Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
778
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,258

Tigh's Needs

Summary:

Just what the title says Tigh's Needs - Adama/Tigh -- takes place after Resurrection Ship Pt. 2

Work Text:

I admitted it to myself. I was jealous, jealous of how close he was to her. It was good for the Commander of the Galactica and the President of the Colonies to get along so the fleet wouldn't splinter, but there were limits. I was a selfish fool for only caring about if she would take him from me.

He ordered me to his quarters when he came back from Colonial One. The door was open and I stood outside for a moment, just watching him and drawing strength as I always did from his presence. He stood in front of his desk, his back to me. His head was bowed and there was something in his hands that I couldn't see.

He sensed my arrival and raised his head. "Come in, Colonel," he ordered in a quiet authoritative voice. "And pull the hatch closed behind you."

I did as I was told. I stood just inside. "You wanted to see me, Commander."

He turned to face me and smiled. He held a small black box in his hands clasped in front of him. "Yes, Saul." He tossed it to me. "I don't know where the President got them."

I tensed at the mention of her name and hoped he wouldn't notice. He knew how I depended on him and I didn't want to make it worse. I opened the box to find Admiral's insignia. I looked up at him and couldn't help but grin. "If anyone deserves it, it's you," I said, letting all of my love and admiration fill my words.

"Thank you." He chuckled ruefully. "I never stopped hoping I'd get them, but I stopped trying long ago." He frowned. "I'm sorry that it took Admiral Kane's death."

I didn't know what to say to that and he'd know if I agreed just to agree. Admiral Kane was worthy of respect for keeping the Pegasus together and surviving, but I knew that she was a danger to Bill. If it suited her, she would have killed him without hesitation and since he's what kept me going...

He went behind his desk, opened one of the drawers, and took out a bottle of whiskey and two glasses. He filled them and motioned for me to join him. I stood across from him and he handed me one. "To Admiral Kane," he toasted her.

"To Admiral Kane," I echoed and downed my drink in one shot.

He finished his and screwed the cap back on the bottle and put it away. He came back around to my side of the desk and regarded me for a long moment. His gaze was intense and it always sent a thrill through me to be the focus of his attention.

I still held the box at my side and he wrapped his hand around mine. His voice was low and yet compelling. "Put them on me."

My throat was dry. "I thought the President would do that."

He rubbed my fingers and then brushed his thumb across my cheek. "I want you to do it."

And I was ridiculously proud of that fact. I opened the box and set it on the edge of the desk. I took my time removing the Commander's insignia from his collar. I felt the heat from his skin and briefly touched his neck with my fingertips.

He was patient, letting me enjoy myself. I took the symbols of his new rank and pinned them in place. Then he caught my hands and kissed one palm and then the other. "You know that I still need you, don't you Saul?"

He couldn't have needed me half as much as I needed him. I learned that lesson the hard way when he was in the infirmary fighting for his life and there was nothing I could do to help him. Before I realized what I was doing, I pulled him into a tight hug. I buried my face in the side of his neck.

"It's okay," he whispered. He pushed me away just enough to see my face. He kissed me tenderly. "It's okay."

I took a deep breath. "It's just that I--"

Of course, he knew my doubts and interrupted, "No more, Saul. I've told you before. We're getting through this together." He took a step back and straightened his uniform. He stood straighter. "Let's get back to work."

I always followed his lead and this was no exception. I came to attention and saluted. "I'm at the Admiral's service."