Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 7 of Aftermath
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,607
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,214

Hope

Summary:

Crais realises they have been betrayed and takes a gamble to try to help Crichton.

Work Text:

Aftermath 7: Hope
A "Farscape" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL


Crais was trying to come to terms with what had happened. Work through everything he had said and done, all that occurred had since he had contacted the Peace Keeper medical ship. He was furious but kept an iron control on his feelings. Crichton was now back on board Talyn. He was keen to sever the link to the medical ship as soon as he could. Something did not feel
right but he did not want to stay here to fathom it out. He wanted distance. Lots of it. Now. Talyn automatically acted on his thought, put that wish into action. The starburst was a long one. The stars unknown to Crais, but then most of them were out here in the Unchartered Territories. He did not stop to wonder where Moya was. Time enough for that when he had discovered exactly what they had done to Crichton. He had promised to protect him and he had failed. It was a peculiarly bitter taste in his mouth.

Talyn. Check all your systems. We have been compromised. In particular carry out a detailed diagnosis of Crichton. Every link and pathway. Every neural connection. Every cell in his body must be checked. As quickly and as thoroughly as possible. Anything that looks as if it should not be there must be purged

The ship trembled slightly, sensing Crais's concern. Knowing something was very wrong.

Crais nodded, injecting calm into his voice. Yes, Talyn. I trusted the medtechs. The error is mine

Talyn tried to comfort him. Take the blame from him but he would not shirk it. He paced the deck then stood beside the pod bay where Crichton lay, once again hooked up to Talyn. The leviathan's environmental systems taking over his own very weak human ones. The breath the leviathan gave him was the only air pumping into his failing lungs. It was like being on life support. Talyn interrupted his thoughts with news. It was not good. Crichton was getting weaker. Talyn was not sure he could keep a hold of his lifesigns. Crais felt tears prick his eyes. Help him, Talyn. Whatever you have to do

He felt the sorrow in Talyn through their linkage, the leviathan distressed because there was nothing he could do. Crais reached out and gently touched Crichton's cheek. It was white now. More like that of a Nebari or a Nemchuk-Ra Death Mask. He stroked the cool cheek, so quickly becoming like ice, no response to his touch now. No echo from his thoughts, sarcastic or otherwise. Fear stabbed his heart. He could not let him die. He had made a vow. Talyn, can you stabilise if you link Crichton to me?

There was a pause then a nervous tremble allowing the possibility. Talyn did not know if it would work. Was worried it might harm Crais. Crais removed his tunic, kicking his boots off and stepping over to the pod bay next to Crichton's. We have no choice, Talyn. I place myself completely in your hands

He felt the ship shudder in fear and tried to steady him. Crais climbed up into the pod bay and lay down. He could not see Crichton from this angle because the sides of the pod bay formed an upraised lip that was higher than his body. Soon he would be directly linked to Crichton, using Talyn to augment the human's energy and stabilise his lifesigns by drawing on Crais. Talyn was about to connect him, the tubes lining up to seal against his neck when Crais spoke to him one last time. Talyn. One more thing. If I am right, there will be a Peace Keeper ship coming after us. Probably Scorpius. Under no circumstances must we be taken, do you understand?

The ship trembled, the lights flickering with fear.

No, Talyn, we will not be taken by Peace Keepers again. Do whatever you have to do, take whatever measures you have to in order to make that a fact. You have my permission to use lethal force

Talyn steadied slowly. Asking tentatively what to do if he could not avoid capture.

Then you must initiate self destruct

The ship dipped in panic. Crais was calm. Never had he been so calm.

If that happens Talyn, do not fear. I shall be with you. Always

* * * * *

Zhaan found Aeryn on the Terrace. She was sitting on the floor staring out at the stars, hugging her knees and seeing nothing. Zhaan knew she was upset but it had been three Solar Days and there had been no word from Crais. She was beginning to fear the worst.

"It's my fault, Zhaan. I knew this was wrong but I let him take John."

"It's not your fault, Aeryn. We all agreed."

Aeryn turned a tear streaked face towards her. "But I *knew*, don't you understand? Every instinct in my body was screaming at me not to let him go and I ignored the warnings."

