Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
7,676
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
10
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
2,388

Wanted - A guide

Summary:

Jim finds his Guide, Blair disagrees with him - at first.

Work Text:

Authors: Kata Avalon & Ami
E-mails: kata_avalon@yahoo.co.uk & SciFiCatGirl18@aol.com
Disclaimer: Not mine and not ours, unfortunately
Notes: Co-authored by Kata & Ami. Kata wrote the beginning, but then got stuck. Ami graciously offered to help i.e. she was suckered in *eg* Cheerleaders: Beaver, Stormy and SH

***

A black cat with a few grey hairs sprinkled here and there on its stomach fur was lounging on a warm lawn in Cascade Central Park. It was a sunny summer day, so he was not the only one enjoying the light and warmth.

//Why is this so difficult? I thought Derry would have been right, but nooo. The old tail-swisher just had to announce that he was to be Corrie's Guide. Furballs.//

The cat was keeping an eye and an ear on the happenings in the park as he lay on the ground, flatter than a Frisbee.

//Maybe I should ask for a Guide from another territory, though that would mean travelling out of Cascade since I've probably gone through all the Guides here.//

The black cat raised its head as he heard a group of youngsters heading his way.

//Now what's *this*?!//

The cat's eyes zeroed in on a curly-haired young man enthusiastically explaining something to a blond young woman walking beside him. The cat rose in one fluid motion.

//Well, he's a full human, but a Guide, and he smells like a shaman, or something similar. He could do.//

The cat followed the group as they settled near a large tree just on the other side of the clearing.

//Okay, now let's see if I can find out just who he is.//

The cat walked unhurriedly towards the group of three young men and women. They looked like students out for some sun, fun and relaxation. He veered unerringly over to the one with the food.

//Ah, food, gives me a good excuse to stay nearby. Besides, that tuna pie *really* smells good.//

"Look. Your tuna pie has already attracted one party crasher," one of the young men said with a grin.

"So it would seem," the Guide said and looked at the cat.

//He cooks too, good. Let's just hope he doesn't already have a Sentinel looked out for him.//

"Think he's a stray?" one of the women asked, as the cat parked itself near the food containers.

"Too well groomed and well fed for something like that," the young man with the food said, as he started to pet the cat.

***

The cat walked back toward his home late in the afternoon. His stomach was full from the tuna pie and the bits of fish and vegetables the students had had with them. He had also learned that the Guide was a TA named Blair Sandburg. //So far so good, let's hope the rest goes as smoothly.//

***

Sandburg opened the door to his office in the University of Cascade's Anthropology Department and froze. After a few seconds of pure confusion, he backtracked and checked the name on the door. Yep, it said 'Blair Sandburg'. He looked into the office. It sure did not *look* like his office.

"Morning," a grave voice said from behind him.

Blair jumped up, turned and dropped his backpack, which hit the floor with a loud thud.

"God, Eli, you just about gave me a heart attack!" he complained, clutching his shirt and leaning on the doorsill.

"My apologies," the grey haired professor said, unconvincingly. "You just looked so... flabbergasted there that I couldn't resist."

Blair took a few deep breaths and collected his backpack.

"Look for yourself," he said, pointing into his office.

Stoddard raised an eyebrow and moved to look into the office, the usually cluttered, one-step-from-utter-chaos office.

"It's...immaculate," he said in amazement.

Everything was in place; the floor was clear of books, papers and assorted trash. The desk was clean and the trash bin was empty. Stoddard sniffed. The office had been aired too! He turned to look at his student.

"Based on your earlier behaviour, I presume you didn't do this."

"Nope. Left on Friday, stayed away Saturday and Sunday for a change, and found this just now."

"Think we should report this to the police?" Stoddard asked. He did not like the sound of this.

"And say what?!? That some good soul came and cleaned my office?"

"You're probably right," the older man agreed. "Let me know if anything else happens," Stoddard said as he turned to leave.

"I will," Blair promised.

***

The cat looked out the window, whiskers twitching. The Guide should have arrived at his office by now and found his gift.

//Maybe I should have done something else? Maybe he didn't like it? Then again, the office was in such poor shape. He'd probably just been too busy to clean the place up. But it *is* his home territory, kind of.//

The cat jumped down and changed his form.

"Only one way to find out," the now tall, blue-eyed man said to himself.

***

Sandburg was sitting on his chair, still wondering about his office. Everything was marked clearly with post-it notes (in a neat handwriting), so he had no trouble finding anything. It looked like someone had merely wanted to do a favour, but the office no longer felt like his. It was so... different.

//But who would go to all this trouble?//

A knock on the door cut off his thoughts.

"Come in."

