Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,392
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,544

Open Your Eyes

Summary:

Face finds out what he really needs.

Work Text:

Open Your Eyes
by Stiney

To say that Face was utterly confused was an understatement. One minute he and Murdock were sitting on the couch at his apartment watching old Star Trek reruns and the next, Murdock was... kissing him!?

"Whoa, what are you doing, Murdock?" Face yelled as he pushed his friend away.

"Face, hold on, lemme explain," Murdock said, holding his hands in front of him to ward off any blow that might come from the conman.

"Yeah, please do," Face said, wiping his hand across his mouth as he stood up. He looked at his friend who was sitting on the couch with his arms outstretched.

"Well?" Face pressed. Murdock had kissed him. And not a smack like the pilot was known to do when he'd get excited, but a full, on the mouth, pressed hard together, tongue running against lips, trying to gain entry kiss.

Murdock finally locked eyes with him and sighed.

"I just couldn't help myself. You just looked so gorgeous sitting there, and I've been thinking about it for so long, it felt like it was now or never. I love you, Facey, really I do. I shoulda known better. I'm sorry." He stood up and stumbled towards the guest bedroom before Face could say anything in response.

*****

Murdock paced the room, unable to sit still. He'd been in love with Face since the first time they met back in Vietnam almost 15 years ago. Tired of hiding it he decided to make his feeling known, only to have everything messed up.

"Oh my god, what have I done?! He'll never forgive me! Oh, stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do, Murdock. I gotta talk to him. Oh, please don't let him hate me." He cried to out the empty room as he reached for the door.

*****

Face stood in the same spot he'd been in when Murdock had confessed his feelings. 'Murdock in love with me?'

"Boy, oh boy," he said, running a hand through his hair. He finally sat down, staring at the movie still on the TV. He kept replaying everything over and over in his head. Murdock kissing him, Murdock professing love to him, Murdock, Murdock, Murdock.

"What am I supposed to do?" He asked quietly to the room.

"Still be my friend and not hate me."

Face jumped and turned to Murdock, who stood behind the couch staring at him.

"Murdock, come here." He motioned for the pilot to sit next to him. Murdock looked so incredibly miserable it tugged at Face's heart.

"Look at me. I don't hate you. I could never hate you. You're my best friend. I care about you. I love you, but I'm not..." He stopped and looked away.

"You're not in love with me. I know, Face. I just had to take a chance and let you know how I felt. It was eating me up inside. It's alright, I'm alright. Just promise you won't leave me."

Face couldn't stand looking at Murdock like this, tears falling freely, knowing that he had caused his friend this pain. Reaching out and pulling Murdock to him, he hugged the pilot tightly.

"Shh, Murdock. No, I'm not going anywhere."

After Murdock had calmed down Face was the one to retreat this time. He had to be alone to try and make better sense of everything that had happened.

"I'm heading to bed. I'm really tired. Are you sure you're ok?" He asked Murdock, who had focused all his attention on the TV as if nothing had happened between them.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Go to bed, Faceman."

Nodding, Face walked to his room.

He tossed and turned most of the night, unable to sleep. He briefly heard low sobs coming from the other room, and cursed himself for causing Murdock such grief.

*****

Face knew instantly he was dreaming as he looked around. He was standing on a beach at the water's edge. Further out in the water was Murdock, motioning to him. He shrugged, and then swam out to where his friend was. The water was just above waist high.

"Murdock, what are you doing?"

"Swimming. Come on, Templeton, let's go out further."

Face suddenly felt nervous, looked back at the shore then back to Murdock.

"I don't know, Murdock. I've never been out that far."

"Don't worry. I'll take care of you." Murdock smiled soothingly, reaching out his hand to Face.

Face held his friend's hand for a minute, showing he trusted him, before they started off for deeper water, never once looking back at the shore.

*****

Face woke up and looked around the dark room. He vaguely heard music coming from the living room.

*****

IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS SOMETHING OF LOVE THAT WAS MINE
NOW THAT IT`S GONE WHOA I`M CRYIN
OH THE TIME THAT IT TAKES FOR A LOVE TO GROW
COLD IS A WONDER TO ME
I'M WALKIN AROUND WITH MY HEAD HANGIN DOWN TELL ME
WHERE IS SHE
OH GIVE ME SILVER BLUE AND GOLD THE COLOR OF THE SKY
I`M TOLD
MY RAY AY AINBOW IS OVERDUE


*****

He stood up and grabbed his robe. 'Oh my God, all this time, the only damn person I needed was right under my nose, and I never noticed.' Opening the bedroom door he walked out into the hallway and looked into the living room at Murdock, laying on the couch in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, arm draped over his eyes, quietly singing to the song.

*****

DON'T FORSAKE ME CAUSE I LOVE YOU
OH GIVE ME SILVER BLUE AND GOLD THE COLOR OF THE SKY
I`M TOLD
MY RAY AY AINBOW IS OVERDUE
DONT FORSAKE ME CAUSE I LOVE YOU

*****

Murdock heard Face walk into the living room but didn't want to look at him. This had been the most embarrassing night, and he just wanted to forget it, pretend he never said anything, and pretend he never kissed those gorgeous, soft lips.

They stayed that way, not moving; Face standing against the mantle and Murdock lying on the couch, still singing with the tape as another song came on.

*****

LOVE ME SOMEBODY, SOMEBODY LOVE ME
TAKE ME FOR WHAT I`M WORTH
BUT ONLY LOVE ME BUT ONLY LOVE ME

WELL I WAS THE CRAZY FOOL
WHO FOLLOWED YOU HOME FROM SCHOOL
I WAS HOPING THAT YOU WOULD KNOW
BUT YOU HAD TO GO BREAKING MY HEART

LOVE ME SOMEBODY, SOMEBODY LOVE ME
TAKE ME FOR WHAT I`M WORTH
BUT ONLY LOVE ME BUT ONLY LOVE ME

*****

Face moved to the couch and leaned over Murdock, running a finger lightly across his forearm. He watched Murdock move his arm to look at him, a questioning look in his eyes and he started to say something but Face moved in and kissed him.Running his hands through his friend's hair he pulled away when Murdock began to shake.

"Murdock? Are you ok?"

Murdock stared at him disbelieving and sat up. "What are you doing? Don't do this to me. What do you want me to do? I try and tell you how I feel earlier and you tell me you don't feel the same and now here you are kissing me. If you're doing this because this is what you think I want you to do then don't do it."

Face shook his head and took Murdock's hand.

"I'm doing this because I want to."

"Why'd you change your mind?" Murdock asked.

"I didn't need to change my mind. All I needed to do was open my eyes. I'm always trying to get stuff I think I need. And I realized that the only thing I really need is you." Face looked Murdock in the eyes when he made his confession, and never felt better as he saw Murdock smile and reach for him.

Murdock pulled Face to him and whispered in his ear. "You know what Jagger says, you can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need."



THE END