Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
8,741
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,432

Darkest hour

Summary:

It always seems darkest just before dawn.

Work Text:

Notes: This one started with Peja's rentboy Jim challenge. It was supposed to be a snippet, but the plot bunny kept kicking my ass. Many heartfelt thanks to my wonderful betas, Beaver and CJ, for their help. And to Suse for the wonderful cover.
Disclaimers: The characters are not mine, I'm just borrowing them

~ @ ~

It was a morning on Shyla. The twin suns were beating on the capital city in the largest continent. Jim Ellison was walking along the sand covered streets of the entertainment sector. He was used to the long looks and whispers. In a time when kids saved from their first job to get surgical enhancements and physical perfection was valued above all else, he was a natural, totally unenhanced. He did not even try to hide the fact that he had a natural tan, and a twin set of scars on his right cheek. As a sentinel he had trouble enough with pain medication and could only use the non-perfumed healing ointment. Anything more complex than the most basic operation was out of his reach. As a prostitute it was a mixed blessing. A lot of clients liked naturals, for various reasons. Jim had had a couple of close calls.

He entered the Sunsrise bar. Brackett should be in despite the early hour. The halfbear bartender pointed him to an alcove near the speakers.

"Hi, honey." Brackett was playing with his handheld 'puter. He had his dark box by his elbow. His private stash. There were bets going on about just what was in it.

Jim sat down opposite him. He did not like the man, but he needed the meddrug to keep his senses quiet. He supposed he could buy the med from someone else, but Brackett's retailers knew that he was one of the boss' ´private` clients (for whatever reason) and Jim did not want to risk going to one of Queen Sam's dealers. She was known to trade in sentinels. Selling them to poachers, smugglers and other interested parties. Brackett was the better of two evils, at least for now.

Brackett opened the box and put a few packets on the table.

"A thousand."

"What?! Did you smoke some yourself? No way." It was higher than the price he had paid last time.

Brackett looked at him. "I'm one of the few who import this shit, sweetie. If I say the price is 500 per packet, it's 500 per packet." Brackett was one of the main suppliers of recreational drugs in the city, and some other substances. Though Queen Sam was determined to change the status quo.

Jim looked around the bar, trying to think. He had come here at the last moment, his supply was empty. He had smoked the last joint this morning. There was no time to find a half-way reliable seller.

"Come on, I've got 800."

"A thousand."

Jim needed all three packets. The meddrug was a combination of three ingredients. Every user had his or her own blend.

Jim looked at the packets. He would not be able to get the missing money before evening, and by then his senses would be nuts. One of the side effects of using med.

Brackett took his hand in his. Jim knew that smile.

"Just ... just once."

Brackett shook his head.

***

Jim walked carefully towards his flat. He had the packets, and his 800.

***

Blair Sandburg was jogging along the quiet streets. He liked the mornings in the entertainment sector, the bustle of cleaning crews, the calm and the quiet. The sector seemed more real, more alive. The heat was still soft and silky, not the harsh beating of midday. As the sector was on the outer edges of the city, there were patches of green as the stubborn vegetation invaded the human-made city.

It was not necessary for him to run. The muscle enhancements would make sure he stayed in shape, but he wanted to run. He had spent weeks unable to walk after the shuttle accident, and he wanted proof that he was mobile and everything worked. Besides he liked the quiet runs. They were almost ... meditative.

He speeded up as he rounded a corner. And ran straight into someone.

He was lying on top of the person he had run into. He raised his head and looked straight into the bluest eyes he had ever seen.

*MINE.*

Blair shook his head.

"Sorry about that. Let me help you up. Are you all right?"

A hand picked up an electric blue packet from the street.

"I'm fine."

"Sorry. I usually watch where I'm going."

Blair was still holding the other one's hand.

*MINE.*

"I'm Blair Sandburg."

"Jim Ellison. Can I have my hand back?"

Blair nodded. And released the hand after a moment.

He watched as Jim walked away. He recognised the careful treads. *He's started early, or finished late.* He could still hear the whisper in his head.

***

Blair walked into the cool police station. He could not put the prostitute out of his head.

He sat behind his desk. After a couple more minutes of internal debate he gave up and clicked in a search in his terminal. There should not be too many unenhanced Ellisons in the city.

Blair printed out the info. He froze as he noticed the tidbit at the end. Ellison was a sentinel.

"Yo, Sandy. You with us?"

"Wha - Yes, just lost in my thoughts."

The halfcat grinned. "So I noticed. Who's the cutie?"

Blair looked at the printout. "Someone I ran into this morning, literally. He was coming from a client, carrying med. Megan, can I ask you a favour?"

"You can ask." She said carefully.

"Could I come with you to the entertainment sector tonight?"

It was a routine round to see the neighbourhood and establish her new cover persona more firmly, while searching for her missing informant on the side. Blair suspected the guy had gone into hiding after omitting a few important details in his latest cache of info. Megan had threatened to cut the guy's throat the next time she saw him.