//Hello, good-looking.// Blair reined in his thoughts. Okay, so the hunk was just his type, but it was way too early to start having such thoughts. Even if he was yummy.

"Can I help you?" Blair asked, congratulating himself for not drooling.

The man looked at him and opened his mouth, then closed it. A cloud of sadness seemed to pass over him. "You don't like it," he stated.

"Like what? What -" Blair fell silent mid-question, as the only possible (at the moment), explanation came to him. "You mean this?" he asked sharply, gesturing at the neat shelves in his office.

The man nodded.

Blair took a deep breath. He really should be angry, but the guy looked so sad and... disappointed in himself.

"Why don't you sit down and explain to me just what's going on? 'Cause I think I missed something really important."

***

The cat-man sat down on an old chair. He really did not think the Guide would be willing to help now, but he did owe him an explanation.

"I thought you'd like it. I mean, I came here and... it was the first thing that came to mind," he explained.

"Why did you come here?" the Guide asked.

"To see you. I don't know where you live, so this was the best alternative." //Maybe I should have gone to his home first? Found out where it is?// Too late for that now, though.

The Guide leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes.

"Do you have a headache?"

"A bit," the Guide admitted.

"I could massage your neck. It might help."

"No. No. No need," the Guide said hurriedly.

"Okay." //He doesn't even want me to touch him.//

***

//Shit. Why do I feel like such a heel? I'm not the one breaking into someone's office and rearranging everything. But he looks so...miserable.//

"Let's look at it this way. Why did you think you had to do something for me? And what's your name, by the way?"

"Jim. And, umm, I don't have any money for the more traditional gifts, so I thought I'd, you know, do something instead. Not a very bright decision, it would seem," Jim said quietly, looking down at his shoes.

//Gifts?// Blair looked at Jim, concentrating on his aura. The guy was a Sentinel shapeshifter, and it looked like he had been without a Guide for some time. //Great, just my luck.//

"I'm not looking for a Sentinel, not right now, but I could direct you to someone who is," Blair offered in a soft voice.

Jim actually pouted. "You don't want to be my Guide?"

Blair opened his mouth, but closed it before saying anything. He thought about it for a few more seconds. //He's not bad looking and I kind of like him already, even though he *is* somewhat weird. But a Guidehood? It would mean permanence, responsibility for my Sentinel...//

"It's not the right time for me to be a Guide, not now and probably not for some years," Blair said with determination. He did not want to offer any false hope to Jim.

It ached his heart to see the disappointment in the Sentinel's eyes.

"I... I won't... bother you anymore, then," Jim said quietly, looking like an abandoned kitty.

Blair could not trust his voice, so he merely nodded. He bit his lower lip as he watched the Sentinel get up and exit his unusually neat office. //I made the right choice, I know I did.// So why did he feel like such a moron?

***

Jim was pacing, feeling restless. He was convinced he and Blair were meant to be a pair. Surely his instincts could not be playing tricks with him?

He looked out the window. The day was moving into late afternoon. If he left now, he could catch Blair as he left the University. Jim grabbed his shirt and was out the door in a heartbeat.

The elder of the clan twitched his whiskers. Either the youngster was in love or his Guide was one of those hardheaded ones. Then again, it might be both. //Life should be interesting around here for the next few days.//

***

The young Sentinel did not have to wait long on the university's grounds. As soon as he saw Blair leave the building, followed by a few students, he walked briskly to the old truck he had borrowed from a littermate. It was old, but still serviceable.

Kind of like Blair's car, Jim noted to himself. The main difference between the two vehicles was the fact that Blair's had been serviced within the last two years and could most probably be trusted to actually start every morning.

Jim noted the address of the apartment building where Blair parked his car. It was an old warehouse that had been transformed into loft apartments. //Wonder how he can afford this?//

After an hour spent in a coffee house opposite the building Jim was pretty sure that this was Blair's home and he would be doing household chores for a while, or working on his lectures. It was time to go to the city archives and the library. He probably should have checked on his Guide earlier. He might have been better prepared.

***

The more he found out about his would-be Guide, the more depressed he became. //This is hopeless.//

***

The elder sighed at the folly of youth and left his sunny spot on the couch. He rose up the creaky stairs and towards the soft sounds of wailing and sobbing. //Surely he's not suffering from a broken heart *already*?!?//

"What is it this time?" the grey furred cat asked from a crowd of younger cats sitting before the males' room.

"It's Jim, sir," a dark striped cat answered him. "He's been like this ever since he came back."

The grey cat sailed into the room. Jim was sitting on his sleeping pallet, quiet for a change. //That's not usually a good sign.//

The elder jumped up beside him. "Now, what's wrong?"

