked past him.  

Blair took a deep breath. He had debated on the way over just what to say. “I wanted to see you, and to talk with you.”  

***

“About what?” Jim motioned for Blair to sit down.  

“About Dale Wu, and Lee Brackett.”  

Jim sighed as he sat down beside Blair. “What about them?”  

“I checked the records. Wu’s trafficking in forgeries and fake documents. It’s not mere suspicions; it’s a known fact. He’s not someone to be taken lightly,” Blair said carefully. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before about checking him out, but… I’m worried for you.”  

“Why?” Jim demanded.  

“In the restaurant, he was warning you off.”  

Jim sighed in irritation. “I’m okay.”

“How can you be so sure?”  

Jim looked down at his feet. That’s why Brackett was here, to check if I’m serious about him. What the hell do I do now? “I know him. There’s no need to worry, okay?” The words seemed lame even to him.  

“How do you know him?” Blair asked. He was leaning towards him.  

Just how much of that concern is for real, and how much of it is a detective at work? Geez, how paranoid can you get. Though even paranoids are right sometimes. But he could not sense any duplicity from their connection, merely concern for him. “I, I’ve seen him a few times. At Brackett’s office, they know each other,” he said, deciding to go with the truth, or at least some of it.  

“A forger and an art manager,” Blair commented dryly.  

***

Jim looked uncomfortable, and really troubled. The connection was humming with unease and distress. Blair decided to ditch the detective mode and rose from his chair. He went to Jim.  

“Hey, if you’re in trouble, I want to help,” he said softly as he petted the distraught sentinel’s shoulder.  

Jim took a deep breath and straightened in his chair, but made no move to shrug off Blair’s hand.  

“He’s helped me, a lot. He was there when I needed him and he’s never tried to get me into his… offside businesses,” Jim told him quietly.  

Blair merely nodded. Jim would have to make his own decision. No matter what Blair wanted, it was Jim who had to make the decision. It was his life they were talking about.  

***

Jim was not sure what to do. On the one hand, he felt loyal to Brackett, but on the other hand he knew that what Brackett was doing was illegal. He had told himself that no one was getting hurt, but that was not strictly true. The illegal documents and passports helped criminals get away and hide, the forged artwork helped swindle people, and Dale was certainly no pacifist. Gods, what to do? I can’t be loyal to both Brackett and Blair, like it or not, I have to choose.  

“I… I know that Wu’s selling fake documents… and forgeries that Brackett produces for him,” Jim said hesitantly. He concentrated on the hand on his shoulder, letting it ground him as he left his old life behind him. “But I don’t know who or where or when. I never wanted to know.” Jim concentrated on his hands, wringing them. He could feel his cheeks burn in shame.  

Blair put his hands on Jim’s, stilling them. “It’s okay. Mendez and her crew will get him. Now that they know where to look.” Blair bent forward to bestow a light kiss on Jim’s cheek, projecting calmness and acceptance along their connection. “You did nothing wrong.”  

***

“So?” Blair demanded as he saw Mendez finally come out of the Forgery Department’s conference room.  

She nodded, all seriousness and efficiency. “We can concentrate on Wu and Brackett now. At least we know where those forgeries are coming from. Just wish he could tell us more,” the detective added, looking at Blair significantly.  

“No. He doesn’t want to be actively involved. It’s not easy for a sentinel to testify against a friend, you know that,” the guide commented sharply.  

“Okay. I’ll let it drop. Vice’s sentinel-guide pair is going to assist us anyway,” she told Blair.  

“Martin and Arden?”

“Yep. They’ve been following the case for a while now, just in case. They’ll probably want to talk with you too. And your sentinel,” she added, nodding towards the conference room door.  

***

Jim kept his senses on low as he sat on the hard chair. He knew the female detective had been disappointed in his meagre testimony, she would have preferred more from him. Blair had been careful not to hint in any way that Jim could help them catch Brackett. Blair knew, as a guide, not to push him to choose. It had to be Jim’s choice. It was not an easy one and sometimes he wished Blair would push him, but he knew the guide was right in being careful. It did not exorcise the occasional nasty thought, though.  