"Okay."

"Thanks. I owe you one."

***

Jim was sitting on the floor in his small flat, rolling the med into small cigarettes. His head was starting to ache. Hearing was slipping out of control, smells were assaulting his nose. For some reason touch was always the last one to go bonkers.

He put the joints into a cigarette box. He chose one and laid down on the couch.

He could feel calmness descending as he smoked the med. The multicoloured smoke rose up, up before dissolving.

He thought about the strange jogger. The guy creeped him. Jim hoped they did not meet again. The last thing he needed was a stalker, or a client who was nuts.

***

Blair trod barefoot in his spacious apartment. The cool rock tiles on the floor caressed his feet. He loved the place. It was in a renovated warehouse between the better and worse sectors of the city. He had spent half of his inheritance from his eccentric father on the conversion, but it had been worth it.

Blair lighted a couple of candles on a round glass table. He liked the soft, pure light.

The whisper was still there, in the back of his mind. The siren call of an unbonded sentinel. His sentinel? The call *was* still there after all these hours.

Blair started pacing. Then he noticed what he was doing and flopped down on a couch.

This one would not go easy in the station. Jim was a prostitute, he was a detective, it was kind of given that the two of them did not match. Not supposed to happen. Not that his friends and relatives would be more accepting.

But what if they were meant to be a pair? Blair still dreamed of finding his lifemate, but he had never thought of a prostitute and a med-user. Though he supposed he should have thought of it.

Sentinels were encouraged to use their senses from early childhood, but without a guide their senses would become uncontrollable after puberty. Since sentinels react differently to medication and their senses are supposed to be online so they can recognise their guide, they are given no medication to calm their wayward senses. They are just told to find a guide. The lucky ones do, the unlucky ones... Blair shivered. Jim was lucky not to have been sold off and forced to bond with some pirate. Either that or he had a powerful boyfriend. Blair growled at the thought.

*Jealous already? You really have it bad.*

If they were meant for each other, they would meet in the next few days and the whisper in his head would become a song. Or so his instructors had told him during the guiding courses. He could go into the spirit world and chase down the sentinel. Blair pushed the thought away as soon as it appeared, it would be toeing the line of ethical behaviour.

Blair went to the clothes closet. *What to wear?* He wanted to look his best for his sentinel. Potential sentinel, he corrected himself. Jim had suppressed his senses and instincts with med but Blair's instincts were fully online. And they would recognise his match. Then he would just have to get Jim off med.

*Hmm.. Dark trousers and a silver mesh shirt, with a black leather jacket. Yes, perfect for an evening in the entertainment sector.*

***

Jim was wearing his working attire; tight light grey trousers and a filmy white shirt. He was walking along a shadowy street towards the better bars, dodging Sam's thugs, when one of Brackett's men stopped him.

"The boss wants to see you."

"What for?"

"Why should I care? Just get your pretty ass over to the Sunsrise."

"Okay, going already."

Jim walked to the bar. The two artificial suns were chasing each other on the high ceiling. The dark colouring and rough materials of the bar seemed to eat some of the light. It was still early in the evening and the place was already half-packed. Brackett motioned for him to sit beside him. He was dressed for business, though Jim thought he could dress as a drunk psychic and still come off as a capable professional. Jim got a bad feeling about this one.

He waited until Brackett had finished his deal and the retail dealer had left.

"Why am I here?"

Brackett put an arm around his shoulders. "I liked fucking you. I felt like having you for the evening. Don't worry, I'll pay." Brackett kissed him roughly.

"Is this going to be regular?"

"Naah. I'm not the one for regulars."

Jim felt relieved. He had no use for boyfriends or regular customers, they were too much trouble. Not to mention risky, if they found out he was an unbonded sentinel and decided to sell him for profit... Of course Brackett could be lying, but with the med keeping his senses low, he had no way of knowing.

After five years, Jim had resigned to not finding a guide, and not having his senses in order. Besides, what kind of a guide would be interested in him? Certainly not someone Jim would want as a guide and lifemate.

***

Blair met Megan in a café near the entertainment sector. She was wearing tight red trousers and a red top, with a see-through jacket. Her make-up highlighted her feline features. Blair often wondered why anyone would want to change herself so drastically. Muscle enhancements he could understand, but changing your facial features to such an extent...

"Hi. You're looking real good." He greeted her.

"Thanks. You're not so bad yourself. Trying to impress someone?"

"That obvious?"

"Only to someone who knows you. Who is it?"

"Remember those files I printed out this morning?"

"You can't be serious!" He had never seen Megan so surprised.

"I am. The guy's my sentinel." *I hope. Or do I?*

"He's also a hooker and a med-user." Megan pointed out ruthlessly.

"The med's to suppress his senses. Once we bond ..." Blair shrugged.

"And the other part?"

"He's unenhanced and needs money for the med."

Megan was not buying it. "Let's go. We can look for your hooker as we keep our eyes open for my informant. Just keep in mind that job comes first."