*Sniff* "It's. I met this Guide yesterday. Thought I'd found him, but now." *Sniff*

"Yes?"

"He said no," Jim whispered. "But I. I followed him. Checked him in the library." *Blowing nose*

"Okay. You met this un-bonded Guide yesterday. You asked him to be your Guide, but he refused. So you checked up on him. Am I right?" Jim nodded sadly. "What did you find out?" For surely there must be more to this, or they would have been subjected to this drama earlier.

"He works with the police as a consultant," Jim wailed. "Quite successfully, too." Another, though meagre, flood of tears started.

The grey cat thumped the bed with his tail. Now this sounded serious.

"He has refused you?"

*Sniff* "Yes."

"Considering he's working with the police, I really cannot recommend another proposal," the elder announced.

"But I'm sure -" Jim started tearfully.

"No. He works with the predators and he has made his decision." 'And will no doubt choose one of the un-bonded predators as his Sentinel,' remained unsaid.

The elder transformed into his human form and pulled the younger shapeshifter into his arms. The young Sentinel would find another Guide, eventually.

***

He was in a field, playing with a large black jaguar. Running, chasing, tumbling...it was a lot of fun. He couldn't remember the last time he'd just played. Despite his yen for little responsibility in his life, he still managed to not have much fun.

He didn't know who this cat was, but he could tell they were friends.

"Oooff!" The cat had pounced him. Was he wrong about it? He'd thought the cat was his friend, but maybe... //What the...? He's *licking* me?// And he was. The cat was licking his face, long swipes of the tongue. It was actually kinda nice...soothing.

He decided to just lie back on the grass and enjoy his tongue bath.

*Ring!*

//Huh? What's that?//

*Ring!*

He didn't want to leave the cat, but something was pulling him away.

*Ring!*

Blair bolted up with a start, the phone's ringing echoing in his ear.

"A dream...it was only a dream," he breathed, panting. The phone started to ring again, and he grabbed the receiver.

"Hello?"

"Sandburg." Captain Simon Banks' clipped voice came to his ears. "We've got a housecat Sentinel creating a disturbance in the mall, and none of the other unbonded Guides can get close to him. We need you down here ASAP."

Blair sighed. "Yeah, Simon, I'm on my way."

Blair was still shaking off the dream as he yanked on his pants. It had seemed so real. Could it be a vision dream? But why would he receive a vision dream? And about a Sentinel?

//Later, much later.// He hastily finished dressing and grabbed his car keys on the way to the door. He would have to go by the 24-hour diner to get some coffee. Double espresso, if there was any.

By the time Blair arrived at the mall, he was actually feeling human again.

An officer at the doors pointed him to the eastern end of the mall.

There was a small cluster of police officers standing by the doors to the large herbal shop. Blair was surprised to see Megan and Joel there. //Why is Major Crimes present?//

"Hi, guys. What's up?" Blair asked as soon as he was within hearing distance, for non-Sentinels that is.

"It's a kitty," Megan commented dryly. "Looks like he's high on catnip. Wouldn't let Whinster or Doone get close."

"Great, how bad off is he?" Blair asked as he went through the relaxation exercises.

"Well, he's been shapeshifting on and off, hissing at everyone and everything, attacked a couple of shelves," Joel listed. "Megan's kept him from leaving the store. Despite her being a lot larger, it looked like he was actually going to attack her for a minute."

"But he didn't?"

"Nope, meaning he's not totally off his rocker."

Blair nodded and entered the store.

Blair walked carefully deeper into the store. The housecat Sentinels weren't as large as the predators, but they were still not to be taken lightly. They could change into two forms: a small one and a larger one, with the larger weighing from 15 to 20 kg. This one was high, which meant it was changing to and from its forms, as well as having its senses go wild. Not a good situation to go rushing into.

At the moment, the Sentinel was crouched in a corner, huddling into itself. It was a small jaguar and for some reason it looked very familiar...

***

He didn't know what had happened. He'd tried a free sample of a new tea and the next thing he knew his senses were going crazy!

Everything hurt -- sounds, smells, even the air.

He couldn't control his form, shifting every few minutes.

He finally managed to stay in his larger feline form and just huddled in a corner, trying to make himself as small as possible, so less sensory information could bombard him.

Suddenly, through the morass of pain, a scent teased his nose.

It was the most wonderful smell, musky and herbal, light and pure.

It was his Guide!

Blair had come. He would help him. He would stop the pain and the hurting.

***

Blair stopped, surprised, as the housecat Sentinel seemed to sniff the air and then just padded over to him.

The Sentinel curled up by his feet and mewled in confusion and pain. He seemed to be begging Blair to help him.

