Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 10 of Aftermath
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,814
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,359

Capture

Summary:

Crichton returns with Crais to Moya but Scorpius has other plans.

Work Text:

Aftermath 10: Capture
A "Farscape" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL

There was excitement and anticipation aboard Moya when Talyn docked. Everybody wanted to be there. Jothee was the only one with reservations but the others were so excited and happy they did not notice. He hung at the back and watched the young leviathan cautiously. Curious despite his misgivings. Crichton walked out of the ship with Bialar Crais. There was a smile on his face as he walked alongside the ship, one hand brushing along the surface of the sleek craft. Crais nodded and smiled cautiously at them but his attention was on Crichton. Aeryn smiled, he looked pretty good considering the number of times they had written him off for dead. To see him up and about again was good. He stopped when he came to the end of the ship. One hand resting on the sleek body of the young leviathan, Crais standing close to him. Aeryn's smile faded on her lips. "What's wrong? What is it?"

Crichton had his head cocked slightly to one side as if all his concentration was on what he could hear. Crais leant close enough to whisper. "Do you want Talyn and I to link with you so you can see?"

He shook his head. Stubborn. "No, thanks Crais. They have to know."

Crais nodded and took a small step away from him. More symbolic than anything else. D'Argo gripped his qualta blade tightly and took several steps towards them. His joy turned to suspicion. "What is wrong with you?"

"It's okay D'Argo, just a few teething problems."

D'Argo shook his head, not understanding the reference. He glared at Crais. "This is *your* doing."

Crichton shook his head, took a step away from the side of the leviathan. It might as well have been off a cliff. He felt so alone, so vulnerable. Crais started to move closer to him, to give support moral or physical should it be needed. D'Argo swung his blade between them, all levity gone. "Do not move another dench, Crais."

"Woah, D'Argo! It's okay. He's a friend. You can trust Crais."

If anything Crichton's words just made the Luxan even more suspicious. Zhaan was watching the human carefully.

"I do *not* trust him." Hissed D'Argo.

"Okay, then trust me." Crichton paused. "He saved my life, D'Argo."

The Luxan did not relax a muscle. "He vowed to kill you."

"Yeah well he didn't but not everything went according to plan."

"What happened, John?" Asked Zhaan.

He could hear Rygel approaching closer on his thronesled. Frell, had everyone come down to the landing bay to meet him? What about making a low key entrance? Wouldn't that have been good? It was too late for that now. Might as well tell them the bad news while they were all together and get it over with. "The medtechs restored my speech but I kinda lost something else."

"What else?" Said Aeryn anxiously.

He licked his lips. "My sight. I can't see, Aeryn."

D'Argo swore and lunged at Crais with his qualta blade. "You frelling vigilar, I knew we should not have trusted you!"

Crichton took a few cautious steps, trying to get between Crais and D'Argo guided only by the sound of D'Argo's voice. The Luxan almost caught him with his blade by accident, forcing him to take a reluctant step back. Crichton heard Chiana's voice. Somewhere off to his right. "But your sight'll come back, right?"

"I don't know, Chi. We didn't hang around long enough to ask questions."

Aeryn was beside him now. He could smell her perfumed hair, it seemed somehow stronger as if his sense of smell was heightened by his loss of sight. Or maybe she had newly scented her hair for him. he thought. Aeryn put her hand on his arm, a gesture of support. "Come on John. Let's see if Zhaan has anything in her apothecary that can help you."

He hesitated. "Where's Crais?"

"I am here."

D'Argo had lowered his qualta blade but still blocked the former Peace Keeper Captain's path. "You may trust Crais but I do not. I trust the past for those things I know best."

Crichton turned his head towards the sound of D'Argo's voice. "Yeah well maybe the past isn't all it's cracked up to be, D'Argo."

The Luxan shook his head. "I *still* do not trust him."

"D'Argo," Said Crichton, sounding sad. "I was hoping this wasn't gonna be a problem. If it is I'll have to go."

D'Argo was puzzled, Aeryn looked alarmed. "Go?"

"Yeah. Leave Moya."

Zhaan felt as if things were getting out of hand. "I'm sure that won't be necessary, John..."

D'Argo ignored Zhaan. "Why would you need to leave Moya?"

"Because I want Crais to stay. At least for as long as he wants. Moya wants to bond with Talyn again." He paused, his voice becoming gentle, wanting the words to sink in. "She wants to spend some time with her son, D'Argo."

That got through to him. D'Argo thought of his son Jothee and realised his friend was right. He stepped aside to allow Crais to come aboard Moya. "You are right, John. I was being selfish."

