Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,185
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,813

Praying to the wind

Summary:

A golden cage is still a cage.

Work Text:

Disclaimers: not mine
Notes: based on a plot bunny/scene abandoned by Marian Lockwood

***

He was lying on the floor of the cell he shared with a dozen other breeders. The floor was not that cold, but it was hard and he could feel his muscles starting to ache. He was staring at the nondescript roof, studying it more carefully than it warranted, and waiting for their captors to come.

It had been just another day, windy and cold. He had been in his rooms, waiting for his father to finish his business deal and take him to visit a friend as he had been promised. Sometimes the old man forgot such promises so he was not holding his breath or anything.

He looked out the window at the garden below it. Father had been talking about arranging for a match for him, saying it was time. Maybe he should ask father about it or was it too soon? Maybe he should wait for a few days more.

Then he heard it, the sound of several high-power engines heading toward their quarter of the large sprawling city. Then came the light of destruction and the sounds and cries of fighting. He would remember those for the rest of his life.

He had seen his father's dead body as the soldiers had taken him away. His father had died fighting.

Now he was here with the others, waiting to see whom he would be given to. There would be no ceremony, no negotiations, and no father to plead for help if he was mistreated.

He took a deep breath and tried to calm his nerves. Then they heard the sound of several heavy boots heading their way. It was time.

***

"Yes, we will, father. There's nothing for you to worry about," High Lord Simon assured his old father over the far range connection. The old man was not buying it. Simon sighed. "I give you my word."

"Good. I'm looking forward to holding my grandchildren," his father said, satisfied that his oldest son would finally choose a breeder for himself and continue the family line.

The large man logged off after the last well wishes and turned the leather chair away from the screen. He massaged his neck, trying to work the kinks out of it. The whole matter stressed him. Things were going well with his mate and he did not really want a breeder in it to complicate things, but his father did have a point.

The door to his quarters opened to allow his mate to enter.

"Hi, Simon. Did your father call?" Blair asked him.

"That obvious?"

Blair laughed. "It is to someone who knows you."

Simon shook his head. "I took you with me to choose the breeder, I had Mischka renovate the breeder's apartment and the nursery and he still thinks I'll try to wriggle out of it. Gods, the old man knows me too well."

Blair seated himself on the wooden desk in front of Simon.

"The breeder will be as much of a distraction as you allow him to be. You're letting him dominate your thoughts," Blair pointed out.

Simon nodded. However, knowing it in his head and in his heart were two different things.

***

They were led to a large hall and told to stand and wait. Jim chose a spot near the back wall. He knew himself to be pretty plain looking. As long as he did not draw attention to himself, he would be all right.

After a few minutes of waiting, a large dark skinned man in an impressive looking uniform strode inside. There were several lower officers trailing behind him, and a shorter man with long braided hair walking a step behind him. The shorter man was wearing civilian clothes, military style but still civilian. Jim tried to be as inconspicuous as possible as the lord and his mate started their 'inspection'.

***

Blair looked around at the breeders. He knew he was worrying for nothing, but he was not above rejecting the beautiful ones. Besides, they were looking for someone to give birth to their children, not to decorate their home. Then he noticed the tall one standing by the back wall. He was surreptitiously following the proceedings but at the same time keeping himself back.

Blair looked at him. The young breeder was handsome more than beautiful, and he looked healthy. Blair veered that way.

***

Jim was looking at one of the lower officers. He was not that bad looking, maybe if he -

Suddenly someone grabbed his arm, yanking him forward. He found himself looking up at the high lord.

He swallowed nervously.

***

Simon looked at the breeder Blair had chosen. Not bad looking and he seemed strong. Simon put the tips of his fingers on the breeder's forehead and sent a tendril of his mind forward. He could feel the bond forming, from him to Blair through the breeder. It clicked into place as though it had always been there, just unused. Their children would be healthy and strong.

***

Jim felt the coldness of the corridor seeping into him through the soles of his bare feet. He was walking behind his new husbands. He did not even know their names.

Another twist of the corridor and they arrived at their destination, the med station. A young officer nudged him forward. An older med officer who looked like he loved to cook came forward to greet the high lord.

"So, this is the new breeder, eh? I suppose you'll be wanting to know if he's healthy, and still a virgin," the med officer asked.

"Yes, give him a shot of tenadrin while you're checking him," the high lord said.

*What's that?* Jim had never heard the name and it would not do to ask. A breeder did not talk to anyone not of his immediate family.

The examination was thorough, and eerie. Jim knew he would have been through this in a normal matchmaking too, but this was not normal. It was more like a nightmare version of what he had been expecting. The shot of whatever-it-was caused his lower stomach to ache.

The med officer gave him a clean bill of health and assured that he was untouched. The lord and his mate nodded satisfied.

Jim put his thin trousers and a sleeveless tunic back on as his husbands talked with the doctor about his upcoming pregnancy. It was odd to hear others talking of it over his head.