Blair opened the door to the conference room. “Hi, ready for some lunch?” The guide’s tender half-smile was like a spring wind in his heart. Blair seemed in a good mood. She must have been satisfied with my testimony, or he’s just glad to have it over with. Jim certainly was.  

“Sure. I’d love to.”  

***

“So, what will happen next?” Jim asked as they were waiting for their lunches to arrive. Blair had chosen a quiet Spanish restaurant not far from the CPD. It was decorated in warm and soothing colours with soft textiles. Jim liked it.  

“Depends on how much they already have. Vice’s sentinel-guide pair will help them along. Shouldn’t be too long before they have enough to make an arrest,” Blair told him seriously.  

“And ‘not too long’ translates as?”  

Blair shrugged. “Could be anything from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.”  

“He came to see me on Monday,” Jim told him after a few seconds.  

“What?” Blair hissed. Jim could practically see the guide transform from a friend to a protector, could sense the fierceness and the streak of ruthlessness. Jim had sometimes wondered how Blair could have chosen such a violent profession, but no longer.  

“Relax, he just came to bring over some orders for me. And to, to ask about us,” Jim said, trying to pacify the other man. He tried to send calm along the connection, but was not sure how well he succeeded.  

“He thinks something’s up.” Jim could almost hear the gears shifting and rolling in Blair’s head. “Maybe you should move out for a while,” Blair suggested.  

“You just told me there’s no telling how long the case will take,” Jim pointed out. “Besides, if I suddenly move out of the loft, Brackett will certainly smell a rat.”  

“I know. I’m just worried for you. Seem to be doing that a lot lately.”  

The waiter brought over their lunches: a large salad with olives for Jim and a light paella for Blair. Blair waited until the waiter had left before continuing the discussion.  

“I mean it, Jim. I care for you, a lot,” the guide said softly. The connection was shining brightly, warming them up.  

Now would be a really good time to tell him, you know. Sometimes Jim really hated his subconscious.  

“Jim? What is it?” Blair could sense the sentinel’s disquiet.  

The sentinel looked at his unlikely guide. He was sure Blair was the right one for him and that they were really meant for each other. Surely his little news would not be badly received. Right? On the other hand, the longer he hesitated telling him, the worse the situation would be once he did drop his little bomb. Blair could already tell that there was something Jim was hiding.  

He took a deep breath. “I’ve been thinking about this the whole weekend. How to tell you, when to tell you and, I have to admit, sometimes even whether to tell you or not.”  

“You can always tell me. Whatever it is, I don’t want you to be afraid to tell me.”  

“I’m pregnant. Been for about seven weeks,” Jim stated. He did not believe in beating around the bush. Once he got to the bush, that is.  

***

Pregnant. Seven weeks. Blair did a quick mental calculation. Somewhere in between, he remembered to breathe. “Pregnant? Me? I mean, by me?”  

Jim nodded, looking uncertain.  

Blair blinked. Then he screamed. “YES!”  

Every head in the half-full restaurant turned to look at the crazy man.  

“Um, sorry. Just heard that I’m going to be a dad,” Blair explained, blushing furiously.  

“Congratulations!” came from more than a few patrons of the restaurant.  

“Great news, son!” a distinguished looking grey haired man in a suit said warmly.  

“I screamed too, you know,” one of the thirty-somethings by the window said dryly.  

“Me too. Once I remembered how to form words,” one of his friends commented. The other two by the table seemed eager to hear the tales.  

“So, this is good news?” Jim asked for confirmation as the general hubbub calmed down. He could sense nothing but excitement and amazement, but the connection allowed only surface emotions. It was only after several years that the connection deepened enough to sense more deeply.  

“Very good, couldn’t be better,” Blair assured him. “I’ve always wanted children. Well, I haven’t been actively planning or anything, but I’m most definitely not adverse to the thought or the reality.”  

“Good,” Jim said with the small content smile Blair was beginning to really like. “Then you won’t be adverse to go shopping with me, once this case is over,” Jim teased him.  

Blair could feel a dark cloud go over him. Brackett, and Wu. Shit, I forgot.  

”Blair, it will be over in a couple of months. Remember?” Jim reminded him, knowing what the guide was thinking. The sense had darkened in but a heartbeat.  

“Yes, and it wouldn’t be a good idea for anything to change right now.” Blair did not like it, but he had to admit Jim had a point. “I want you to contact me the second you feel something’s wrong.”  

“I will, don’t worry.”  

Easier said than done, love.  

***

The pair left the restaurant and started to walk back toward the PD, hand in hand. The mood was relaxed and calm.  

“I’ll let you know how the case’s going,” Blair promised.  

“Good, I want this over with,” Jim said, not looking at the detective walking beside him. The case was a shadow over him. He had finally found the lifemate he had been looking for, and now his previous omissions and neglects were haunting him.  

Blair squeezed his hand. “It will be okay. No one could blame you.”

“Except the ones making forgeries for Brackett. Not to mention Brackett himself, and Wu.”

“They dug their own graves,” Blair stated. He did not want his sentinel to brood or blame himself for the mess.  

“So my head tells me, but the heart is still unconvinced,” Jim said softly. Blair squeezed Jim’s hand and smiled at him, not judging him.  

***

Blair returned to work with mixed feelings. Things seemed to be going well with Jim, but there were still so many unknowns. And now I learn he’s pregnant, by me. I thought I’d become a father some day, in the near future, but not this near. I don’t mind it, but am I ready?  

The young detective sat down at his desk and stared at the empty computer screen. No ready or easy answers came to his mind. After a minute or two, Blair shrugged and started his computer. As he checked his email he noticed the message from Faraj Arden, asking his input on the case. He spent the next half hour compiling what he knew and what he thought the next steps could be.  

***

Jim went to the studio to work on the theatre posters. He felt relieved to have finally told Blair about the pregnancy. Now they could plan ahead, together. And just what will our lives be like? A graphic/illustrator/artist and a detective living together? Does he want more children? Where will we live? And what if this case doesn’t go well?

Jim shook his head and put the small coffee maker on. He took out the sketches of posters he had made. The sentinel took shelter in the routine of work, doing his best to put the fears and worries aside. For a few hours it worked.  

***

Blair was just about to quit work when he noticed a reply from Arden in his mailbox. He clicked into the message. After a few minutes, he phoned Jim.  

“Hi, how you doing? … I’d tell you not to worry so much, but I doubt it would do any good. … I know. All I can do is promise that I’ll do my best, and stay with you. … I know it hasn’t exactly been a long time, but I’m certain. … I know. … You remember the guide-sentinel pair I mentioned? … They’d like to talk with you, just in case there’s anything you’d like to add and to get your impression of things. Tomorrow afternoon would be the best time for them. … I could give you a ride. Maybe treat you to a dinner. … See you then. I’ll call you before I get there. … Bye.”  

Blair put the phone down. It’s as if he’s wary of meeting another sentinel. Wonder why?  

After a few seconds of thought, Blair continued the ritual of getting off work. He would find out tomorrow, or at least get a substantial clue.  

***

Jim put the phone down. He had to admit it, he was nervous about meeting a ‘proper’ sentinel. He turned back to the posters, but he just could not concentrate on them. Luckily he had gotten a good start on a series of them.  

The next day was not much better. Jim had told himself a thousand times that there was nothing to be nervous about. His head knew it, but his heart and mind were a different matter. By the time Blair drove into the parking lot of the old building, he had calmed down somewhat.  

***

The ride to the station was a quiet one as both were deep in their thoughts. Gavin Martin and Faraj Arden met them in a corridor by Forgery. Jim liked the older sentinel and guide pair. They seemed relaxed and content with their lot in life, the perfect match. Martin looked like the proverbial Southern gentleman while Arden was of Mid Eastern origin and could have posed for a romantic novel’s cover.  

The older pair showed the younger ones to a conference room. The talk was light despite the seriousness of the subject.  