Crichton nodded and smiled gently. "No D'Argo, you were being a friend."

* * * * *

Scorpius watched and waited for the signal from Zarok. He was getting impatient. Did not want his prey to go to starburst before he could spring his trap. Zarok finally gave him the signal. "We are in optimum range, Commander."

The Scarran half-breed smiled coldly and looked at the Captain. She gave a small nod to show she was ready. He looked at Zarok. "Activate the device."

Zarok gave a slight bow then primed the collar. The Captain depressurised then opened the main hangar bay doors. The collar left the ship. Once it was several metras from the Peace Keeper Command Carrier, Zarok activated the cloaking device and the collar disappeared not only from view but also from their telemetry. Scorpius allowed a himself a smile of pleasure. He looked at Zarok. "Impressive. You have done well."

Zarok inclined his head graciously. "Which leviathan do you wish us to target?"

"The mother, Moya."

The Captain looked thoughtful. "How do you know Crichton will be on Moya, sir?"

He was too happy to reprimand her. "Because I know Crichton. His friends are on Moya. Crais may have tried to help him but he still has reason to distrust him."

The Captain dared another question. "Wouldn't the gunship be a better target?"

"It would if I wanted a gunship."

Everybody fell silent. His point made, the subject was dropped. "We will maintain this distance, Captain, until the collar is in place."

She nodded, not asking how he would know when that happened. Scorpius watched the two leviathans. His only concern being not to be detected before the collar could be put in place. Once Moya was back in Peace Keeper hands he would have Crichton. Nothing else mattered.

* * * * *

Aeryn was concerned and frustrated. None of Zhaan's tests gave them any indication of how they could go about restoring Crichton's sight. While it was wonderful to hear his voice again, she was worried. How would he cope if he remained blind? So many of the things that defined his existence on Moya would be lost to him. He would be unable to work on his module, not able to carry out the simplest of tasks independent of the rest of the crew, to take on his former duties. He would in short become a burden if only in his own mind. That worried her most of all. She watched him sitting patiently while Zhaan conducted still more tests but Aeryn knew she would not be able to find anything to help him. Surgery had done this to him and it would be surgery that would undo the damage. She was convinced of that.

Bialar Crais stood next to Crichton, listening intently to everything Zhaan said but not speaking unless he was asked a direct question. It was odd to Aeryn but Crichton seemed to gain comfort and confidence just having the former Peace Keeper Captain close by. What had happened since the two of them left aboard Talyn? Now Zhaan was telling Crichton she wanted to give him a complete physical examination. Aeryn caught Crais's eye, indicating she wanted to speak to him alone. Crais nodded and leaned in to Crichton to tell him he was leaving him with Zhaan for a while. That he would be back shortly. Crichton nodded.

Once they were outside Aeryn voiced her fears. "I don't like this, Crais. Without his sight he's too vulnerable. We *have* to do something."

He nodded. "I agree and we will."

She looked at him in surprise. "We?"

"Yes. I cannot leave him like this. I feel responsible. Talyn has also expressed his wish to help."

That surprised her but she did not question him, instead she wanted details of how he had ended up in this condition. "What happened?"

"The medtechs examined him, very thoroughly I might add. As a result they began surgery immediately. I was overjoyed when they restored his speech and did not know about the loss of sight until after the surgery was over. It was a great shock."

"You were present when they operated?"

"Yes."

She nodded. Grateful that he had stood by Crichton. It struck her that the Crais now standing before her was not the man he once was. This was the man he could have been. Aeryn did not say what she was thinking. Did not want him to know how much the realisation moved her. "He needs more surgery doesn't he?"

He considered her for a moment. "I will not lie to you, Aeryn. Surgery is the only thing that can restore his sight but to do that effectively the surgeon would need to know exactly what the medtechs did to him. I can remember some of it but I do not have photographic recall." At her pained expression he gave a slight smile. "However, thanks to my link with Talyn that is no longer important."

"Not important?" How could he say that?

Crais chuckled softly. "You misunderstand me, Aeryn. I do not have a photographic memory but a certain young leviathan does."

She raised her eyebrows in suprise. Crais was openly smiling now. A warm expression that suited him. "How does that help John?"

"We need to find a surgeon. A *good* one. When we do, I can use my link to Talyn to inform the surgeon exactly what was done so he can repair the damage. Hopefully, if he is skilled enough, he can restore John's sight."

Tears welled up in Aeryn's eyes. Crais longed to put his arms around her, offer what comfort he could, but he resisted the urge. Aeryn Sun was in no mood for his advances. Might never feel she could turn to him but if he was patient, that could change. Besides he was not doing this for Aeryn. He was doing it for Crichton.