Kneeling down, Blair received a shock. The housecat was the jaguar from his dream!

Blair stared at the cat until a soft whimper brought him out of his shock.

"Sshh, we can figure this out later, now we just have to get you calmed down, so you can sleep it off. After a few doses of sedatives," Blair said softly.

The Guide started to caress the cat, speaking softly, sometimes whispering, but all the time offering a calm and steady sensory input.

***

A voice like balm soothed his ears, touch like honey calmed his senses and created a safe haven. The storms calmed and he could stand down. There was no need to fight anymore; his Guide was taking care of everything. He was safe.

***

Blair could feel the Sentinel relaxing and starting to shift to his smaller form, and started. It was the crazy Sentinel who had cleaned up his office!

***

It had been quiet for some time and Megan had announced that the Sentinel had reacted well to Sandburg, so Simon decided to enter the store. The medics walked in a couple of steps behind him, and settled by a large shelf of dried cooking herbs, waiting. Everything looked good: the Sentinel was lying in Blair's lap, practically purring, and it stayed in one form. The only problem was the Guide; Blair looked absolutely flabbergasted.

"Blair, you okay?" Simon asked, for the second time. The Guide looked like he had just seen the mayor do the Can-Can.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, Simon, I'm fine." Blair didn't seem to notice that he was still petting the Sentinel; when he did realize it, he stopped, only to have the Sentinel growl slightly. He went back to scratching behind the Sentinel's ears.

"How about the housecat?" Simon prodded.

Blair looked down at the purring puddle of feline bliss in his lap. The Sentinel was almost asleep. "He seems good. I don't know what happened, but he's better now. Won't even need the sedatives, I think."

"You think you can get him to tell us what happened?" Simon asked.

Blair nodded. "When he wakes up, maybe."

***

Blair held Jim's hand/paw as the medics carried him to the waiting ambulance. The Sentinel would need to be observed for any possible after-effects of the catnip.

"I'll come by the hospital as soon as I finish here," Simon told him as they walked to the ambulance.

"Okay, I'm sure Megan will be very thorough," Blair said with a wry grin. She hated catnip dealers with a passion.

"Any possibility it could be something other than catnip?" Simon asked, as Blair hopped into the ambulance.

"Nope, he had all the classic symptoms. I agree with Megan on this one."

Simon nodded. He agreed with the analysis too, but they would need to look at other options as well.

Blair settled on a foldout chair beside the Sentinel. //We are going to have a long talk once you wake up.//

***

He was warm, and comfortable...and his Guide was near. Those were the first things that came to mind as he woke up.

Eyes opening, he blinked at the brightness of the hospital room. //Hospital?// Looking around, he spied Blair, asleep in a chair next to his bed. He reached out and shook the Guide's shoulder.

"Wha... Huh?" Blair yawned and looked at Jim. He smiled. "You're awake. Good."

"Hey, Chief," Jim said, smiling back. "What happened?" he asked curiously.

Blair frowned. "You got high on catnip and started tearing up the herb shop."

"What?" Jim looked confused. After thinking for a minute, he grimaced. "It was the tea," he swore.

"Tea?"

"Yeah, I got a free sample of a new tea at the herb shop, and then I started feeling weird. It must've had catnip in it."

"Tea? Why would there be catnip in the tea?" Blair thought out loud.

Jim shrugged. He didn't know, but he was sure Blair would figure it out.

"The store's in a mall, central location," Blair mumbled. He rose and started to pace. Jim watched him curiously.

"You can easily hide catnip in tea containers, put a few stronger blends in and the smell can be covered, too."

"So, a container was broken or someone mixed boxes?" Jim asked from his bed. He sat up to watch his Guide. It was a nice sight, too.

"Uh?" Blair started. He had almost forgotten Jim was there. "A broken box or a torn bag, I'd say. If you had gotten pure catnip, you'd be in intensive care right now."

Jim shivered. "How long will they keep me here?"

"Until tomorrow morning." Blair opened his mouth to say something more, but then closed it after a second. "Simon Banks, a police captain, is getting some coffee. He'll want to hear your story."

"What story? I just...went there. Wrong place at the wrong time," Jim said miserably. How did he always get so unlucky?

Blair sat down beside the Sentinel on the bed.

"It will give the police a good reason to check the place out and possibly get a lead on a major catnip case," he explained.

"Really?" Jim asked, sounding a bit excited.

Blair nodded.

Just then, Simon walked in, carrying two coffee cups.

"Hi, you're awake. Good. I'm Simon Banks, a captain at Major Crimes. The doctor's coming by later with some juice for you," he said to Jim. "Nothing with caffeine for you today."

"Thanks," Blair said as Simon handed him one of the coffees.

"So, what happened?" Simon asked as he sat on a chair by Jim's bed.

Jim sat up a bit straighter in the bed.

"I went to the store to get some tea for the litter. There was nothing out of the ordinary in the store whatsoever. The clerk, Danae, was making some tea. She said it was some new kind that the store had just gotten." Jim sighed and leaned back on the bed. "I didn't smell anything funny."

Blair patted Jim's hand. "That's okay. With a strong tea, you wouldn't."

"I drank some of it. After a few seconds, everything went crazy. The next clear sense is of Blair."

"There was nothing odd?" Jim shook his head. "Anyone else in the store?"

"Just Danae, me, a couple of other customers, and the owner," Jim said, thinking back.

Simon nodded slowly. "Blair?"

"They're using tea containers and boxes to smuggle in catnip," the Guide stated.

Simon nodded slowly. "It makes sense, but would they make such a mistake?"

Blair shrugged. "Most cases are solved because someone made a simple mistake."

"You can come to the station and give your testimony later in the week, or I can have someone come over," Simon told Jim as he rose from his chair. "I'm off to talk with a judge about a search warrant. See you later, Blair."

"Bye, Simon."

As the Captain left the hospital room, Blair turned back to the Sentinel. "So, you feeling okay?" he asked.

Jim nodded slowly. "Better. The room isn't spinning anymore, and my senses have quieted down. But they're still spiking a little."

Laying a hand on Jim's arm, Blair started rubbing small circles on his skin. "Can you use the dials?" he asked.

Jim nodded slightly. "Yeah, but they don't always work. I need a Guide to make them work better." He looked at Blair hopefully. "But now that you're here, you could help me, right?"

Blair sighed; he really didn't want to bond with a Sentinel at this stage in his life. But there was something about Jim...

"Well, I could help you out for right now, but that doesn't mean we're going to bond. Okay?" He had to make sure Jim understood that.

Jim nodded sadly. "All right, Chief. But I'm still going to court you. I can change your mind, I know I can." He smiled.

Blair sighed in frustration. "Well, I can't stop you, but no more cleaning, okay?" He shot the Sentinel a hard look.

Jim nodded. "You got it, Chief."

"Now, let's use those dials. Where's touch?"

Frowning, Jim said, "About six."

"That's way too high, man. Lower it to about a two; you still gotta be able to feel pain, but you don't want it to overwhelm you."

Brow furrowing with concentration, Jim nudged the mental dial lower. Six...five...four...three...two! There, it was done. And his skin wasn't tingling anymore.

He opened his eyes and smiled. "Better."

Blair grinned back. "Okay, now about the others...."

***

Blair was still thinking about Jim and his offer as he *finally* arrived at his apartment. It had been a long day. First helping at the mall, then going with Jim to the hospital, helping the Sentinel, working at the university...

He sighed. He could feel the responsibility weighing on him.

He smiled as he remembered the housecat Sentinel. Jim had been so eager to work with him on his senses. The not-so-subtle flirting had been an invigorating change from his usual fare.

Maybe he should reconsider his decision?

Blair shook his head. No, there was no room in his life for a Sentinel. Was there?

He kept thinking and pondering and turning the question around and upside down as he went through the preparations for bed. He was way too tired to watch the news this evening.

Blair sighed and told his mind to take a rest as he lay down under the covers of his oh-so-soft and inviting bed.

Closing his eyes, he drifted into sleep.

Warm, slick, wet...*tight*. He was moving and thrusting, and God, it was so good. His hands were bunched in soft fur and keening mewls echoed in his ears as his cock was squeezed in a velvet vise.

//Fur?// His eyes flew open and he stared into the glowing blue orbs of a small jaguar...Jim.

As the knowledge that he was fucking -- no, making love, this was making love -- with the Sentinel trickled down through his brain, the housecat's orgasm overtook him, and Blair felt Jim spasming around him, pulling his own completion out of him.

In the aftermath, he lay dazed in Jim's arms (paws?), his head resting on Jim's furry chest, Jim's warm purr rumbling in his ear as the Sentinel licked his face softly.

He closed his eyes and drifted back to sleep, only to wake again almost instantly in his bed, his lax cock sticky with his nocturnal emissions, sheets tangled around his legs, sweat dripping down his body, heart thundering in his ears.

"Oh, God... This can't be happening."

He had heard of people who were obsessed with Sentinels, but had never considered himself one of them. That left only one option, only one possibility.

Jim was his Sentinel.

Blair flopped back down on the bed.

//This is soo not happening. Then again, would it be so bad?// If the dream was any indication, it would not be *all* bad. But what about the rest of it?

Blair looked at the clock. 1:30 AM.

Not the best of times for in-depth analysis of his life.

He got up and padded over to the bathroom to clean up a bit.

//Okay, pros and cons. Commitment, being together, having a regular sex life and a steady relationship, being responsible for a Sentinel, being in a partnership.//

Blair cleaned up in a daze and headed back up automatically, still deep in thought.

//Is any of those a con on its own?//

Blair got back into bed, still debating with himself.

//Maybe I should just stop thinking?//

***

Next morning, Blair had progressed to thinking about the practicalities.

//What about an apartment? Should we get a new one? And what about the work and sense practices?// The Guide pondered as he was fixing breakfast.

Blair stared at the eggs he could not remember making. He sighed.

"This is crazy. It's official, I've finally flipped."

***

He was in his larger feline form, on his back, moaning in delight as his Guide fucked him long and slow. It was wonderful; he'd never felt anything like it. This feeling of being filled in this most primal way, by the one he loved the most...

Blair was moving inside him, the Guide's hands clenched in his fur. He growled as Blair's cock went deeper inside him, filling him fuller, and the Guide's eyes flew open, staring straight into his own.

At that moment, Blair's cock brushed over his prostate, and his orgasm overtook him, pulling the Guide's completion from him, filling him full of Blair's warm seed.

In the aftermath, they lay panting together, Blair's head pillowed on his chest as he licked his beloved's face softly, a purr rumbling deep in his chest.

Closing his eyes, he felt sleep come over him, only to wake and find himself back on his sleeping pallet.

In his sleep, he'd changed into his larger feline form, and his cock was poking out of its sheath, wet and sticky with his cum. He blushed as he realized he'd ejaculated in his sleep. That hadn't happened since he was a cub!

His heart warmed as he thought about *why* he'd cum in his sleep. He'd had a vision dream about Blair, which could only mean one thing -- Blair was his Guide, and they would soon be together.

Noticing that everyone else was asleep, he slinked quietly over to the bathroom to clean up.

***

Blair was driving to the university when he suddenly changed lanes and headed for the police station instead. He wanted to see how the catnip case was going. The lecture notes could wait.

"Hi, guys," he greeted Rafe and Brown as he entered the Major Crimes. The two detectives greeted him warmly. "Where's the resident pair?" Blair asked, as he noticed that Joel and Megan's desk was unoccupied.

"They actually have today off," Rafe told him.

"As does the pair in Vice," Brown commented.

"Both?"

"Yep, and the captain ain't happy about it. Someone in personnel made a bit of a blunder," Brown grinned wryly.

Blair nodded. There should always be at least two Sentinel-Guide pairs on duty. The pairs assisted in a number of cases, from search to crime scene investigation. One pair was always assisting crime scene investigators, and another pair was helping out in a detective unit. In CPD, the Vice and Major Crimes each had a pair. And the CSI pair was neck deep in work already.

If there was an emergency or a break in a case, there would be no pair to help the detectives.

"So, how's the catnip case going? Any leads in the herb shop?" Blair asked, trying to change the subject slightly.

"Yeah, the herb store owner rolled over on his supplier and told us about a shipment tonight. But without a Sentinel, we can't verify the location," Henri grumbled.

"Man, that sucks. Maybe-"

"Chief?" a soft voice asked, interrupting their conversation.

Turning, Blair saw Jim standing in the doorway of MC. He was shifting uncomfortably and trying to keep away from most of the cops. Most housecat Sentinels were uncomfortable in police stations, because they smelled of predator Sentinels.

"Jim!" Blair was surprised to see the Sentinel here. "What're you doing here, Big Guy?"

Jim grinned slightly and walked over to stand next to the Guide. "Uh, Captain Banks said he wanted to take my statement, so I thought I'd do it as soon as possible." He looked sidelong at Rafe and Henri and said, "I couldn't help overhearing your conversation. Um...if you wanted, I could verify the location for you."

Rafe and Brown looked at each other.

"Uh, that would be great," Rafe said. "But only the testimony of Guided Sentinels counts in court."

Jim looked at Blair. "Blair could guide me. Just for today," he suggested earnestly, when he saw a mulish expression cross the Guide's face.

Rafe and his partner just looked at Blair, waiting for his answer. They knew of his reluctance to bond with a Sentinel, and weren't about to push him. After all, they needed his help, and since Blair wasn't technically employed by the PD, he could leave any time he wanted.

Taking in the hopeful expression on the detectives' faces, and the pleading expression on Jim's, Blair sighed. "All right, guys, I'll do it."

The Sentinel grinned. "Thanks, Chief. You won't regret this."

Blair mock-glared at the Sentinel. "I already do, Big Guy."

"Oh," Jim sighed, looking miserable.

Blair felt like the worst kind of a brute. "It's okay, I was just kidding," he assured the Sentinel, petting his back.

Jim's mood lifted and he smiled at the Guide.

//I like his smile.//

Rafe and Brown did their heroic best to keep their faces straight. Blair was *so* gone. The Guide had definitely found his match.

"*Ahem!* I'll just, go inform the captain that we're good to go," Rafe said and rose from his chair.

***

Simon was glad to get going. He had been worrying about the case all morning. He simply gave Jim a dozen waivers to sign and told him to be careful and follow Blair's and the detectives' instructions *at all times.*

Jim nodded in the appropriate places, signed the papers thrust at him and followed Blair to his car. Jim had come by bus and Blair was to act as his Guide anyway, so they drove together.

//I sure hope I'm not butting into the predators' territory,// Jim thought, worried about the possible talking to he might receive about this. No doubt Megan would understand, but she would probably still disapprove of his actions. Or maybe not, he had met her just once, so he could not know for certain.

***

They drove toward the harbour. One car drove on, but the three others parked in a large, rusted and weedy ballpark.

Blair and Jim exited the car and walked over to the van where Simon was holding a meeting.

"Okay, the stash should be in an abandoned part of the warehouse, just past the office building by the fish market." Jim grimaced in distaste. Fish smell always made him hungry. "Blair and Jim will be first, Rafe and Brown will be covering them, Windhoff and I will be a bit further off. The CSI will be standing by in case they're needed. I certainly hope they'll be needed. Any questions?"

No one had any.

Jim and Blair started to walk in the right direction, pretending to be merely going to the fish market.

Jim looked at the Guide out of the corner of his eye. Something was bothering him.

"You know, I had this great dream last night." Jim could have bitten off his tongue. He had not meant to just blurt it out.

Blair started. He looked like a beached fish with those huge eyes and an open mouth.

Then he grinned. "Yeah, me too. *Real* nice."

Jim blushed at the leer in the voice. "So, um, what do you-"

"Jim. We can talk later. I'm not *totally* adverse to this whole idea, but, I, need some time," Blair said softly.

"Okay." Jim smiled to himself. Everything was going well. Blair had practically said 'yes'.

***

Their conversation lapsed as they neared the warehouse in question. Jim wrinkled his nose as he caught the scent of herbs underneath the fish smell -- thyme, rosemary, cinnamon, lavender, and overlaying it all, catnip.

"It's in there. Catnip, and lots of it."

Blair nodded. "OK, let's get closer. We have to make sure it's coming from that warehouse."

As they approached the door to the warehouse, Jim said, "The door's unlocked. Should we go in?"

Blair thought for a moment. "Maybe...just to look, though."

They crept closer, Blair opening the door, and Jim slipping inside before Blair could go first.

"Jim!" His admonishment was broken off by a cry from the Sentinel.

"Shit!" Jim shouted as he was doused with several pounds of dried herbs.

Blair rushed over to Jim, pulling him out from underneath the pile of herbs that had fallen on him and dragging him out. The place was booby-trapped!

"Are you all right, Big Guy?" Blair asked breathlessly. They were standing just outside the open door.

Jim blinked glazed eyes and stared at the Guide. "Yeah, Chief, I feel *real* good." He started nuzzling Blair's chin. "*Real* good."

Blair gulped. This did not look good. His libido disagreed with that assessment, though, as he looked at the Sentinel purring in his arms.

"Blair!"

The Guide turned around. Rafe and Brown were running towards them.

Jim stayed glued to Blair's side.

"Yeah, we're good," Blair said while keeping one arm around Jim and grabbing a wandering hand with another.

"Err, what's happening?" Brown stammered out as he watched Jim nipping at Blair's chin.

"He's just feeling *real* friendly. There was a booby trap aimed at any pair that came sniffing around," Blair explained. Had they been a bonded pair, investigating by themselves, the two of them would be *very* busy right now, as the bond would have transmitted the 'heat' from the Sentinel to the Guide. They would not be doing *any* official investigating for some time. It was a simple and efficient booby trap, designed to simply buy some time.

Blair could see Simon and Windhoff jogging their way.

"Anything else? Like, something more serious?" Rafe asked, as he was eyeing Jim with fascination. Blair felt a stab of possessiveness and jealousy at the gaze.

"No, Jim did not pick up anything else."

"So, this is it?" Simon asked for confirmation as he arrived by their side.

"Yes," Blair squeaked out. Jim's other hand had just found one of his special spots at the small of his back. How on earth had Jim managed to sneak a hand under his shirt without him noticing it?

"Then I see no reason for you guys to linger," Simon said with a straight face. "Unless you think he should be checked?" the captain asked seriously.

"No, no need. He just, err, needs to cool off."

Blair pushed Jim toward the street, and the waiting car. //Now, this should be an interesting car ride,// Blair sighed to himself.

They got to the car with their clothes intact, mostly due to Blair's nimble hands and inventiveness.

Blair strapped Jim in and walked to the other side of the car. He steeled himself and entered the car.

"Blair?" Jim asked softly.

Blair turned to look at soft and loving eyes.

"You do know that the herbs only bring already existing emotions to the surface?" Jim asked in a purring voice.

Blair nodded. His throat felt dry suddenly. He was fixed to the spot by that gaze.

"I do love you. And I do want this; don't you?"

Blair opened his mouth, and closed it. He did want this. So why was he being such a stubborn ass about it?

"Yes, I do."

Blair *really* loved Jim's smile.

***

Fifteen minutes later, Blair pulled into his parking space in front of Prospect Place. With their understanding that as soon as they got to Blair's place, they'd bond, Jim had managed to keep his hands mostly to himself, allowing Blair to drive without worrying about a crash.

Opening his door and locking the car behind him, Blair headed upstairs, Jim following on his heels. As soon as they entered his loft apartment, Blair found himself pinned to the door, his mouth being devoured by a horny Sentinel.

Their tongues tangled together for long moments, Blair's hands fisting in Jim's shirt as he moaned into his lover's mouth.

"Let's go upstairs," Blair breathed huskily. "I want you, long and slow."

Jim growled his approval of that idea and grabbed Blair's hand. He turned quickly towards the stairs, almost running up them, pulling Blair along behind him.

They tumbled onto the bed, rolling around on top of the covers, kissing, nibbling, stroking, and removing items of clothing whenever they thought of it. Soon, they were both naked, skin-to-skin.

Blair found himself crouched over Jim on hands and knees, panting as he looked down into his Sentinel's eyes. They were both hard and leaking, and Jim was rubbing himself unabashedly against the Guide, begging for Blair to take him.

"Please, Chief...I need you. I want you. Fuck me!" he demanded hoarsely.

"Shh, love, I will, I will." Blair reached into his bedside table for a tube of KY, bypassing the condoms, since they were preparing to bond. He knew he was clean, and Jim most likely was as well, since he was unbonded when they met.

Slicking his cock with the cool gel, he started preparing Jim, stretching him with one finger at a time until he was nice and slick.

"Are you ready?" he asked breathlessly, staring into his love's eyes.

Jim nodded, breathing deep. There was such naked need in his eyes, it took Blair's breath away.

The Guide settled between the Sentinel's legs, not saying a word. The Sentinel opened his legs for his Guide, putting them around the Guide's waist.

Blair could hear the spirits, could taste the pleasure as he entered Jim. Slow and careful, ever mindful of the Sentinel's heightened sense of touch.

Jim was surprised at how easy it was, how good. He had expected it to hurt at first, but there was only the pleasure and the rightness of it all. He did not know whether it was because of the herbal mixture that had heightened his passions or simply because they were meant for each other. After a second, Jim decided it did not matter any.

Then Blair was all the way in, and Jim decided that rational thinking was *way* overrated.

Blair lay on top of Jim, trying to catch his breath, to slow at least a bit.

"Blair?" Jim whispered into his ear.

"Yes, love?" Blair gasped.

"Could you, like, move?"

Blair chuckled. "With pleasure."

And it was that, a pleasure. There was the love, but also the passion. Jim felt like he was drowning in it as Blair moved inside him. The Guide had never felt anything as good as when he was making love to Jim. It was passionate and loving at the same time, and totally addictive.

But like all things, it could not last forever.

Blair could feel it nearing. He tried to stave it off, but could only last a few thrusts more. He almost passed out as he came inside Jim. The Sentinel felt the seed rushing into him. It triggered his own release.

At the moment of their mutual orgasm, the bond settled in place.

Jim became aware of a warm feeling at the back of his mind. It reminded him of Blair. As for Blair, he could sense things far beyond that of what he could normally; his senses were slightly heightened.

"Wow," Blair breathed, staring into Jim's eyes. "It feels so..."

"Good," Jim finished, grinning at his Guide.

"We're connected," Blair said softly, happily. He smiled at the Sentinel -- *his* Sentinel.

"You're mine." Jim placed a hand over Blair's heart.

"And you're mine." Blair returned the gesture.

As they leaned in for a kiss, they knew their bond would never be broken.

THE END