“Is there anything at all you can add to the statement you gave to Mendez?” Arden asked after they had gone through Jim’s statement.  

“No, not really,” Jim said.  

“What about Brackett’s visit yesterday?” Blair reminded him.  

“You think it’s relevant?”  

“He was checking up on us.”

Jim nodded reluctantly.  

“If he suspects something’s up, it might put pressure on Dale to do something,” Arden said seriously. “Nervous people are unpredictable.”

“Didn’t think of that,” Jim murmured to himself. After a few seconds’ hesitation, he told the two of the visit.  

“Anything else?” Arden asked softly after he had scribbled down some notes.  

“No, nothing.”  

“Not even of the happy family event?” Martin asked with a grin.  

Jim blushed.  

“Martin!” Blair exclaimed.  

“Already?” Arden asked the room in general.  

Martin started to laugh.  

“You’re incorrigible,” the guide complained with tender frustration. “He’s pregnant already?” Arden asked Blair.  

“Yes. We met a couple of months ago, but what with my change of jobs and all, we didn’t keep in touch. Until a couple of weeks ago, that is.”  

“Congratulations.”  

“Thank you.”

After a few well wishes and some talk about what might happen next, Arden announced that that was it. Martin stressed that Jim should contact Blair or one of them if anything happened, anything at all. The sentinel growled softly in frustration at the mother hen attitude that seemed to be spreading at an alarming rate.  

Blair was finished for the day so they walked straight to the garage.  

“Have you been for a check-up?” Blair asked out of the blue as they were in the elevator.  

“Uh?”  

“For the pregnancy,” Blair explained.  

“Well, no.”  

“I’ll take you to a prenatal clinic I know of tomorrow morning. I have tomorrow off, so I’ll be able to be there the whole time. And no gainsaying allowed,” Blair said sternly. “You need to talk with a doctor, and you need to set up a schedule of check-ups.”  

“I’m not sick, just pregnant,” Jim pointed out.  

“I know, and I want to be sure you’ll be all right. Both of you.” Blair kissed Jim’s cheek, then moved on to his nose and eyelids.  

Jim moved his head to nuzzle Blair’s chin. They stopped as the elevator pinged.  

***

Blair hugged the still sleeping sentinel. Jim looked so peaceful when he was asleep. We’re really going to be a family. Somehow the thought made him feel calm, as if he had found his island in a storm. Geez, you know you have it bad when you’re getting poetic in the wee hours of morning.  

“Mmm, what you doing up so early?” Jim mumbled, not lifting his head from the pillow.  

“How did you know I was up?”  

“Could hear your brain gearing up and accelerating.”  

Blair chuckled and tightened his hold.  

“Just wondering how I got so lucky,” he said as he nuzzled Jim’s neck.  

“You think so?” Jim asked quietly.  

“I know so,” Blair whispered into his ear.  

“Even with, you know,” Jim asked hesitantly.  

Blair settled on the bed, holding his sentinel tightly. “Yes, even with the pregnancy. I’ve thought about children, but always in the future. I’ve had my moments of doubt, true, but who hasn’t? The connection between us is strong and I like you, love you. We both have somewhat irregular working hours, but we can work around them. We’ll be fine.”  

Jim nodded. “My turn, I guess.” He took a deep breath. “I panicked a bit when I first realised it. I suppose one reason I didn’t tell you right away was the irrational hope that if I didn’t talk about it, it didn’t exist. But it does, it will.” The sentinel stroked the arms that were holding him. “I trust you. I’m sure you’ll be a great father, and I want to be with you. I love you.”  

Blair choked down the tears. He buried his nose in Jim’s neck.  

“So, we’ll plan our future as the pregnancy progresses. There’s still time, months of it. What about any additional offspring?” Blair asked softly, petting Jim’s stomach.  

“We’ll talk about that after the first one is born,” Jim stated. “But I wouldn’t mind having more, with you,” he said quietly.  

“Me neither.”

***

Blair was nervous as they drove to the prenatal clinic. Why the hell am I nervous? He glanced at the sentinel sitting beside him, reading the morning paper. Jim was calm and collected, acting as if they were doing nothing out of the ordinary. Blair sighed and concentrated on weaving through the traffic.  

He’s already been through this, the guide realised. He’s already had to admit that this is really happening, that we’re going to be parents, a mother and a father. A father, Blair was going to be a father. He could feel a wave of excitement rush through him as he stopped at the lights. Just what is it that’s so great about it? Years of stress, frustration and worry vs. nurturing a new life, watching your offspring grow and live their own lives. I should be worried and nervous, not elated. Blair shook his head. He would be all that, no doubt, plus a few dozen other emotions. He should just enjoy the excitement and novelty while it lasted. I wonder if I have to go through this every time? With each kid?  

The light changed. Blair drove through the crossing, smiling broadly. Jim looked at him suspiciously. His guide seemed weird this morning.  

***

Blair drove off to the CPD after a morning spent at the clinic. The check-up had gone well, the pregnancy was progressing without any hitches. And it was now official; he was the father of the child Jim was carrying. To some it might not mean so much, but it did to Blair, and to Jim. It was recognition of each other, publicly. It was also something you could not walk away from the next day.  

Blair parked in the CPD garage. Jim had gone to the studios to finish a few pieces, so Blair had decided to check a few things at the office before shopping for their dinner. He wanted to do something special. He had the time and the day should be marked in some way. We’ll have to talk about where to live. My place is too small; we could move to Jim’s loft or get a place of our own. It might be more practical for me to move in with Jim, and look for a new place before the baby is born. On the other hand, it’s not good to look for an apartment with a deadline to meet. Blair made a mental note to ask around if anyone had a friend or a relative who was selling a relatively spacious apartment.  

The garage was its usual centre of activity and the elevator seemed like a haven of calm after dodging motorcycles, cars and fellow officers.  

“Mendez, hi! What’s up?” Blair asked as the older detective stepped in from the second floor. Part of his mind was going through city sections, thinking about where they could move and which areas they were going to avoid.  

“Got a lead to Wu’s forgery business. We could be talking about days here instead of weeks.”  

“That’s great. Jim’s going to be relieved,” Blair said enthusiastically.  

“Then again, Wu might panic,” Mendez commented grimly.  

Blair quieted down. Shit, I can’t exactly glue myself to his side, or ask someone to be with him 24/7.  

“There’s no reason for him to go after Jim. He’s got to know you’ve been keeping an eye on him for some time,” the guide pointed out.  

“Yep, but you never know. And he’s not exactly known for his logic.”

Blair had to admit she had a point. Suddenly the elevator did not feel such a calm place anymore.  

***

“You’re sure of this?” Wu asked sharply.  

“Yep, Dan knows what Jim looks like and his description of his lover matches that cop to a tee,” Brackett assured him. The two were standing just outside Wu’s store. It was a sunny and warm day, but the two could not have cared less for the beauty of nature. They had more important things on their minds.  

“So, the guide’s already knocked him up. Wonder how long they’ve been boffing?” Wu said to himself. He thought for a minute. “Grab him, and bring him to my house.”  

“You think Sandburg will roll over?” Brackett asked, clearly not convinced this was such a good idea.  

“For his sentinel, not to mention their child. Yes, I’m certain.”  

Brackett shrugged. Who knows, it might actually work.  

***

Jim was finishing a draft drawing when he heard Brackett come up to the door to his studio. What does he want? And why does he have two others with him? Just as the door was opened, Jim realised that he could smell gun oil on the two men.  

“Hi, Jim,” Brackett greeted him. There was a hardness in his eyes Jim had seldom seen. How the fuck am I going to get out of this one?!? For he was going to get out of it, one way or another. He was not going to be some damsel in distress nor was he going to gracefully surrender, not him, not now. Not when he had just been given a taste of how good life could be. Brackett must have noticed something for he veered to one side and motioned to the two men with him. One of them took out a pistol. “Now, just come with us. If you behave, nothing will happen.”

“And I’m supposed to believe that?” Jim commented dryly.  

“The two of you are more valuable alive than dead,” the manager stated.  

The two of  us?? What’s he – Fuck, he knows I’m pregnant. They’re planning to pressure Blair. Fuck, fuck.  

***

Detective Sandburg was finding it difficult to concentrate on the case files. It should have been simple to just check them over and sign, but it was not that easy when you had to read everything three times. The connection between Blair and Jim did not work that well over distances, not yet, but the guide could sense disquiet and worry radiating down the line. Something was up. Blair was just about to phone Jim when the phone on his desk rang. The young detective looked at it as if it was about to leap out and bite him. He had a very bad feeling about this.  

“Sandburg.” Blair straightened out and his normally friendly features froze into a grim visage. He motioned for Joel to monitor the call. Joel wasted no time in ordering a trace. “And just why should I take your word for it?” The others noticed that something was up and ceased their work. Conner walked to the captain’s office to notify him. “Jim? You okay?” Blair asked with a soft and gentle voice. “I hear you,” he said with a grin. Sounded like his sentinel was pissed about getting kidnapped. Pissed is certainly better than scared out of his wits. By now Banks had walked over to his desk. ‘Dale Wu’, Blair mouthed to him. “Like hell, I’ll be satisfied when you’re serving a life in prison,” Blair hissed as a young sounding man came back on the phone. The guy sounded confident, even complacent. Shit, they know Jim’s pregnant. Why else would he be so certain that I’ll play along? Well, at least they won’t hurt Jim.  

The phone conversation was over in a few minutes, or a few decades.  

“Sandburg?” Banks asked softly.  

“Someone’s kidnapped Jim,” Blair told him and the others who had gathered by his desk. “They’re holding him somewhere and want me to keep them posted about current investigations, including the Wu case. I’m willing to bet my career Wu’s behind this.”  

His statement was followed by a chorus of swear words and supportive comments from all present.  

“Did you get a trace?” Banks asked from Joel.  

“No, too short,” the older detective said with an apologetic smile at Blair.  

“Wu’s got a house out in Reedbank. He’d keep Jim there, out of sight and close by,” Conner said. She looked ready to shoot someone. Her strong sense of right and wrong combined with her quick temper and sharp tongue had earned her many enemies, but also several stalwart friends. Blair liked to think that he was numbered among the latter group.  

“I agree. Since Jim’s pregnant, he wouldn’t –“  

“What?” came in stereo.  

“Quiet!” The bellow from Banks cut off the interrogation about to begin. “Good. Now, when did you find out and when were you going to let us know?” the captain demanded of his junior detective.  

“This week and as soon as we made some decisions about the future, which would have been tomorrow,” Blair answered fast. Truth be told, he had not even thought about telling his co-workers about the coming family event. There had been no time to go through everything logically, he had been fluttering about trying to keep on top of everything. Bad excuse, Blair, a major minus point there.  

Banks nodded. “I expect to see your request for paternity leave on my desk in a month. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good, you think Wu or whoever’s holding Jim knows?” Banks asked grimly, reminding everyone of the current events.  

“I got the impression, yes.”

“How about we stake out his place? I’m sure Martin and Arden would be willing to give a hand,” Joel suggested.  

“Sounds good, we want to make this fast. Sandburg, you talk with Mendez. I’ll alert her captain, they have a stake in this case too. Rafe and Brown, take the surveillance van and go to Wu’s place. Conner and Swindhoff, you investigate the kidnapping. Maybe someone’s seen something. It’s quite possible this case isn’t connected to Wu, though I doubt it.” Banks sounded like a platoon commander giving orders. After a chorus of ‘yes, sirs’, he walked to his office to get the necessary paperwork started.  

“Blair?” The guide raised his head to see Swindhoff standing by him. Conner’ partner was a quiet man with an air of calmness about him. He and Conner were a mismatched pair, but they worked really well together. “Do you have a picture of Jim? And do you know where he was supposed to be today?”  

“Yes, and at his studio. I have the address right here.”