"Don't worry about me."

"Riight."

***

Jim was sipping his drink, orange juice with ice and sparkles. He knew mixing med and alcohol would send anyone into orbit; he did not want that.

Brackett was groping him as he talked to his contacts on the handheld. Then he saw the weird guy with some halfcat. Jim kept stealing glances at them. *Why does he make me so nervous?*

"What is it? You know the guy?" Brackett had ended his call.

"No, not really." Brackett was waiting for him to explain. "He was jogging and ran into me. The guy's creepy."

Brackett laughed. "Sounds like a recommendation to me."

He waved for one of his thugs and told him to ask for the pair to come over.

"What are you doing?" Jim hissed.

Brackett kissed him. "I wanna meet this guy. Don't worry, honey, I'll protect you." Brackett said as he squeezed his thigh.

***

Blair saw Jim sitting by Brackett. Brackett's hand was wandering as he talked in the handheld. Blair felt his temper rising.

"Saw something? Oh. You really can choose them." Megan said sarcastically.

"Don't seem to have the best of lucks, do I?"

A guy built like an airlock came over to them. "Brackett would like to see you. If you'll follow me." It was not a request.

As they were led to Brackett's booth Blair wondered what Jim had told his boyfriend. Or was Brackett just a client.

"Sit down. As you probably know by now, I'm Lee Brackett, owner of this watering hole. You are?"

"I'm Meg and this is Sandy." This was Megan's operation. Blair was kind of grateful for being in the side lines, he could watch Jim freely. The sentinel did not seem to like him much. The glare was positively murderous.

"So, I take it you like Jim?" The question cut into his fantasies.

"He seems delicious."

"Tastes as good as he looks too." Brackett smirked. Jim blushed furiously.

"Is he yours?" Blair asked. Better to find out how things stood as soon as possible.

"Just for tonight."

Blair nodded. He would keep his hands to himself, for tonight.

"Oh, yes. I have heard that you like to buy and sell." Megan commented. Steering the conversation back to business.

Megan was chatting with Brackett, using her new persona. It was not meant for such heavy dealing, not yet, but they could not let such an opportunity to pass by. Blair spent most of the evening watching Jim, and keeping an eye on their surroundings. And it was true what they said; the whisper had grown to a full choir. This one was his sentinel.

***

Jim watched the halfcat and the creep walk into the crowd. It was getting busy in the bar.

"Let's go into the backrooms." Brackett said, nudging him. "It's quieter there, and we can have some fun." A hand was groping his butt.

Jim sincerely hoped Brackett would get bored of him tonight. The guy seemed to have four hands. He hated getting groped.

***

Next morning Blair had barely gotten into Major Crimes before captain Banks bellowed for him and Megan.

"Sandburg and Connors!! In here, now."

Blair closed the door behind them as they entered Banks' office.

"I hear things went surprisingly well yesterday."

"Yes, sir. Sandy had ran into Brackett's hired companion earlier in the day and the boss man wanted to meet us." Megan's distrust was clear as she sneered the words hired companion. "He's interested in new retail dealers."

"Illegal substances?"

"Yes. Including stolen goods. Or at least he hinted that way. To him we're beginners, so the first shipment isn't going to be that valuable, but added to what we already have on him..."

"Good. Are you going to need Sandburg?"

"It would be best."

"Sandburg?"

"Nothing urgent on my desk. I'd really like a shot at Brackett."

Banks nodded. "Give some of your cases to others, the art theft to Taggart, the new counterfeit chip case to Rafe, as for other cases; use your heads. Concentrate on Brackett. Opportunities like this don't come often."

"Yes, sir."

***

Jim dragged himself to his flat. He got the door open on second try and started stripping as soon as he was inside.

Brackett had kept him up all night. He suspected the guy had taken some stimulants to be able to keep it up that long. They were one of his most popular items on sale. Even the ones that were fatal if you took more than one pill once a month. People died of those, and they were still sold and bought. *Suicidal idiots.*

*Ah, bed sweet bed.* Jim got as comfortable as he could and was snoring in three seconds.

***

"I hear you got lucky?" Detective Rafe asked from his two colleagues who were buried in files they had carried to the meeting room by the bull pen.

"Yep, one of those incredible coincidences." Megan purred. She and Rafe had been circling each other for weeks. Blair understood why Rafe hesitated. Megan was like a hurricane, messing up everything, going through anything and anyone in her path. Stubborn and uncompromising described her pretty well.

"What happened?"

"We were looking for my disappearing informant. We go to Sunsrise." Megan took a sip from her soft drink. "Brackett's there as usual. He's got a hooker with him. Turns out that Blair had literally ran into the sweet thing while jogging that morning. Don't know what he said to his boyfriend, but Brackett sends a thug to ask us to join him. Never found my ratty ex-informant, but got a preliminary deal with Brackett."

Rafe turned to look at Blair. "That's amazing. Do you have any idea how envious the Vice is of you two? They've been busting their asses to get Brackett."