Zhaan tilted her head gently. "You could not have known, Aeryn. We are all to blame."

She turned away to face the stars again and dried the tears on her face with her hands. "What about Moya? Has she been able to pick up any trace of Talyn?"

"No, nothing." Zhaan paused. "Moya will continue to keep looking, Aeryn."

Aaeryn nodded unable to speak. Zhaan sighed gently, her face sad, and left quietly. Aeryn watched the stars glisten and remembered all the times she had shared this view with Crichton. It had become their special place. And now she would never be able to share it with him again.

* * * * *

The Chief Surgeon looked at the med tech officer in surprise and horror. "You did *what*?"

The med tech officer had straightened himself up to his full height. "Carried out the protocol set in place by Commander Scorpius."

"On whose authority?"

"First Command."

All the colour left the Chief Surgeon's face. He should have known the Scarran half-breed would have spies even on his ship. The med tech officer tried not to look too smug. "I have a message for you sir, from Commander Scorpius."

He looked at his duplicitous second in command and nodded dully.

"He said to tell you, 'Scorpius rewards those who serve him'."

The Chief Surgeon sank down into his chair, his legs no longer able to hold him. Shock reverberated throughout his system. He knew what would happen now. The med tech officer waited.

"You may go."

He gave a short curt bow and left. The Chief Surgeon put his face in his hands and knew there was no escape. He cursed Crais. Why the frell did he have to pick on his medical ship? He steadied himself. Years of Peace Keeper training straightening his back as his hands fell away from his face. He did not want to wait to be declared irreversibly contaminated. To be dragged away in magnacuffs. Installed on a prison ship to the outer colonies to spend his life in servitude as an enemy of First Command. That is if they did not execute him first. He got up slowly. Knew what he had to do. He crossed to his desk and entered a security code. A light flashed and a narrow draw slid out. He removed the injector gun with the kill shot and looked at it for a moment. At least it would be quick. Quicker than it would take a Peace Keeper gunship to reach him and magnify his downfall for all to witness. At least he could be spared that. He placed the killshot over his heart and pulled the trigger. He juddered then was flung backward, landing in an agonised rictus as death swiftly swept through his body and robbed him of life. Slowly his hand relaxed its' grip. The injector gun slid out of his grasp across the shiny floor.

The med tech officer watched on a hidden viewer and a smile skated over his face. He patched in the code for Scorpius and waited for the Commander's image to fill his screen. "Your message has been passed, sir."

Scorpius smiled slowly. "I trust he has been well rewarded?"

"Yes, sir."

The Scarran half-breed's smile widened with pleasure. "Resignation accepted. Effective immediately."

Then the screen went blank.

* * * * *

Crais felt the connection so tentatively. It was like trying to catch fish in your open hands, not even able to cup them in the water. He knew the fish were there but had no way to grasp them, just get an occasional feel of them as they brushed his hand in passing. John. Can you hear me?

The silence worried him. He tried to remind himself how much the human had been through. The levels of pain he would have to endure just to make contact. He hoped this would work. His eyes were closed, his total concentration on linking with Crichton. He gasped, pain radiating throughout his body as he touched the human consciousness. Then it blinked out like a light. He shuddered in shock and his eyes flew open. Panic. He cannot die, he must not die. I gave my word He felt Talyn touch his mind with anxiety. It's okay, Talyn. I'm trying to link with Crichton but he is so weak He felt Talyn's concern brush his mind then withdraw. He thanked the leviathan for his concern and got back to work. Talyn continued the slow transfer of energy from Crais to Crichton, careful not to take too much or to go too quickly.

Crais tried again. John. John, can you hear me? This is Crais

Silence. He felt a depth of sorrow start to creep through him that he would not have thought possible. Then something burned. Pain shot up his arm and made him numb. He opened his mouth to cry out as the heat turned to ice, stinging him with cold fusion. He felt the arythmia in his chest, fought to steady his breathing, struggled not to panic. His thoughts eratic and scattering. He tried to hang on to some semblance of sanity. Images appearing in his mind that he had never seen before. A place he had never been. Water, so much water. A wooden pathway alongside the water. What was this place?