***

It took a couple of hours before Sandburg, Arden and Martin were able to connect with Rafe and Brown in the surveillance van. Conner and Swindhoff were writing their preliminary reports based on a couple of eyewitness accounts. A few of the fellow artists had noticed Jim leaving with Brackett and a couple of other men. The witnesses had made a preliminary ID of the two men. They worked for Wu. The judge had given them a preliminary permit for surveillance, to see if their suspicions were correct. Hence, everything was in order and now they just had to find Jim.  

For the hundredth time that day, Blair regretted that their connection was not yet strong enough for them to feel each other from a distance. They had to be close to each other to feel more than an inkling of the other.  

“Okay, the van’s only a few hundred yards from the house. You should be able to tell if Jim’s in there,” Arden stated. “Then Gavin can take over.”  

Blair closed his eyes and concentrated on the thread in his mind, the one leading to his sentinel and bondmate. Jim, beloved, hear me.  

***

The sentinel in question was sitting on a bed in a small guest room on the second floor of the sprawling house. The window looked out to the well-tended back yard. There were evergreens and bushes practically radiating vibrant greenness. Jim had taken one look at the window and planted himself on the bed. There was no way to open it without breaking the glass, and after that you would have to saw through the artful steel bars.  

He took another tour of the surroundings with his hearing. Yep, the guard was still sitting in the hall outside the door. Sounded like he was reading a newspaper. A literate goon, great.  

Jim, beloved, hear me.  

Jim sat up on the bed. Blair? Where are you?  

A sense of a car. Jim rose and walked to the window. There were no cars nearby, not even on the street running beside the garden, on the other side of the white chalked brick fence. They have to be parked on the other side. Good, I was getting seriously stir crazy.  

Jim walked to the armchair and sat down. He let loose his senses and spiritwalked down the connection. It was an incredible feeling, like walking on petals. And they said I would never be able to do this.  

***

Blair felt whiskers tickling his mind, sensed the vague images Jim was sending.  

“The other side of the house, above ground level, alone in a room,” Blair stated in a distant voice and opened his eyes.  

Rafe checked the sketch of the house he had drawn up earlier while Brown kept on eye on the house and the road. Blair had brought a copy of the blueprints with him and spread it out to compare with Rafe’s sketch. Arden was sitting in front of him, with Martin behind him. It was cramped in the van.  

“He alright?” Arden asked. Martin looked like a racehorse ready to run off at any moment.  

“Yes, except for being real unhappy about the whole mess,” Blair said wryly.  

“It’s not your fault,” Arden stated.  

Blair started at the quiet statement. He smiled.  

“I know, but try telling my heart that. It’s my presence that triggered this off.” Blair sighed.  

“But it’s not you who had him kidnapped, it’s not you who introduced him to Wu,” Arden reminded him.  

Martin nodded his agreement. “You shouldn’t feel guilty for someone else’s actions.”

The young guide nodded. He knew it, in his head, but it was good for his heart to hear the words spoken out loud.  

***

It was a clear and warm evening. The darkness had arrived earlier, but was kept back by the street lighting and the neon lights of the bars and restaurants. The large houses of the wealthy area added their own lightings, trying to rearrange the night to suit their own ideas.  

Detective Blair Sandburg took a breath and pushed the call button on the large oak door. He settled the leather jacket better on his shoulders.  

The door opened and a grey-haired older man looked at him, cataloguing him in an instant.  

“Yes?”

“Blair Sandburg to see Dale Wu.”

“Come on in,” the man said after a second’s pause.  

Step one complete.

***

Captain Banks was standing by the 6.5 feet tall brick fence. He was feeling uncomfortable in the bulletproof vest and with a rifle. This was not his idea of a good night out.  

“Everyone in position?” he asked through the radio. He listened to the answers as he scanned the alley one more time. “Is Sandburg in? … Good. Then let’s go.” He nodded to Brown who opened the pick-locked rear door to the garden after a five second count, enough time for Swindhoff to cut the wires and silence the alarms.  

***

Blair followed the butler to the study on the first floor, right beside the stairway to the second floor. Blair could sense Jim nearby. He’s right above, Blair realised. It was a struggle not to raise his head to look up.  

The study was a light and airy room with bookshelves reaching up to the ceiling. The books seemed too neatly arranged and they had an air of being unused and neglected. Wonder if he even knows what books he has. Probably bought them with the furniture.  

“Detective Sandburg, a pleasure to meet a representative of the Cascade police. What can I do for you?” Wu asked from a large and comfortable looking armchair by the large windows.  

“You can take me to my sentinel for starters,” Blair said. No sense beating around the bush, and he did want to get to Jim before the ruckus started.  

Wu actually chuckled. “Now, now, what makes you think your sentinel is here? I thought the pairings were forever.”  

“Don’t try to BS me. I know you’re the one holding Jim. I want to see him for myself before I agree to anything,” Blair said impatiently. Wu’s good humour was rubbing him the wrong way.  

The older man shrugged. “Why not? You can both join us for dinner afterwards.” He signalled to a young Hispanic who had been standing to the side. “Take the guide up to his sentinel.”  

Blair followed the youngster up the stairs.  

***

“Well?” Faraj demanded. He was crouching by the bushes beside the terrace and was reminded yet again why he hated these outings. Wet, cold, slimy, I’m an urban police officer not some bloody commando.  

“Blair’s going upstairs with a guard. Wu’s actually letting him see Jim,” Gavin said calmly. Rescuing a fellow sentinel was right up his alley and he was enjoying letting his senses fly.  

“Step two complete,” Faraj announced through the walkie-talkie. “Let’s go.”  

***

“What’s up?” an older Asian man sitting in an armchair asked as Blair and his guard came into view.  

“The guide’s here to see his bitch,” the young one said dryly. The other one nodded and put away his book.  

Blair bit his lip to keep from biting the guy’s head off.  

***

Jim heard his guide coming closer. The others were in position and moving into the house. It was all going nicely, so far.  

He took a deep breath and told his stomach to behave. It felt like the baby was sensing his disquiet.  

The door opened to reveal Blair. Jim smiled warmly at his guide.  

***

Blair breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Jim. He was okay, their child was okay.  

As he stepped into the room an alarm sounded. He decked the youngster and was running towards the other guard as the older man was getting off the armchair.  

***

Jim ran to the hall. The first guard was getting off the floor and taking out his gun, clearly dismissing Jim. Bad mistake. Jim kicked him unconscious and turned to see Blair down the second guard.  

“Two others coming this way,” Jim said as he took the first guard’s gun from the floor. He nodded to the stairs toward the third floor.  

Blair took position on the other side of the hall.  

***

There were not that many guards in the house itself and the invasion was quickly accomplished. Blair was somewhat miffed that it was Martin and Arden who arrested Wu. Brackett had not been found in the house, or in his office.  

“He’s taken off,” Jim said. He, Blair and Banks were standing outside, by the main doors. The others were escorting the bad guys to the waiting police cars. Some were taken off in ambulances. “He always did have a plan B ready.”  

“I’ve got an APB out on him. He’ll be caught sooner or later,” the police captain announced confidently. “Now, excuse me, but I have a major bust to organise. I’ll leave you two to yourselves.”  

Blair moved closer to Jim.  

“You okay?” he asked as he put an arm around his bondmate. He had not let Jim out of his sight all evening.  

“Yep. Blair, I. I’m glad you let me help you.”  

Blair nodded. It had not been easy to see Jim take that gun and stand by him. He had been scared something might happen to him, but Jim knew how to handle weapons. If he had told the sentinel to take cover and let him take care of everything, Jim would have done it, but he would have thought Blair did not trust him, did not love him enough to let him help. It would have soured everything, and it would have been unfair. They were equal.  

“It wasn’t easy. I want to protect you, cherish you. You and the little one,” Blair added, patting Jim’s stomach.  

“Just don’t let it overtake your common sense,” Jim said jokingly, but with a serious undertone.  

“I won’t, I promise.”  

Jim nodded. They would be all right. They would have their ups and downs, but those were to be expected in any relationship. They would live together, work together (more or less) and raise their children together, as mates and partners. After all, they were matched, and in love.  

***

end