Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
448
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
967

Running Away

Summary:

Rejection is not easy to handle.

Work Text:

Notes: Result of too many sweet and fluffy K/S stories.

***

His lungs were labouring to work in some kind of rhythm, his legs felt too heavy to move, but he forced them to take one step after another. Pebbles flew as he ran around a large tree and stepped into a path to a rustic cottage he had rented. As he ran to the front steps he allowed his body to
collapse on the ground.

For a while, all that could be heard were bird song, rustling of leaves and breathing. He took in huge gasps of air and slowly calmed down his heart. He was sweating profusely.

After a few minutes of simple breathing, he rose and walked into the cottage.

The inside was decorated in warm colours and light wood. It would have been perfect, if only -

He shook his head, angry at himself. He had promised not to dwell on crushed hopes and broken dreams. Too bad his heart had refused signed the deal.

He walked to the bathroom to take a shower, shedding his running clothes on the way.

He glanced at himself in the mirror above the sink as he passed it. Why?

He cursed out loud as he sat down on the floor. He leaned on the shower wall.

"Why?" he said out loud. It was the one question that had been running through his mind ever since that disastrous moment. Why had it all gone wrong? How was it possible that he had read it so wrong?

'It would be most illogical for the two of us to have a relationship, let alone to bond', Spock had said. It had not been the words themselves as much as the genuine puzzlement and confusion underneath them. The Vulcan
had been genuinely unable to come up with a single reason for them to enter into a relationship.

He sighed. He had really thought there was a chance, a possibility, but he had been wrong. So wrong.

He could feel the tears burning in his eyes, again. He had thought, no, hoped that he would be dry of tears by now. Apparently he had been wrong in that too.

Captain of the Enterprise, brought down by a simple sentence, he thought ironically. How was it that in every other venture his risk-taking had paid off, more or less, but in his love life, he failed, every single time?

He wiped the tears off and rose. Still, life went on. He would try that track on the plains tomorrow. He had never believed in running away from trouble or pain, but this time he was willing to try everything, including running.

***

End