"I know." Blair grinned smugly.

"If you two bust the guy it's going to be a major credit mark in your record." Rafe said to Megan who was practically preening.

Blair thought of Jim while the two flirted. He would have to go to his place that afternoon. The sentinel was most probably still asleep. He could go as Sandy. No-one would think it odd after the way he had been ogling Jim yesterday. He had been practically drooling over him. He could swing it. Nothing to it.

***

Jim woke up before noon. He opened the window to let in some fresh air. Heated, oppressive and dry air, but better than the recycled, devoid of life air that was the usual fare. After some stretching, sit-ups and push-ups, he thought about what to do. Brackett had paid pretty well and Jim could afford to take a day off. He could actually cook something decent and read one of the old fashioned paperbooks he had bought from a used books seller down the street.

Jim headed off to buy some groceries.

***

Blair left his hovercar in a parking hall and walked over to Jim's apartment in a not-so-good sector. The streets were sandy as the city could not be bothered to keep the outer edge sectors in good order. Blair spotted three different kinds of aloa, native cactus like plants.

Megan had glared at him as he left, guessing where he was going. She did not say anything for which Blair was glad.

He did not trust the elevator and took the stairs. Luckily Jim lived on the fourth floor in a 10-storey building. Blair knocked on the door.

Jim was in old jeans and some band t-shirt that should have been thrown away years ago. As soon as he saw who was on the door, he slammed the door. Or tried to. Blair easily caught the door as it was closing and stepped through. He let the door slid closed after him.

The flat was small but clean. It had a bedroom, a main room and a kitchenette. Jim was looking at him suspiciously.

"Why are you here?"

Blair leaned against the door. "You. You're mine."

"Shit." Jim threaded his hands through his hair. "Okay. Why don't you tell me why you think so."

Blair took a couple steps toward him, Jim took a few steps back. Towards the kitchenette, and the drawers. Blair caught him before he got to the knives. He held Jim's wrists in his hand and flipped the sentinel so he was pressed against Blair's chest.

"Let go of me!" Jim was kicking, and tried to headbutt him.

"Relax. Just calm down. I'm not going to hurt you." Guide voice. Jim reacted to the voice surprisingly fast, must be some hours since he had taken med.

Blair had his other arm around his waist. "I'm your guide."

"What? My - No, can't be."

"Yes, I knew it as soon as I saw you. We're a match. You'll know it too as soon as the med leaves your system."

"No! Get your hands off me!" Jim started to struggle again.

Blair half-carried him to the bedroom. Luckily the bed was sturdy, and had posts. It had obviously had several owners, and had survived each of them. Blair stumbled on to the bed still holding Jim, who had relaxed in his arms.

"Come on, there are easier ways to get me into bed with a good-looking guy." The voice was softer. "Or maybe you just like being on top?" Jim was wiggling his butt against Blair's cock. Blair had to swallow before speaking again. All the fluids seemed to have travelled to needier places.

"We'll get to it one day. Now, I don't think you've taken med for a few hours, so this shouldn't take too long."

Blair tied his sentinel's hands to the posts. He got kicked a couple times as he tied Jim's legs. Jim was calling him everything but a guide.

"Now, you just lie there. Your senses should come online within a couple hours. You'll know I'm telling the truth."

Blair went to the kitchenette and checked the miniature bathroom. Clean and utilitarian, the place did not feel like someone's home. There was nothing ... personal about it. Just your straight-from-the-factory imitation rock and tiles. Nothing on the walls, not even a chrono or a holo painting. Just the shades on the windows.

Blair noticed the paperback on the couch by the back wall. A romantic adventure story. Blair smiled.

"Need anything?" Jim kept his eyes on the wall. He was still furious. "Suit yourself. I'm on the couch. Yell if you need anything." Blair started reading the novel.

***

Jim could not believe the mess he had gotten into. The damn weirdo had found him and had somehow decided that the two of them were an item. Jim was afraid the psycho would kill him when the bonding failed. Or bond them by force. He was not sure which one would be worse. He definitely did not want to die, but he did not look forward to being bonded to some protégé of Brackett's.

He could hear the guy's heartbeat. The sheets felt rough.

The med was wearing off. He had been about to get another joint when that odd ball showed up.

He could hear the neighbours. Smell the dinner the downstairs' neighbour had burned. Feel the air currents. Somehow his senses always returned to the guy on the couch. *Could it be?* Jim heard his heartbeat and adjusted his own to it. One after another his senses refocused, recalibrated and anchored themselves in Blair. And floated free, giddy in their freedom at last.

***

Blair could hear the sentinel tossing and turning. When he heard a whimper, he tossed the paperback away and rushed to the bedroom. Jim's eyes were tightly shut and there were lines of pain on his face.