Earth. It's Earth

He felt tears in his eyes. John, is that you?

Yeah, Crais. It's me. What the hell happened?

We were tricked

Tricked?

The medical ship, I should have realised. Scorpius had spies aboard. The moment I contacted the ship, the spies contacted Scorpius


He felt the panic in Crichton, strove to steady him. The link weakening momentarily until Crais got the hang of it. Oh God, Scorpius? Is he here?>

No. We left as soon as I realised. They operated but they did something, I'm not sure what

What do you mean they *did* something?

When you came out of surgery you could speak but you were blinded


For a moment Crichton said nothing. Blinded? How'd they do that?

My guess is they severed something in your brain. A connection

Great Crais, that's just great

It could have been something else, could be just a temporary condition to incapacitate you


He felt depressed laughter. It rang through Crais like a dull bell. Yeah, that's a good one. Why would anyone want to incapacitate me? It's not like I can go anywhere, Crais

I think it's an attempt by Scorpius to make sure he does not lose you again

I'm touched
Crichton's thought scathed. Crais smiled, glad to feel some of his humour returning.

How do you feel

As if I've been peeled, boiled and had my eyeballs sucked out of my nose. How do you think I feel?


Crais chuckled and decided to experiment, reaching out with his thoughts, seeking to comfort him if he could. Imagining his thoughts sifting through all the wounded areas of the human's mind, calming him and easing the raw pain that wracked through him. He felt a sigh of pain, so deep and intense that he almost lost his concentration. He tried again. This time he was not rejected. He begged Talyn to aid him, give him some of the ship's unique biomechanoid power. As the ship complied he was able to adjust that power, that energy, to pass on to Crichton. The first sign that it was having any effect was when he felt the human touch his mind in a tentative response. A broad but gentle stroke. Cautious and careful not to inflict any pain. Crais was ridiculously pleased. That's good, John>

You can feel that?

Yes

How did you do that, Crais?

I borrowed some energy from Talyn after giving you some of mine

You mean you hooked yourself up to me?

Through Talyn. Yes


His thoughts fell silent. Crais frowned. Is everything alright?

Yeah, yeah, everything's peachy. I'm just....I'm just surprised that's all. I never kiss on a first date

What?

It's okay, I just mean I didn't expect you to do that for me. It's not like we're friends or anything

I felt I owed you

No man, you don't owe me a thing Crais


Both fell silent for a few microts. Crichton was starting to feel tired again. Drifting, but he did not want to lose this connection to Crais. Crais understood. His thoughts strangely soothing and comforting. I'm not going anywhere, John. Rest

I'm afraid to sleep

You have to build your strength back up

I know. Don't leave me

I won't

Promise

I am here am I not?

I wish I could feel you

Feel me? How?

"You know, touch, sensation


Oh Crais thought about that and asked Talyn. Talyn gave him some ideas. Hold on John, I'm going to try something. I want you to reach out with your mind to me, I will see if I can pick up on that

Crichton tried, but it was so painful he kept losing the image. Panic was starting to set in. Crais urged him to try again. Relax, John. Follow my thoughts and reach out...

He reached out. He really did. With every last atom of strength he could muster but his strength was failing him. He was starting to flounder, about to give up when something touched him. Had he imagined it? What was that? What the hell was that? He tried again, this time the touch solidified in his mind. Strong, distinct, male. Crais

Yes, John, I am here


He touched him with his mind and felt him. The relief that poured through him was almost more than he could bear. Crais gently caressed his thoughts, let him feel the connection and be assured that he was safe. You can sleep now, John

He was so grateful he wanted to cry. But he had no control over his body. Only these fragmented thoughts would obey him, and then only because of Crais. Thanks

Crais continued to touch him gently, knowing Crichton was finding comfort in his presence. It was the only way he could be sure he was not alone. You are welcome Crais said gently, the thought washing over Crichton and bringing him peace. Amid all the pain and the panic, it was the only constant he cared about. The only thing that gave his heart any hope.

END

Series this work belongs to: