Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 7 of Risks
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import, ksl's works
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-03-28
Words:
25,791
Chapters:
8/8
Comments:
5
Kudos:
105
Bookmarks:
10
Hits:
24,015

Risks 7: Covering the Risk

Summary:

Note: Hey all. I'm back. :-) This one will probably span the episodes Under Cover and Frame Up. I'm going to ignore the episode 'Probie'. By all rights, I think it should have aired before Frame Up....doesn't track that everyone would be so sure Tony was being framed and yet fail to show the same faith in McGee. At least not to me. I'm also probably going to ignore the episode Model Behavior. It doesn't fit in my little world here. :-)
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Sex...not yet. But that will happen as we go, rest assured. :-)
Spoilers...why yes, several.
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash mailing list. This list can no longer approve new members posts, please join us at NavyNCISslash2

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Part 1

Chapter Text

Covering the Risk
by ksl

part 1

Ziva David had assumed Tony DiNozzo was a lightweight. Nothing she'd learned about him had led her to believe any different.

The research that she'd done for her brother had revealed him to be from a wealthy family. She expected him to be the quintessential spoiled rich boy. He was probably denied nothing while growing up. She assumed he knew nothing of pain or loss, neglect or hunger, strife or struggle.

He'd completed high school at an elitist Northeastern finishing school. She figured that he had probably been sent there at the result of expulsion from a public school for juvenile high jinx. His rich family had no doubt suppressed the incident, making sure to leave no record for anyone to find.

His academic ability certainly hadn't been anything special. Tony was an average student at best, nothing remarkable or impressive. His major in college was nothing more than fluff, a platform for showcasing his athletic ability. By all accounts he was talented in that area, but she seriously doubted he could have made it as a professional. Every athlete believes him or herself to be better than they really are.

Law enforcement was likely not his first, or even his second or third, career choice. Ziva had assumed he played at it, treating the job like an adult version of the child's game `cops and robbers'. He would probably end up working at his family's company when he tired of playing.

Until joining NCIS, Tony hadn't been able to hold a position in law enforcement for more than two years. While his file didn't say so outright, she assumed it was incompetence or perhaps some sort of sexual harassment lawsuit that had him moving so frequently. She'd thought he had some sort of political leverage or perhaps Gibbs had some unique, unlikely soft spot for him. There was no other way for Tony to have made it as long at NCIS as he had.

She'd conveniently overlooked the commendations in his file. Those didn't mean anything. It wasn't like he'd worked alone. Everyone on Gibbs' team had commendations in their files. DiNozzo having more commendations than his teammates could be explained away as political. It could be another effort to curry favor with his family, or simply due to his length of tenure. No one else had been on the team as long as he had.

After she started working for Gibbs, she realized how wrong she'd been about DiNozzo. Gibbs didn't suffer fools. He would have fired Tony if wasn't up to the older man's exacting standards. For all his childish antics and effort spent on entertaining himself, Tony was no fool and more than capable as an investigator.

He might not work consistently, and play more than he should, but there was nothing wrong with the final product. Tony ferreted out information as well as she did. And he had an uncanny ability to put together the pieces.

She'd never met anyone who could recognize a woman just by her ass. Hell, he'd only seen that Marine's wife, Jamie Carr, on a soft core porn video when she faked her death, but DiNozzo still knew who she was. Dyeing her hair hadn't helped her out at all.

He'd recognized another woman, Laura Osgood, just by her jaw line and cheekbone. Osgood had later yielded to pressure from Ziva during an `interrogation'. While the information Ziva had gotten had certainly helped crack the case, they wouldn't have known who to ask if not for Tony.

Small comments clued her in that Tony's childhood might not have been quite what she'd thought. McGee obviously knew something because he'd made a statement about unresolved issues between Tony and his father on the very first case they'd worked together. But unlike stories of Tony's love life, McGee hadn't supplied specifics.

Tony's own casual revelation that his father had abandoned him in a hotel for two days, forgetting about him until getting a room service bill, made her wonder even more about his childhood. For all her father's faults, he'd never abandoned or forgotten her.

Tied to a chair, listening to that big hulk of a man hit Tony repeatedly, had definitely caused her opinion of him to change. They were without backup, cut off, and he hadn't panicked or ever lost sight of the mission. He held up his end admirably.

It had left her momentarily stunned when he'd suggested she barter for her freedom to get back to their room, hopefully getting help there, while he stayed behind. He was decidedly blasé about his own potential death, simply stating that no plan was perfect. She never would have expected him to be so cavalier.

It was not false bravado. She'd seen enough of that to know the difference. He seemed to genuinely believe that his death was a minor issue; the case was more important.