After a few minutes the shorter of his husbands motioned for him to come and the high lord finished the conversation.

Yet more cool corridors and a ride in the large elevator. The high lord issued commands to the others while standing in front of a simple looking door. Jim tried to steady his breathing. He could feel butterflies in his stomach, add to that the ache from the shot the med officer had given him and he was really not feeling too well.

The lord opened the door to spacious quarters. The shorter one took hold of Jim's elbow and steered him inside, and straight toward the bedroom.

Jim bulked. Earning him a hard slap to the rear from his larger husband. It hurt.

"But... but..." Jim turned to look up at the larger one as he was being dragged to the bedroom. The dark eyes were annoyed. Jim gulped down tears of disappointment. He had still hoped that there could have been something for him in this, but he had been wrong. The future yawned before him, empty and desolate.

The mating was over quickly. His husbands helped and touched each other, giving nothing to him, nothing but their seed. Afterwards he was shown to quarters beside the high lord's. They were clean and decorated in warm colours. Jim collapsed on the large bed, freeing the tears.

***

Jim was familiar with every inch of his rooms. He had been in them for two weeks now, with no visit from either of his husbands. He had spent his days exercising, playing games with the small computer in his rooms and meditating. The meals came at regular intervals and the med officer had come by once to check him. The old man confirmed that he was pregnant. He seemed to think it that it was all his doing judging by the smug expression on the med officer's face as he left. The high lord would certainly thank him properly for his part in it.

Jim lay down on the carpet. It was still two hours before he could start playing the game he had started yesterday. He tried to keep his days structured. At home he had been able to walk around when there were no visitors. He had liked talking with his male brother. Steve was probably dead, or working to rebuild their home world. He would not be coming after Jim. There was no reason to.

*Wonder if my rooms have a garden?* He liked gardens. If the high lord had a large villa, there would be a garden. It would be a welcome breath of life.

***

"I'll meet Lord Reinard in the meeting hall," Simon told Blair. "Hopefully he'll see reason and agree to the terms. I'd really like to have the matter settled before the warm season."

They were sitting in the armchairs of the living room area of Simon's rooms. The large space ship would be docking by their home planet, Cascadia, in two hours.

"I have a meeting with the publisher as soon as we dock, but I can come by afterwards," Blair offered. He already had two critically acclaimed books on military history under his belt and one well selling fictional novel, so he did not have to be too concerned about being on time for meetings.

"No need, I'll meet you at home." Simon rose and went to get another glass of water from the bar. "Have you heard from Luka?"

"Yes. He says the farm's doing well. We could go there after you've signed the trade deal."

Simon smiled. "Some time of rest and relaxation, just the two of us. Plus a few farm hands and servants, not to mention the guards we'd have to take with us," he commented to his mate as he walked to his chair and sat down. "And we mustn't forget your old and trusty computer. Gods, sometimes I'm jealous of that thing."

Blair shook his head. "Nothing to be worried about, it's not as interactive as you are. So, what about it?"

"Sounds good," Simon said seriously. The gaze could have melted a glazier.

"To me too."

***

An officer had come to take Jim to his new home. Yet another sign that he was not included in the everyday life, that he was part of the triad yet outside it. He curled up on the seat of the hover and picked on the hem of his robe. It was your usual robe, of a better material true, but there was nothing personal about it. Anyone could have picked it up from the store. There had been no brooch to go with it. That had hurt. His husbands did not think he would need it.

Jim looked out the window at the light coloured houses of the city spread on the plains. There was a large lake just visible on the horizon.

He hugged his knees. He'd probably never see it again.

***

Jim explored his new home. The rooms were practically an apartment in themselves, only the kitchen was missing. There was a large bedroom, a terrace giving to the garden, a spacious hall, a study with a computer and two shelves of book chips, a bathroom and an exercise room. Everything was decorated in warm colours and soft textiles. He wondered who had prepared the rooms.

*No nursery.* His husbands would not allow the children to live their first year with him.

***

Jim was sitting on the terrace steps, sipping a cup of some unfamiliar juice. The evening suns were setting behind the walls. The flowers and trees were scenting the soft warm air.

He could do this. He had no doubt he would never lack anything. If he did not cause any trouble, he would not be thrown aside. He could live here, safe and secure behind the walls, and alone. *Come on, you knew this could happen. You can do it, live from one pregnancy to another.*

Jim sat up straighter. He could do this.

He prayed to the winds to be united with his husbands on the next turn of the wheel, and be allowed to have his revenge on them.

***

Some fifteen years after his capture the breeder died in childbirth. Few mourned him and there was nothing left to remind of his passing in the world of day.

***

A black panther prowled the nether world, in search of his prey. The ones he hunted were not there, not yet, but they would be. They would have to pass this way. He settled down to wait.

***

End of one turning of the wheel