"Why didn't you tell me you were having trouble?" Blair asked exasperated. He should have checked instead of trusting Jim to be sensible. *Should have known he would be stubborn about it*. He got on the bed and laid on top of his sentinel. "Concentrate on me. Forget everything else. Ignore it, it's not important." Blair petted Jim's hair and face. The lines of pain were smoothed away.

Jim opened his eyes. They were full of confusion.

Blair kissed him gently.

*A grey wolf was gently licking and nibbling a scared black panther. The panther timidly lifted his head from under his paws. Looking at the wolf with bright blue eyes.*

*Mine.* It was a triumphant shout this time.

"Yes, we are a match. My sentinel."

He stroked Jim's cheek, concentrating on the twin scars. He was angry at the thought of someone deliberately hurting his sentinel. *It's past, let it go.*

"But. How?"

Blair smiled. "Who can say? No-one knows how the choice is made, what it's based on. It just is."

Jim was still suspicious.

Blair sat up, straddling Jim. He took a dark blue silk covered box from his pocket.

"No." Jim said quietly.

"You are my sentinel and I am your guide. Nothing can change that. The rings are just an outward sign of what is." Blair took a simple viel ring from the box. It was traditional to have the ring made from a native material of the guide's planet. Blair put it on Jim's finger in his left hand. "I will love you, cherish you and hold you 'til my death on this plane." Blair kissed his sentinel, sealing the pledge.

Jim looked at him, unsure.

"It's all right if you're not ready yet."

Blair untied him.

***

Jim was sitting on the couch beside his guide.

Guide. The creep really was his guide. Incredible.

The two of them were supposed to spend the rest of their lives together. How was he supposed to manage that? Every relationship he had ever had, had ended in disaster. Somehow he always screwed things up.

Jim sipped at his chai.

*Just what do I know about my guide anyway?*

"So, just who are you?"

Blair laughed. Jim could not help grinning. He liked the sound of his laughter.

"I'm a detective in Major Crimes."

Jim froze. *Shit*.

Blair massaged his back with one hand. "Relax. It doesn't matter."

"Doesn't matter?! You're a cop and I'm a ... whore. Of course it matters. I'm screwing it up already." Jim said quietly.

"No, you're not and it's not." Blair said sternly. "It doesn't matter what you were. You're my sentinel. Period. That's it."

Jim looked at him. His guide was serious.

He could sense his guide. His senses were firmly anchored in the man sitting beside him. He felt protective, and ready to spend the rest of his life with his guide. It was an odd feeling.

*But can I do it?*

***

Blair was silently looking at his sentinel. He did not want to pressure him.

"I ... I don't know the words." Jim said embarrassed.

"That's okay. It's not the words so much as the thought that matters." Blair said. He gave the box to Jim.

Jim looked at the simple ring in the box. He took it out and gave it to his guide. "Umm... I will protect you and ... be true to you 'til my death."

Blair put the ring on to a finger in his left hand. He kissed his sentinel and lifemate.

"I'll take care of the paperwork tomorrow. Do you have anything you need to take care of?"

Jim shook his head. "No. Why?"

Blair took a deep breath. "Would you like to move in with me?"

"I'm not sure."

"You could go to some classes, find another job. You're my lifemate now." Blair reminded him. "What would you like to do?"

Jim thought for a moment. "Be a private investigator, I guess. But -" Blair put a finger on his lips.

"You can be anything you want to be. Take some courses, get the license. Being a sentinel is a bonus in that profession." Jim did not seem quite sure about it. "Trust your guide." Blair said grinning.

***

*Over-optimistic guide. How can a police officer be so positive?* Jim wanted to believe, but he had been disappointed once too often. Though he supposed he could try one more time, for Blair.

Jim nodded.

"Good." Blair took their earthenware mugs. "I'll make some more chai, you think about moving in with me."

Jim looked around his place. It was not much, but it was his. The landlord could not care less about the place, it was drafty, he had trouble paying the rent occasionally, but it was his. Did he fit in? As a hooker; yes. But as a bonded sentinel and a lifemate to a detective? No.

He was pretty sure he wouldn't miss the place.

Blair sat beside him and gave him a mug of chai.

"I'll move in with you."

"Okay. Will you have your things packed by tomorrow evening?"

Jim snorted. He did not have much. "No problem."

***

Blair did not stay the night. He wanted their first time together to be special.

As soon as he got home, he went to change the sheets. And check everything. He would have to restock the fridge, make some room for Jim's belongings, check that everything was sentinel friendly.

*I wonder if Jim likes aloas?* Blair had quite a collection.

***

Jim rose late the next morning. He had not slept well. *Major life changes do that, I suppose.*

He did not have any debts or appointments. He had made sure not to get entangled or involved. It was safer that way.

It was kind of ironic that he would have a detective as a lifemate.

Jim took the box of med out of its hiding place. He put the box on the kitchen counter. And left it there.

Jim went to the corner store to ask for a couple of storage boxes. The clerk looked at him suspiciously.

It did not take long to pack his clothes. As for personal items, he had a few paperbacks and documents. No chips full of pictures or journals.