She'd never admit it, but the large knife their captor had held worried her. A lot of damage could be done with such a weapon in the hands of an expert. And she had no doubt about their captor's abilities. She hoped she hadn't looked as relieved as she felt when Tony put his plan in motion, saving her from any injury.

She hadn't thought he'd even liked her. In hindsight, she realized he was a better agent than she. He didn't have to like her to put her well being first. She was a teammate, a coworker, a comrade in arms. That was enough.

It was Tony who'd actually bonded with their captor. She hadn't known what to say when he'd asked how far along her pregnancy was. She'd been so sure Sofia Renee knew she was pregnant, but hadn't known enough to pick a time frame. Tony's `three month' assertion had drawn their captor's attention back to him and away from her. Tony had gotten the man to reminisce about his own children.

She wasn't sure what to expect when she and Gibbs burst into the room 356. The sounds of another beating carried easily through the door. She felt a surge of rage at the son of a bitch for hurting Tony more than he had already. She was prepared to shoot the bastard, once in the chest and once in the head, just for good measure.

She'd been relieved to find it was Tony kicking the shit out of the guy and not the other way around. The ferocity of Tony's attack was a bit disturbing, but not all together unjustified. That he'd managed to best the brute while still tied to a chair had Ziva upping her estimation of Tony's abilities again.

She'd tried not to take it personally that the first person he spoke to was Gibbs and that was to demand a divorce. Even though it had been just a cover, she couldn't deny the simple fact that she'd enjoyed spending time with Tony. He'd made her laugh.

Gibbs moved quickly to cut Tony loose, forcing Ziva out of the way. He'd cupped the younger man's face with a gentleness she found surprising. She knew he could be kind, but Ziva hadn't expected to see him display such open concern.

"You okay, DiNozzo?"

Tony smirked, looking down at the man at his feet, still trapped beneath the chair. "Better than he is, Boss."

Gibbs cocked his head to look at the prone man. He pursed his lips in a silent whistle. "Did a number on him."

"Sorry, Boss." Tony didn't sound or look at all apologetic. Ziva couldn't really blame him. And from the looks on Gibbs' face, he didn't either.

"McGee," Gibbs called over his shoulder, "order an ambulance for this guy. Think he's going to need it." Blue eyes gave Tony a critical once over. "He might not be the only one."

"I'm good." Tony shook his head. He swayed dangerously when he made it to his feet. If Gibbs hadn't moved fast enough to catch him, Ziva was certain Tony would have ended up on the floor.

"I think you better let someone else decide that." Gibbs' tone was sharp, but Ziva could hear the anxiety in it clearly.

Sheppard had told her Gibbs looked out for his own, and took the welfare of his team very personally, but this was the first time she'd gotten to see it first hand. Ziva was somewhat surprised to realize how gratifying it was to know she was now one of Gibbs' people and would receive the same consideration. Although, she got the feeling Tony somehow received the lion's share. She wasn't sure why she had that feeling, she just did.

"I'm okay." Tony made a half-hearted effort to shrug out of Gibbs' firm but gentle hold on his arm. Ziva frowned. It worried her that Tony still didn't seem entirely steady on his feet.

"How many fingers?" Gibbs asked, raising just one digit on his right hand so that Tony had a clear view.

"If I'd known there was going to be a test, I'd have studied," Tony muttered.

"DiNozzo." Gibbs barked, his voice softer than Ziva would have expected but no less commanding. "How many?"

Tony squinted, one eye closing. "Two?"

"You are definitely letting someone look you over."

Tony sighed, and closed his eyes. It was a clear sign of capitulation. Ziva could see him leaning more heavily into Gibbs, the older man easily supporting his weight.

"Can I lie down until they get here?"

"Sure." Gibbs moved with Tony, helping him lay down on the bed. Tony flinched, his breath hitching as he stretched out. He swallowed hard. Ziva recognized the greenish cast to his skin and looked for a trash can just in case.

"You okay, Tony?" He'd definitely come out worse for this case than she had, and Ziva couldn't help feeling a little guilty. It wasn't her fault, but she still felt bad about it.

"M'fine." Tony gave her a small smile. He winced as he shifted on the bed, his right arm curling around his abdomen. Ziva had forgotten he'd taken a few shots to the chest and stomach. You miserable prick, she thought giving the man on the floor a dark look tempted to kick him again for good measure. Punching Tony in the gut hadn't been necessary to get him to comply with the order to sit in the chair and allow himself to be tied.

"Cuff that son of a bitch." Gibbs ordered, tossing Ziva his hand cuffs. The venom in his voice didn't really surprise her. It was probably a good thing he was focused on Tony and not the downed man. She was fairly certain she hadn't been the only one to enter the room prepared to shoot first and ask questions later.

Ziva smiled darkly as she complied with the order. He was unconscious and unlikely to cause any trouble now, but it was better to be safe than sorry. She made sure the cuffs were tight enough to be uncomfortable. The paramedics could work around them if they had to.

"Ambulance is on its way, Boss." McGee offered quietly. He looked uncertain, glances darting nervously around the room before flittering back to Tony.

"Everything okay in here?" A bald man Ziva didn't know asked as he leaned in through the doorway. She trained her gun on him as a precaution.

"Just fine, Fornell." Gibbs glanced up to make eye contact, one hand still resting on Tony's shoulder. He made a stand down gesture to Ziva.

Ziva nodded, lowering her weapon as she recognized the name. She'd never met Tobias Fornell, but she'd heard of him. And looking at him, she realized she'd seen a few photos of him in various case files. He was better looking in person.

By all accounts, Fornell and Gibbs didn't like each other, but Ziva wasn't sure she trusted those reports. An entire conversation seemed to pass between Gibbs and Fornell in that one look. They didn't seem like bitter enemies to Ziva.

"Damn, DiNozzo, you look like hell." Fornell grimaced as he looked Tony over. He seemed genuinely concerned. Ziva realized she'd underestimated Tony again; most people who'd met him seemed to honestly like him.

"Still look better than you." Tony retorted, smirking back at the senior FBI agent, green eyes a bit glassy. The bruise along his left cheekbone and jaw was starting to darken. The blood on Tony's chin and upper lip was a stark contrast to his pale complexion.

Fornell rolled his eyes. "Good to see your ego is undamaged, DiNozzo."

The FBI agent offered Gibbs a clean handkerchief. Gibbs used it to very gently wipe the blood off Tony's chin before holding it under his nose. It could have just been dismissed as basic first-aid, but Gibbs was once more show more compassion than Ziva would have expected from him.

"Tip your head back a bit," Gibbs instructed, carefully pinching Tony's nose to help stop the bleeding. Tony grimaced but did as he was told.

"Ziva, McGee, get back down stairs and take care of the two we left in the other room."

Ziva frowned. "I would ratherâ€""

"That was not a request, Officer David." Icy blue eyes fixed on her added emphasis to his no nonsense tone. It was clear Gibbs wasn't going to tolerate any argument from her. "I'll go with Tony to the ER."

Ziva's jaw tightened in displeasure. She'd wanted to be the one to go with Tony, to make sure he was okay. He'd been her `husband' for the last two days; he'd stuck his neck out for her, it was the least she could do.

"Don't worry, Sweet Cheeks." Tony pushed Gibbs hand away from his face, sitting up slowly. "We'll meet up with you back at the office once the docs give me the all clear."

She gave him a dirty look for the pet name. She knew he called her that just to annoy her and seriously doubted he'd use such an endearment with one of his ladies. It was also his way of reassuring her he was okay. Ziva wasn't sure why he thought it better for her to be pissed than concerned.

Gibbs shook his head, his expression a strange mix of pride, affection and exasperation. "DiNozzo--"

"Abby will be worried, Boss." Tony softly interjected, shrugging one shoulder, looking apologetic and determined at the same time. He licked his split-lip, wincing. "She'll want to see for herself I'm okay."

After losing Kate, it was almost a ritual among them to visually check in with one another when any sort of life threatening situation had been encountered. It was another thing that made Gibbs' team so different from what Ziva was used to. They were nearly family...a crazy, dysfunctional family, but family nonetheless. She was surprised by how much she wanted to be a part of that.

Fornell traded a look with Gibbs, before the FBI agent dipped his head and left. She saw McGee looking warily from Gibbs to Fornell, the set of his shoulders relaxing only after Fornell had stepped out of the room. Clearly the junior agent still thought Gibbs and Fornell were just barely tolerating each other.

"Go." Gibbs gave her a pointed look. "Now."

Ziva headed for the door with a disgruntled sigh. She glanced back over her shoulder and could have sworn she saw Gibbs leaning forward to hug Tony. Before she could be certain of what she saw, McGee stepped forward and neatly blocked her view, pulling the door half closed behind him. There was something almost protective in his stance, and she got the feeling he'd blocked her view on purpose.

"We, ah, better get back upstairs." McGee nodded toward the elevator.

Ziva nodded, letting him herd her away from room 356. There was a mystery there. There had to be. McGee wouldn't have moved to hide something unless something needed to be hidden.

Ziva filed it away for further consideration. She liked puzzles.

TBC