Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
583
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
19
Hits:
2,252

First Kiss

Summary:

Josh kisses Alex in front of their families. Prequel to "Racing to the Lake", part of the series "Life in Latimer, CO".

Work Text:

It wasn't something he had intended to happen. Sure, he thought about kissing Josh a lot but never in public. Never surrounded by Josh's family. And really, never ever in front of his own father.

His father knew he was gay or, more likely, believed Alex thought he might be gay. His father's answer to most of his stuff was, "you're a kid, you question everything" or "go run laps, it'll clear your head".

Well, running laps wouldn't help him now. His knees were weak, his heart was pounding in his chest, and there was this itchy feeling that wriggled down his spine right to the base of his-.

"What did you do that for!" Alex gasped, pulling away from Josh. He stumbled on the carpeting and some toy, and sat down heavily on the stairs. Somebody, probably Tessie or Naomi, giggled. Alex could feel the blush start at his toes and work up.

"You were standing there." Josh frowned at him. "Under the mistletoe. What was I supposed to do?"

"It's just- It's not- you can't-." Alex stammered, finally closing his eyes and clamped his mouth shut.

"Did you know that Alex is gay?" Josh's Uncle Matt, beer in hand and party hat angled precariously on his head, asked Alex's dad. Logan grimly looked at his son.

"Yes, I know." He replied. "I was hoping that a change of scenery and getting away from those goofy friends of his would clear things up."

"Our children don't always make choices that we agree with." Grandma Laura sighed, clucking her tongue.

"Mom." Gabe cut in before anyone else could speak. "I don't want to hear it."

"Must be hard, though. Being in the military, and your son is not only artistic but gay." Deb smiled up sympathetic at Logan.

Alex groaned, and slapped his hands over his ears. He muttered, "I hate you."

"Alex." Josh groaned as he walked over to him. "You were standing there looking so lost, and I've wanted to kiss you for ages."

"Oh, like when you were dancing with Rachel whatsername at the prom?" Alex's eyes popped open and he glared up at Josh. Apparently he could still hear fine. "Or getting Jane with the big boobs a glass of punch?"

"Don't be rude about Jane!" Emma shouted from down the hall. "It's not like she wanted them!"

Josh knelt down in front of Alex, resting his hands on his friend's knees. He ignored their audience and hoped Alex would too, though the chances were small- especially with his dad right there.

"You wouldn't talk to me at the dance. You were angry and I didn't know why." Josh spoke softly.

Alex sighed heavily. "I was-. It was stupid. I didn't know what to do. I'm sor-."

Josh leaned forward and pressed his lips to Alex's. His tongue snuck out and licked the full lower lip, nipping it lightly before pulling it back.

"Be my Valentine?" Josh winked.

"Oh god." Alex felt the blush returning full force.

From above them on the stairs, Josh's aunt Teresa called out, "Happy New Year!"

It seemed weird when Alex thought about it later, hearing wolves howling so close to the house. Josh's mom asked who was outside, someone called from the kitchen about the pies in the oven, and the world seemed to shift back into action.