Jim was feeling depressed sitting beside two boxes. His whole life.

***

Blair was busy finding out everything about Brackett. Megan had announced that they would go back to Sunsrise the next evening. It would not be too early, nor too late. Now they had to have their pasts recreated. Megan was Meg, an entrepreneur of everything. Blair was Sandy, her friend and partner who was just drifting through life. They spent hours talking about their new lives with the tech. No mistakes or slips allowed.

Megan did not mention Jim. Blair had to admit, if only to himself, that it had been risky and a bit foolish to go to Jim's. Not to mention being so open to him. But the situation had not blown in his face. And he was certain Jim would not blow their cover, accidentally or otherwise.

Blair went straight to Jim's from the station. He knocked on the door. As the door slip open, he could sense that his sentinel was upset about something. And the red eyes were a dead give-away.

"Jim, what is it?"

"Nothing. Let's go." Jim turned to get his things.

Blair embraced his sentinel. "Please, love. What's troubling you?"

"My whole life. It fits into two boxes. If I'd died yesterday, no-one would have missed me."

"I would have. Even had I never met you, I would have missed you."

***

Jim was quiet on the ride to his new place. He was embarrassed over his break-down. Blair had been understanding, but Jim was determined to do better. He was not some neurotic wimp.

Jim looked at the view outside. The buildings were in better condition, the streets were not so sand-filled and the only plants were those that were designed to be there.

They stopped by an older building. Blair steered the hover to land on a roof. "You live here?"

"Yep. It's a renovated warehouse. The place is great, you can still feel the age."

The stairs were not creaky or full of sand and wrapping paper. As they went through the door, Jim gasped. The place was ... warm. Old brick and rock, soft colours, it was incredible. And the plants, they were everywhere.

*How can a detective afford such a place?*

"Incredible, isn't it?" Jim just nodded. "In case you're wondering, I used the inheritance from my father to buy this place. And make it into mine."

"It was worth it."

"I think so too. Come, I'll show you where everything goes."

***

Blair could tell Jim was still nervous as they were lying on bed.

"We're going after Brackett."

"Sam would take over his business. She's worse than he is, in some ways."

"I know. It gets frustrating sometimes."

"Then why do it?"

Blair was quiet for a while, thinking it through. "Because I'm doing something. Not just talking, but actually doing something. And I can make a difference, even if it's in just a few lives."

Jim snuggled closer to him. Blair put his arm around his sentinel and set his sights toward the dream world.

***

Blair had gone to the station. Jim was exploring his new home. And it felt like home already.

Jim did not feel totally at ease with the situation. He did not want to be a kept man, but that's how others would see him. And to be honest he was broke. Blair would have to be the one to pay the bills. *So, let's do something about it.*

Blair had given his old handheld to Jim. Jim checked the memory in the comm unit. There were Blair's number, emergency numbers and the number of a popular take-out place. Jim smiled.

He switched to the net and started searching. He checked the PI requirements first.

***

Blair had just set a foot inside Major Crimes when he was called to Banks' office. The captain looked worried. *In full father mode.*

"Yes?" Blair was pretty sure he knew what this one was about.

"It's about this announcement I received from Records about the change in your status."

*You have won the bet.* "Oh. That."

"Yes, that. Normally I'd be congratulating you, but considering the background of your lifemate, I'm not sure if it would be appropriate."

"It would be. He's the one for me. I know it won't be easy, but we are gonna make it. Together."

Blair looked steadily into Banks' eyes, both looking for something.

"Just keep your eyes open."

"I will."

Banks nodded. He trusted his detectives. Megan was not so trusting.

"Have you lost your chips?!"

"I told you. He's my sentinel, we're lifemates."

Disbelieving, stunned, flabbergasted silence.

"I ... I can't believe it." She shook her head. The newly dyed red mane barely moved. Too much gel in it for that. "Just keep your mouth shut about our cases around him. Wouldn't want him blabbering to his former boyfriends, now would we?"

Blair glared at Megan. He hoped she would come around, but it would be a slow process. If it happened.

***

Jim had the dinner warming when Blair came home.

"Hi, what's the divine smell?" Blair walked into the kitchen and embraced Jim from behind. Looking over his shoulder he started nibbling his sentinel's neck.

"It's something I cooked up out of what was available."

"Smells good, and so do you." Blair kissed his neck. "I gotta go shower. I have a few hours to relax, then I meet Megan for a case. I have no idea how long it will take."

Jim set the table. And kept telling himself that Blair was a capable detective and he would have Megan to back him up. *I certainly would not want her coming after me.*

***

Everything was going well. Brackett was willing to trade with them. Megan was in professional mode and had not made any comments about Jim. But Blair would sleep a lot better once the case was over and he could concentrate on the future, with Jim.

"I'm off to sleep." Blair yawned. They were standing on a street outside the parking hall where Blair had his hover car. The lights from the street lamps and advertisements drowned the stars. Blair often drove to the desert to see the stars. *Wonder if Jim would like to come with me next time?*

"Me, too. Meet you tomorrow for paperwork, and preparations for a bust."

"So soon?" Blair turned to Megan. She was wearing a more professional coverall tonight. With ripped out sleeves and low bust, but it's the thought that counts.

"Yes. We had no time for basics, no time for airtight backgrounds. The deal we got is the biggest we can hope for without compromising our covers. With luck we'll get enough evidence to nail Brackett."

"Don't believe in luck." Blair wanted to nail Brackett. He knew it was personal and unprofessional, but he could not help it.

"Come on, Vice's been after Brackett a long time. After this we can get him, just a matter of when. We arrest him in a week or in a month." Blair knew she was right, but he would really like to be the one to arrest Brackett. Preferably yesterday. "Cheer up. Ask your boyfriend to show off some of his talents." Megan suggested as she walked away.

"Meg! Watch your big mouth!" She was treading the line. As usual.

***

Jim woke up as Blair arrived. He had heard his guide's hovercar. Check of vitals confirmed that Blair was unhurt, and tired.

"You okay?" Drowsily.

"Yes. Get back to sleep. Have to be at the station early."

"Okay. If you insist." Jim was fast asleep and snoring in under a minute.

***

"You going to check all of them?"

"No. Couldn't get to most of them anyway, since I haven't finished any mediary schools. These few I could get into."

Jim gave Blair a paper with a list of basic information of three schools that offered vocational training for adults. Blair looked at the names, sipping his second mug of chai that morning. They were sitting by the table eating breakfast. The sun light was streaming through the shades. Blair had put the cooler on that morning. The weather was promising to be unusually warm.

"How about the PI license?"

"The next courses start in two months. I could get in."

"Do you *want* to take any of these courses?" Blair asked waving the list.

Jim suddenly found the tabletop extremely fascinating.

"Jim?"

"Just the ... creative writing course." Jim said to the table top.

"That's nothing to be embarrassed about. Besides, being able to write fluently is a useful talent. How about becoming a PI?"

"I've thought about it. It's the only alternative I'm really interested in."

Blair nodded. "Take the creative writing, and PI. And Jim? Don't worry about the bills."

Jim blushed.

***

*Okay, I'll start in creative writing courses in two weeks and in basic PI courses in two months.* He actually had long-term plans. He forced himself not to think about the price of those courses. It may not seem like that much to Blair, but he could never have afforded them.

Jim looked around. Nothing much needed doing. He could get some more information about PI stuff and read some of Blair's book chips. Never hurt to know more.

***

Blair was planning the bust with Megan. She was real excited, and anxious. As Rafe had said, this would be a major credit mark in their records. She wanted everything to be perfect. Blair did not believe in perfection. Which probably made them such good partners.

After a few hours, it became a matter of waiting. Everyone knew the time and place, everything that could be checked had been checked. Megan was at her terminal, killing time and trying to find a few more nuggets of information.

"I'm heading home with some of the files. You can catch me with the handheld." Blair said gathering printouts and chips.

"Okay. I'll transfer any info I might find. Though I doubt there will be much."

Blair nodded and headed for the garage upstairs.

***

Jim was listening to a news channel in Blair's old handheld. His head was in Blair's lap. Blair was reading a printout and stroking Jim's head. Jim was about ready to jump out of his skin.

"What's bothering you?" Blair asked, still reading the printout.

"I've got a real bad feeling about this evening." Jim blurted out. He hadn't meant to, he knew it sounded silly.

"Just a general feeling or something specific?" Blair asked seriously.

Jim looked up at his guide. He did not seem to be making fun of him.

"Just a general feeling."

Blair lifted his eyes and stared at the decorative tiles in the wall ahead. Jim was a bit amazed that his guide was taking this so seriously.

"I'll have some final checks made. We might be a few minutes late, but better safe than sorry. Besides, it's not out of character to be late." Blair said taking his handheld. He started composing the first message.

"How about I come with you?" Jim asked. He could not just sit and wait.

Blair froze. After a few seconds he continued clicking. "No."

"Why not? I could sense if something was wrong faster than a sensor sweep."

"You were Brackett's boyfriend. No, listen. You were one of his ´private` clients. The evening we met at the bar wouldn't have been the last one with him. He had his sights on you. I don't know what game he was playing. He might have just wanted your ass or been looking for a suitable buyer for you. I don't know and frankly, I don't want to find out, not now. You. Stay. Here." Blair checked an answer to his message.

Jim had to admit he had a point. And he had often wondered himself what Brackett was up to. He had supposed that the guy just liked the feeling of power over others.

"We're going to be careful. There will be guys from Major Crimes and Vice." Blair tried to assure him.

"But something could still go wrong."

"There's always the risk of something going wrong." Blair sighed. "There's also the fact that the others do not know you and they certainly would not trust you."

Jim deflated. He nodded. Of course Blair's friends would not welcome him with open arms. They probably thought he had hooked up with Blair just to get off the streets. They certainly would not trust him not to sell them off, or just screw things up.

***

Blair drove his hovercar towards the warehouses beside the entertainment sector. It was easier to store the linens, glasses, furniture, electronics, spare parts, barrels and everything else near the sector. It also made for shorter delivery times. Or at least that was the idea.

The handheld beeped.

"Yes? ... She what?! What was so important she couldn't wait a few minutes?! .. Yes, I know. ... I hope you're right. ... Yes, bye." Blair cursed the stubborn halfcat in a half a dozen languages and sped up the hovercar. The hovers near him rocked as he whizzed by and steered abruptly to the left, choosing the fastest shortcut. Blair was pretty sure the drivers were wishing him to the coldest pit of Hell.

As Blair parked near a warehouse #342 everything seemed fine. Megan was standing by the large doors with Brackett and a couple of his cronies. Blair stepped out of the hovercar as Brackett opened a lock. Doors slid back, and exploded outward.

Pressure wave hit Blair. Noise enveloped him, it seemed too loud to be heard.

Alarms started their chorus.

Blair spent a couple seconds being confused and shocked. Sand was tickling his nose.

"Meg!" He ran to a heap of feline on the ground. She was alive. Singed, hurting, but alive.

The med hovercar arrived. They had been on stand-by in case something went wrong.

Brackett was just a charred carcass, lying half beneath a piece of a warehouse door. One of his thugs had gotten his head cut off by a flying object. The other one was barely alive. They had been standing in front of the doors.

"You all right?"

"Wha -" One of the meds was checking him. "Yes, just shock and a few bruises. I was shielded from the worst of it by my hover." The med checked his vitals and irises anyway.

"If anything comes up..."

"I'll get in contact."

The med nodded.

Meds got Megan inside a hovercar and it flew off.

Banks walked over to him with a Vice captain in tow. Captain Liu always reminded Blair of a female Sumo wrestler.

"The queen behind this?" Blair asked.

Captain Liu nodded. "Just her style. She can blame two outsiders and newcomers for this. If it doesn't stick, she'll confuse the whole issue. She won't come after you, too busy taking over."

"In a few months, half of Cascade's illegal and semi-legal business will be working for Aunt Sam." Banks said sarcastically. He sounded tired. "You go home after your statement. Have your report in my mail box by tomorrow noon. Otherwise you can have tomorrow off."

Blair nodded.

***

Jim was trying to concentrate on a PI's guidebook he had found on the net. He never knew there were so many regulations. The few PIs he had known had broken most of them.

Blair's hovercar arrived at the parking lot on the roof. His guide was tired and smelled of explosives and smoke, but there was no smell of fresh blood. And he could walk on his own. Or shuffle, to be precise.

Jim put the water heater on for tea and took out comfortable clothing.

He opened the door. Blair looked like an alley cat's chew toy.

"Thanks. Queen Sam decided to take out her rival. The case's blown, literally." Blair explained as he headed straight to the bathroom.

No limp, no winces, no blood equalled a guide in order, just bruises and sore muscles. Jim sighed, relieved.

***

Blair was lying on bed, lost in his thoughts when Jim came to the bedroom on the upper floor.

"What is it? Is Sam going to come after you?"

"She'll make a half-hearted effort, just to get the heat off her. But don't worry, she'll be too busy building her queendom to new glory." Blair said absently.

Jim was not sure whether to push or not. The case had drawn them together, now that it was over it was as if they were just starting. And Blair had still not made love with him, it had been just kisses and caresses so far. Jim had not insisted. He was afraid Blair was turned off by the fact that he had been a prostitute. Nothing Jim could do about that.

Blair turned to him.

"I was just thinking about what I said to you earlier. How would you feel about a game night? Invite our friends and relatives over. Kind of like a get-together and showing off." Blair said smiling.

A tension Jim had not noticed was there was released. He could feel tears in his eyes. He tried to hide them. Unsuccessfully.

"Jim? Did I hurt you? Oh gods, I'm sorry. It was just a thought." Blair assured him hastily as he gathered his lifemate in his arms.

Jim shook his head. "No, it's ... I'm happy." Jim said as if he could not believe it.

Blair smiled as if he had just been given a glimpse of a glorious future. He kissed each tear stained cheek and eye.

As Blair kissed Jim on the mouth, it was as if for the first time. This time it led to more.

***

Blair clicked send and the report was on its way to Banks. Megan was out of critical and would be back in action in a few weeks. She was already grumpy, and screaming for queen Sam's head.

Blair looked at his lifemate reading a local news bulletin, trying to find something interesting.

"Jim?"

"Mmm?"

"How about we just stay at home and order for take-out?"

Jim looked at Blair who was grinning like a desert fox at a fat hopping mouse. "Sounds good. Are you sure we won't get bored?"

"Oh, I can guarantee it."

Blair got up, ready to pounce his lifemate.

~ @ ~

End