* * * * *

D'Argo was impatient with Jothee. "What are you talking about?"

Jothee had a petulant look on his face. "Crichton is trouble. Wherever he goes, trouble follows."

His father looked at him with open disbelief. Not able to believe what he was hearing. "He saved your life. But for him you would still be a prisoner."

"I know but I've seen him. He talks to people who aren't there." He softened his voice, not wanting to hurt his father but still wanting to make his point. "He is putting us in danger simply by being aboard this ship."

Anger and pain flared in D'Argo's hearts. "I am not listening to this, Jothee! If you knew the things John has endured, the suffering, the torture, you would not speak like this. You would not shame me with your words."

"I don't mean to shame you or to seem ungrateful. I am only speaking the truth and if he was sane he would agree with me."

"He *is* sane!"

Jothee looked at his father and said nothing, just shook his head sadly and started to head for the door. Before he stepped through it he paused and looked back. "I hope you're right because if you're wrong my words will haunt us all. *If* we live that long."

D'Argo growled but did not answer, too angry to speak. Afraid that if he tried his temper would bring him to blows with his only son. He had not got him back simply to lose him again. His thoughts were interrupted by a great shudder. He braced himself just as Zhaan's voice floated over his com. "D'Argo, Aeryn, get up here!"

The Luxan groaned and rolled his eyes, leaving his quarters at a run with his Qualta blade in hand. Hoping that Jothee's words were not about to come true. Several times he almost lost his footing as Moya began to pitch and roll eratically. "What is wrong with Moya?" D'Argo shouted.

"I don't know," Said Zhaan. "Pilot is trying to calm her, something has got her terrified!"

He swore and carried on running, emerging in command just as Crais appeared. He looked tense, his expression serious. "I have to go to Talyn."

Aeryn came in behind him and shook her head as she headed for the controls. "No one's going anywhere."

"You don't understand, Talyn is distressed. He needs me."

Zhaan looked intrigued. "Why is Talyn distressed?"

"I do not know but he senses something is wrong."

Chiana tilted her head. "Senses what?"

He frowned and shook his head. "I'm not getting anything clearly, he's too upset."

Chiana looked surprised. "You can *hear* him from here?"

He nodded. "Yes. Since accepting the Hand of Friendship my link to Talyn has deepened on a daily basis."

The Nebari looked impressed. Rygel made a face behind her. "That's all very well but if you are now an ally like you say you are shouldn't you be staying here to help us?"

"I am *not* running away, Rygel. Talyn needs me. We all know some of the things he is capable of when he gets upset." That sobered everyone. "I will go and try to calm him. He may be able to tell us what is wrong with Moya."

Just then there was a much more violent shudder. Rygel looked alarmed. "What the yotz was that?"

Aeryn frowned. "Felt like something hit us."

"There's nothing but us out here," Said Chiana.

"Nothing that we can *see*." Murmured Aeryn drily.

Aeryn suddenly noticed that all the colour had drained from Crais's face. "Crais, what is it?"

"Peace Keepers."

D'Argo glowered darkly. "Where?"

Another shudder wracked the ship. They could feel Moya pitch and yaw but she did not move either forwards or back. Crais turned a pale face on them all. His next words chilling them. "Talyn says they have just remotely fitted a Peace Keeper collar to Moya."

Chiana shrank back, unable to hide the fear in her eyes. D'Argo frowned at Crais. "Who are they?"

"The Command Carrier coming towards us."

Aeryn swore. "Frell! How did they find us?"

Crais answered in a hollow voice. "I think I know how. They must have followed Talyn."

As he spoke Pilot confirmed the bad news. "A Peace Keeper Command Carrier has just come into range of our sensors. It is approaching fast and demanding we hand over Crichton."

Aeryn looked sick. She exchanged a look with D'Argo then looked at Crais. "You betrayed us. You led them here!"

He shook his head. "No, you have to believe me..."

D'Argo stepped passed Aeryn and pointed his qualta blade at Crais' throat. "I should have killed you when you first came aboard."

Before anyone could say anything else Pilot interrupted. "A transmission is just coming in."

Aeryn sucked in a breath. "Let's hear it, Pilot."

A smooth silky voice insinuated itself across the com link. It was Scorpius. "You cannot escape. Prepare to be boarded!"

"Can we go to starburst, Pilot?" Whispered Aeryn urgently.

He shook his head sadly, his four arms checking all Moya's readings, communing with the biomechanoid ship but having no good news. "Moya confirms that she is in restraint. The Peace Keeper collar is even now injecting a sedative into her. We cannot escape. Moya has been captured."



end

Series this work belongs to: