Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import, ksl's works
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
262
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,883

Celebrating

Summary:

Just a stray little thought that insisted on being written down. I'm not telling you the pairing...because it doesn't matter. You can put anyone in here that you want to. :-)
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash mailing list. This list can no longer approve new members posts, please join us at NavyNCISslash2

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Celebrating
by ksl

I marked the date on my new calendar. Bright red....bold, obvious and unmistakable. I didn't want to forget. Didn't want to have its importance get lost in the daily grind, and other bullshit that seems important but isn't.

That's happened to him before. The day was overlooked, disregarded, unmarked. Couldn't let it happen ever again.

He said the day wasn't important. I disagree. It was very important. To him. To me.

Christmas, Thanksgiving, hell even the Fourth of July are all mandated holidays. Everyone celebrates those. It's nearly required by our culture. But one's birthday...the anniversary of your first breath, the hallmark of your existence, the benchmark of how far you've come and how far you've yet to go...now that is a day of personal significance that should not be unobserved, ignored or ever forgotten.

I want him to know he matters to me. That I give a damn that he was born and am grateful for his existence. That one more year with him means too much to me to simply be lost in the shuffle.

So I mark the date on my calendar. Mark it in my PDA. Set it up in my mind has having as much meaning as New Years, Easter or Labor Day....give it the significance it deserves.

I schedule the day off. Ask for the leave early so there is no way I can't have that time with him. No idea what the hell we'll be doing. But it doesn't matter. As long as we celebrate it together.

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author ksl.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.